America grows and changes –
from 1790 - 1850
By: Mrs. Camuto
SOCIAL AND CULTURAL
*Changes in where people lived
*Changes in people’s social class
*Changes in Art and Literature
*Changes in Education
*Changes in the family
*Changes in the roles of men and women
*Changes in treatment of Native Americans
*Changes in immigration
Changes in ART!
• In art, the Hudson River School
• This was the first time American
painters like Thomas Cole, attempted
their own style.
• They focused on landscapes.
• They “broke away” from England’s
• Began to give America it’s own
Realistic paintings of landscapes!
• American writers began to write
using American themes!
• Famous novels like:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
James Fenimore Cooper by Washington Irving
• The Last of the Mohicans
by James Fenimore Cooper
became well known!
• Like the movement in art, it started
to give America it’s own identity!
(Changes in treatment of Native
• The white man wanted the Native
American’s land so they basically
took it took and forced them to move.
• In 1830, Jackson helped pass the
Removal Act. It forced the Native
Americans off their land.
• In 1838, 15,000 Cherokees were
forced to march hundreds of miles
from their homes.
• They were forced off their land and
sent to land west of the Mississippi
• The march was called the “Trail of
. Tears” because thousands died along
the way; mostly children and the
• This area deals with HOW America
and it’s people made MONEY!
• Things that effected this area
include . . .
Changes in ways people earned a
New technology and inventions
Changes in how things were produced
encarta.msn.com/media Changes in transportation
Changes in trade
CHANGES IN EARLY
• Robert Fulton’s 1st. Steamboat, the
Clermont, traveled up and down
the Hudson River.
• It changed the way goods were
• Shipping became much faster and
cheaper which made more money
for the farmers!
• Canals like the Erie Canal, allowed
farmers and others a way to ship
goods cheaply and much.
• The canals were manmade and
were put in areas which did not
have access by a major river.
Other Transportation advances:
• In 1806, for the first time
ever, Congress passed a law
funding a National Road –
• The road went from
Cumberland, Maryland to
Wheeling, West Virginia.
• It made travel easier and
• Other such roads soon
Advances in TECHNOLOGY!
• The TELEGRAPH was invented
by Samuel Morris.
• It worked by sending a series of
dots and dashed over a wire.
• It improved communication
greatly! Messages could be sent
in minutes instead of MONTHS!
• The SPINNING JENNY was
invented by James Hargreaves in
• His machine spun eight spools of
thread at a time.
• Later machines were able to spin
eighty at once!
• This invention changed the textile
www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk industry greatly.
The FIRST successful
FACTORY in the U.S.
• Started by Samuel Slater and
• It was a mill which spun yarn.
• Slater had memorized how the
mills back in England were set up.
• He brought that knowledge to the
U.S. and helped design the first
successful factory in America.
Another early American factory
• Francis Cabot Lowell was a Boston
area merchant who found a way to
improve on British textile mills.
• He put the spinning of thread and the
weaving of clothe all in ONE factory.
• The factory was started in Lowell
Massachusetts in 1821. By 1836,
more than 10,000 people lived there.
• The project was FINANCED by
Lowell and some other business men.
They formed the Boston Associates to
finance the mill.
and The Industrial Revolution!
• Eli Whitney came up with the
idea of INTERCHANGEABLE
• His idea was to use a machine to
make all parts the same!
• This saved time and money in
• His idea helped the Industrial
Revolution really grow!
CHANGES IN FOREIGN
• America went from
Washington’s idea of
“staying isolated” to the
idea of NEUTRALITY.
• Our goal was to trade
with ALL countries yet
we wanted to stay out of
their problems / “fights”.
• President Monroe was concerned that
European nations would try to establish
colonies in South America.
• He made a BOLD statement telling
Europeans to stay out of Latin America.
• America’s military was not really strong
enough to really uphold such a policy
however we had the backing of England.
• We still wanted to keep trading with all
• This statement by Monroe helped shape
America’s foreign policy for over 100
CHANGES IN POLITICS
CHANGES IN OUR LAND
(the way America looks)
• Americans had the BELIEF of
• This was the BELIEF that the United
States had the right and the duty to
expand form Ocean to Ocean.
• Americans did this many different
1.) bought land
2.) through wars / treaties
•Moving from ocean to ocean! 3.) took it
(especially from the Native Americans)
The LOUISIANA PURCHASE
• This purchase was made by
Thomas Jefferson in 1803.
• He spent $15 million on about
800,000 square miles of land
west of the Mississippi River.
• This almost doubled the size
of the United States.
Explorers of the Louisiana Territory
• Once Jefferson bought the
Louisiana Territory, he
needed someone to
explore the land.
• Lewis and Clark were sent
out to map out the land,
•Lewis and Clark had help exploring!
study the wildlife and
study the Natives living
• Pike also explored the
territory. He left about
one year after Lewis and
•Pike also explored this territory and had
Pike’s Peak named after him!
Know the following court cases!
• (know what they did and why they were
• Worcester vs. Georgia
• Gibbons vs. Ogden
• Marbury vs. Madison
(This case made the Supreme Court stronger
by giving it the power of Judicial Review)