OVERSEAS TRAVEL – RISK ASSESSMENT
Form to be completed in all cases involving travel to a country outside the United Kingdom by staff
or students on College business. This form to be completed and given to the Health and Safety


Person(s) Travelling

Place(s) to be visited

Date(s) of visit

Brief description of work to be carried out

A Risk Classification Filter to be carried out for all visits (see guidance below)


             HIGH                  MEDIUM                 LOW

Are there other significant hazards on site that need to be controlled?
YES                                                 NO
Have you obtained necessary health advice and where appropriate vaccinations and
YES                                    NO                         N/A

Have you received the training and information necessary to undertake the work activity?
YES                                      NO                         N/A

Signed                                     Date

Risk Assessor

Signed                                     Date

Health and Safety Officer
Some overseas travel and work activities may not be significantly more hazardous than
travel to or work at location within the UK. However some form of classification is required
to ensure the health, safety and welfare of students and staff and to mitigate College
liability. To achieve this the following reasonably practicable control measures should be
implemented: -

Assessment and classification of the following into high, medium or low risk categories;

A European City or a location known by the traveller from previous experience or an area
with controlled access may be considered low risk.

A City in a less developed or under developed country, an area with planned high profile
event at time of travel (G7 Talks etc.) or known possible political unrest may be classified
as Medium risk.

A rural area in an undeveloped country or an area of known political unrest, areas where
there may be military action etc will be High risk.

Attendance at a conference or seminar in a controlled environment, a visit to an academic
or business institute with no practical work hazards may be classified as Low Risk.

Work that would require risk assessment if carried out under normal circumstances may
be Medium risk.

Field work or research of a practical nature may be High risk.

Short duration travel within Europe, Long Haul travel by recognised carrier or frequent
visits to a known location may be low risk.

Travel by unrecognised carrier (cheap air flights), internal travel in under developed
countries and back to back long haul travel with out reasonable interval rest. May
represent a Medium to High risk

The Individual
Individuals with a known background of travel experience who have no known ill health or
physical mobility issues may be considered low risk

Individuals who may be less mature, less experienced travellers, anyone with known
health problems (Heart, Respiratory, Diabetic etc.), or mobility limitations could be medium

First time overseas travellers, those with known health problems, those recovering from ill
health or surgery or female in the later states of pregnancy may be considered at higher

For College business which is classified as low risk in all the categories outlined above a
simple record of itinerary and contact details may be sufficient.
If there is a classification of medium or high risk for any of the categories above
consideration should be given to the need for a formal written risk assessment.

Where the travel is not by recognised passenger carrier, the risk assessment should also
include the travel arrangements.

Lone Working
Lone working is discouraged as far as possible. Where it is not practicable to avoid it, lone
working should only be sanctioned after a thorough assessment of the risks has been
carried out. Please speak to the Health and Safety Officer.

Health Matters
Obtain a copy of Health Advice for Travellers from any Post Office and check out any
Foreign Office travel advice on your destination country before you go at
www.fco.gov.uk/travel or call 0845 850 2829.

Obtain necessary vaccinations and immunisations and other relevant advice either through
your GP.

You will usually have to pay in advance for any medical treatment. You may be able to
claim some or all of the cost if:
    -     you have a European Health Insurance card for European Economic Area
          countries, or you are visiting a country with a reciprocal health care agreement;
    -     you are covered by holiday or other insurance. A travel agent or insurance
          broker can advise on the insurance needed for a particular country

If you develop any illnesses, fever or skin infections within two months of your trip abroad,
inform your doctor about your trip in case you contracted the infection while you were

Monitoring and review
Students on placements or extended working visits should be encouraged to use logbooks
in which they can record all their observations.

To top