Docstoc

First Aid for Accidental Poisoning Accidentally swallowing toxic

Document Sample
First Aid for Accidental Poisoning Accidentally swallowing toxic Powered By Docstoc
					First Aid for Accidental Poisoning

Accidentally swallowing toxic substances is a very common problem. Children are
particularly vulnerable as they are naturally inquisitive. It is critical to know what
steps to take in the event of an accidental poisoning. Accidental poisoning may be
fatal.

Poisoning can be caused by almost any substance. In a household the commonest
causes of poisoning are:
   • Medicines (such as an aspirin overdose)
   • Household detergents
   • Household plants (eating toxic plants)
   • Food poisoning (such as botulism)
   • Insecticides
   • Paints (swallowing)
   • Cosmetics (incorrectly used)
   • Illicit drug overdose (accidental or intentional)

Avoidance
  • Teach your children as early as possible what a "poison warning" sign looks
     like
  • Remove poisonous plants from your home or garden to be safe
  • Never use an old cool drink bottle to store chemicals or poisons
  • Drugs - prescription and non-prescription - should be kept out of the reach
     of children or people who have difficulty reading labels
  • Many non-food substances will be toxic if taken in large doses. Try to keep
     these items on high shelves or locked in cupboards if you have small
     children.

Preparedness
Keep the telephone number of your emergency services near the phone
Keep the number of your local poison unit available

FIRST AID STEPS

Recognise the symptoms and signs:
It may be difficult to tell if there has been accidental poisoning. Look for some of
the following:
    • Burns or redness around the mouth and lips, which can result from
        drinking certain poisons
    • Breath that smells like chemicals, such as paraffin or paint thinners
    • Burns, stains and odours on the person, on his or her clothing or on the
        furniture, floor, rugs or other objects in the surrounding area
    • Empty medication bottles or scattered pills
    • Vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain
    • Drowsiness, blurred vision, dizziness, sleepiness, unconsciousness
Call for Help: It is important to call for assistance as soon as you suspect an
overdose. Call your emergency services immediately.

Treatment

   •   Check the person's airway, breathing and pulse. If necessary, begin rescue
       breathing and CPR.
   •   Try to make sure that the victim has actually been poisoned. It is not
       always obvious.
   •   Call a poison unit
   •   Only induce vomiting if the poison unit or a doctor tells you to do so
   •   To induce vomiting give the person a glass of warm water containing 3
       teaspoons of salt or 1 spoonful of dried mustard
   •   If the victim vomits, clear the airway. Wrap a cloth around your fingers
       before cleaning out his or her mouth and throat.
   •   If the victim starts having convulsions, protect him or her from injury
   •   If poison has spilled on the victim's clothes, remove the clothing and flush
       the skin with water
   •   Reassure the person and keep him or her comfortable while getting or
       awaiting medical help. Try to keep calm; speak slowly and with
       confidence.

DO NOT

   •   DO NOT give an unconscious person anything by mouth.
   •   DO NOT induce vomiting unless you are told to do so by the poison unit or
       a doctor. A poison that burns on the way down the throat will also do
       damage on the way back up.
   •   DO NOT wait for symptoms to develop if you suspect someone has been
       poisoned.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:29
posted:3/3/2011
language:English
pages:2