Rotherhope Fell Mine, Alston Moor The Rotherhope Fell mine (also known as Rodderup Fell) was located on Alston Moor, just west of Weardale. Lead mining on the Rotherhope Fell mine (also known as Rodderup Fell) and related veins dates to the late eighteenth century, and Fairbairn (1993) listed a continuous succession of leaseholders and operators through the nineteenth century. In 1900 the property was acquired by the Vieille Montagne Lead and Zinc Company, which operated the mine until 1947, when it was sold and dismantled. Reprocessing of old dump material for fluorspar continued into the 1970s. The most recent workings were accessed by an incline known as the Blackburn level. From this level a number of drifts and underground shafts worked the vein at levels from the Five Yard Limestone down to the Whin Sill. Extensive flats were encountered in the Tynebottom Limestone. Fluorite, galena, and calcite were the most common minerals found, along with lesser amounts of other sulfides.