PCB DESTRUCTION SERVICES
WITH KINECTRICS MOBILE PROCESSING UNIT (MPU)
EFFICIENT, SAFE & CONVENIENT CONTAMINANT PROCESSING
Kinectrics’ process was recently selected over a
number of other competing technologies for the
construction of the Toyota City (Japan) PCB
This fixed PCB destruction plant is fully
operational and currently destroying high-level
PCB liquid waste. It has been designed and
built to efficiently destroy 1,200 kg of pure PCBs
per day and is expected to remain in operation
The industry challenge for 10 years.
• Remove PCB-contaminated insulating oil from electrical equipment, Kinectrics’ Proven
destroy the PCBs and return clean oil to equipment
• Destroy high-level PCB liquid waste using an approved chemical Technology
• Effectively destroy other Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) without Kinectrics provides a full range of
using incineration. services for the destruction of PCBs and
• Reduce or eliminate potential liabilities by destroying PCB liquids at a other halogenated materials.
competitive cost, without the toxic emissions or spill risks associated
with transporting PCBs. An advanced low-temperature process
• Eliminate public concern that can be associated with incineration or developed by Kinectrics ensures PCBs in
other high temperature alternatives low-level PCB-contaminated insulating
oils and / or high-level PCB liquids or
An advanced, effective solution Askarels are totally, efficiently and
Kinectrics’ Mobile Processing Unit (MPU) can destroy up to 1.5 economically destroyed using an
metric tonnes of Askarel per day, processing both high and low- environmentally- friendly chemical
level PCB waste streams at the same time. Kinectrics’ low- method.
temperature process for liquid PCB, or other POP wastes, when
Kinectrics’ MPU has proven reliable in
combined with commercially available decontamination
over 20 years of service. Having
technologies for soil or electrical equipment such as capacitors
successfully treated nearly 10 million
and transformers, allows the complete elimination of toxic material
litres of PCB- contaminated mineral oil,
without the use of incineration or other high-temperature
Kinectrics’ MPU system has been proven
as an economical solution to a very
serious environmental problem.
The MPU can be operational within 24 hours of arrival on site and
can be demobilized within a few hours of completing the Kinectrics provides comprehensive
destruction project. services and consultation in all aspects of
PCB management. Put our expertise and
If the amount of waste to be treated so warrants, Kinectrics’ experience to work for you today.
process can be designed, built and operated as a fixed facility.
When treating low-level PCB-contaminated insulating oil,
Kinectrics’ low-temperature MPU destroys PCBs completely,
rendering more than 95% equivalent-to-new oil suitable for use in
electrical equipment, along with a small amount of non-toxic,
conventionally disposable sludge, consisting mainly of sodium
chloride, sodium hydroxide and harmless petroleum by-products.
High-level PCB liquid wastes, PCB waste streams from thermal desorption systems or other
solid decontamination processes can be efficiently destroyed using Kinectrics’ sodium-based
chemical destruction process.
In destroying other halogenated toxic materials, Kinectrics’ low temperature process efficiently
converts the toxic material into benign and / or re-usable compounds.
This environmentally-friendly approach to selectively destroy PCBs, and other halogenated toxic
materials, such as polychlorinated dibenzodioxins (PCDDs), polychlorinated dibenzofurans
(PCDFs) that may be present as contaminants in some Askarels, is also applicable to other
Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs).
The non-toxic by-products produced (sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide and petroleum by-
products) are potentially reusable as commodities, or can be disposed of by conventional means.
In contrast to thermal oxidation processes (incineration), there is no danger in Kinectrics’ process
for the formation of PCDDs and / or PCDFs. Kinectrics’ process is a low-temperature, closed-
system, reduction environment where the chlorine and other halogens are replaced by Hydrogen
atoms obtained from the mineral oil matrix.
Comprehensive client benefits
• Price competitive with other destruction processes
• Eliminates or reduces the high cost of the public consultation process required for
• Eliminates additional expenditures for the replacement of the mineral oil, if the original
PCB-contaminated oil is incinerated.
• Lowers costs by allowing simultaneous destruction of high and low-level PCBs
• Eliminates the need for long-term PCB storage and avoids the associated financial risks
of fire or leakage
• Avoids high insurance premiums for PCB transport
• Minimizes volume of conventionally disposable post-production by-products (non-toxic)
• Produces essentially zero airborne emissions
• Enables recycling of oil in electrical equipment
• Permanently eliminates PCBs and other POPs from the environment
• Operates safely and reliably (technology proven for more than 20 years)
• Eliminates spill and emission risks associated with transportation
• Convenience of on-site treatment with mobile or fixed facilities
• No special site preparation when using mobile systems
• Small space requirements
• Short set-up and demobilization times
• Larger capacity than more cumbersome mobile thermal methods
• Greater acceptance by the public than other thermal alternatives
For more information, contact KINECTRICS INC.
Blair Sim 800 KIPLING AVE.
Civil & Environmental Solutions TORONTO, ON
M8Z 6C4 CANADA
Phone 416.207.6000 x6285 416.207.6000
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org WWW.KINECTRICS.COM