Limavady Heritage Trail Limavady Workhouse Limavady The Pauper’s Graveyard Workhouse A long thin plot of land adjacent to the workhouse PERIOD served as its third graveyard between 1841 and 1931. C19th/C20th It was placed as far as possible from the main workhouse GRID REFERENCE buildings for fear of cholera and other infectious diseases spreading to the other inmates. C6774 2299 TOWNLAND Many of those buried in this plot were victims of the Famine. A memorial plaque has been erected in the Rathbrady More centre of the graveyard and each year holds a memorial ACCESS service for those who died in the workhouse and Public access from were buried here. Scroggy Road Newtownlimavady Workhouse opened on 15th March 1842 PERIOD and admitted its first inmate on the same day. C19th/C20th Workhouses were built all over Ireland in response to the Irish GRID REFERENCE Poor Law Act of 1838. The workhouse system aimed to force C6765 2278 the lazy and idle into work, even when there was no work to be TOWNLAND found. Help was only given to people who entered the workhouse, where conditions were deliberately hard so people were not Rathbrady More encouraged to stay. ACCESS Irish workhouses were built to standard plans by architect George Wilkinson, who had designed several English workhouses. Guided tours of the Workhouse are available The Blind Fiddler Limavady is one of the best preserved workhouses in Ireland by appointment and is a good example of a medium sized workhouse, designed The most renowned resident of Limavady This tune is recognised the world over Please telephone LCDI to hold 600 inmates (though this almost doubled during the Workhouse was Blind Jimmy McCurry, also as The Londonderry Air. height of the Famine). on (028) 7776 9160 known as ‘The Blind Fiddler from Myroe’. Sadly, Jimmy’s health deteriorated and he Limavady Workhouse closed its doors to the poor in 1930, and Born in 1830, Jimmy often played his fiddle spent his last days at Limavady Workhouse. the last twenty healthy inmates were transferred to the Coleraine outside the Burns and Laird Shipping Offices He was buried in an unmarked grave at Workhouse. Thirty patients remained in the old Infirmary until in Limavady on market days. It is said that one Tamlaghtfinlagan Parish Church, Ballykelly. 1932 while the workhouse was converted into a District Hospital. day in 1851, Jane Ross, who lived opposite Roe Valley District Hospital opened in 1937 and continued to the Shipping Offices heard Jimmy playing. In 1910 an English lawyer by the name of serve the local community until 1997. Taken by the haunting melody, Jane asked Fred Weatherly put words to the tune that him to play it over and over until she had Jimmy McCurry had played for Jane Ross. The building has now been restored by Limavady Community The song was called Danny Boy. Development Initiative (LCDI). Visitors can see the original written down every note. gatehouse and one of the dormitories, and can access some Jimmy received one florin for his tune. of the fascinating archive salvaged by LCDI. LARGY SCHOOL DRUMSURN OLD CHAPEL CARNANBANE TOMB BC C19th C18th 4500-2500BC C19th C18th BALLYDONEGAN SWEATHOUSE LARGY POET’S HOUSE AUGHLISH STONE CIRCLE CAUSEWAY C18th C19th 2500BC T: (028) 7034 7234 MUSEUM SERVICE DRUMCOVITT HOUSE LARGY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH BROIGHTER HOARD FIND SPOT C18th C19th C1stBC E: firstname.lastname@example.org TANNYRANNY CHURCH C18th DRUMCEATT ASSEMBLY SITE LIMAVADY JUNCTION C1st C1st C19th THE RHELLICK, KILLEEN For more information please contact: C19th BLACK FORT C19th DRUMSURN RAILWAY STATION C5th/C12th C5th C19th LARGY BRIDGE C19th WHITE FORT Limavady’s Path MAGILLIGAN RAILWAY STATION T: (028) 7776 0307 C5th/C12th Through History LIMAVADY TOURIST C19th LIMAVADY WORKHOUSE INFORMATION CENTRE C19th KING’S FORT BELLARENA RAILWAY STATION C5th/ C12th E: email@example.com PAUPER’S GRAVEYARD C19th C19th TANDRAGEE FORT OS MARK MAGILLIGAN C5th/C12th BALLYKELLY OS BASE TOWER C19th C19th ROUGH FORT MAGILLIGAN MARTELLO TOWER C5th/C12th OS MARK BENBRADAGH Photography by: C19th C19th TAMNIARIN FORT Heritage Lottery Fund. SAMPSON’S TOWER C7th/C8th C7/8th ST MATTHEW’S GRAVEYARD C19th Tim Millen and Rachel Cassidy DRUMSURN BANAGHER OLD CHURCH C20th C20th Designed by Tandemdesign.co.uk LOUGHERY’S SCUTCHING MILL C12th C12th C19th LARGY ORANGE HALL BOVEVAGH CHURCH C20th KILHOYLE LIME WORKS C12th C19th LARGY PILLARS community outreach programme supported by the DUNGIVEN PRIORY GALVIN SCHOOL Limavady and Moyle. This project is part of a three year The Causeway Museum Service represents a partnership C20th C12th C19th between the four local authorities of Coleraine, Ballymoney, AGHANLOO AIRFIELD ST AIDAN’S CHURCH RITTER’S GENERATOR WW2 C13th C13th C19th WW2 Below is a timeline showing Limavady BALLYKELLY AIRFIELD CARRICK MILLS DUNGIVEN CASTLE WW2 C19th C17th/C19th C17th Heritage Trail sites in their historical context. Those featured in this guide are highlighted.