June - JANUARY PROGRAM by dfsdf224s



                                           READ THIS!!!

Our June meeting is in the form of a giant BarBQ to be held:
   T On Wednesday, June 27th
   T At Wenneker Woodworks – 9000 County Road 93
   T From 5:00 p.m.
   T Your membership covers TWO people for this event. Extra guests are welcome at $20 each.
   T Cash Bar – steak and chicken – salads, etc.
   T 50/50 draw – door prizes – FUN
   T Cutlery provided courtesy of Rob and Kim Marchand
We circulated a sign up sheet at our May dinner meeting with the following results:

         NAME              #     DOOR PRIZE               NAME              #      DOOR PRIZE
Aubé                       2           X          Bryant                    2            X
Giffin                     2                      Plaxton                   2
Marchand                   2           X          Matthews                  2            X
Bondar                     2                      Wenneker                  2
Forward                    2                      Secord                    2
Templeton                  4           X          Oja                       2
Sant                       2                      Dunlop                    2
Calow                      2           X          Delbrocco                 2            X
Karagiannis                2                      Dupuis                    2            X
Rogers                     2                      Taylor                    1
Stotesbury                 2                      Rumble                    2            X
Vallee                     8           X          Vanderkooy                4
Moreau                     1                      Chandler                  2
Home Building Centre       4           X          Huronia Steel Sales       8

If there is a change in your numbers or if your name is not on this list and you can attend,
PLEASE call me at 526-6907 by June 22nd. Thanks – Austin.

Many have indicated – yes they will bring a door prize. Thank you! More are welcome – please

                               YOU CAN’T FIX WHAT YOU WILL
                                    NOT ACKNOWLEDGE
                          WASN’T THAT A HOOT!?!? (MAY MEETING)

“Projecting your image” was a great success judging from the many positive responses that we’ve
       “I got to connect names to faces”
       “A great opportunity to promote my business and philosophy”
       “Let’s do it again next year!”
       “Great to learn what other members offer”

Our thanks to President Yvette Aubé for so very capably introducing this topic and special
acknowledgement and much appreciation to Dave Templeton who presented a seamless projection
of each speaker as they were offered the microphone. GREAT JOB!!!!

                                       CONTACT UPDATE

Please note the following updated contact information for Blair Stotesbury, Certified General
Accountant. Blair operates two related businesses:

Blair Stotesbury, CGA – 527-8744
A full range accounting practice
“When You Need More Than Just Numbers”


W. Parker Bookkeeping Services Limited - 528-0864
Providing bookkeeping and related services
“Helping Clients Achieve, Helping Business Succeed”

He also offers members a 25% discount on all bookkeeping services.

                                     PRESIDENTS AWARD

This is the last call for your nomination for our 2007 Presidents Award. This significant
recognition is presented to one of our MPDBA members who makes excellent contributions within
our association but more particularly to the community at large.      Your nomination can be
submitted by completing this form and faxing to Yvette at 527-1973 or Austin at 526-7443.

                                   PRESIDENTS AWARD 2007

My nomination is:

Community Involvement:

Submitted by:


Dear Sir or Madam:

Through a mutual agreement, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board of Ontario (WSIB) and the
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) have started to share information to enable both organizations to track
the registration status and accounts of employers.

When employers are registered with both organizations, our programs can be administered
consistently and fairly to everyone. It also means that Ontario workplace employees are eligible for
all the benefits and services to which they are entitled.

Based on the registration information you gave the Canada Revenue Agency, it appears that you are
not registered with the WSIB. Employers could be registered under different names at both
agencies, if this is the case with your firm, please call to ensure your records are correct.

The WSIB and the CRA are now contacting employers who appear to be registered with only one
organization. To register your company and/or have your questions answered please contact the
WSIB’s Registration Centre, toll free at 1-866-REG-WSIB (1-866-734-9742) between 8:30 am and
4:30 pm EST Monday – Friday.

Most businesses in Ontario that employ workers (including family members and sub-contractors) must
register with the WSIB within 10 days of hiring their first full, part-time or casual worker. It’s the
law. Registering with the WSIB provides workplace insurance coverage for all of your employees, and
gives you access to expert advice on workplace health and safety for your business sector.

If you register, you will not face any penalties, however, you will still be responsible for premiums for
the year 2005 to date plus interest. If you do not contact the WSIB, a WSIB representative will
follow up with you and register you at that time. Once registered, you will normally be assessed for
premiums from 2005 to date plus interest. We look forward to hearing from you…..

                                                   ON RAINY NIGHTS DOES
                                                   THE SANDMAN SEND
                                                   THE MUDMAN?

                                 We have partnered with the Senior Curlers at Penetang Curling
                                 Rink to make this essential, life saving equipment available.
    This defibrillator and
    training were donated        Be proud! Take a bow! MPDBA members – Your support of our
    in part by the MPD           various draws, sponsorships, raffles, auctions and other
    Builders Association         fundraisers makes this, and other “Community Support” activities
                                 possible. Thank you – Thank you!!!

                               2007-8 PROGRAM AND ACTIVITIES

Your Board of Directors strives to provide our membership with meaningful, informative and fun
programs, speakers and events.

We will welcome your thoughts and input on any topics, tours, and events or functions that could
be incorporated into our 2007-08 program and activities schedule.

Please contact   any of our Board members to move your considerations forward. Your Board
members are:
Yvette Aube:     526-0051         Arlene Plaxton:     526-4445      Rob Marchand:      528-0508
Jim Forward:     529-2789         David Giffin:       526-4607      Dave Templeton:    527-4012
Don Bryant:      534-7024         Chris Bondar:       528-9759      Austin Matthews(EO)526-6907

                                   FIRST AID – IT’S THE LAW

Regulation 1101 requires all employers covered by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act to
have first aid equipment, facilities and trained personnel in all workplaces. You must also provide
a first aid station containing:
    a)     a first aid box containing the items required by the above regulation; and
    b)     a notice board displaying,
                       i. The Workplace Safety & Insurance Board’s poster known as Form 82;
                      ii. The valid first aid certificates if qualification of the trained workers on
                          duty, and
                     iii. An inspection card with spaces for recording the date of the most recent
                          inspection of the first aid box and the signature of the person making
                          the inspection


Taxes are taking a bigger chunk out of the average Canadian income than
food, clothing and housing combined, a new survey suggests.

The Fraser Institute says the Canadian Consumer Tax Index is up since
1961. The average family earned $63,000 in 2006, with nearly 45 per cent
going to taxes. Just over 35 per cent went for food, clothing and housing.
In 1961, the institute says, taxes took 33.5 per cent.

Their index includes direct taxes such as income tax, sales tax, Employment
Insurance and payments to the Canada Pension Plan (which hadn’t begun in
1961) as well as hidden taxes, such as import duties.


Most Canadian businesses expect to hire more workers in the next 12 months to meet increased
demand for their products and services, according to the Bank of Canada’s spring survey.

The survey of 100 representative firms found that businesses are generally optimistic about what
the coming year will bring.

They expect to invest more on equipment and machinery, have improved sales and increase their
workforce, with inflation remaining the same. However, labour shortages may not meet increased
demand, particularly in the red-hot Western economy.

                                   RULES FOR CLAIMING EXPENSES

Following is a summary of what expenses you can deduct against your business, excerpted from Canada
Revenue Agency’s website (cra-arc.gc.ca):

BUSINESS EXPENSES: A business expense is a cost you incur for the sole purpose of earning business
income. You must back up business expense claims with a sales invoice, and agreement of purchase and
sale, a receipt, or some other voucher that supports the expenditure. If you pay cash for any business
expenses, be sure to get receipts or other vouchers. Receipts should include the vendor’s name and the
 Remember to keep your cancelled cheques if you receive them from the bank. This is part of your proof
that the bill was paid or the asset purchased. Keep the cancelled cheques in an orderly manner so we can
easily review them.

TYPES OF OPERATING EXPENSES: In most cases you cannot deduct personal and living expenses, except
for traveling expenses you incur in the course of carrying on a business while away from home. The
general rule is that you cannot deduct outlays or expenses that aren’t related to earning business income.
The following may be considered when determining operating expenses:
         PREPAID EXPENSES: A prepaid expense is an expense you pay ahead of time. If you use the
accrual method of accounting, claim any expense you prepay in the year or years in which you receive the
related benefit.
         INTEREST AND BANK CHARGES: You can deduct the interest you incur on money you borrow to
run your business. However, there are some time limits. There is a limit on the interest you can deduct
on money you borrow to buy a passenger vehicle.
         MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR: You can deduct the cost of labour and materials for any minor
repairs or maintenance done to property you use to earn income. However, you cannot deduct the value of
your own labour. You cannot deduct costs you incur for repairs that are capital in nature. However, you
may be able to claim capital cost allowance on the repaired property.
         MEALS AND ENTERTAINMENT:              The maximum part you can claim for food, beverages and
entertainment expenses is 50 per cent of either the amount you incur or an amount that is reasonable in
the circumstances, whichever is less. The 50 per cent limit also applies to the cost of your meals when
you travel or go to a convention, conference or similar event. However, special rules can affect your claim
for meals in these cases.
         OFFICE EXPENSES: You can deduct the cost of office expenses, i.e, small items, such as pens,
pencils, paperclips, stationery and stamps. Office expenses do not include items such as calculators, filing
cabinets, chairs and desks which are capital items.
         ACCOUNTING AND LEGAL FEES: You can deduct the fees you incurred for external professional
advice or services, including consulting fees. You can deduct accounting and legal fees you incur to get
advice and help in keeping your books and records. You can also deduct fees you incur for preparing and
filing your income tax and GST/HST returns.
         ADVERTISING EXPENSES: You can deduct expenses for advertising, including ads in Canadian
newspapers and on Canadian television and radio stations. You can also include on this line any amount you
paid as a finder’s fee. Certain restrictions apply to the amount of the expense you can deduct for
advertising in a periodical.
         BUSINESS TAX, FEES, LICENCES AND DUES: You can deduct any annual licence fees and
business taxes you incur to run your business. You can also deduct annual dues or fees to keep your
membership in a trade or commercial association. You cannot deduct club memberships dues (including
initiation fees) where the main purpose of the club is to provide dining, recreational or sporting facilities
for its members.

        INSURANCE EXPENSES: You can deduct all regular commercial insurance premiums you incur on
any buildings, machinery and equipment that you use for your business.
        SALARIES, INCLUDING EMPLOYER’S CONTRIBUTIONS: You can deduct salaries you pay to
employees. You report these salaries by the end of February on a T4 or T4A slip.
        BUSINESS START UP COSTS: To be able to deduct a business expense, you had to have carried
on a business in the fiscal period in which the expense was incurred. Because of this, you have to be very
clear about the date your business started. Determining exactly what you can claim as a start-up expense
can be difficult. For more information, see tax form IT 364, Commencement of Business Operations. If
a proposed business is to be in the field of merchandising the purchase of materials for resale would
indicate that the business has started, provided that the materials were not merely samples and were
adequate in quantity to commence a marketing operation. Even prior to that, the business would be viewed
as having started if market surveys were undertaken on a reasonably extensive basis for the purpose of
establishing the most appropriate way or place to carry on business.
        MOTOR VEHICLE EXPENSES: You can deduct expenses you incur to run a motor vehicle that you
use to earn business income. However, several things can affect your deduction. The kind of vehicle you
own can affect the expenses you deduct.


Charles and Loes have listed their Co. Rd. 93 building and property for sale, but the business will carry on
with the same name in a new location. Stay tuned for more information………………..

                                                                             WORK EXPANDS TO FILL THE
                                                                            AMOUNT OF TIME AVAILABLE

To top