Docstoc
EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR DOCSTOC USERS
Try the all-new QuickBooks Online for FREE.  No credit card required.

DIRECTORIES - KELLY'S DIRECTORY Researched by Joan Bower Edited by

Document Sample
DIRECTORIES - KELLY'S DIRECTORY Researched by Joan Bower Edited by Powered By Docstoc
					                                        KELLY’S DIRECTORY

Researched by Joan Bower                                Edited by Dorothy Bates

WOODFORD is a township and small village, and was formed into a parish Jan 17th 1873, from the parish
of Prestbury; it is 1 ½ miles south from Bramhall station on the Macclesfield and Stockport section of the
London and North Western railway, and 5 south-by-west from Stockport, and is in the Knutsford division
of the county, Macclesfield hundred, union and county court district, Prestbury petty sessional division,
rural deanery of Stockport, archdeaconry of Macclesfield and diocese of Chester. Christ church, erected in
1841, is a plain edifice of brick, in the Late Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, north porch and an
embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a chiming clock and 6 bells: the stained east window
was erected by Mrs. Esther Carr, as a memorial to her son, William Roylance, d.11 May, 1861, and there
are several others: the church was thoroughly restored in 1871 and in 1891 was renovated at the expense of
the parishioners and friends: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1842. The living is a
vicarage, gross yearly value £136, net £120 with residence, in the gift of William Bromley-Davenport esq.
M.P. and held since 1887 by the Rev. James Griffiths. William Bromley. Davenport esq. M.P. of
Capesthorne, is the chief landowner. The area is 1,443 acres of land and 16 of water; rateable value, £2,883;
the population in 1891 was 332
Parish Clerk, Mark Bailey.
Letters through Stockport. The nearest money order office is at Bramhall & telegraph office at Handforth
Wall Letter Box cleared at 5.40 p.m. week days only
National School (mixed), erected in 1847, for 120 children; average attendance, 46; William Geo. Goulden,
master

Edmondson Charles Irving, Deanswater
Rev. James Griffiths Vicarage
                                            COMMERCIAL.

Bailey John, blacksmith
Booth Rupert, shopkeeper
Downs John, farmer, Hawthorn farm
Earlam John (exors. of), farmer
Earlam Joseph, farmer
Gibson William, farmer
Hallworth Anthony, farmer
Holland Geo. farmer, Yew Tree farm
Holland Joseph, farmer, Hill Top farm
Holland William, farmer
Hooley Thomas Cooper, Davenport Arms P.H. & farmer
Jackson Joseph, farmer
Jepson Charles, farmer
Neild Robert, farmer
Rose William, market gardener
Shelmerdine WiIliam, farmer
Swindells James, farmer
Walker John, farmer & farm bailiff to Thomas Hardcastle Sykes esq
Wood Isaac, farmer
Worthington Abraham, farmer
Worthington John, farmer
Worthington Saml. frmr. Newhall frm
Worthington Saml. frmr.Oldhall farm
Worthington Thomas, farmer

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:11
posted:2/17/2011
language:English
pages:1