Car accidents and compensation claims

Document Sample
Car accidents and compensation claims Powered By Docstoc
					If you are involved in a car accident, it can be a traumatic experience, however minor
or severe your injuries may be. The paperwork, time spent on the phone to your
insurance company and general hassle of arranging to get your vehicle fixed, plus hire
a car in the meantime is stressful.
  If you sustain injuries in an accident, you could be faced with bills you had not
budgeted for, including some medical expenses, car hire, physiotherapy, time off work
etc., and if the accident was caused by someone else, you should contact a personal
injury solicitor who can help you claim the compensation you deserve.
  Consider the following 5 questions and answers if you have suffered a car accident
which was not your fault, and one which has left you with injuries:
  1.How do I know if I can make a claim?
  There are many different injuries which can be sustained in a car accident, but the
most common injury is whiplash. This is usually caused by a sudden impact, and can
result in ongoing pain in the neck, lower back, shoulders and arms. You may also
experience some dizziness and loss of feeling in the shoulders. Injury to the lower
limbs and ankles are also common after a car collision, when a crash causes
movement to the pedals used by the driver. To make a claim, you or your solicitor,
must be able to prove that the other driver was at fault.
  2.Who should I contact to make a personal injury claim?
  Contact a regulated personal injury solicitor who works on a no win, no fee basis,
and one who will pay you 100% of the compensation. The advantage of using a
personal injury solicitor instead of a claims management company is that your claim
will be dealt with directly, instead of passing it on to a third party, and solicitors are
regulated, which means they have to adhere to a certain code of conduct.
  3.Can I claim for a holiday car accident abroad?
  If the accident took place within Europe, you can claim compensation from the
driver′s insurance company, with the help of a UK personal injury claims solicitor.
The Fourth European Union Motor Insurance Directive of 2003 has made it much
easier for someone involved in a road accident in Europe to claim compensation back
in the UK, by requiring the insurance party of the third party to nominate a
representative in the injured party′s country to handle the claim. If the accident
occurs outside Europe, you may still be able to make a claim with the help of a UK
  4.What information do I need to claim car accident compensation?
  The more information you gather the better, as this will prove vital when claiming
compensation. Take names and contact details of any witnesses to the accident, and
any other drivers or passengers who may have been involved. Also take the
registration number of all vehicles involved and take photographic evidence where
possible. Retain copies of all correspondence to insurance companies, and receipts of
any medical expenses.
  5.How long do I have to claim for a car accident?
  Legally, you have three years in which to make a claim for car accident injury
compensation, but the sooner you contact a personal injury solicitor the better. Soon
after the accident, details will be much clearer to the witnesses and to the parties
 Accidents on Britain′s roads cause thousands of injuries each year, and if you have
suffered because of another person′s negligence, you should claim the compensation
you deserve.

 Adrian vultur writes for holiday illness compensation claims