TITLE: SIGNING AUTHORITY
The Board of Governors of Red Deer College delegates its signing authority to the President of
the College and authorizes the President to further delegate her/his signing authority to
designated officers for the purpose of the ordinary course of business of the College.
This Policy is designed to outline the responsibilities for those individuals who have signing
authority and to outline the conditions under which signing authority may be delegated.
Signing authority levels are established with specific financial limits (see Appendix A) for
signing invoices, requisitions, transfers, non-personnel contracts and agreements and other
financial disbursements to ensure that RDC funds are dispersed in a manner reflecting sound
This Policy and the procedures associated with it apply to the Board of Governors, the
President and all employees and officers of Red Deer College.
Red Deer College is committed to protecting legal and financial interests and reputation of the
All transactions authorized on behalf of the Board will be in accordance with the College’s
policies and in adherence with Laws of Canada and the Province of Alberta and all legislative
Contract: Any arrangement, written or verbal, that creates a legally binding commitment for the
College; can include, but is not limited to any written document resulting from this agreement.
Signing authority: Legal power delegated by the Board of Governors of Red Deer College
through the President of Red Deer College to organizational positions appointing them as
agents of the College to perform transactions and execute contracts.
Signing Officer: Officer or representative vested with the powers to commit Red Deer College
to a binding agreement.
Total value: Value of a contract or agreement over its term and any extensions thereof.
Signing Authority Page 1 of 8
1. Only designated college positions and the Chair of the Board of Governors may be
authorized a signing officer.
2. Signing authority is delegated to positions, not individual persons.
3. On an annual basis, all individuals in positions with signing authority are required to sign
the “Signing Authority Compliance Form” (Appendix B) indicating that they have
reviewed the indicated policy documents, that they understand those policies, and that
they agree to comply with those policies. They must also provide a sample signature to
4. The Board and the President shall retain the residual power to contract on behalf of
RDC in relation to any and all Agreements of whatever nature, notwithstanding the
delegation of authority conferred upon the signing officers.
5. No person may sign any document that creates an obligation or undertaking on behalf
of the College, unless:
a. That contract has been reviewed and approved in accordance with the Contracts
Policy (under development), and
b. That individual has signing authority at the level appropriate to the total value of
the transaction and/or contract type (see Appendix A)
c. The individual authorizing a transaction has authority on the budget and/or
College area affected by that transaction
6. The President, Executive Vice President Academic, Vice President College Services
and Chief Financial Officer are authorized to execute any college transactions when the
designated signing officer is not available to sign or when the total value of the
transaction exceeds any other signing authority.
7. Transactions with unspecified monetary value that create a commitment on behalf of the
College for a period greater than three years are approved by the respective Leadership
8. Final approval for partnership agreements resides with the Executive Vice President
Academic, Vice President College Services or the President. Ongoing accountability for
the management of the partnering relation is the responsibility of the respective
Leadership Team member.
9. Lease and rental agreements that persist for a period greater than 1 month are
reviewed and approved / signed by the Chief Financial Officer and/or the VP College
10. The following are authorized to affix the RDC Corporate Seal to Agreements binding the
• Chair of the Board of Governors
• Executive Vice President Academic
• Vice President College Services
• Chief Financial Officer
Signing Authority Page 2 of 8
11. Chief Financial Officer is the only officer with the authority to open bank account(s) in
the name of Red Deer College.
12. Chief Research Officer is the only officer authorized to approve research contracts.
13. An individual’s supervisor with signing authority must approve any expense including but
not limited to:
• Purchasing card transactions
• Travel and expense claims
• Payment requests that provide any kind of personal benefit to that individual
(e.g. memberships, subscriptions, course/conference registrations)
• Any transaction that might involve or appear to involve a conflict of interest
related to personal benefit of an individual.
14. Allocation of a purchasing card to an individual does not grant signing authority to that
individual or position.
15. Where this Policy conflicts with another RDC Policy currently in force, this Policy
1. The respective Leadership Team member must approve requests for additions and/or
changes for signing authority and forward to the Chief Financial Officer.
2. Financial Services maintains a list of authorized positions and incumbents.
3. Specimen signature sheets are used to identify the incumbent of a position to whom
signing authority has been delegated.
4. Officials who have signing authority may assign this responsibility to another individual
in an acting role during periods of absence from the College.
• This assignment must be to a position with signing authority.
• Chief Financial Officer must be advised in writing prior to the assignment.
• The designee will have the same signing limits as the designating official.
• Final responsibility for expenditures authorized during this acting period will rest
with the designating official.
RESPONSIBILITY: Chief Financial Officer
CONSULTATION FOR REVIEW: Leadership Team
POLICY REVIEW DATE: January, 2015
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 1, 2004
REVISED DATE: June 1, 2006
September 1, 2006
July 1, 2009
Signing Authority Page 3 of 8
• EL-B1 General Executive Constraint
• EL-C2 Financial Condition
• EL-C3 Asset Protection
• BC-1 Delegation to the President
• BC-2 President Job Description
• Conflicts of Interest and Mandatory Disclosure
• Related Parties
• Travel & Related Expenses
• Partnering Relations with Other Organizations
• Contracts for Research
Signing Authority Page 4 of 8
Signing Authority Page 5 of 8
Delegation of Financial Signing Authority Charts
Unlimited Unlimited $250,000 $50,000 $25,000 $5,000 NO VALUE
for payroll Term > 3
Chair of Board of Governors
VP College Services
AVP Human Resources
Chief Financial Officer
Leadership Team Members
Bookstore Manager ∗
Chair of Learning Resources ∗
All other signing authority
Table 1. Signing Authority by Financial Limit
Banking Investments Leases Partnership
(requires any two (requires one (requires one Agreements
authorized authorized authorized
signatures) signature) signature)
Table 2. Signing Authority by Contract Type
For inventory holdings only
Signing Authority Page 6 of 8
Signing Authority Page 7 of 8
Signing Authority Compliance
I hereby declare that I have read, understood and agree to abide by the
following Policies of Red Deer College:
Conflicts of Interest and Mandatory Disclosure
Travel & Related Expenses
I understand that failure to comply with these Policies may result in loss of
signing authority and purchasing privileges and may result in disciplinary
actions up to and including dismissal.
Signed this day of , 20 .
(Employee Name) (Signature)
I have met and discussed these Policies, expectations and consequences with
the above individual.
(LT Member) (Signature)
Signing Authority Page 8 of 8