READ THIS GUIDE BEFORE CHANGING YOUR TUTORIAL GROUP
HOW TO SWAP YOURSELF INTO A TIMETABLED TUTORIAL GROUP
You are currently enrolled in a bucket tutorial group (TL01/2) for your Psychology
course (eg. PSY1001W; PSY2006F; PSY3007F; etc.). A bucket tutorial group is not
a real tutorial group, it only holds students until they move into a timetabled (TG)
You will use PeopleSoft’s student self-service to swap yourself into a timetabled
tutorial group (TG).
This on-line swapping facility will only be available from 17 Feb to 3 March 2006.
After the 3rd of March the self-service swap will be closed.
Please ensure that you swap into a timetabled tutorial group (TG) before 3
PeopleSoft’s definition of “CLASS” consists of two components:
1. Course Lecture; and
2. Tutorial Group.
Both lectures and the tutorial groups will thus be displayed in your class schedule.
Students are advised to check their course registrations online using the student
portal to avoid finding out too late that they are not registered for the correct courses.
Please note - PeopleSoft system returns an error message which erroneously
advises students that there is a problem with their password if they have
If you *cannot* gain access to your information on the student portal, please go
down to the fees office to check your fee balances. Do not change your
Lab tutors will be on duty in the labs once term starts to assist with genuine cases of
password changes. See them only after you have gone to the fees office.
1. Signing into student self service:
As a student, you sign into self service using your UCT student number (known in
PeopleSoft as a campus ID). You use your UCT network password as the
1. Enter CAMPUS ID (STUDENT NO.) in the User ID field.
2. Enter NETWORK PASSWORD in the Password field.
3. Click the Sign In button.
2. Navigating to Enroll in a Class:
You navigate to Enroll in a class.
1. Click the SA Self Service hyperlink.
2. Click the Learner Services hyperlink.
3. Click the Academics hyperlink.
4. Click the Enroll in a Class hyperlink.
3. Viewing your class schedule:
A list of the classes in which you are enrolled for the 2006 term appears.
Remember that „class‟ refers to both lectures and tutorials
1. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
4. Navigating to Swap Classes:
The bottom of the page features hyperlinks that allow you to view a different
academic term, or to generate a printable page.
In this case, you wish to perform a class swap.
1. Click the Swap Classes hyperlink.
5. Looking up the class that the student is swapping to:
PeopleSoft displays the class from which you can swap. You need to enter the
class to which you will swap.
1. Click the Swap To Class Nbr Lookup button. (Looks like a little
6. Searching for the class number:
You search for the classes (lectures, tutorials) that have been scheduled for your
course (Psy1001W; Psy2006F; Psy3007F; etc.)
1. Enter PSY in the Subject: field.
2. Enter COURSE NUMBER (e.g. 1001W; 2006F) in the Catalog Number:
3. Click the Search button.
7. Selecting the class number of the relevant tutorial group:
PeopleSoft displays all the 2006 scheduled classes. You can identify timetabled
tutorial classes by the prefix "TG" in the column labeled “SECT”.
In this example, we are swapping to the tutorial group TG01. You would however,
choose the tutorial group which suits you (e.g. TG01 – TG28 for Psy1001W)).
1. Scroll until you see the class named TG__.(Choose the tutorial group
you wish to attend)
2. Click the Select Class Nbr ….. button. (Next to your selected tutorial
group) The action of clicking the checkbox selects the class.
8. Confirming the swap request
In this example you confirm that you wish to swap from class 60198(bucket tutorial
“TL”) to class 60189 (timetabled tutorial “TG”).
CHECK THAT ALL THE INFORMATION IS CORRECT.
1. Click the OK button. If all the information is correct.
Click Cancel, if it is not correct.
9. Submitting the swap:
Once you have submitted the swap successfully, you can view your personal class
1. Click the Submit button. The system allows you to submit the swap using
either of the two Submit buttons.
2. Click the View My Schedule hyperlink.
10. Viewing your updated schedule:
You refresh your personal class schedule so that it shows only classes in which you
Once you have completed the swap, and viewed the results, you can sign out of
1. Deselect the Show Dropped Classes checkbox.
2. Click the Refresh Class Schedule button.
3. Click the Sign Out hyperlink.