EMOTIONAL QUOTIENT INVENTORY: YOUTH VERSION (EQ-I: YV™)
Authors: Reuven Bar-On, PhD
Purpose: To assess the emotional intelligence of children and adolescents.
Administer to: Individuals 7 – 18 years
Administration time: Long Version: 30 minutes (60 items); Short Version:10 minutes (30 items)
Scoring Options: Hand-scorable / Bureau Service/ Online
Training: Compulsory 3 – day accreditation training
Based on the original EQ-i for adults, the EQ-i:YV measures the level of emotional and social functioning in
children and adolescents. Based on the EQ-i model of emotional intelligence, the EQ-i:YV consists of items that
probe the respondent’s:
It is used to identify a child’s strengths and weaknesses and help develop skills needed for academic, personal and
Scales and Forms:
Positive Impression (validity)
Inconsistency Index (validity)
Other features include:
• Easy administration, scoring, and profiling of results.
• Positive Impression scale for identification individuals who may be attempting to create an exaggerated positive
impression of themselves.
• Correction factor that enables users to adjust for positive response styles.
• Inconsistency Index useful for detecting inconsistent response styles.
• General Mood which is a useful measure for interpreting a respondent’s overall level of emotional intelligence.
Areas of Application
Professionals can all use this tool in their professional environments to identify and assess the emotional health of
children and teenagers and to assist students in coping with demands at school that could lead to
underachievement, dropping out of school and / or the possible development of emotional and behavioural
• Profile Report: Graphically and numerically summarises the results for each scale along with a total score
representing overall functioning.
• EQ-i:YV (S): This short form is ideal for use in screening larger groups or situations when time with the
respondent is limited, or when assessing younger children.
The full-length version of the EQ-i:YV provides scores for all of the scales, as well as the two validity
scales. It is recommended for initial evaluations because it provides a broader assessment of
• EQ-i®: An adult version of this test.