Docstoc

FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS' NETWORK201111215340

Document Sample
FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS' NETWORK201111215340 Powered By Docstoc
					FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS’ NETWORK
Registered Charity number : 1103006                 Yvonne West, Development & Participation Worker
                                                       C/o Forest Area Office, Naas Lane, LYDNEY,
                                                                      Glos GL15 5AT
                                                                 Tel. No.: 01594 844563
                                                       e-mail: yvonne.west@gloucestershire.gov.uk
                                                     website: www.forestyouthworkersnetwork.org.uk


               FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS’ NETWORK
                       ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

                        Held on Friday 17th September 2010
              at Splinters Youth Centre, Causeway Road, Cinderford


PRESENT:

Mark Bick                 Forest Music Makers
Gill Drew                 G.E.O.R.G.E.
Julie Drew                G.E.O.R.G.E.
Maria Edey                Forest of Dean District Council
Sally Gibson              Cinderford Artspace
Sam Hanly                 Young Gloucestershire
Anne Hollingworth         Gloucestershire Young Farmers
Jane Jarman               Forest of Dean Youth Workers Network Chair
Revd Steve Jarvis         Diocese of Gloucester
Pam Jones                 Forest Pulse
Steve Jones               Forest Gate Church
Jamie Lee                 Found in the Forest Youth Theatre
Terry O’Shaughnessy       Tall Ships Trust
Julie Shaw                Glos Youth Support Service – Splinters
Erica Sheppard-Aldecoa    Lydney Youth Café
Graham Spearman           Glos Youth Support Service & Network Treasurer
Poppy Turpin-West         Play Gloucestershire – Forest Play Rangers
Julie Vale                Teens in Crisis
Yvonne West               FODYWN Development and Participation Worker
Mark Westwood             1st Aylburton & Lydney Scouts
Martin Williams           Royal Forest of Dean Scouts
Kate Wyatt                Forest of Dean District Council


1.    WELCOME & APOLOGIES:

      Jane Jarman opened the meeting with words of welcome. As there were lots of new
      faces, Jane asked everyone to introduce themselves.

      Apologies were recorded from:

      Sonia Brown         CANDI
      Steve Bullock       University of Gloucestershire
      Tracy Clark         Young Gloucestershire
      Katrina Cracknell   Forest Community Church
      Roger Drury         Soundwork Community Projects
      Sue Fellows         CANDI
      Anna Gregory        Shelter
      Trevor Hek          Freeminer Explorer Scouts
      Pat Jones           Whitecross After School/Holiday Club
         FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS’ NETWORK
                                            Registered Charity number : 1103006


     Di Landon             Westbury-on-Severn Youth Project
     Rita Mulvaney         Forest of Dean Youth Workers Network Executive
     Don Norris            Sedbury & Tidenham Scouts
     Gareth Ovens          1st Royal Forest Scout Group
     Nick Penny            Music Industry Services
     Rachel Shilston       Cinderford Artspace
     Keith Urch            Young Anglers Project
     Rachel Watkins        Coleford Youth Centre


2.   MINUTES FROM THE NETWORK AGM 2009:

     Jane presented the minutes from the AGM of 18th October 2009. There were no
     outstanding actions or matters arising. There was one amendment to be made as
     Maria Edey was not recorded as attending. The Minutes were accepted as a true
     record, proposed by Graham Spearman and seconded by Kate Wyatt.


3.   RECEIPT OF NETWORK REPORTS:

     Network Financial Report 2009/2010

     Graham presented the written financial report. Graham would like to record the
     Network’s thanks to Gloucestershire County Council for its continued support and to
     the Forest of Dean District Council for the Service Level Agreement which runs until
     March 2011. The Network also records its thanks to Gloucestershire Community
     Foundation for the Grassroots grant which currently funds the training programme.
     The Youth Opportunity Fund has also provided funding for Youth Forum events
     during the year. Graham confirmed that the Redundancy Fund matches the incurred
     liability. The Network Financial Report 2009/2010 was accepted as a true record of
     the accounts, proposed by Mark Bick and seconded by Pam Jones.

     Network & Forest Youth Forum Annual Report 2009/2010

     Jane presented the combined written report on the Network and Forest Youth Forum
     activities in the past year, prepared by Yvonne West. Jane highlighted the level of
     representation at county and district meetings and the subsequent dissemination of
     information – if there was no Network, each Network member would have to attend
     these meetings individually. Jane also drew attention to the training programme
     which has been funded through Grassroots and, previously, Awards for All grants.
     Since 2005, the Network has facilitated 23 training courses benefiting 321 people.
     Based on an average cost of £30 per person, the Network has provided £9,630 worth
     of free training held locally in the Forest. Without the Network, member groups would
     have to pay fees and travel expenses to receive the same training. Network
     members are constantly being asked about their training requirements and having
     those needs responded to.


4.   DISCUSSION RE THE ROLE AND FUTURE OF THE NETWORK

     This Agenda item has been raised out of a feeling of lack of support for the Network.
     The Service Level Agreement for the Network is being reduced.                Funding
     applications from the Executive Group have been unsuccessful. It is becoming more


                                           2
    FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS’ NETWORK
                                       Registered Charity number : 1103006


and more difficult to find funding and people willing to serve on the Network
Executive. The benefits of the Network have already been highlighted – no other
district has a Network like ours. With all the funding cuts, we need to stand together
and speak with one voice. However…. if the feeling is the Network is not useful, then
there will be no need to elect an Executive Group and formal notice will be given to
disband the Network.

Erica Sheppard-Aldecoa would like the Network to continue and, since coming into
post as Manager of the Lydney Youth Café, has received valuable information and
support from the Network. The Network has also helped Erica to make sure her staff
and volunteers receive the training they need at no cost and in their local area.

Members were asked to split into 3 small groups, led by Jane Jarman, Graham
Spearman and Kate Wyatt, to discuss 5 questions.

1. What do you get out of the Network?

 Group 1:    •   Communication
             •   Good training (food hygiene, first aid, etc.)
             •   Information
             •   Being a focal point for partnership working/joint bids
             •   Additional support/less isolation
 Group 2:    •   Free training
             •   Lots of local info
             •   Opportunities for young people to get involved i.e. Trash Fashion
             •   Influence and input of young people into council/consultation
             •   Raises expectation amongst young people that they have a voice
             •   Empowers young people to speak/raise funds/volunteer/lead
             •   Networking (local) staff and volunteers
             •   FYF is at the core giving young people confidence
             •   Gives opportunity young people wouldn’t otherwise have
 Group 3:    •   Training
             •   Expert help/support
             •   Somebody who sifts the rubbish for us and sends us filtered weekly
                 important info
             •   Signposting to other services
             •   Equipment to hire (see website)
             •   Strength in numbers
             •   Voice for young people
             •   Events that somebody else has organised e.g. Forest Challenge,
                 Trash Fashion
             •   Help with identifying funding
             •   Catalyst for activity, getting us together
             •   Example of good practice
             •   Opportunity for young people to learn skills for future
             •   Local decision making (young people) re funding



                                      3
    FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS’ NETWORK
                                        Registered Charity number : 1103006


2. What would you like the Network to do?

 Group 1:   •   Set up a skills database/equipment
            •   Keep publicising!
            •   Help page on website
            •   Mobile team challenge
            •   Lobbying and campaigning
            •   PDF leaflet on Network
            •   Members publicity day
            •   Intro to youth work courses
 Group 2:   •   Sustain Youth Forum – priority
            •   Continue things it does well – info/training/skills sharing
            •   Advocacy for voluntary sector in youth work – good value for money!
            •   Advocacy for district
            •   Could be outward looking – practically helping others – charities, old
                people’s homes, intergenerational engagement, encourage young
                people to be more socially involved? Already happening?
            •   Need Yvonne
 Group 3    •   All of the above (question 1)
            •   More successful funding applications
            •   Resurrect the networking meetings
            •   For sale and wanted/exchange centre/resources
            •   Need to make people more aware of what Network offers

3. Do you think the Network should continue in light of funding cuts? Why?

 Group 1:   •   Yes! Should we charge an annual membership?
 Group 2:   •   Yes but match activity to available funds
            •   Network needs to continue to support youth forum
            •   Revise objectives to link to current priorities and activities – new era
 Group 3:   •   Particularly because of the spending cuts, we need to maintain the
                Network - we need to work together
            •   Need to resurrect the contact opportunities

4. What can you do to support maintaining the Network?

 Group 1:   •   Meet more often
            •   Publicise it!
 Group 2:   •   Sally – join Exec
            •   Support Youth Forum to put forward case for continuation of
                Yvonne’s post – Network members meet with young people
 Group 3:   •   Need publicity campaign to promote what the Network does and can
                offer
            •   Skills share database – pick up on membership forms



                                      4
         FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS’ NETWORK
                                            Registered Charity number : 1103006


                  •   Lydney shop front display opportunity 30 Oct for 2 weeks
                  •   Update the website, pictures, and asking for members to help
                  •   Action Plan + vision

     5. How often should the Network meet and what should those meetings offer?

      Group 1:    Quarterly/termly with speakers and Annual members publicity day
      Group 2:    • Priority = young people meeting with Network and do things
                  • Information gets disseminated well as it is
                  • AGM is enough unless new developments (funding)
      Group 3:    • Termly – 3 at least with speakers, nibbles and Information share
                     from groups (advance notice)

     Jane and Graham will be invited to the District Council to give a presentation about
     the Service Level Agreement and report back on how successful the Network has
     been in meeting its targets. The question was raised as to whether Youth Forum
     members would be involved. Several members also voiced their willingness to give
     independent support to ensure the continuation of the SLA. Kate Wyatt gave
     information on the I’m A Councillor Get Me Out of Here project which goes live on 4th
     October. Young people in the district will have the opportunity to put forward
     questions to District Councillors who will be standing for election as Young People’s
     Engagement Champion. This is an ideal opportunity for youth forum members in
     particular to ask about funding of the Network and activities for young people.


5.   ELECTION OF NETWORK EXECUTIVE GROUP MEMBERS:

     Jane thanked Gareth Ovens, Pam Jones, Jamie Lee, Kate Wyatt, Rachel Shilston,
     Rita Mulvaney and Graham Spearman for serving on the Executive Group for the
     past year.

     Jane outlined the responsibilities and commitment of the Network Executive Group.
     The Group meets every 6 weeks and the main responsibilities are to monitor the
     Service Level Agreement Indicators, ensure the charity is financially solvent, share
     information and plan regular Network meetings. The Executive Group also submits
     funding applications on behalf of the Network to fund activities, training and staff.

     Nominations for the 2010/11 Executive Group were accepted from Graham
     Spearman, Jane Jarman, Jamie Lee, Pam Jones, Erica Sheppard-Aldecoa, Sally
     Gibson and Kate Wyatt. Gareth Ovens was elected in his absence, having
     previously expressed his willingness to stand.

     Martin Williams requested a vote of thanks be recorded on behalf of Network
     members to those who have served on the Executive for the past 12 months.


6.   TRAINING REQUIREMENTS FOR 2010/11

     All attendees were asked to complete a Network Training Needs Form to identify
     what training would be most useful during the coming year. A reminder that only
     Network member organisations will be entitled to attend free training. The Network is


                                           5
     FOREST OF DEAN YOUTH WORKERS’ NETWORK
                                        Registered Charity number : 1103006


intending to apply to Awards for All to fund the next year’s training programme.
Suggestions for training courses included:

•   Zumba training ☺
•   Creativity training
•   Food Hygiene
•   Basic Intro to Youth Work skills for new volunteers/leaders (short or day course)
•   Charity Commission responsibilities
•   Health and Hygiene certificates
•   Data Protection – implications
•   Safeguarding update
•   First Aid – again please for new staff/volunteers
•   Self Harming
•   Dance workshop
•   Risk Assessments, form filling, legal requirements
•   Working with young adults
•   Fundraising and bid completions
•   Ways to market activities
•   Grant applications
•   Adventurous activities
•   Counselling skills
•   Smoking, drugs and alcohol awareness




                                       6

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:23
posted:3/14/2011
language:English
pages:6