F-1 Visa- Studying in the United States by hkksew3563rd



Every year thousands of students enter the U.S. to further their education at an
American high school, college or university.

To enter the U.S. as a full-time student you need a student visa. An F1 student visa is
for those full-time students who wish to attend an accredited college or university,
seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, language training
program, or other academic institution.

To obtain an F-1 student visa you must:

" Be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program,
or a vocational program;
" Attend a school that has been approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
Services (USCIS);
" Be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution;
" Be enrolled in a program or course of study leading to a degree, diploma or
" Be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency;
" Have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay as a full-time student;
" Maintain a residence outside of the U.S. which you have no intention of giving

You are entitled to work on-campus part-time during your studies. You are not
permitted to work off-campus without permission from USCIS. Your spouse and
dependent child(ren) (under 21 years of age and unmarried) can apply for an F-2 visa
to accompany you to the United States. They are not, however, permitted to work on
an F-2 visa.

You will be required to leave the country when your course of study is complete. If
you wish to stay longer you will either have to renew your visa or apply for a change
of status. You may, for example, apply for a B-2 tourist visa if you wish to see more of
the U.S. before you leave. You may also apply for an H-1B work visa if you are
offered a job after the completion of your education.
If you wish to enter the U.S. as a full-time student in a vocational or other
nonacademic program, you will need to apply for an M-1 vocational student visa.

United States Immigration Support has produced a comprehensive guide entitled "F-1
Student Visa Application and Information Kit". The guide contains free visa
application forms as well as other important information about the student visas and
studying in the U.S. To order the guide or to discuss your situation with a qualified
immigration lawyer, contact United States Immigration Support website at

Keywords: B-2 visitor visa; F1 visa; F-1 student visa; "F-1 Student Visa Application
and Information Kit"; F-2 visa; H-1B work visa; immigration lawyer; M-1 vocational
student visa.

Roman Cervantes is a student at New York University focusing on law. He hopes to
be a sucessful lawyer someday. In his spare time, he writes articles and papers for
various firms.

To top