Tower Cottage The Edgcumbe
This cottage Arms
used to have an There must always
Italian - style bell have been an inn
tower and was Cottages on of sorts near the
Tower House built in the later 19th the Quay ferry. In the 18th
century. The cottages century increasing
along the numbers of
Cremyll and Mount waterfront are genteel visitors
Edgcumbe House mostly 18th were coming to
The quays are built of
were hit by German century in Mount Edgcumbe
local limestone and date
bombs in April 1941. origin and are Park. There were
from c.1837 when James
Two ferry-men who built of local militia soldiers stationed in the Rame
Rendel, the engineer,
were standing near red sandstone, Peninsula. Business could be brisk. The inn
renewed them for the The Earls Waiting Room
the Cremyll ferry slate stone and limestone. was modernised in 1762.
Earl of Mount Edgcumbe Bomb Damage to The castle-like waiting room on the ferry
shelter were killed. Some were built as
at a cost of £277. They the Tower
The present inn, the Edgcumbe Arms, was quay was built about 1850. It was probably
Tower Cottage and lodging houses for ferry
need constant repair as burnt to a shell in the winter of 1995 and designed by the architect George
nearby buildings were wrecked. men and as boat houses.
winter storms wash away the fill behind has been rebuilt. Wightwick who was modernising Mount
Mount Edgcumbe House was gutted.
the sea walls. Edgcumbe house at this time.The 16th
century granite window and door frames
Quarry and Boat Yard were re-used from the main house.
Now run by Mashfords,
there has been a boat ‘Time and Tide Tarry for None’
building and repair yard The extension to the waiting room is
here since 1774. The N
of artificial stone built c.1952. In its
Mashfords Yard Yard sits in an 18th wall is a fine Art Nouveau style clock
century limestone quarry originally called dated 1885. This has a flowery frame
Franks’ Quarry. In the 1850’s extensive with the motto ‘Dost
quarrying took place to provide building Thou Love Life Then
stone for the quays that are still in place; Do Not Squander Time’
the limestone waste was used to raise the
level of the quay surfaces. The Ticket Office with
the iron turnstile is an
early 20th century
building. Another iron turnstile used to stand at
The Obelisk the north end of the quay to control visitors
This was landing from the beach at low tide.
several The Horse Boat Winch
obelisks built This 19th century cast
as navigation iron winch was used to
marks pull the horse boats up
around the beach. From the 18th
Plymouth Sound in the century they must have had ramps at
18th century. There the stern to allow easier loading of
were three on coaches and carts. Animals were taken
Plymouth Hoe. across on the Cremyll Ferries from at
Another stood in least 1501 until the late1930’s.
Mount Edgcumbe Park
and was replaced by
the Folly c.1745. The RSPCA
Cremyll obelisk has panel at
been reduced in ferry
height, probably during
World War II.
Toll House “Be Merciful to Thy Beast”
The Toll House
The fountain was
about 1783 built in 1909. It is
St Julian’s Well The Chapel and The Modern inscribed ‘Erected
For centuries drovers School House where riders, Village to fulfil a wish of
moved cattle and sheep The Chapel was carts, carriages and drovers paid Tucked behind the Caroline
long distances on foot. built in 1867 as a tolls for the up-keep of the road. quay and Countess of
Drinking troughs were chapel of ease Roads and tracks were very underneath the Mount Edgcumbe
placed at roadsides. A because Maker rough in this hilly area before the old quarry face is 1909’. There is a
granite trough can be Church was too far away from Cremyll. It Liskeard to Cremyll Turnpike Act a small community of 20th century big horse trough,
found near the medieval was also a school-room for the children of of 1760. After this time road bungalows. Other buildings around the a small trough ‘For the Doggies’
St Julian’s well on the Mount Edgcumbe estate workers and surfaces and drains were car park, uphill from the Toll Cottage, are and a basin for people.
road near Maker Church. local villagers. gradually improved. Edgcumbe estate houses.
Animal cruelty was commonplace.
In medieval times the From the 1720s Formal
village on the shore at Gardens began to be
Cremyll was called West laid out near the water
Stonehouse. It was in in Mount Edgcumbe
the County of Devon Park. The Cremyll Ferry
until 1844. buildings and the village
were outside the Park
1790. Cremyll. The Inn and cottages are on the left.
Mount Edgcumbe House stands above the quarry in the
centre. Boat building can be seen in the quarry. The
navigation obelisk is to the right.
W Tomkins. Plymouth Library Services
1850. Soldiers embarking from Cremyll beach with
Drakes Island in the distance.
William Collingwood Smith. Western Morning News
1905. HMS Impregnable training ship offshore and
apprentices maintaining a naval cutter on the beach.
Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery