Buyer Job Description
A West Chester Buyer is responsible for forecasting (planning) sales by sku, purchasing goods, and turning the
inventory (inventory turns) as needed to support company sales plans articulated by our Retail and Industrial
Division Management. Price and Quality are also key components of the Purchasing decision making process and
factor greatly into the process about how products are ordered. The Buyer will work closely with Marketing, Sales,
Warehouse staff, outside suppliers, etc., to ensure that department and corporate goals are met. The position reports
to the Procurement Manager.
Analyze assigned product categories on scheduled basis, determining items to be ordered per forecasts
and inventory targets, and place purchase orders accordingly.
Review product forecasts by item and recommend changes as needed, including changes in business (new
or lost sales) when notified by Sales.
Negotiate prices and delivery with suppliers.
Confirm suppliers’ acceptance of purchase orders and update SAP as needed.
Review vendors’ shipping status and performance; review shipping schedules and work with vendors to
prioritize and expedite shipments as needed.
Source products from other suppliers as necessary to ensure lowest cost, best quality and on-time
delivery, within framework of efficiently utilizing suppliers’ capacities.
Work with Sales and Marketing as needed to source new styles and calculate costs of such.
All other related duties necessary to ensure sufficient levels of inventory are maintained to support order
fill, inventory level and cost containment goals.
Manage company rework as determined in weekly production meetings
Required experience and knowledge:
1. Bachelor's Degree required or related job experience
2. Ability to manage multiple tasks at once
3. Must have strong decision-making and problem solving skills
4. Must have a sense of urgency and be deadline-oriented
5. Must have strong analytical skills
6. Must have strong interpersonal skills and communication skills.
7. Demonstrates attention to detail /organizational skills
8. Excellent written and verbal communications.
9. Ability to work independently within a team environment. .
Industrial or Retail buying experience – International (China/Asia) a plus.
Strong MS Office (including Excel) proficiency is a must.
Some travel may be required.