Semaphore _ Largs Bay Heritage Connections Map

Document Sample
Semaphore _ Largs Bay Heritage Connections Map Powered By Docstoc
					     Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections
         A Podcast Tour by the Students of North Haven Schools




  Print out this guide, download the podcast to your favourite MP3
 player, and enjoy a unique walking tour of some of the highlights of
                      Semaphore and Largs Bay.

                                           Map




Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au   1
The Largs Bay Jetty
                                     We start our tour at the Largs Bay Jetty. Here
                                     are some things we would like to tell you about
                                     the history of the Largs Bay Jetty.

                                     The Largs Bay Jetty and railway cost £60,000
                                     originally to build. It started to be built on the
                                     12th of January 1882 and was opened on the
                                     23rd of December in 1882. The builders of the
                                     Largs Jetty were Baille, Davies and Wishardt. It
                                     was built by using timber.

The Largs Bay Jetty was built in competition with the Semaphore Jetty which
was important for shipping and commerce. The Semaphore Jetty became less
suitable for shipping because its construction had slowed down the tide
movement and dropped sand, making it too shallow for large ships to come in.
Then the Largs Bay Jetty was built but didn’t last for very long as a port
because the same thing happened.

                             The Honorable W. Everade opened the jetty and
                             the Honorable W. Morgan gave a speech on the
                             opening day. It was originally 640m long but got
                             damaged in 1953 by a storm. The start of the jetty
                             was 7.3m wide and the last 76m were 15m wide. It
                             needed to be wide because the trains needed to
                             get from one end to the other. In 1883 train tracks
were put on the jetty. The railway line started at the end of the jetty and went
onto Jetty Road and finished at Glanville Station. The railway part of the jetty
was one of the quickest things to be built in Largs Bay.

After the jetty was damaged by the storm it got repaired in 1956 but it was only
137m long. Boats stopped at the deeper end of the jetty to deliver mail. The
mail was put on the train and taken back to shore. A famous boat called the
HMAS Protected was the only ship in the South Australian navy. In good
weather the ship was moored to the Largs Bay Jetty but in bad weather it was
moored at the Port River. This was an old ship built in 1883.

Should the jetty be built to its normal length? Here are some things to be
considered:

Reasons for:
- Because boats can have a place to stop and passengers can eat.
- Because you could fish out in the deep with out sailing out there.
- It could be very popular and the people that saw it before the storm would and
have lovely memories.

Reasons against:
-It could cost a lot of money to build.
-It could take up more space
-There could be a storm that could hit which could be a waste of money.




Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au               2
In conclusion we think that the Largs Bay Jetty should be rebuilt to its old state
because it could be a place where many people could enjoy it and share a
connection between the past and present.

By Amber & Shaye

The Largs Pier Hotel-Motel
The Largs Pier Hotel-Motel was built in 1882 by the Largs Bay Land and
Investment Co. The Hotel was built of stone with rendered masonry. The
                          Architects were Ernest H. Bager and Latham A.
                          Whithall. The Hotel is 117 feet (36 metres) by 95
                          feet (29 metres) and has a massive staircase inside
                          the Hotel.

                               In this time it used to be a Seaside Resort for South
                               Australians and it also used to be a major mail port.
                               It was a recognisable landmark for sailors at sea.

The Hotel is now used for gambling, going out for dinner and also relaxing and
having a few drinks. Kim Dean is the present owner of the Largs Pier Hotel.
There is going to be future development to the Hotel and the Bar is currently
being renovated.

The Largs Pier Hotel is an Aussie music icon. In the 1970s and 80s famous
bands played there, like Jimmy Barnes, Bon Scott (who would later be the
singer with AC-DC) and The Angels and those are just some of them. The
Largs Pier Hotel was the starting point for some of these most famous bands.
There are going to be more bands that will play after the redevelopment is
finished.

The Largs Pier Hotel - Motel remains as stunning today as it was over a century
ago with its rising three storeys, arcaded facade and unique interior staircase.
The Largs Pier Hotel-Motel is located on the LeFevre Peninsula Esplanade off
of Military Road, Largs Bay.

Robert & Jack



The Semaphore Palais
Welcome to our report on the Semaphore Palais.
The Palais is located on the beach front at
Semaphore. The Palais is a building that was put
in Semaphore to entertain the locals in Adelaide.

On the day that the Palais was opened, two thirds
of the population in Adelaide came to watch. It has
been used for lots of different things. Some things it was used for was a tea
room, bathing house and a dance hall. In the late 1960's it was owned by the
Semaphore Surf Life saving club.

Currently at the Palais, every night of the week something different happens.
They have Karaoke, bands play and there are live parties with Dj’s. On
Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au               3
Sundays everyone can eat and dance. The function room is for Weddings and
special events. The Semaphore Palais is an icon in the Semaphore area and is
one of Adelaide's most popular venues for a host of activities.

                                  The Palais was built in 1922 by W.A.S. Dunn. The
                                  council wasn’t happy with the way the Palais was
                                  being maintained so they cancelled his lease. In
                                  1988 the Palais was signed over to the Adelaide
                                  Council. It was made of concrete and steel
                                  frames. Part of the Palais’ uniqueness is that it's
                                  the only building of its size and style on the
                                  beachfront of South Australia.

For 45 years the Palais was an icon for people in Adelaide and South Australia.
In 1994 there was a fire that destroyed the Palais. In 1996 people started to
rebuild the Palais and it took 18 months to finish.

In conclusion we believe that the Palais is important to Semaphore because it’s
a popular place for people to have a great time and meet with friends. Also, it’s
important to people who have lots of memories at the Palais. That’s why The
Palais is a heritage icon.

By Laura & Janelle



The Semaphore Foreshore: Connections Between the
Past and Present.
Semaphore didn’t used to be called Semaphore, it used to be called
Scarborough. It was a seaside resort, a port for mail and a quarantine port. A
man designed the seaside Semaphore Hotel as a spa resort in 1951. This
‘Marine Thermoporeum’ was thought to be very fancy by having hot or cold, salt
or fresh water baths.

In summer lots of people would go down to Semaphore and this is why they
built the sideshows and carousel. There used to be a wooden slide called the
Helter Skelter in the 1920s and 30s that wrapped itself around a tower. There
used to be a carnival called the Semaphore Carnival. Many South Australians
would go to it in their holidays!

The Waterslide Complex
This complex has all sorts of rides and is a lot of fun
when you are looking for something to do. It has all
sorts of rides such as the waterslide, jumping castle,
mini golf, flying bee and clowns.

This complex is found on the foreshore of Semaphore near the carousel and
beach. You can see the beach from the top of the waterslide. The water slide
measures to 13.3 metres high and 70 metres long. The jumping castle can hold
8 – 10 twelve year old kids. When you first walk into the castle above your head
is a clown.

Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au             4
The Ferris wheel was imported from the U.S.A. This Ferris wheel was used in
an Elvis Presley movie called ‘Roustabout’. In early 2004 the Ferris wheel was
updated with new carriages. Each carriage holds 3 people. From top to bottom
it measures out to be 17 metres high.

Mini golf in this complex is fun for any ages. There are 9 holes. Come along
and test your skill. It is very colourful and very enjoyable.

This complex can be used for group bookings and just a fun day out.

This complex has been around for about 30 years and it has only just been
renovated 15 years ago. The latest attraction that was brought into the park
was the flying bee.

Kayla & Brooke


The Carousel
The Carousel, on the Semaphore Foreshore, was built in 1928 by Len Northey
who also owned it. There was an earlier carousel and it was brought from the
United States by Mr. Jimmy Barr who was an Adelaide Carnival operator. This
carousel was steam driven and it was sold in 1933 and replaced by the current
Merry-Go-Round.

                                         The current carousel is the oldest in
                                         Australia and was moved from Henley
                                         Beach to Semaphore by Mr. Len Northey.
                                         The carousel was very popular and
                                         important to Semaphore especially when
                                         there were beach carnivals and in the
                                         summer months.

It was designed and built for a German showman named Weniger by engineer
Herbert Thompson of Armadale, designer of Australia’s first successful motor
car.

The horses were carved by Melbourne craftsmen with simple decoration.
Whereas the old Merry-Go-Round was driven by steam, the current carousel is
electrically powered.
The two carousels have given pleasure to generations of people in Semaphore
for nearly 100 years, connecting us with the past in a fun way.

Hannah & Mel




Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au            5
The Semaphore Tourist Train
                         The tourist train in Semaphore is a great two kilometre
                         ride along the coastline from Semaphore Jetty to Fort
                         Glanville and return. The train is run by the National
                         Railway Museum.

                      The train operates on School Holidays, weekends and
public holidays. The train departs between 12pm noon and 4pm at various
times depending on demand.

History of Rail in Semaphore
A railway line was first made from the city of Adelaide to Port Adelaide in 1856.
Port Adelaide was the heart of the state because imports came through there
and goods were also exported. The original Adelade line ran to the Port Dock
Station which is now the National Railway Museum. In 1878 the railway lines
were extended to Semaphore which had become an important port for ships.
The iron Jervois Bridge that swung open so ships could pass through was
constructed at this time to increase rail traffic to Semaphore. The bridge also
had a water pipe that supplied Semaphore but when it was open the water was
shut off. A water tower was built in Semaphore as a mini reservoir for when the
bridge was open.

The last train went down Semaphore Road in 1978 and
the last tram was in 1935.

Even though we don’t have steam trains in Semaphore
any more, people can ride the tourist train as a reminder
of the old steam trains and a connection to our past.

Patrick and Louie

The Semaphore Jetty
                                 The Council first started building The Semaphore
                                 Jetty in 1859 and it was completed in1860. It was
                                 a very popular spot for young people. In 1873 the
                                 original jetty was extended to a length of 2138 feet
                                 long which passed the blue line (the blue line is
                                 where the water changes colour and gets deeper.
                                 Small craft launched from bigger ships moored at
                                 the anchorage could dock at the jetty.

A kiosk at the end of the jetty was a two storey building. The main floor was a
restaurant divided in two sections.One side for males and the other side for
females. The upper floor of the Kiosk was a splendid dance hall where many
couples would mingle. The Kiosk was built in 1814. It was burned down on the
10th of April 1947, What was left of it was demolished in 1948.

At the end of the Jetty was a tide gauge which when the tide rose the gauge
would rise and when the tide lowered the gauge would lower. There was a


Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au              6
signal station where a signal man would watch the gauge through a telescope
and change his signals accordingly.

The Jetty was built with many large wooden planks. The wood is different to
other jetties because it lasts a lot longer than many other jetties. Over the years
many violent storms have caused damage to the jetty. The length of the Jetty
today is currently 1918 feet.

Functions that that are now held at the jetty are on Australia Day and on New
Years Eve there are fireworks. Families gather and have dinner on the beach
and celebrate a new year, and in the morning of the new year there are all
games for the kids.

We think the council should extend the jetty and build some small kiosks at the
end of the jetty because it would be a great attraction and lots of people from all
around would come and visit Semaphore. Of course it would cost a lot to build.

Tim & Chris



War Memorial Clock
The War Memorial clock is located in the centre of the Semaphore Foreshore.
The War Memorial is made of granite and is topped by a marble angel. The
angel is known as the ‘Semaphore Angel’. The clock was first unveiled in 1925
                         and it was built between 1923 -1925. It is to
                         remember all those who fell in the Great War between
                         1914 -1919. It is also in memory for all those who
                         served all over the world which include Borneo, Korea
                         and Malaysia, Vietnam, South East Asia and the
                         United Nations Operations.

The Memorial has always been a memorial and it was built for that purpose.
The memorial was first owned by the South Australian Council and is currently
maintained by the Port Adelaide Enfield Council. At the moment the memorial
has no heritage listings.

Just after the First World War the Carnival
Committee decided they wanted to put a memorial
at Semaphore to honour those who fought in the
war. They decided it would take some time to
raise money to build a proper memorial so they
put up a temporary arch at the Semaphore Jetty.
The memorial arch was made out of wood and iron. The memorial arch read
“For King & Empire”. All the local soldiers’ names were put on the arch as a roll
of honour. It had two soldiers at either ends of the memorial and the soldiers
had guns. There was also the Australian Flag and a boat on top.

Seven years later they put up the memorial clock which they had raised money
to build. The memorial stands as a focal point for Anzac Day commemorations
and is a reminder of our connections with the brave men and women who
fought for our country.

Sarah and Mahala
Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au            7
Time Ball Tower
The Time Ball Tower is a heritage building. It is a building that was used to help
sailors navigate their ships. The Time Ball Tower in Semaphore has been out of
service since 1932 and was replaced by radio technology. Since then, time ball
towers were not used as much and slowly went out of service.

It was thanks to Mr. Henry Burge that the Time
Ball Tower in Semaphore was constructed. The
Time Ball Tower would set its time according to
the telegraphic transmissions they would receive
from the Observatory in Adelaide.

In each time ball tower around the world there
were several men, known as “Timeball Keepers”
usually living on the third floor.

The ball on the Time Ball Tower would rise at 12:57pm and a large, black ball
was lifted up the Time Ball Tower’s mast and was dropped at 1:00pm. It would
rise to help sailors and fishermen set their chronometers which is a measuring
device used to help them navigate. The Time Ball Tower was restored later by
the South Australian Harbours Board. It was built between 1874 and 1875.

Here is a more detailed sequence used by the “Timeball Keeper”:

12.55pm: The ball would rise to a halfway position warning the sailors to get
ready.
12.57pm: The keeper in the tower would rise the ball to its highest point locking
it in place.
1.00pm: The keeper would get a transmission saying it was exactly 1.00pm
in which dropping the ball would warn sailors to set their chronometers to
1.00pm.

The Time Ball Tower located in Semaphore is still standing as a reminder of the
past and our changing technology.

By Brandon & Eddie


Semaphore Hotels
The Semaphore Hotel

The owner of the original Semaphore Hotel, which was
built as a spa resort, created a signal station which
would tell ships when it was high tide so they could
come in. His signal station was called a ‘semaphore’
and this is why the town is named Semaphore.

The Semaphore Hotel was the first hotel in Semaphore before two other hotels moved
in - The Exeter and The Federal.

The original Semaphore Hotel was built with rendered masonry and The Semaphore
Hotel was first opened in 1867 and was located on the Esplanade.

Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au           8
The current The Semaphore Hotel has 25 rooms. It was 2 storeys and then a third
story was added to the hotel in 1920 to the rear.

The first owner of the Semaphore Hotel was a person named M. Manson.

The Semaphore Hotel has always been a hotel and hopefully will stay as a hotel
forever.

The Federal Hotel

                             The Federal Hotel was first owned by a man named C.
                             Johnson.
                             It was built using blue stone at the rear section part of the
                             building and rendered masonry in the front part of the
                             building.

                          The hotel has 25 rooms for guests and was built in a time
                          when Semaphore was a thriving area and a major port of
Adelaide. This landmark should be preserved for all generations and around
Semaphore.

The Federal Hotel is located on the blocks of 25 to 27 Semaphore Road.

The Federal Hotel was once known as the Jetty Hotel which was before the name was
changed in 1901 to the Federal Hotel because of Federation. The Federal hotel was
first built in 1866.

In 1920’s the Federal Hotel had a new frontage constructed with tiles columns and led
light glass and verandas.

The connection it makes for me and my family is enjoying a counter meal and going for
a walk down Semaphore Road.

The Exeter Hotel

The Exeter Hotel has been a hotel all the time. The
first owner and licensee was J. Griffith.It was
known as the Le Fevre Hotel from 1854 until 1879
when it became the Exeter Hotel again. The
present owner of this hotel is Gulf Trading. It is built
by stone with rendered masonry trim, timber and
cast iron verandah.

It is at 152 Semaphore Road. This hotel is a heritage icon and not to be replaced.

Jerico and Thomas




Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au                       9
The Semaphore Library / Institute

                          The Semaphore Library is a beautifully restored building
                         that plays an important role in our community. It has had
                         a varied history, starting life in 1883 as the Mechanic
                         Institute. Later it became the Semaphore Town Hall and
                         in 1929 was extensively reconstructed to become a
                         cinema.

The Semaphore Ozone ‘Wondergraph’ cinema cost 9,000 pounds to renovate,
it could seat 1100 people. In 1952 the cinema was refurbished but was closed
in 1960. Later it was converted into a library. The latest restoration in 1993,
including the magnificent art decorative features, has allowed a piece of
Semaphore history to be put to a new use, which everyone can enjoy.

Simone


Churches in Semaphore
The Uniting Church

                       The Uniting Church is one of five churches on Semaphore.
                       Two are no longer Churches – the Baptist Church is a
                       second hand clothing store and the Congregational Church
                       is a B & B.

                     The Uniting Church was built on 1867 and was first called
the Wesleyan Methodist Church. It was built in response to the growing
popularity of the hotels in Semaphore. It has had additions built onto it like a
school house.

It is a place for praying for all religions and it has a school room at the back for
Sunday school and has a famous organ that was installed in 1903.

It is a big building made of Melbourne bluestone which was sent on a wheat
ship and was the first church on the Le Fevre Peninsula.
It is in Semaphore and is on the corner of Young Street and is just down the
road from all the other churches that are on Military Road.

The organ inside was donated by Mr Arthur Fisher, is
still in use and is played every Sunday. Although it is
perhaps not as popular as it once was, many families
still go to this church making connections between
generations of Semaphore citizens.

Matt




Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au             10
Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart

                     Better known as the ‘Catholic Church’, it is one of the
                     newest churches in Semaphore. It was built in 1914 and
                     has been called the ‘Catholic Church’ since it was built.

                       It was made of lovely fine Bluestone and has amazing
                       leadlight windows. It holds about 600 people and is very
beautiful. It’s very large and spacious, and its furniture is spiritual and
harmonious.

The church was most popular in about 1920 when it was always full. Now days
there are about 150-200 people that still attend the church.

The hours of service in summer are 8.00 and 11.00,
winter 7.00 and 10.00. Both are am times.

It is situated on Military Road which is perpendicular to
Semaphore Road.
The Catholic Church is a truly great family orientated
church that has an excellent family atmosphere.

Tyler


St Bede’s Anglican Church

                         The St Bede’s Anglican Church was opened in 1879
                         but was called St Andrew’s. It was renamed in 1881.
                         The church is used for weddings, funerals and it is for
                         different religions.

                           It is made of stones, large bricks and took 50 years to
                           complete because they just added on more extensions
to one building. Built in the shape of a cross, it can hold 600 people.

You can find the St Bede’s Anglican Church on Military Road, Semaphore.
There are other churches around at Semaphore because every church is made
for a different religion. The church is opened from 9:00 am – 5pm every day
except for Christmas Day.

St Bede’s Anglican Church can hold many people although like many churches,
it was more popular in the past.

The Church Of Christ

                          The Church Of Christ was built in 1912 by members
                          of the Queenstown Church of Christ. Its members met
                          before a chapel was even built, using the Town Hall
                          as a base. 10 people gathered at their first service in
                          1910.

                              Later they added more rooms onto the back of the
                              church like a kindergarten, hall, and adjacent manse.
It is made of many stones and even had stone plaques. It is a cream colour.
Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au            11
The Church Of Christ is found in Semaphore on 242 Military Road near the
Dominican School.

In it’s ‘hey day’ a lot of people went there and it was usually full, but today fewer
churchgoers attend. The church had a membership of 140 people and the
school had 110 people.

Kate


Semaphore Odeon Star Cinema
Cinemas were very popular before television was introduced.
When television was introduced in 1959 and early 1960’s many people stopped
going to the movies. People stayed at home watching television and many
theatres shut down.

                                 The Odeon Star was opened in 1920 as the
                                 Wondergraph Picture Palace. The Odeon was one
                                 of the last to close down. It then became a second
                                 hand furniture shop in 1976, owned by a man
                                 named Mr Hoffs.

                                 He bought the Odeon Theatre for 27,000 pounds,
                                 which equals about $67,000

In the 1980’s, a man named Bob Wilson moved up to Semaphore from the City
and he found it ridiculous that the closest theatre was Glenelg.

He went to see Mr Hoffs asking if he could rent the top part of the shop to build
a theatre to serve the Semaphore community. The reply was ‘yes’. So it was
turned into a community theatre.

The cinema reopened on the 24th December 1991. People like the Mayor and
anyone who was important at the time was there. The movie played was
Dancing with Wolves and that showed for 3 weeks and was a big box office
smash.

The Semaphore Odeon Star Cinema has survived many social and physical
changes where other cinemas have not.

The Semaphore Odeon Star keeps connections alive for moviegoers from past,
present and future generations.

Thomas




Semaphore & Largs Bay Heritage Connections 2006 www.nhavenr7.sa.edu.au            12

				
DOCUMENT INFO