MYCETISM by djsgjg0045

VIEWS: 32 PAGES: 2

									MYCETISM
 Abstract
 Mycetism is nothing but Mushroom poisoning. The term mycetism refers to harmful
effects due to the intake of highly toxic substances present in a inedible mushroom. If
the inedible mushrooms are ingested unfortunately, it may cause several fatal
disorders. Intake of such mushrooms may cause several problems to stomach. These
symptoms can vary from slight gastrointestinal discomfort to death. Majority of
mushroom poisonings in general are the result of small children, especially young
children.
 Introduction
 Mycetism is caused due to the presence of harmful toxins in some mushrooms. The
toxins present are secondary metabolites produced in specific biochemical pathways
in the fungal cells. Mushroom poisoning is usually the result of ingestion of wild
mushrooms after misidentification of a toxic mushroom as an edible species. The
most common reason for this misidentification is close resemblance in terms of colour
and general morphology of the toxic mushrooms species with edible species. Even
very experienced wild mushroom gatherers are upon rare occasion poisoned by eating
toxic species, despite being well aware of the risks, through carelessness. Sometimes
the misidentification occurs ,because hardly they spend more time while collecting
mushroom.. To prevent mushroom poisoning, mushroom gatherers need to be very
intimately familiar with the mushrooms they intend to collect, including thorough
knowledge of the toxic species that looks similar to these edible species. Other
considerations regard methods of preparation and toxicity of some fungal species that
appears to vary with geographic location, raising the potential of mushroom poisoning
due to local toxicity of a correctly identified species and also they should allocate
enough time while gathering mushrooms in more wild areas to prevent the
misidentification of mushrooms. Causes and prevention of mushroom poisoning Of
the many thousands of mushroom species in the world, only 32 have been associated
with fatalities, and additionally 52 have been identified as containing significant
toxins. By far the majority of mushroom poisonings doesn 鈥 檛 cause death
immediately. But the majority of fatal poisonings are distinguished from others.
Majority of mushroom poisonings in general are the result of small children,
especially toddlers (young children) in the "grazing" stage, ingesting mushrooms
found in the lawn. While this can happen with any mushroom, Chlorophyll
molybdites is often implicated due to its preference for growing in lawns. C.
molybdites causes severe gastrointestinal upset but is not considered deadly poisonous.
However, mushroom poisoning is not always due to mistaken identity. For example,
the highly toxic ergot (Claviceps purpurea), which grows on rye, may mixed up with
rye, unnoticed, and later consumed. This can cause devastation, even fatal effects,
which is called Ergotism. Unusual reactions to fungi can also occur. Some are
probably due to hypersensitive reactions, others to some other kind of sensitivity. It is
not uncommon for an individual person to experience gastrointestinal upset associated
with one particular mushroom species or genus. Eating small portions when trying a
new mushroom may be used as a precaution to identify individual problems with the
new species.
  Conclusion:
  Many mushrooms are high in fiber but excessive consumption of mushrooms may
lead to indigestion, which may be diagnosed as mushroom "poisoning.鈥?Sometimes
the rotten mushrooms may also cause poisonous effects. So hereby we could conclude
that, mushrooms should be well analyzed for its goodness before cooking, should be
aware of inedible mushrooms and the infectious diseases caused by them.
  Reference:
  California poison action line:mushrooms. Mushroom poisoning syndromes.NAMA
  CONTACT: K.P.PADMAPRIYA Padmapriya111@rocketmail.com Maha College of
Engineering (Salem, Tamil Nadu, INDIA)

								
To top