Auditor by hkksew3563rd



          The Work

          An auditor's job is to check for accuracy and efficiency within an organisation. 'External' auditors
          examine financial accounts and are usually qualified accountants, whilst 'internal' auditors usually
          focus on policies and procedures.

          As an external auditor, you would independently review a company's accounts to make sure they
          are accurate and show a fair view of its financial position. You might also audit public sector
          organisations such as civil service departments and local councils, to check how public money is
          being spent and to see if savings can be made. Most organisations are required by law to publish
          audited accounts.

          Your work as an external auditor would involve:
           q examining company accounts

           q collecting and interpreting figures

           q identifying any problems or risks to the business

           q assessing the company's financial reporting systems

           q establishing good working relationships with clients

           q making recommendations for improvements.

          As an internal auditor, you would examine an organisation or department's policies, procedures
          and possibly its finances with a view to advising on how efficiency could be improved.

          Entry Requirements
          To become an
          external auditor
          , you must first qualify as a qualified chartered accountant with one of the following professional
             q Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)

             q Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)

             q Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)

             q Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (ICAI)

             q Association of International Accountants (AIA).

               If you are a member of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA), you
               can carry out audits in the public sector but not in private companies.

          To start training as an accountant with any of the above organisations, you will typically need:
            q at least three GCSEs (A-C) including English and maths, plus

            q two A levels, or equivalent qualifications or work experience.

          Contact the professional bodies for more details, and see related profiles for more information
          about training and qualifying as an accountant.

          If you are qualified with the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), you can carry
          out internal audits, but you cannot conduct external audits unless you take audit training with
          another accountancy body. See the Management Accountant profile for more information.
          To become an
          internal auditor
          , you don't have to be an accountant although it could be an advantage in certain jobs. If you are
          new to internal audit, you may find it helpful to take the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Certificate
          in Internal Audit and Business Risk. See the Qualifications section of the Institute's website for
          more details.
             q Institute of Internal Audiors


          You would normally work between 35 and 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with occasional
          overtime to meet deadlines at busy times. Part-time work may be possible.

          You could work from your own office or at the client's premises. Travel to other sites is often
          involved, which may mean possible nights away from home.


          Skills and Knowledge
            q   the ability to interpret figures and information
            q   excellent mathematical and IT skills
            q   good spoken and written communication skills
            q   strong analytical and problem-solving ability
            q   good organisational and time management skills
            q   a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
            q   the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
            q   a good understanding of business
            q   honesty and discretion, for dealing with sensitive business information.

          Training and Development

          To qualify as an authorised
          external auditor
          , you must:
             q have been a qualified chartered accountant for at least two years, and

             q hold a practising certificate and audit qualification from your professional body.

          To achieve the practising certificate, you must submit a record of your professional experience
          since qualifying. The way to gain the audit qualification will depend on the accountancy body you
          qualified with. For example:
            q ICAEW, ICAS, ICAI or AIA - at least one third of the post-qualifying experience in your professional

              training record must come from an auditing role
            q ACCA - you must have taken the Audit and Assurance exam option during your training, and later

              pass an Audit Orientation Course and Test.

          As an experienced
          internal auditor
          , you could take further qualifications and training from the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), such
             q Diploma in Internal Audit Practice

             q Advanced Diploma in Internal Auditing and Management.

          More Information

          Institute of Internal Auditors - UK and Ireland
          13 Abbeville Mews
          88 Clapham Park Road
          SW4 7BX
          Tel: 0845 883 4739

          Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
          29 Lincoln's Inn Fields
          WC2A 3EE
          Tel: 020 7059 5000

          Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
          Tel: 020 7920 8100

          Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (ICAI)
          Tel: 028 9032 1600

          Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
          Tel: 0131 347 0100

          Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA)
          3 Robert Street
          WC2N 6RL
          Tel: 020 7543 5600



          As an external auditor you could work for a firm of chartered accountants, or in the public sector for
          the National Audit Office (which audits central government departments).
            q National Audit Office

          As an internal auditor you could work for large companies in all kinds of industry, public sector
          organisations, or for firms that provide internal audit services to clients.

          Jobs may be advertised in the local, national and industry press, and by specialist recruitment
          With experience, you could specialise in an area such as taxation, insolvency or forensic
          accounting. You could also move into management or choose to work freelance.

          You may find the following useful for job vacancies and general reading (links open new window):

          Finance Professionals
          Careers In Audit
          Accountancy Age
          IIA Career Centre
          Public Finance

          We do not accept responsibility for the content of external sites.

            q Part-qualified salaries can be between £18,000 and £25,000 a year.
            q Once qualified, earnings are usually around £30,000 to £45,000.
            q Senior and management salaries can be between £50,000 and £70,000.

          Figures are intended as a guideline only.

          Related Profiles
          Company Secretary
          Private Practice Accountant
          Public Finance Accountant
          Tax Inspector


To top