Docstoc

deti_departmental_board_minutes_22_june_2010

Document Sample
deti_departmental_board_minutes_22_june_2010 Powered By Docstoc
					                            DETI DEPARTMENTAL BOARD MINUTES
                                   TUESDAY 22 JUNE 2010

          Present:      David Sterling
                        Ian McMorris
                        Colin Lewis
                        Philip Angus
                        Trevor Cooper

          Apologies: David Thomson (Member) and Fiona Hepper (Invitee)

          In Attendance: Anthony Haughan (Secretariat)

          No new interests were declared by any board member.

  Agenda Item               Actions Arising from Discussion               Action Owner and
                                                                          Current Position (to
                                                                          be completed prior
                                                                          to next Board
                                                                          meeting)
DB 4/1               The Chair advised the Board of changes to the
Minutes and          Senior Management Team and congratulated
Action points from   Colin Lewis on his appointment (effective from 1
18 May 2010          July 2010)
meeting.
                     The minutes of the 18 May 2010 meeting were
                     agreed.

                     Under DB 3/1 it was noted that the discussion with
                     DEL on External Quality Assurance was ongoing.

                     Action: To consult with DEL on Terms of              Trevor Cooper
                     Reference

                     Under BD 3/ 2 it was agreed that Ian McMorris
                     should be copied into Monitoring Round papers
                     and that ad hoc meetings of the full Board would
                     be convened as necessary, based on the merits at
                     the time for doing so.

                     Action: Monitoring Round papers to be copied
                     to Ian McMorris on an ongoing basis                  Trevor Cooper

                     Under DB 3/2 it was noted that the NIAO has no
                     issues of consequence to raise with the draft
                     Resource Accounts

                     Under DB 3/10 it was noted that the new
                     delegation arrangements will be effective from 1
                     July 2010.

                     All other action points were noted as completed or
                     on target.
                        DETI DEPARTMENTAL BOARD MINUTES
                               TUESDAY 22 JUNE 2010

  Agenda Item           Actions Arising from Discussion              Action Owner and
                                                                     Current Position (to
                                                                     be completed prior
                                                                     to next Board
                                                                     meeting)
DB4/2            Trevor Cooper presented the Finance report
Finance Report   outlining:

                    the June monitoring bids, noting that the
                   Executive would be considering DFP’s
                   recommendations on 24 June;

                    the Administration budget remains very
                   constrained, but manageable at present;

                   discussions on the in-year NI Block savings
                   required and Budget 2010 process are still
                   ongoing and, at this stage, the impact on DETI
                   for reduced expenditure is not known, but could
                   be significant.

                 TheBoard agreed to convene a special meeting in
                 late July 2010 to discuss DETI’s responses to
                 DFP both in-year and for Budget 2010.

                 Action: Special Board meeting on Finance            Philip Angus/Trevor
                 (and Risk Management)– see DB 4/3) to be            Cooper
                 arranged in late July
DB4/3            The Board agreed that to progress the
Risk Register    development of the revised Corporate Risks and
Update           to consider in more detail a number of proposed
                 new Divisional risks that the matter should be
                 discussed at the special Board meeting (see DB
                 4/2 above) planned for end July. In the discussion,
                 a number of actions were noted..

                 Action: Impact and likelihood levels to be          David Sterling with
                 critically re-assessed;                             David Thomson/
                                                                     Fiona Hepper/Terry
                                                                     Coyne

                 Actions: Details of DFP’s Internal Audit work       Trevor Cooper
                       on HRConnect to be sought in order to
                       clarify the risks to DETI;

                        Corporate Risks to be fleshed out for
                        July meeting;

                        Paper on Risk Management to be
                        brought to special Board meeting at
                         DETI DEPARTMENTAL BOARD MINUTES
                                TUESDAY 22 JUNE 2010

  Agenda Item            Actions Arising from Discussion             Action Owner and
                                                                     Current Position (to
                                                                     be completed prior
                                                                     to next Board
                                                                     meeting)
                         end July; and

                         Departmental Audit Committee to be
                         provided with revised Risk Registers at
                         August meeting

                  The Board noted a verbal report from Philip
Legislation       Angus. All DETI legislation was progressing and
Update            on target.

DB4/4             The Board noted the paper and the limited extent
Absence           to which work–related stress contributed to long
Management        term sick absence within the Department.

                  Action: A paper on the key messages                Philip Angus
                  emerging from the NICS stress survey to be
                  presented at September’s Board meeting.



DB4/5             This matter was remitted to David Thomson to
Departmental      bring the Paper's recommended action point
Major Emergency   regarding future maintenance of the MERP to a
Response Plan     future Senior Management Team meeting in the
                  light of developing analysis/proposals from the
                  Organisational Review.

                  Action: SMT to consider maintenance                David Thomson
                  arrangements for the MERP


DB4/6             The board agreed to publish the gift and
Gifts and         hospitality registers with values excluded where
Hospitality       these were not known.
Registers
                  Actions: Registers for 09/10 to be published       Trevor Cooper
                  on DETI website and an update to be provided
                  to staff on proper completion of Registers
                         DETI DEPARTMENTAL BOARD MINUTES
                                TUESDAY 22 JUNE 2010

  Agenda Item            Actions Arising from Discussion            Action Owner and
                                                                    Current Position (to
                                                                    be completed prior
                                                                    to next Board
                                                                    meeting)
                  Paul Brush provided a verbal update which
Update on DETI    confirmed that progress on the Organisational
Organisational    review was proceeding as planned. He also
Review            outlined emerging issues and next steps.



DB4/7             Discussion was deferred and will be taken at
Procurement and   September’s Board meeting.
Single Tender
Action.           Action: Procurement and STA Paper to be           Colin Lewis
                  considered at next Board meeting
DB4/8             The liaison minutes for each organisation were
Minutes and Key   taken as read. The Board sought clarity on the
Issues from       matter of resources relating to the transfer of
NDPB Liaison      additional responsibilities to HSENI.
Meetings
                  Action: Resource pressures in HSENI, if any,      Colin Lewis with
                  to be clarified                                   Mike Bohill
AOB               None




         Anthony Haughan
          June 2010

				
DOCUMENT INFO