Invitation for Canadian Visitor Visa by zaf14281


More Info
(on White University Letterhead)



for Visit to UCSC

Dear (Name):

The enclosed letter of invitation is for you to submit to the U.S. consulate for a visa then to present to the U.S immigration
inspector at the port of entry when you come to visit. The appropriate visa is B-1/B-2 and the appropriate status upon entry to
the U.S. is B-1 (Visitor for Business).* Please note that it is your responsibility to make sure that you are assigned a visa and
nonimmigrant status upon entry to the U.S. which will allow you to receive reimbursement for your travel expenses or

The U.S. consulate will enter the visa in your passport, usually noted as “B-1/B-2.” This visa indicates that you will be
allowed to apply for either B-1 or B-2 status at the port of entry. The appropriate status for your visit is B-1 (visitor for

The Form I-94 in your passport will indicate the status you hold in the U.S. This form will be given to you to fill out on the
airplane (small white card). At the port of entry to the U.S. you must present your passport, the I-94 and the enclosed
invitation letter to request B-1 (visitor for business) status. You must speak up in the inspection area and ask for B-1 status
(visitor for business) and check to be sure that the inspector has marked B-1 on your I-94 before you leave the inspection
area. You should not leave the inspection area until you are satisfied that the inspector has written B-1 on your I-94.

The B-1 notation on your I-94 will allow you to receive reimbursement or honorarium within certain limitations:

         For honorarium, your academic activity at UCSC must not exceed nine days in duration and you must not have
          received honoraria from more than five educational institutions in the previous six-month period. It will be
          necessary for you to present either a U.S. social security number (SSN), or an individual taxpayer identification
          (ITIN). If you do not currently have one of these identification numbers, you may apply for an ITIN by completing a
          W-7 form and submitting it to the IRS. See IRS website at

         Travel reimbursements do not require a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number.

Please see (name of UCSC contact) when you reach UCSC so that your passport identity pages and both sides of your I-94
may be copied for verification of status. By following the above guidelines carefully, you will help to minimize problems
with your visitor status and your stay in the U.S.

(UCSC contact, dept. chair, etc.)

*Canadian citizens are visa-exempt so do not need to apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate, but we recommend that Canadians
present passport and enclosed letter to the U.S. immigration inspector to obtain B-1 status noted on form I-94.

B-1 cover letter to visitor 11-04

To top