26 September, 2005
• Giving high-quality shape and color to
ceramics for decoration and and interior
• High quality means artistic design, “the
touch of master’s hand”.
• The value added is much more than all
operational expenses due to artistic value!
• This is one aspect for possible
development of Armenian economy.
Reasons for Success
• Using inexpensive clay.
• Using artists services.
• Entering the world market
by special production, NOT
traditionally perfectly flat
and “boring” design!
• Looks like experimental production for future
• Order based production.
• Some diversity of orders:
- mosaic - use of various Armenian stones;
- specific ornamental elements;
- specific orders replicating famous artists’
Again important to note that all these types
specify different operational logics.
• The main process is a strait flow.
• Raw material and end product inventories.
• Total WIP is not very large.
• Actually no Setup times.
• The capacity of the main operation is
defined by the capacity of the kiln - speed
of the conveyer movement.
• Requires constant maintenance - need to
1. Raw clay storage; 6.Forming (shaping);
2. Clay grinding; 7.Drying;
3. Mixing with water - 8.First kiln;
for uniformity and 9.Putting colored
SEPARATION of pattern and glaze -
hard particles. colors are changing
4. Extraction of water during the next
through filter press; process.
5. Additional grinding 10.Second kiln
for uniformity, pack 11.Packaging.
• Waste percentage is relatively small - but
not very well controlled.
• Waste comes from cracking due to:
- clay non-uniformity, air and water bubbles;
- metallic ingredients;
- mechanical damage;
- temperature non-uniformity;
- timing violation.
• Important to note that all wastes are being
associated with extra expense and not only
the waste when the material is lost.
• Using the existing facility that is not
specifically designed for this kind of
• Dirt and Dust - connected to the
wrong facilities layout and to the
fact that the space is not
specifically designed for this type
• How one can wash the machines?
• Moisture, noise, lighting.
• Many violations of safety!
• Chemical evaporations from the kiln
• There is also risk for electrical shock.
• No signs at all!
• In order to overcome this situation there
should be some regulations preventing
• However this means more investment
from the company side.
• This kind of investment may increase the
productivity that will pay back much more
than the investment!
• Infrastructure negative effect!
• Cooperation with other companies
involved in interior design.
• More Marketing effort - shift from order
based production to mass production.
• Involvement of more artists.
• Adding more capacity,
• But first of all balancing:
Is this production
Relatively easy to
Value for the Country
• An example of a very high value adding
• Use of artistic abilities.
• Examples from Great Britain:
- High End Electronics
- Design Traditions
- … many other.
How to start writing a report?
• Look at the available information:
- Company web site;
- Your notes;
• Write your main points in the form of bullets
– a plan of report.
• Than add your comments, remarks,
suggestions, calculations or any other
• Only after this go to Internet, brochures, etc.
to illustrate and enrich your ideas.