AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY (ACT) SKILLED AND BUSINESS MIGRATION PROGRAM SETTLEMENT
Issue 3: October 2008
Welcome to Canberra – Your One-Stop Guide for the
G’day to all our friends out there! We had a wonderful time at Floriade this year, taking in the smells
and views of the magical flowers of spring. Summer is well and truly on its way now, so it’s time to
QUICK LINKS put away those jumpers and enjoy the sunshine. This month we’re bringing you a super edition, jam
• ACT Skilled Migration Program packed with some of the hottest sites in town as well as our regular features. There’s sure to be
• Visit Canberra something for everyone — shopping, sports, arts, music, or simply taking it easy. So take
• Live In Canberra advantage of the warmer weather and head out there for some action in the Capital and discover
• Arts Around Canberra
• Map of Canberra We’ve done our research and we thought we’d give you a heads up on some of the coolest spots
• Events in the ACT around town to hang out and enjoy summer in the Capital.
GOURMET GUIDE . . .
SETTLEMENT SERVICES To find out all about the Canberra dining experience check out the Gourmet Guide – your guide to
The ACT Government offers a range
of free settlement services to help
new migrants move to Canberra. PLAY . . .
Canberra residents enjoy a clean, safe natural environment. Walk, ride,
• a dedicated ‘Welcome to Canberra’
team member who will be in play, race … your way to a healthier life in the Canberra outdoors.
contact with you throughout the Check out the Get Out There! guide and see for yourself how to make the
whole process; most of the great wide open spaces, right at your doorstep.
• a meet and greet service on arrival; MEET A CHEETAH . . .
• a 2-hour guided tour of Canberra;
and National Zoo & Aquarium
• accommodation assistance and Indulge yourself or a loved one in a ‘touching experience’. Book a guided tour for you and the kids,
employment support. or just come along and check out the most amazing animals. > More
For further information contact Jenny
What’s On in November
OUR TEAM • Live In Canberra ‘Welcome Events’. These events are complimentary and exclusively for
people who have moved to Canberra in the past 12 months.
• Guided tour of the National Museum of Australia
• Behind the scenes look at Canberra Glassworks
Here is a snapshot of what’s on next month around town:
• Wine, Roses and all that Jazz: Various venues, Canberra city. Sip on some fine wine and enjoy
the view, while listening to the soulful sounds of jazz.
Our Skilled and Business Migration Team.
From left: Jenny, Julianne and Jeannine. • Paddy Pallin Adventure Race Series: If you love the outdoors and a little competition, then this
is for you. Grab your friends and join in on a day of mountain-biking, kayaking and on-foot
adventure. Want to find out more? Go along to a Paddy Pallin Gear & Info Night on Tuesday 28
October 6–9 pm, Paddy Pallin Store, Lonsdale Street, Braddon.
• Tea & Symphony — The Romance of Dance: Canberra Theatre Centre. For all you romantics
out there, this show will sweep you off your feet. Enjoy some of the best loved ballet
performances, including Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and The Nutcracker.
DIRECT FACTORY OUTLETS (DFO) • Round Town Films at Twilight: Garema Place. Get your dose of some of Hollywood’s biggest
One of Australia’s largest and best blockbusters every Saturday night in November, right in the heart of the city. Why not dine
value-for-money factory outlets has beforehand in one of the great restaurants and cafes in Garema Place? Pick from 5 movies, or
come to Canberra. Some of the maybe all if you’re a movie buff. Catch an ACTION bus with the family or friends for a fun night
biggest brands under the one roof out and a great outdoor cinema experience.
with up to 70% off! > More There is much more to keep yourself and the family entertained in November. See our Quick Links for
Phone: 1800 244 650 (Australia); +61 13 22 81 (International)