Using SAP Equipment Master
Because of dual ownership
ICR issues, ICR depreciation
calculated on FI line items.
Requires link to line items,
both invoices and JVs.
We do not have centralized or
Receiving decentralized receiving.
Property items are tagged
and Tagging after the invoices are received
needs Invoice & needs
Asset can link
Property a link to
to feed to
Item Master Master
Why PM Equipment Master
1. Can expense PO item directly to WBS.
2. Links property back to PO.
3. Links property to HR.
4. Links property to Invoice.
5. Links property to Calibration.
6. Links property to Movement.
7. Provides Status Management
8. Can provide a web user interface.
9. Provides equipment hierarchy (parent/child).
10. Can track to location and responsible person.
11. 50 % of the necessary fields are in EM.
12. Very few unnecessary fields in EM.
13. Equipment Master can automatically create an Asset Master
Why Not PM Equipment Master
1. The link between EM & MM/FI requires serialization,
which in turn requires Material POs.
2. The link between EM & MM/FI requires Goods
• Would require a change in business processes on
Possible Campus Proposals
1 On campus we have the potential to create assets from the purchase order via an asset account
assignment category on the PO.
a) Split ownership will be a challenge.
b) ICR eligible property owned by private sponsor will be a challenge.
We can explore the use of settlements from a cost collector to an asset.
a) ICR eligible property owned by private sponsor will be a challenge.
3 We can also explore the use of material POs in ways Lincoln was not willing to explore because
they have discovered a good workaround to the Material PO problem.
a) Central or decentralized goods receipt would need to be implemented on campus in some
fashion, if we were to work with Material POs linked to PM Equipment linked to AM Assets.
b) This would at least link the equipment back to the invoice line items, which could update the
asset dollars in AM.
c) Does not solve the problem of JV line items, but requiring tag numbers on JVs might work.
4 Whatever we do we must figure out a way to link our property items to invoice line items and JV
A campus SAP Property Management Solution will be
A Lincoln SAP Property Management Solution is not
as challenging because there is no dual ownership and
central receiving is in place today.
A combined Solution will be VERY challenging!