Payment of Rent

Document Sample
Payment of Rent Powered By Docstoc
					                   Payment of Rent

Terms of Payment
The rent is due and payable on the 1st of each month. Rentals for
portions of a calendar month are calculated at a daily rate of 1/30th
of the monthly rate. The UA North Rental Office handles only your
initial payment. All future payments are made to the Housing Accounts
Receivable Office.

Payment Options
Rental payments may be made online, by payroll deduction, or with
cash in person at the Housing Cashiers office.
For the security of data and in order to follow processes of the
Administrative Main Cashiers Office (AMCO), effective March 1, 2009,
the Housing Cashiers Office is no longer accepting credit/debit card
payments or personal checks in person or received through the mail. This
decision will reduce the risk associated with sensitive data and security.

You may pay on line using a credit card, debit card, or Automated
Clearing House (ACH) at by selecting
the Students/Tenants Make a Housing Payment option. ACH is a
nationwide electronic funds transfer system, which provides for the
inter-bank clearing of electronic payments. To make an ACH payment,
you use the bank routing numbers from your checking or savings

As of July 1, 2009, faculty will be able to pay monthly rent payments
through a Payroll Deduction.
•	   By	completing	a	Payroll	Deduction	Authorization	form,	a	Faculty	
     resident	authorizes	the	University	to	withhold	all	appropriate	monthly	
     rent charges from their paycheck.
•	   Faculty	must	provide	all	information	requested	on	the	Payroll	
     Deduction	Authorization	(PDA)	form.	It	is	required	that	the	Faculty	
     resident provide their employee identification number to Housing
     Services in order to process the deduction on line.
•	   To	request	to	pay	rent	through	a	Payroll	Deduction,	please	contact	
     Housing Services through Ask Housing at

Monthly rent may also be paid by person in cash at the Housing
Cashiers Office. The address for the office is:
Housing Cashiers
360 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095
For hours, please visit

Non-Payment of Housing Fees
Housing accounts with a balance after 4:00 p.m. on the 10th of every
month	are	considered	delinquent.		If	the	10th	falls	on	a	weekend	or	
holiday, the payment must be received by the previous business day.
One	or	more	of	the	following	actions	may	be	taken	on	delinquent	
•	   A	$25	late	fee	is	assessed.
•	   Service	of	a	Three-Day	Notice	to	Pay	Rent	and	Perform	Covenant	
     or Quit.

If	you	are	served	a	Three-Day	Notice,	payment	of	the	current	delinquent	
balance must be made in guaranteed funds, such as cash, cashier’s
checks, money orders, or credit/debit cards to stop further action. Also
be	aware	that,	as	stated	in	your	Rental	Agreement,	an	additional	$50	in	
liquidated	damage	charges	will	be	assessed	to	your	account.

Alternative Payment Arrangements
In	the	event	you	are	unable	to	make	the	payment	in	full	by	the	due	
date, it may be possible for you to enter into an alternative payment
arrangement (i.e., a Payment Agreement) with the Housing Accounts
Receivable Office. Payment Agreements must be completed in person
at	the	Housing	Accounts	Receivable	Office.		If	the	payment	agreement	is	
voided,	a	$25	fee	will	be	assessed	in	addition	to	all	applicable	late	fees.

Miscellaneous Charges
Charges related to your stay in University housing may also be posted
to your housing account. Miscellaneous charges may include charges
for damages, replacement costs, violation of the rules listed in this
Handbook or on the housing contract, and for additional services
rendered. Miscellaneous charges are due upon receipt and should be
paid immediately.

Charge Disputes
Questions regarding charges on your account should be directed to
the originating department. For miscellaneous charges, please contact
your	University	Apartments	Rental	Coordinator.		If	a	resolution	cannot	be	
reached with the Rental Coordinator, an appeal may be submitted to the
University Apartments Area Manager.

Please contact the Housing Accounts Receivable Office if you have
questions	regarding	your	housing	charges.

Payment Questions

Please contact Housing Services through Ask Housing at www.housing.	for	questions	or	additional	information	about	payments	or	
payment options.

Other Legal Action
As	a	resident	of	University	Apartments,	you	are	also	required	to	abide	
by the Rules and Regulations as contained in this University Apartments
Resident	Handbook.		If	you	fail	to	do	so,	the	University	may	serve	you	
with a Three-Day Notice to Perform Covenant and Pay or Quit. The
notice will give you the opportunity to either correct the applicable
violations of the contract or move out within a three-day period. The
University also reserves the right to terminate the contract without cause
by giving you 30-day advance written Termination of Tenancy notice in
the event you have lived in the premises for less than one year and 60-
day advance written Termination of Tenancy notice in the event you have
lived in the premises for one year or more.

Rental Rate Increases
Housing is an auxiliary enterprise in the UC system and therefore totally
self-supporting. Apartment rental rates are reviewed each year and rate
increases typically occur in July. Every effort is made to keep rates as
low as possible without compromising the integrity of the physical plant
and every attempt is made to support and sustain the many services
UCLA faculty, students, and student families have come to enjoy at
University Apartments.

Contact Information
Housing Services Offices (
•	Housing	Accounts	Receivable
•	Housing	Assignments
•	Housing	Cashiers
•	Community	Housing	Office	(

Questions for any of the Housing Services offices may be asked and
answered via e-mail at

All Housing Services offices are located on the 1st floor of Sproul Hall.
The address for the four offices is:
360 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles CA 90095-1383

University Apartments Rental Office:
945 Weyburn Terrace, #116
Los Angeles CA 90024
Mail Code:144907
(310) 983-1300;

University Apartments for faculty allow single faculty to share two
bedroom apartments. All roommates must be UCLA affiliated. Each
roommate is responsible to sign a separate rental agreement and submit
a deposit. University Apartments does not provide roommate locator
services. Each resident is responsible to locate his/her own roommate.
In	the	event	a	roommate	moves	out,	all	remaining	roommates	are	
responsible for the entire apartment rent, security deposit, and to assure
the apartment is ready for a new move in.

Partial Vacancies
Occasionally, roommates will leave during the school year. When this
occurs, there is a space available for another roommate. As a result,
it is necessary to inspect partially occupied units to determine that the
residents are keeping the unit up to a standard that will permit a new
move-in. Residents are informed of inspections in advance. If work
is required in the apartment and our staff needs to do it, ALL
the residents will be charged. Charges can be avoided if residents
follow a regular cleaning routine and use the cleaning guidelines
provided in this Handbook.

     Routine Maintenance Services
Routine	Maintenance	can	be	requested	by	contacting	UA	North	
Facilities Management at (310) 983-1315 during regular business
hours. There is no charge for this service unless the maintenance
required	has	occurred	as	a	result	of	negligence	on	the	part	of	the	tenant	
or his or her guest(s).

In	the	event	the	power	has	to	be	turned	off	to	complete	a	work	order,	
the resident is responsible for turning off all appliances, including but
not	limited	to	computers,	televisions,	and	stereos.		If	you	call	the	office	
for	repairs,	please	inform	others	in	your	apartment	of	your	request	so	
they know a repairman will be entering the apartment.

Once	a	tenant	requests	maintenance	services,	the	University	reserves	
the right to enter the apartment without notice to perform the work.
Facilities staff will knock loudly and announce their presence before
entering an apartment.

Online Work Order System
The	Maximo	resident	work	order	system	for	non-emergency	requests	
allows	residents	to	submit	a	maintenance	work	order	request	online	and	
receive e-mail updates regarding work order status. The website link for
Maximo is The site includes a link for
instructions on how to submit a non-emergency work order. Users
will	be	required	to	register	and	may	then	begin	to	use	the	site	to	submit	

Response Times
The following list provides the standard response times to anticipate for
various types of maintenance problems:

Priority I - Hazards to life, health, property and security.
Immediate	or	same	day	service	for	problems	such	as:	Lockout,	no	
electricity, no water/hot water, sink blockages, plugged toilet, flood-
ing, no heat, major plumbing leaks, secure broken window, emergency
lock	replacement,	elevator	not	working.		In	case	of	flooding	in	either	
the kitchen or bathroom, please remove all items from under the sinks.
Note:		If	you	smell	gas,	call	The	Gas	Company	at	(800)	427-2200	in	
addition to UA Facilities Management.

Priority II - Non-life threatening, but causing some inconvenience to
Work performed within three working days for problems such as:
Running faucets, slow drain lines, partial power failure, malfunction of
appliances or air conditioner, replace broken window glass, outside light
out, broken garage door spring.

Priority III – Causing slight inconvenience to resident.
Work performed within 21 working days for problems such as: Dripping
faucets, inoperable garbage disposal, minor stove or refrigerator mal-
functions, cabinet/drawer repair, cracked window glass, worn toilet
seat, malfunctioning dishwasher.

Priority IV - Desirable improvements for apartments and common
areas determined to be non-critical.
Work performed within 30 days for problems such as: Worn or dam-
aged	kitchen	or	bath	floor	(non-hazardous);	laundry	room	repair	(non-
hazardous);	minor	painting;	sprinkler	leaks	(shut	off	at	valve);	workable,	
but worn, sink faucets; workable, but worn, garbage disposal; work that
requires	ordering	of	a	special	part;	or	a	major	common	area	repair.

Repair Costs, Tenant Negligence
Tenants shall notify UA North Facilities Management of any damage
or need for repair of any UA North property. Tenants also agree to be
jointly responsible with other residents for the protection of UA North
property,	its	furnishings,	and	equipment.

See the “Damages and Miscellaneous Charges” section in this
Handbook for a list of estimated costs for common repairs. The cost
of repairs is high. The best way to avoid such charges is to exercise
caution and call UA North Facilities Management immediately when you
need	repairs.		Foresight	is	always	best.		If	a	window	in	the	unit	is	difficult	
to	open,	call	for	repairs	before	you	break	it.		If	a	faucet	leaks,	call	when	it	
starts to leak. Do not wait until you can no longer turn it off.

Tenants are not charged for everything that goes wrong in a unit, only
those items which fall under the heading of tenant negligence.		If	
you call the office for repairs, please let your spouse or other family
members	know	that	the	repairman	will	be	entering	the	unit.		It	is	not	
necessary for a tenant to be present for work to be done.

There may be a minimum charge	of	$20	for	any	Facilities	action	
due to tenant negligence. (See section on Damage Charges in this

The following are considered to be due to tenant neglect:
1. Jammed	Garbage	Disposals. Disposals cannot grind material
   such as bottle caps, wire ties, popped corn, coffee grounds or
   large amounts of fibrous vegetables (e.g., celery, onion skins). The
   garbage disposals cannot be used for the disposal of any type of
   rice and pasta, either cooked or uncooked.
     There is a reset button on the motor that should be reset after a jam
     has been cleared. Always use lots of cold water when running the
     disposal. Do not put any drain opener chemicals into any drain.
     These chemicals are dangerous to persons working on the lines and
     will	ruin	garbage	disposals	and	drain-opening	equipment.
2. Damaged Finish on Stoves, Refrigerators, Dishwashers. These
   appliances should be cleaned with the proper materials. Steel wool
   and scrapers will damage the finish.
3. Clogged Dishwashers. Rinse dishes with plain water before placing
   in the dishwasher. Dishwashers cannot handle food particles that
   will not dissolve in hot water. The drain will clog and the unit could
   overflow. Designated dishwasher soap is recommended. Other
   soaps or detergents will fill the dishwasher with suds and cause an
4. Overflowing Toilets. Costs for unclogging toilets that overflow due
   to improper materials being flushed into the lines will be charged
   to the tenant. This includes any type of feminine sanitary product,
   toys, utensils, disposable diapers, etc.
5. Unreasonable Wear and Use. Any physical damage that is not
   caused by normal use.
6. Damaged Furniture. Damaged furniture that is owned by the
   University will be repaired or replaced at the option of Management.
7. Torn	or	Damaged	Screens	or	Blinds. Torn or damaged window
   screens or blinds will be replaced at the tenant’s expense.
8. Damaged Window or Light Covering.		Broken	windows	or	light	
   coverings are the financial responsibility of the tenant.
9. Water Damage. Water damage caused by a tenant’s failure
   to properly use the facilities or to notify the office of needed
   maintenance for the shower, sink, or bathtub will be charged to
10. Fire Sprinkler Heads. Water damage caused by activation of
    sprinkler system due to tampering (e.g., do not hang items from

11. Smoke Detectors. Damage due to tampering with or removing the
    smoke detector.

Power Outages
Electrical outages of long duration can sometimes occur in the
Westwood area. We suggest that each tenant be prepared by:
1. Having a flashlight available in the apartment and automobile, and
   checking them on a regular basis to make sure they work.
2. Having a few extra blankets available. Thermostats are electric, so
   the heaters will not function during a power outage.

Elevator Breakdown - Dial (310) 983-1315
If	you	notice	that	one	of	the	elevators	is	out	of	order,	please	report	it	
immediately. You should be aware of the easiest entrances into the
building in the event one of the elevators is out of order. Please note the
information below.

Faculty Gayley

1.	 If	the	lower	elevator	is	out	of	order	and	you	are	trying	to	get	to	the	
    first floor, use the exterior stairs on either side of the building and
    enter on either side at the first floor level.
2.	 If	you	are	trying	to	get	to	Floors	2	-	5,	use	the	exterior	stairs	on	
    either side and enter through any door at the rear of the building.

Faculty Levering

1.	 If	the	lower	elevator	is	out	of	order	and	you	live	on	Floors	1	-	4,	enter	
    the building through the main doors and use the stairs at the south
    end of the hall.
2.	 If	you	live	on	Floors	5	-	8,	use	the	exterior	stairs	to	go	to	level	4/P2	
    or the 5th floor, west alley courtyard entrance.
3.	 If	the	upper	elevator	is	out	of	order	and	you	are	trying	to	get	to	
    Floors 5 - 8, take the lower elevator to the 4th floor. Proceed to the
    garage exit and take the exterior stairs to the fifth floor. Apartment
    #504 will be on your left, turn right and take stairwell at the end of
    the hallway (past the elevators).

           After-Hours Maintenance
                        (310) 983-1315

UA	North	provides	24-hour	residential	emergency	service.		If	you	require	
immediate assistance for a lock out, a noise complaint, or a maintenance
problem in your apartment 4:30 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. or on the weekend, call
for after-hours service. Every night, including weekends and holidays,
there is an Apartment Coordinator designated to respond to your calls.
After-hours service is for emergency calls only.

After-hours emergencies are identified as follows:
•	   Any	situation	that	immediately	endangers	health	or	property.
•	   Overflowing	toilet,	no	lights,	no	heat,	no	hot	water,	garage	door	
     broken (if your car is inside and you are unable to open door).
•	   Reset	of	a	circuit	breaker	or	other	electrical	emergencies.
•	   Lockouts:	Each	apartment	is	furnished	with	one	mailbox	key,	one	
     door key, and one gate access card per adult resident. Keys must
     not be duplicated.

             For All Other Emergencies Dial 911

Handling Lock-Outs
If	you	are	locked	out	during	regular	business	hours	(Monday-Friday,	
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) excluding holidays, please come to the
University Apartments Rental Office at 945 Weyburn Terrace, #116.
For all after-hours lockouts, you must call (310) 983-1315 to reach
the Apartment Coordinator on duty.

Keys	may	be	borrowed	by	the	following	persons	upon	showing	photo	I.D.:
•	   The	Tenant	of	Record	and/or	spouse	listed	on	the	Rental	Agreement
•	   A	child	13	and	older	if	his/her	name	is	on	the	Rental	Agreement.

Children 13 and older not on the Rental Agreement and children under
13	that	are	on	the	Rental	Agreement	will	require	written	permission	from	
the Tenant of Record for entry to the apartment.

It	is	imperative	that	you	inform	the	Rental	Office	in	writing	if	you	have	a	
guest in your apartment so that he/she may be given access in the event
of a lockout. Please be advised that in order to maintain the safety and

security of our buildings, we are not able to grant any person access
to a unit unless that person has been officially registered, either as a
resident or a visitor, with the University Apartments North Rental Office.

For your protection, a maximum of four keys may be issued at any given

If	you	lose	your	keys	or	key	card,	there	will	be	an	automatic	lock	
change	charge	of	up	to	$120	or	vendor	cost	for	apartment	entry	
metal	keys.	If	you	lose	your	keycard,	you	will	be	charged	$35	for	a	
lock change.

                Care and Cleaning of
                  Your Apartment
You are expected to maintain the unit in a clean and sanitary condition
at all times. When you (or one of your roommates) move out, the unit
will be inspected and any charges for damages or excessive dirt will be
assessed	to	you	(and	your	roommates	equally).		The	following	cleaning	
hints will help you maintain the unit appropriately and avoid these
charges when you move out.

The Kitchen
Every kitchen at University Apartments is painted with a water-based
semi-gloss latex paint. The walls can be easily cleaned with any non-
abrasive	cleanser	such	as	“Soft	Scrub”,	any	liquid	soap,	or	even	detergent.	       	
Abrasive cleansers have a tendency to remove the paint from the wall as
well	as	clean	it.		If	you	cook	a	lot	of	fried	foods	(including	stir-fry),	this	is	
especially important and can save you renovation costs upon moving out
as well as prevent pests and rodents from breeding in the apartment.

All of the appliances in the unit (stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and
microwave) have finishes that can be easily scratched. Do not use
scouring	or	Brillo-type	pads.	A	regular	sponge	is	good	for	cleaning	all	
of the appliances. The stove can be cleaned with one of the various
types of oven cleaners that are available at most markets. Do not
line your stove top with aluminum foil. When cleaning the refrigerator
or	dishwasher	use	a	liquid,	non-abrasive	cleanser	such	as	“409,”	
“Fantastik,”	or	“Simple	Green.”	Pay	special	attention	to	care	of	the	
•	   Dishwasher
     Use only designated dishwasher soap in the dishwasher. Food
     particles need to be rinsed off prior to loading the dishwasher.
     Rinse	with	water	only.	Do	not	use	liquid	dish	soap	or	detergent.	
     Clogged dishwasher drains are generally considered to be tenant
     negligence and charges may be assessed.

•	   Garbage	Disposal
	    Each	apartment	is	equipped	with	a	garbage	disposal.		Do	not	put	
     grease or fibrous vegetables, such as celery or artichokes, in the
     disposal. Also, do not put rice or pasta in the garbage disposal as
     the starch builds up in the drains and clogs them. Please use lots of
     cold water when running the garbage disposal. Do not use “Drano”
     or other such products in the garbage disposal or sink.

While	Formica	counters	are	easily	cleaned	with	any	type	of	liquid	soap,	
cleaning a tile counter can be a little more difficult. When cleaning a tile
counter you will need a stiff scrub brush and any type of non-abrasive
cleanser such as “Comet” or “Ajax.” Although the finish on ceramic tiles
is baked on, intense scrubbing with a harsh cleanser will dull the finish.

Most	of	the	kitchen	units	are	equipped	with	linoleum	or	vinyl	flooring.		
A mild detergent or one-step wash and wax product will maintain the
finish on the floor without damaging it. The newer vinyl floors are the
no-wax type, but the older floors have to be waxed regularly in order to
maintain	the	shine.		Any	liquid	wax	that	is	specifically	for	vinyl	floors	is	
acceptable. Hardwood floors should only be dry mopped. No water or
solvent of any kind is to be used.

The Bathroom
Same as the Kitchen walls, see previous page.

Maintaining	the	shower	tiling	in	the	unit	is	not	difficult.		Because	of	
the amount of moisture that is present in the air in a shower, mold and
mildew are the major problems. Cleaning on a regular basis is the only
way to control mold and mildew. A simple solution of bleach and water
will control mold and mildew while a mild non-abrasive cleanser (e.g.,
Soft Scrub) will maintain the cleanliness of the tile and the tub.

All bathing and washing must be done inside the bathtub. Excessive
water on the bathroom floor will result in severe damage to the tiles and
sub-floor. You will be charged for this type of damage. Contact UA
Facilities Management if you have problems with rust stains.

A toilet bowl brush and cleaner such as “Vanish,” if used sparingly, will
keep	the	toilet	clean.		Products	such	as	“Ty-D-Bowl”	may	also	help.		Put	
a cup of white vinegar in the bowl and let stand overnight to remove
calcium deposits. Always use commercial products according to the
label instructions. Do not put any drain opener chemicals into any drain.

Living Room, Bedroom, and Dining Room
The walls in some buildings are painted with a semi-gloss latex paint
that can be treated the same as the kitchen walls. Those units that are
painted with a flat latex paint cannot be cleaned as easily. Surfaces
covered with flat paint can be cleaned but, vigorous scrubbing will
remove the paint as well as the stain. When cleaning flat-paint walls
use	nothing	more	abrasive	than	a	rag	or	a	sponge	and	a	mild	liquid	
detergent. Some stains or marks, such as those caused by a chair
rubbing against the wall, will not come off, and it is usually best to leave
them alone.

Carpeting in individual apartments is the responsibility of the tenant
and it should be vacuumed and shampooed regularly. Charges are
assessed for carpeting that is heavily soiled or badly stained. A stiff
brush and a small amount of diluted carpet cleaner will remove most
stains. Do not use bleach or any product that contains bleach.

If	the	carpet	in	the	unit	is	permanently	stained	during	your	tenancy,	
a charge will be assessed which will be applied to the eventual
replacement of the carpet. Such repairs or replacement will not
necessarily	be	made	immediately.		If	the	carpet	is	stained,	you	may	
contact	UA	North	Facilities	Management	and	request	help	in	removing	
the stain. However, there will be a charge. We recommend you vacuum
your carpet regularly and have a complimentary cleaning through UA
Facilities Management once a year to maintain it properly.

Most	of	the	apartments	at	University	Apartments	North	come	equipped	
with	vertical	blinds.		Blinds	may	be	cleaned	with	a	soft	cloth	using	mild	
soap and water. Drapes or curtains of any kind are not permitted in
the apartments. Please contact UA Facilities Management if you have
questions,	any	difficulty	operating	the	blinds	or	insufficient	coverage.	

       Your Role in the Community

The UCLA University Apartments North community, like most
communities,	requires	a	high	degree	of	cooperation,	respect,	concern	and	
orderliness among residents. Certain regulations and policies have been
developed to preserve and protect the rights of the community group
without unduly compromising the rights of individual members. These are
detailed in the University Apartments Rules and Regulations section of
this	Handbook.		It	becomes	your	responsibility	to	maintain,	uphold,	and	
abide by these regulations.

While in the apartments or in surrounding property (e.g., grounds,
recreation facilities, and parking area) you are subject to regulations
of the University, the Rules and Regulations of University Apartments,
and	the	laws	of	the	larger	community.		These	regulations	apply	equally	
to all residents, non-residents, and staff. The following regulations are
representative responses to common community concerns.

Eligibility Verification
Eligibility verification is conducted during the Fall, Winter, and Spring
Quarters	at	all	locations.		In	order	to	reside	in	University	Apartments	
North, you must be either a UCLA Faculty member or Visiting Scholar.
A letter will be sent to the resident if eligibility cannot be established.
This	letter	requests	verification	of	the	resident’s	UCLA	status	within	a	
specific time frame. Please refer to the Rules & Regulations section of
this Handbook for a detailed list of the eligibility criteria.

If	at	any	point	during	your	stay	at	University	Apartments	North	you	
receive an eligibility letter, please respond promptly to avoid possible
termination	of	the	Rental	Agreement.		It	is	your	responsibility	to	keep	the	
Rental Office informed of any changes in your status and/or respond to
any	request	regarding	proof	of	status.

Fireplace Logs
Please	do	not	place	any	logs	or	paper	in	the	fireplace.		It	is	gas-
operated and the smoke or fumes from any foreign objects will fill the
apartment	and	cause	a	fire	hazard.

Residents may have guests as long as they respect the rights of
others. For a guest to stay more than seven (7) days in a given month,
permission must be obtained from Management. Anything beyond
seven days constitutes more permanent living and is not allowed;
therefore	any	more	than	seven	days	requires	management	approval.	
Please be sure to note the length of your guest’s stay in the written
notification submitted to the Rental Office. You are responsible for your
guest’s compliance with all University rules and regulations.

Laundry Services
Each UA North complex provides laundry rooms for the use of tenants.
Please	do	your	share	to	keep	these	areas	clean	and	debris	free.		It	is	
your responsibility to remove your clothes from the machines promptly.
Laundry room hours are 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. daily.

The University contracts with a private firm (currently Web Service
Company)	for	the	maintenance	of	washers	and	dryers.		In	the	event	of	
equipment	failure,	residents	should	call	Web	Service	Company	at	(310)	

You will be asked to provide the following information:
1.	 The	Web	machine	number	located	on	the	silver	WEB	identification	
    plate mounted to the front panel of the washer and the dryer.
2. The building address. For University Village, the address will be
   located on the front door and inside the laundry room.

Web needs both the building address and the Web machine number in
order to locate the exact laundry room and machine that is in need of

During the hours of 6:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., the “800” number connects
you	directly	to	Web	Service	Company.		If	you	call	the	“800”	number	
between the hours of 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 a.m., you will be connected with
an answering service that records all Web’s after-hours service calls.
Since these night-shift operators are not at Web’s office, they do not
have computers to display details about the laundry rooms or machines.
They rely entirely on the information you provide to them over the phone.
In	order	to	pass	the	information	on	to	Web	the	next	morning,	they	need	
exactly the same information for the same reasons.

Dryer Instructions

For best results, use the following steps:
1. Clean the lint screen. Just inside the door at the bottom of the dryer
    opening,	you	will	find	a	lint	screen.		It	draws	in	and	traps	lint	from	
    the clothes as they dry. The lint screen is removable and should
    be	cleaned	after	each	load.		If	it	remains	full,	the	machine	will	take	
    much longer to finish drying the clothes and may involve paying for
    additional time. Simply pull up on the screen to remove it. Then
    sweep your fingers across the lint to lift it off the screen. Once it is
    lint-free, slide the screen back into the dryer. For maximum drying
    efficiency, it is important to always check, clean and replace the lint
    screen before starting a new load.
2.	 When	loading	the	dryer,	remember	that	one	washer	load	equals	one	
    dryer load.
3. Place clothes loosely so they can tumble freely. Overloading the
    dryer will prevent clothes from drying completely.
4. Once loaded, insert the appropriate coins and press the desired fabric
    setting. The dryer will automatically start its drying cycle. Every time
    you open the dryer during its drying cycle, the dryer will stop. To
    restart the dryer, close the door and press the fabric setting again.
To avoid wrinkling, remove delicate and permanent press articles
promptly. Never dry articles containing plastic, rubber or flammable
fumes. Never allow children to operate or play in, with, or around the
equipment	or	the	laundry	room.

Top Load Washer Instructions

Your Maytag top load washer has operating instructions listed on the
“under-side” of the lid.
1. Add detergent.
2. Load clothes to the top row of tub holes.
3.	 Close	the	lid.		It	is	very	important	that	you	close	the	lid	because	the	
    machine will not operate if the lid is left open.
4.	 Insert	the	appropriate	coins	and	select	the	setting.

Front Load Washer Instructions

1. Load clothes.
2. Close the door securely.
3. Add detergent to the dispenser compartment located on top of the
4.	 Insert	the	appropriate	coins	(or	if	card	operated,	insert	card	into	the	
    card reader. Leave card in reader until instructed to remove.)

5. The machine will automatically start once you select the desired
    fabric setting button. NOTE: The door will lock one (1) minute after
    pressing the fabric-setting button, and will remain locked until the
    cycle is finished.
6.	 Add	liquid	bleach	and	fabric	softener	when	prompted	by	display.		
    Times vary according to the cycle selected. You will be prompted
    to	add	liquid	bleach	when	approximately	31	-	27	minutes	are	left	on	
    the display. Fabric softener can be added when approximately 13
    minutes remain on the display.

For top loads and front loads, all settings include a cold water rinse.
However, the setting you choose determines the water temperature of
the	wash	cycle.		If	you	choose	the	WHITES	setting,	the	wash	water	will	
be	hot.		For	COLORS,	PERMANENT	PRESS	and	DELICATES,	the	wash	
water	is	warm.		Finally,	choosing	BRIGHT	COLORS	and	WOOLENS	
provides a cold water wash.

Do not unplug or stop the washer in mid-cycle. This may cause damage
to the machine or laundry room floor. Never reach into the washer
until the tub has stopped spinning. Never wash articles containing
flammable fumes. Finally, never allow children to operate or to play in,
with or around the washer or dryer.
If	the	washers	or	dryers	damage	your	clothes,	immediately	report	the	
loss to Web Service.

Pest Control
University Apartments supports and adheres to an environmentally safe
pest	control	program.		In	order	for	our	pest	control	program	to	work	
effectively, it is essential for all residents to do their part. One unclean
apartment can nurture an infestation that affects an entire building.
Tenants	are	required	to	maintain	all	units	in	a	manner	that	promotes	
health and safety for all residents.

Residents	are	required	to	report	pest	control	problems	immediately,	
especially	cockroach	infestations.	If	you	want	the	apartment	to	be	treat-
ed, you must go in person to the Rental Office to fill out an order form
and liability waiver. You must make sure to take the necessary steps
specified on the pest control form in preparation for treatment prior to
the date of service.

The University also maintains a subterranean termite control program
that	may	require	your	participation.		University	Apartments	reserves	the	
right to make pest control inspections at any time. All residents must

cooperate	if	a	building-wide	fumigation	is	required.		For	more	informa-
tion, please contact the local Rental Office.

The	Tenant	may	not	bring	pests	into	the	unit,	knowingly	or	not.	In	the	
event pests are introduced to the unit by the Tenant and are deemed by
the	University	a	hazard	to	health	conditions	in	and	safety	of	surrounding	
units, Tenant will be liable financially for eradication measures, including,
but not limited to, pest control and furniture and/or carpet replacement.

The University reserves the right to terminate this Rental Agreement upon
service of a Three-day (3-day) Notice to Quit to address any infestation
issues.	In	the	event	the	University	serves	such	a	Three-day	Notice,	the	
University is not liable for identifying, obtaining, or paying for alternate
housing; rather, the foregoing is the Tenant’s responsibility and liability.

Pets are not permitted in University Apartments visiting or otherwise,
except for Park Wilshire residents who must abide by the homeowners
CC&Rs. Dogs and cats are expressly prohibited. Exception is made
for	authorized	service/assisting	animals	for	the	tenant	of	record	only.	
For the purpose of this policy, the term “service animal” refers to “ser-
vice animals” and “assisting animals” (which include “emotional support
animals”) as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Fair
Housing Act respectively.

Service animals must offer relief for, or alleviate the effects of, a docu-
mented disability that the resident cannot provide for him/herself. All
animals must be approved by the Disabled Student Housing Appeals
Board	(DSHAB)	prior	to	move	in.

Procedure for Requesting an Exception to Resident Pet Policy for a
Service or Companion Animal

•	   Four	weeks	prior	to	the	date	the	service	animal	is	expected	to	be	
     in	residence,	a	request	for	an	Exception	to	the	Pet	Policy	(Request)	
     must be submitted to the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD),
     405 Hilgard Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90095-1426, with a
     copy to the appropriate University Apartments Rental Office.
•	   OSD	will	make	a	thoughtful,	well-informed	decision	about	approv-
     ing an exception to the Pet Policy and directly inform the applicant
     and University Apartments of the decision to make the exception.
•	   The	animal	may	not	be	in	residence	unless	or	until	the	Request	is	
•	   Approval	for	one	pet/animal	is	not	transferable	to	a	replacement	
Recreation Room
The faculty facility at 827 Levering Avenue has a recreation room that is
available	for	use	by	Faculty	Levering	tenants.		It	is	an	excellent	place	to	
hold a family gathering or a birthday celebration. To reserve the room,
please call the Faculty Rental Coordinator at (310) 983-1300. Keys must
be checked out from the UAN Rental Office and returned the next day.
Reservations are subject to availability.

The University has purchased an entertainment center with a large screen
television for your use in this room. We hope that this purchase will add
enjoyment and relaxation to your leisure hours. Please ensure that the
furnishings	and	equipment	in	the	recreation	room	are	properly	cared	for.

The University Apartments co-mingled recycling program permits you
to recycle many of the items you use in your home. Recycling bins can
be found at all UA complexes next to the trash room with the exception
of University Village. At UV, large containers can be found next to
the Sawtelle and Sepulveda trash compactors. Please drop off your
recyclables in one of our available containers.
•	   Examples	of	recyclable	materials	include:		aluminum	foil	and	cans,	
     cardboard, cereal boxes (without lining), drink boxes, juice cartons,
     junk mail, laundry boxes, newspapers, plastic bottles, and phone
•	   Materials	that	are	not recyclable include: waxed and carbon paper,
     food	and	liquid	waste,	and	bathroom	and	kitchen	waste.		If	any	
     of these materials are found in the recycling containers, the entire
     contents are contaminated and will be disposed of as refuse.

Please do not remove anything from the recycling containers. Removing
recycled materials from a designated recycling container is a serious
health and safety concern and is a violation of the Rules and Regulations.

Resident Phone Line Repair Policy
The University is responsible to provide one working telephone phone
jack for each apartment. When a resident reports problems with their
telephone service, Rental Coordinator or Facilities Staff shall initiate
a work order for a facilities staff member to investigate the problem,
determine	a	remedy,	and	facilitate	the	subsequent	repair.	The	work	shall	
be	prioritized	accordingly.	For	example,	if	there	is	no	dial	tone,	the	work	
shall	be	a	Priority	1.	If	there	is	a	dial	tone,	but	resident	is	experiencing	
static or other type of interference, the work order will be a Priority 2.

When/if it is determined that the defect is beyond the phone
demarcation, Facilities Staff needs to notify the resident to contact their
service provider to facilitate the repair. The facilities staff will make a
note on the work order indicating they instructed resident to contact the
utility when it was determined that the problem is with the utility.

If	the	problem	originates	within	UA	property	(within	unit),	the	facilities	
staff	will	initiate	the	repair	accordingly.	If	facilities	staff	is	unable	to	
correct the problem, they shall immediately report the problem to a
supervisor. The supervisor will make arrangements for a University
Contractor to correct the problem. Facilities will notify the resident to
schedule any repairs.

Faculty Levering residents may call (310) 206-5000 for assistance. All
other residents may call (310) 983-1315.

Sanctions and Warnings
The Rules and Regulations for University Apartments provide for the
assessment of sanctions for violations of the Rules and Regulations.

Smoke-Free Environment
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified environmental
tobaccos smoke as a carcinogen in January, 1993, and the Surgeon
General	has	determined	that	tobacco	smoking	is	the	leading	preventable	
cause of illness and premature death in the United States.

State	law	went	into	effect	on	January	1,	1994,	requiring	that	state	
buildings and state vehicles provide and maintain a smoke-free
environment.		In	September	2003,	legislation	signed	by	the	Governor	
modified	and	added	to	the	Government	Code	as	of	January	1,	2004,	
extending	the	no-smoking	zone	to	twenty-five	(25)	feet	away	from	main	
entrances and exits and operable windows of public buildings. The
scope of the law includes the University of California and therefore, the
UCLA smoke-free environment policy has been amended accordingly.

The University Apartments Smoke-Free Environment encompasses
the UCLA policy in addition to incorporating the policies of the student
government, University Apartments South Residents Association

Smoking in one apartment can affect residents of other apartments.
To	minimize	this	effect,	we	recommend	using	a	smokeless	ashtray	
which draws in smoke; one can be purchased locally through any
large chain store.
Smoking is not permitted in the following areas:
1. University-owned, occupied, or leased buildings, except private
   residential space. Private residential space means a private living
   area, but it does not include common areas such as lobbies,
   courtyards, lounges, waiting areas, elevators, stairwells, restrooms
   or balconies that are a structural part of a complex or building.
2. Within twenty-five (25) feet of a main exit or entrance or operable
   window of a University-owned, occupied, or leased building.
3. University vehicles, including buses, automobiles, shuttles, trucks,
   electric carts, and vans.
4. Parking structures, lot or garage areas at University Apartments.
5. Any outdoor area of University Apartments.
6. Hilgard Houses, including private residential space. Hilgard is a
   designated non-smoking building.

Smoking is permitted in the following areas:
1. Outdoors, but not within twenty-five (25) feet of main exits or
   entrances or operable windows of buildings, or where otherwise
   prohibited	by	authorized	signage.
2. Private residential space.
3. Outdoor eating areas, unless designated as no smoking.

Cigarettes are only to be extinguished in ashtrays designated for
that purpose. Cigarettes are not to be extinguished on walls, floors,
balconies, common areas, playgrounds, parking areas, or any other
public or private space within University Apartments.

No	solicitors	are	allowed	on	University	property.		Tenants	are	requested	
to notify the UC Police Department at (310) 825-1491 and the local
Rental Office when solicitors knock.

Storage Areas
The complex at 827 Levering Avenue has storage lockers located in
the garage area. These bins are assigned. Please check with your
Rental Coordinator to see if space is available or to add your name
to a waiting list. You are responsible for purchasing a padlock. The
University assumes no responsibility for items stored in these lockers.

The bins are not designed to store heavy objects and can hold a
maximum	of	50	pounds.		If	you	store	too	many	boxes	in	the	bins	causing	
the bin to break, you may be responsible for damages to any vehicles
below the storage bin. Please make sure that you do not overload your
storage	facility.		At	this	time	there	is	no	storage	in	the	Gayley	complex.		
The caged area in the garage has been designated for bicycles.

Unauthorized	subletting	of	the	rental	unit	or	parking	space	is	not	
permitted under any circumstances. Termination of the housing Rental
Agreement may be pursued if this rule is violated. There will be no
subletting while the faculty resident continues to reside in the unit.

Only	Faculty	Gayley	and	Faculty	Levering	residents	may	sublet	their	
apartments provided the subletting is to persons who are eligible for
University Apartments occupancy; the University has given prior, written
approval for the sublet; and the tenant and subtenant enter into a Consent
to Sublease. Subletting is not permitted under any other circumstances
and	only	as	specified.	Faculty	Gayley	and	Faculty	Levering	residents	
considering subletting are strongly urged to collect a security deposit as
well as the entire rental amount for the sublease period.

University	Apartments	will	permit	subleasing	for	Faculty	Gayley	and	
Faculty Levering residents (Tenant) only when the following provisions
are met:
1. Tenant must have written approval from University Apartments to
    sublease his/her unit.
 2. Tenant will remain liable for obligations under his/her rental
    agreement, including payment of monthly rent and miscellaneous
    charges/damages to unit.
3. Financial arrangement for the sublease will be between the Tenant and
    the Sublessee. University Apartments assumes no responsibility for
    any disputes that arise between Tenant and Sublessee regarding rental
    payment or any other issue or obligation related to the sublease.
 4. The sublease period will count towards maximum term of housing
    allowance of the tenant of record.

Further the Tenant must enter into a Consent to Sublease with the
University and the Subtenant. The Consent to Sublease contains the
following provisions:
1. A copy of the Rental Agreement shall be attached to said Consent
   to Sublease, and shall be incorporated therein as if set out in full.
2. The Subtenant shall perform and be bound by all provisions of the
   Rental Agreement between Tenant and the University.
3. Tenant remains obligated to pay rent and shall make all payments to
   the University.

4. Said Consent to Sublease is subject to termination at any time on
   30 days’ written notice from any of the parties to the other.
5. Any waiver or modification of the conditions of said Consent to
   Sublease shall be in writing.

Transfer Requests
Transfers may be approved for one or more of the following reasons:
•	   Increase	in	family	size
•	   Health	reasons	(requires	doctor’s	note).
Requests	for	exceptions	must	be	made	in	writing	and	approved	by	
Management. A resident must reside in a University Apartment for six
months	before	a	transfer	request	will	be	granted.		A	transfer	from	one	
apartment to another is treated as a move-out and a move-in; therefore,
any damages upon move-out will be assessed to the resident at the
time of transfer.

The primary purpose for UCLA Faculty Housing is to respond to the
short-term housing needs of the Academic Senate (particularly new
appointees). University Apartments reserves the right to close the
transfer waiting list at any time due to the high demands for faculty
housing from incoming faculty members.

Trash Disposal and Trash Chutes
At	Faculty	Gayley,	Faculty	Levering,	Village	Terrace	and	Park	Wilshire,	
there are trash chutes for resident use. Trash bins are located in the
garages. There is also a dumpster in the garage for bigger items.

It	is	the	responsibility	of	the	tenant	to	dispose	of	all	apartment	trash	by	
putting it in the appropriate receptacles. Tenants must tie and secure
plastic or paper bags prior to disposing in the trash chutes to eliminate
the odor and attraction to insects. Trash is regularly collected at all
facilities. Any trash left in hallways or common areas present a health
hazard	to	the	community	and	the	offending	party	will	be	charged	a	fine.	
No boxes are to be placed in the trash chutes.

                 Community Safety

In an Emergency - Dial 911
In	the	event	of	an	emergency	requiring	police (LAPD), medical
assistance, or Fire Department response, dial 911.

911 should only be used in an emergency situation. For regular police
business or non-life threatening situations that occur on-campus or
within University property, contact the UCPD at (310) 825-1491.

Fire Safety
Smoke detectors, fire alarms, and fire extinguishers are provided
throughout each of the University Apartments complexes. Help ensure
this	equipment	is	kept	in	proper	working	order	by	reporting	any	damage	
or	other	problems	concerning	fire	equipment	to	UA	North	Facilities	
Management at (310) 983-1315 or your Apartment Coordinator. Do not
attempt	to	repair	any	safety	equipment	yourself.

Smoke detectors and fire alarms sound an alarm only. You must alert
the Fire Department to a fire. Persons who notice a fire emergency
should activate a building alarm and then call the Fire Department
at 911 immediately. Evacuate the area and explain the nature of the
problem to the firefighters who arrive at the scene. All persons within
a complex must evacuate at the sound of an alarm.

These items are for your safety. Do not remove or interfere with them.
Tampering with a fire alarm pull station without due cause is a felony
and	violators	will	be	prosecuted.		If	the	fire	horns	or	alarms	appear	to	
be malfunctioning, please call UA North Facilities Management at (310)

In case of a fire, use stairwells only--never use elevators.
Plan your emergency escape routes in advance for use in the event of
an emergency.

Fire sprinkler heads are to be properly maintained.
Do not hang anything from the sprinkler heads as this may cause water
to flood the apartment, and you may be liable for damages. Also, do
not store any items near the sprinklers in apartments or garage areas.
They are for your safety and the resident will be responsible for any and
all	damages	to	this	equipment.

Crime Prevention and Personal Safety -
Dial (310) 825-6111
Crime prevention is everyone’s business. Although the University
assumes no liability for crimes committed in or around University
Apartments, there is a commitment to preventing crimes and promoting
the safety and security of residents.

While University Apartments benefits from UCPD patrols and our staff
continues to implement other security related processes, the fact
remains that this is not a crime-free community. Residents are strongly
encouraged to support all security related policies and procedures and
to	purchase	Renters	Insurance	for	personal	belongings	through	a	major	
insurance agency.

Personal Safety Precautions

•	   Keep	police	and	emergency	numbers	near	the	telephone.
•	   Lock	all	doors	and	windows	whenever	you	leave.		Take	the	keys	
     with you, even if you leave for only a short while.
•	   Keep	all	doors	and	windows	locked	whenever	possible.
•	   Keep	house	and	car	keys	on	separate	rings.	
•	   Do	not	lend	your	keys	to	service	people	or	anyone	you	do	not	know	
     well and trust.
•	   Do	not	attach	your	address	or	room	number	to	your	key	chain.
•	   Always	ask	visitors	for	identification	before	you	let	them	in.
•	   If	a	stranger	asks	to	use	the	telephone,	do	not	open	the	door.	
     Instead,	offer	to	call	for	emergency	assistance	for	him/her.
•	   Get	to	know	your	neighbors	so	you	can	help	each	other.
•	   Report	any	suspicious	or	unusual	activity	to	UCPD	at	(310)	825-1491.
•	   Do	not	prop	open	residence	doors.		Meet	visitors	at	the	door.
•	   Do	not	tamper	with	door	locking	mechanisms.		Never	use	tape,	
     pins, or other devices to keep the door from locking shut.
•	   Use	caution	when	leaving	notes	or	signs	on	the	door	letting	people	
     know you are out of the apartment for extended periods of time. A
     note can alert potential thieves of your absence.
•	   Do	not	allow	strangers	to	enter	the	apartment	unless	they	are	
     properly	identified.		If	a	stranger	does	enter	the	apartment,	demand	
     that	he	or	she	leave.		If	he	or	she	refuses,	create	a	commotion	and	
     leave	quickly.
•	   Don’t	leave	large	sums	of	money,	jewelry	or	valuable	items	in	the	
     apartment. Secure valuables elsewhere when on vacation.
•	   If	you	are	accosted	in	a	hallway	or	public	area	of	the	building,	and	
     feel that you are in immediate danger, dial 911 and explain the
     situation	to	the	Police.		Be	prepared	to	give	the	location	of	the	
     incident if you have left the vicinity.

•	   If	the	danger	has	passed,	call	the	UCPD	at	(310)	825-1491	and	
     explain the situation to them. Then notify the 24-Hour Service line
     at (310) 983-1315.
•	   If	necessary,	leave	spare	keys	with	a	trusted	neighbor	off-campus;
     never leave them hidden around the exterior of the apartment.
•	   Always	identify	visitors	before	letting	them	in.		Request	service	
     people to show proper credentials before you open the door.
•	   Report	to	the	police	any	unusual	or	suspicious	activity,	or	persons	
     near the apartment or around neighbors’ apartments.
•	   Make	sure	you	know	your	visitor	before	opening	the	entrance	door	
     of the apartment building.
•	   Arrange	for	service	people	to	come	when	someone	else	will	be	
•	   Avoid	isolated	areas	of	the	building	(stairways,	laundry	rooms,		
     basement, etc.) when you are alone.

Precautions When Walking Alone

•	   Avoid	dark,	vacant	or	deserted	areas.		If	you	are	followed	or	see	
     suspicious activity, move to a lighted building or area and raise a
     commotion.		DIAL	911	or	activate	a	Police	Emergency	Alarm.
•	   Avoid	walking	alone	at	night,	if	at	all	possible.		Call	the	Campus	
     Escort	Service	at	(310)	825-1493.		It’s	a	free	call	from	the	blue	boxes	
     on Campus. Have a friend escort you both ways, or wait for a
     campus van.
•	   Be	alert,	observant	and	aware	of	your	surroundings	and	of	other	
     people on the street with you.
•	   Carry	a	noise-making	device	and	have	it	ready	to	use.
•	   Be	cautious	of	jogging	alone,	day	or	night,	even	in	populated	areas	
     with street lights. Since most people will be indoors, help could be
     delayed if you get in trouble.
•	   If	you	jog	with	a	portable	radio,	cover	only	one	ear	so	you	can	hear	
     around you.
•	   Be	aware	that	hitchhiking	is	a	high-risk	activity.		Think	ahead	of	
     alternative transportation.
•	   Wear	clothes	and	shoes	that	will	allow	you	to	move	quickly.
•	   Tuck	gold	chains	and	other	jewelry	inside	your	clothing	as	these	
     items might attract a criminal’s attention.
•	   If	you	carry	a	purse,	briefcase,	or	backpack,	keep	only	a	small	
     amount	of	cash	in	it.		If	possible,	do	not	carry	a	purse.
•	   Carry	your	keys,	your	identification,	and	anything	else	of	value	on	
     your person.
•	   Keep	your	keys	in	hand	when	you	are	moving	about	at	night.
•	   Report	any	suspicious	person	or	circumstance	to	the	UCLA	Police	
     at (310) 825-1491.

Escort Service - Dial 4-WALK
You are also urged to use the Campus Security Office for personal
safety to and from the apartment to campus when you feel it is
necessary by dialing (310) 794-9255, you can get an escort to walk you
to and from class. The perimeter boundaries are:
•	   North	to	Sunset	Blvd.	
•	   East	to	Hilgard	Ave.
•	   South	to	Wilshire	Blvd.	
•	   West	to	Veteran	Ave.

Report Suspicious Activity
Call the UCPD at (310) 825-1491 and the 24-Hour Service line at
(310) 983-1315 about all suspicious activity. Some people fail to
call the Police simply because they are not aware of what seemingly
innocent activities might be suspicious. Others may notice
suspicious activity and may be hesitant to call for fear of seeming
“over-reactive.” Do not take it for granted that someone else will call.
Do not worry about “bothering” the Police, they are here to help.

Solicitation Is Not Allowed
Report solicitors or salesmen to the 24-Hour Service line at (310) 983-
1315	or	to	the	Police	at	(310)	825-1491.	If	a	solicitor	approaches	you,	jot	
down	a	description	and	call	one	of	these	numbers	immediately.		If	you	
feel you or others are in danger due to the solicitor, call 911 and explain
the situation. Do not confront the solicitor on your own.

Watch Out for Suspicious Persons
•	   Person(s)	loitering	about	at	unusual	hours	and	locations.
•	   Person(s)	running—especially	if	something	of	value	is	being	carried.	
     The individual(s) could be fleeing from the scene of a crime.
•	   Person(s)	exhibiting	unusual	mental	or	physical	symptoms.		The	
     individual(s) could be under the influence of drugs, or otherwise
     need medical or psychiatric assistance.
•	   Person(s)	going	from	apartment	to	apartment	trying	doorknobs.		
     This is possible “casing” for an apartment to enter in order to
     commit a crime against person or property.

Be on the Alert for Suspicious Situations
•	   Open	or	broken	doors	and	windows	which	could	signify	a	possible	
     burglary in progress or scene of a completed crime.
•	   Unusual	noises,	such	as	gunshots,	screaming,	and	anything	
     suggestive of foul play, danger, or illegal activity.
•	   Person(s)	sitting	in	parked	vehicles	for	an	extended	period	of	time.
•	   A	vehicle	driving	slowly	in	the	parking	lot	or	structure	at	night	with	
     its lights out.

When encountering such situations call the Police immediately!
Remember that the key to the success of any crime prevention
effort is you. Questions regarding crime prevention may be answered
by calling (310) 825-6111 (UCPD Crime Prevention) or the Rental Office
at (310) 983-1300.

         Earthquake Preparedness

Develop an Earthquake Plan
•	   Prepare	yourself,	your	roommates,	and	your	apartment.		
•	   Decide	how	and	where	your	roommates	or	family	will	reunite	if	
•	   Choose	an	out-of-state	friend	or	relative	that	separated	family	mem-
     bers	can	call	after	the	quake	to	report	their	whereabouts	and	condition.
•	   Know	the	danger	spots;	windows,	mirrors,	hanging	objects,	fire-
     places, and tall, unsecured furniture.
•	   Physically	place	yourself	in	safe	locations.		
•	   Learn	first	aid	and	CPR	(cardiopulmonary	resuscitation)	from	the	
     local	Red	Cross	chapter	or	other	community	organization.
•	   Keep	a	list	of	emergency	phone	numbers.

If You Live Alone, Develop a “Buddy” System with
Friends, Neighbors, and Co-Workers
•	   Plan	how	you	will	help	each	other	in	an	emergency.
•	   Make	a	list	of	your	medications,	allergies,	special	equipment,	names,	
     addresses, and telephone numbers of your doctor, pharmacy, family
     members,	friends,	and	any	other	important	information.		Give	a	copy	
     to each “buddy,” and keep a copy with you at all times.

Prepare by Eliminating Hazards in Your Apartment
•	   Securely	anchor	medical	equipment,	bookcases,	hanging	plants,	
     and other items.
•	   Place	heavy	objects	on	low	shelves.		Move	beds	away	from	
•	   Check	hallways,	exits,	doorways,	and	other	areas	and	remove	
     hazards	and	obstructions	that	may	impede	your	safe	exit	after	an	
•	   Install	security	night-lights	to	provide	emergency	lighting	if	power	is	

Gather Emergency Supplies
•	   Assemble	a	72-hour	emergency	supply	kit	and	a	well-stocked	first	
     aid kit (see the Emergency Supply Checklist).
•	   Store	extra	batteries	for	hearing	aids,	wheelchairs,	and	other	bat-
     tery-operated	equipment.	
•	   Keep	a	mini-survival	kit	in	your	car.

                 Emergency Supply Checklist
Stocking up now on emergency supplies can add to your safety and com-
fort	during	and	after	an	earthquake.		Store	enough	supplies	for	at	least	72	

Survival                                 Safety and Comfort
•	 Water—2	quarts	to	1	gallon	per	       •	 A whistle to signal for assistance.
   person per day                        •	 Sturdy shoes
•	 First	Aid	Kit—freshly	stocked         •	 Heavy gloves for clearing debris
•	 First	Aid	Book                        •	 Candles and matches
•	 Food (packaged, canned,               •	 Change of clothing
   no-cook, baby food, and for           •	 Knife	or	razor	blades	for	cutting	
   special diets)                           up food and other items
•	 Can opener (non-electric)             •	 Tent
•	 Blankets	or	sleeping	bags             •	 Garden	hose—for	siphoning	and	
•	 Portable radio, flashlight, and          fire fighting
   spare batteries
•	 Essential and prescription            Cooking
   medications and glasses               •	 Plastic knives, forks, spoons
•	 Fire	extinguisher—A-B-C	type          •	 Paper towels
•	 Food and water for pets               •	 Paper plates and cups
•	 Money                                 •	 Heavy-duty aluminum foil

Sanitation Supplies                      Tools & Supplies
•	 Feminine and infant supplies          •	 Ax, shovel, and broom
•	 Toilet paper                          •	 Screwdriver, pliers, hammer
•	 Household bleach                      •	 Crescent wrench for turning off
•	 Toothpaste and toothbrushes              gas
•	 Bar	soap	and	liquid	detergent         •	 Coil of 1/2” rope
•	 Shampoo                               •	 Plastic tape and sheeting
•	 Large plastic trash bags for trash,   •	 Toys to keep children occupied
   waste, and water protection
•	 Large trash cans
•	 Newspaper—to	wrap	garbage	
   and waste

Special Tips for Persons with Disabilities
Deaf or Hearing-Impaired Residents
Keep a battery-operated television on hand, with fresh batteries, in
order to receive close-captioned emergency information if power is out.
Store flashlight, pencil, and pad for communicating. Arrange for hear-
ing friends or coworkers to relay information broadcast by radio.

Blind Residents or Those with Impaired Vision
Keep extra canes in strategic areas around the home. Plan alternate
evacuation routes from home and office. Store extra pet food and sup-
plies for your guide dog.

Simple Steps to Protect Your Computer System
Surge Protector
Earthquakes	can	cause	damage	to	the	equipment	resulting	in	power	
interruptions and outages. To protect the computer from damage
caused by automatic return of power, always use a surge protector
equipped	with	a	circuit	breaker	on	the	power	supply.		To	minimize	loss	
of data for larger systems and to provide an opportunity for manual
shutdown, an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is recommended.

Protection from Falling Objects
Even	minor	to	moderate	earthquakes	shake	down	objects	considered	
safely secured, such as light fixtures, ceiling tiles, hanging plants, top
heavy cabinets and furniture standard in any office setting. To protect
computer	equipment	from	damage	caused	by	falling	objects,	keep	
computer under a protective shelving unit or hutch assembly. Secure
any	objects	or	equipment	that	could	be	a	potential	hazard	if	they	fell.

Secure Computer Equipment
Moderate	to	severe	shaking	could	cause	computer	equipment	to	fall	
from a desk or counter top, or damage hard disk drives that have been
left on. To protect against damage to hard disk drives, always turn off
the	power	supply	to	the	disk	drive,	or	utilize	a	“park”	command	that	
may	protect	that	drive	from	scratching	the	disk.		Also,	computer	equip-
ment itself may be secured to a desk or counter top using Velcro tabs,
strapping, or locked security base.

Back Up Data on a Regular Basis
The most effective method of ensuring against significant loss in stored
data and certain heartache is to back up all essential data on a regular
basis (minimum weekly, perhaps daily) and to store data back up at a
separate location from the system.

Avoid Water Hazard Potential
Water	lines	and	pipes	are	very	susceptible	to	damage	from	earthquake	
shaking.		Identify	locations	of	water	pipes	in	ceiling	and	walls	and	avoid	
placing	computer	equipment	in	areas	close	to	water	pipes.

Cover Equipment
An	inexpensive	way	to	protect	equipment	from	excessive	dust,	activated	
overhead fire protection sprinklers, damage from falling objects, flying
glass	fragments	and	other	hazards	caused	by	earthquakes	is	to	always	
leave	the	computer	equipment	protected	with	a	cover.		Be	sure	to	cover	all	
equipment,	such	as	printers,	modems,	and	other	peripheral	accessories.

Sturdy and Secure Base
Whether you use a counter top, designer computer table, or your in-
laws’	old	poker	table,	the	equipment	should	be	on	a	sturdy	and	secure	
foundation.		If	the	earthquake	occurs	while	your	eyes	are	glued	to	the	
screen, this same foundation becomes your own personal protection as
well.		If	you	feel	that	the	computer	table	will	not	withstand	minor	shak-
ing,	then	you	must	move	yourself	and	the	valuable	equipment	to	a	safer	
location.		If	that	is	not	possible,	then	always	leave	the	computer	safely	
on the floor where it cannot fall.

During an Earthquake - Duck, Cover, and Hold Tips
When	you	feel	an	earthquake,	duck under a desk or sturdy table. Stay
away from windows, bookcases, file cabinets, heavy mirrors, hanging
plants and other heavy objects that could fall. Watch out for falling
plaster or ceiling tiles. Stay under cover until the shaking stops. Hold
onto	the	desk	or	table.		If	it	moves,	move	with	it.		Here	are	some	addi-
tional tips for specific locations.
•	   If	you’re	in	a	high-rise building, and you are not near a desk or
     table, move against an interior wall, and protect your head with
     your arms. Do not use the elevators. Do not be surprised if the fire
     alarm or sprinkler systems come on.
•	   If	you’re	in	the	kitchen, move away from the refrigerator, stove, and
     overhead cupboards.
•	   If	you’re	in	a	wheelchair, stay in it. Move to cover if possible, lock
     the wheels, and protect your head with your arms.
•	   If	you’re	outdoors, move to a clear area, away from trees, signs,
     buildings, or downed electrical wires and poles.
•	   If	you’re	on	a	sidewalk near buildings, duck into a doorway to
     protect yourself from falling bricks, glass, plaster and other debris.
•	   If	you’re	driving, pull over to the side of the road and stop. Avoid
     overpasses,	power	lines,	and	other	hazards.		Stay	inside	the	vehicle	
     until the shaking is over.
     •	   If	you’re	in	a	crowded store or other public place, do not rush
          for exits. Move away from display shelves containing objects that
          could fall.
     •	   If	you’re	in	a	stadium or theater, stay in your seat and protect
          your head with your arms. Do not try to leave until the shaking is
          over. Then leave in a calm, orderly manner.

     After an Earthquake - Be Prepared for Aftershocks,
     and Plan Where You Will Take Cover When They Occur
     •	   Check	for	injuries.	Apply	first	aid.	Do	not	move	seriously	injured	
          individuals unless they are in immediate danger.
     •	   Do	not	use	the	telephone	unless	there	is	a	serious	injury	or	fire.
     •	   Hunt	for	hazards.	Check	for	gas	and	water	leaks,	broken	electrical	
          wiring or cracked sewage lines.
     •	   Report	any	damage	to	UA	North	Facilities	Management.
     •	   Check	food	and	water	supplies.		Emergency	water	may	be	
          obtained from water heaters, melted ice cubes, toilet tanks and
          canned vegetables.
     •	   Turn	on	the	portable	radio	for	instructions	and	news	reports.	
     •	   Cooperate	fully	with	public	safety	officials.
     •	   Do	not	use	your	vehicle	unless	there	is	an	emergency	need	to	do	so.
     •	   Keep	the	streets	clear	for	emergency	vehicles.
     •	   Be	prepared	for	aftershocks.
     •	   Stay	calm	and	lend	a	hand	to	others.
     •	   If	you	evacuate,	post	a	message	inside	your	home	telling	family	
          members where you can be found.

     OK Sign
     Following a major disaster, available emergency personnel will conduct
     search	and	rescue	efforts.	Given	that	our	resources	will	likely	be	over-
     whelmed initially, it is imperative that residents do their part to assist us by
     verifying that everyone in their unit is “OKAY’ and by placing the “OK sign”
     in a location most visible from the public right-of-way (e.g., front door or
     window). This lets us know that the residents are okay and we can go
     directly	to	those	who	need	immediate	assistance.	If,	when	disaster	strikes,	
     residents can’t access a printed sign, they can create their own “OK sign”
     (simply write the word “OK” in large letters on a piece of paper).

     Renter’s Insurance
     The University’s self-insurance program does not provide coverage for
     any of the tenant’s personal property. Renter’s insurance is a type of
     policy available to a person who rents a dwelling. Such policies usually
     cover personal possessions and liability, but not the dwelling itself.
     Renter’s insurance can be purchased through most insurance companies.

Shared By: