Net1's core service offering can be broken down into Transaction Services and Transaction Management:
EasyPay (Pty) Ltd. - Net1's Transaction Services Division
EasyPay, is a division of Prism Holdings, (a wholly owned subsidiary of Net1 UEPS Technologies Inc.). EasyPay is the leading provider of
electronic funds transfer (EFT) and bill payment processing services to South Africa's retail and financial sectors. Controlling the largest
bank-independent financial switch in Southern Africa, the company's infrastructure connects into all major South African banks and
switches both debit and credit card EFT transactions. EasyPay focuses on the provision of high-volume, secure and convenient payment,
pre-payment and value-added services to the South African market. In 2009 the company processed more than 617 million transactions
on behalf of the country's leading petroleum companies, retailers, bill issuers and financial institutions.
In addition to addressing the core business of transaction processing and switching, EasyPay provides a complete end-to-end
reconciliation and settlement service to its business partners. This service includes dynamic reconciliation and report and screen-query
tools for down-to-store-level, management and control purposes.
EasyPay is gearing the business through continuous enhancement of people, processes and systems. This has seen investment in state-
of-the-art reconciliation, fee, settlement, business intelligence and service orientated architecture technologies. This, coupled to similar
investment in people and processes, has secured EasyPay's position as the premium service provider of its type.
EasyPay's flexibility enables its unproblematic integration to various hardware platforms and pay-point applications within large retail
groups, smaller stores and franchises.
These platforms include:
• Retail POS • EFT Terminals
• Standalone Pcs • Self Service terminals
• Kiosks • ATMs
• Mobile Handsets • The Internet
Establishments which currently make use of EasyPay services include:
• The largest retailers in South Africa, including Edcon, Massmart, Pick n Pay, Shoprite Checkers and Woolworths.
• The largest banks in South Africa, including ABSA and First National Bank
• The largest telephony operators in South Africa, including Telkom, MTN, Vodacom and Cell C
• The largest petroleum companies in South Africa, including Caltex, Shell and Chevron
• Numerous local authorities and traffic departments
• The largest electricity supplier in South Africa, ESKOM
• The South African Broadcasting Corporation
• Various bill issuers from a variety of sectors such as insurance, medical aid, cosmetic sales, financial, legal, mail order and funeral
homes are using EasyPay to handle their consumer payment requirements.
EasyPay developed and operates the consumer bill payment service introduced at retail point-of-service over 13 years ago, the service is
integrated into South Africa's largest retailers, mobile channels and online via the EasyPay Website.
EasyPay processes monthly account payments for approximately 200 different bill issuers including major local authorities, telcos,
utilities, medical services, traffic departments, mail order houses, banks and insurance companies - amongst others.
The Bill Payment service allows consumers to pay a number of bills, including Municipal Rates, Water, Electricity, Telkom, SABC, Traffic
Fines, Insurance and commercial accounts at pay-points across South Africa.
Pay-points include national outlets such as Pick 'n Pay, Shoprite Checkers, Checkers Hyper, Lewis, EasyPay's Website and many more.
Consumers can also pay bills via their mobile handset using an MTN Banking product called MobileMoney or the Wizzit Bank offering.
The service supports the online, real-time validation of amounts to be paid including the expiry dates of certain account types, this is
beneficial for the payment of traffic fines for which this level of data is highly relevant.
Gift cards are widely used in the commercial sector for marketing, sponsorship and gifting purposes. Control drawbacks such as security
hazards, shrinkage, administration concerns, reconciliation, settlement and auditing however, have had a negative impact on the
widespread distribution of gift cards.
EasyPay's Gift Card service supports the electronic generation, issuing, redemption and settlement of gift vouchers in paper, mag-stripe
or stored-value card format. The service is supported by web-based administration tools and reporting, reconciliation and settlement
Whilst the system supports both paper and card-based vouchers, a card-based solution allows for the re-use of cards by consumers,
additional funds can easily be loaded, and the system provides various marketing and branding opportunities which can be extended into
the loyalty scheme domain. Paper-based vouchers can only be used once.
EasyPay launched the Gift Card service for the Edcon Group in 2003 and for the Shoprite Checkers group in 2004
Benefits for Retailers:
• The elimination of all losses due to fraud. • Increased turnover.
• Enhanced customer loyalty. • The support of innovative business partners.
The Gift Card service provides:
• A progressive marketing, communications and strategy tool. • Seamless deployment.
• Reliable service. • Limited upfront costs.
• Sustainable ROI.
EasyPay enables the issue of new SABC TV licenses and the capture of existing license details in the retail environment and via a web-
based user interface or POS integrated solution.
Following legislation which made it illegal for retailers to sell television sets to consumers without a valid television license, this service
became a necessity. Effectively eliminating the need for retailers to supply registers to the SABC, the service automatically provides each
license issue or update electronically.
Makro was the first retailer to make use of the service and today it is used by MDD (Dion and Game), JD Group, Lewis Group and a
comprehensive group of smaller merchants.
This service enables the secure vending of prepaid cellular (MTN, Vodacom, Cell C Virgin Mobile, Sundial and Telkom) vouchers at
conveniently located retail outlets nationwide. The service supports national retailers in the effective management of virtual airtime
stock with all transactions processed in real-time and online on EasyPay's transaction servers.
This offering is intended for all retailers and smaller merchants who sell services to their customers and is currently operational at
retailers such as Pick 'n Pay, Shoprite, Checkers, Checkers Hyper, Edcon Group, ATM Solutions and more.
EasyPay Prepaid Electricity enables the vending of prepaid electricity for electricity utilities such as Eskom and a growing number of local
authorities on a national basis.
The vending of prepaid electricity is done in full compliance with industry standards, technical and business requirements, and in support
of the Free Basic Electricity (FBE) tariff. EasyPay is also a member of AMEU (Association of Municipal Electricity Undertakings SA).
Purchase points include national Pick 'n Pay outlets, Shoprite Checkers, Lewis, Vodacom containers (via Sandulela/Wired Loop), selected
petroleum convenience-stores, ATMs of some of South Africa's largest banks and EasyPay's website.
Consumers can purchase prepaid electricity via their cellular handsets using MTN's MobileMoney.
EasyPay switches credit, debit, fleet, staff and private label card EFT transactions for some of South Africa's leading retailers and
Key to this offering is the reconciliation, settlement and 24x7 monitoring service provided when switching transactions between
merchant's POS infrastructure and the acquiring institution's back-end system.
• Fast, secure, low cost and low risk for consumers and customers.
• Facilitates cash withdrawals and balance enquiries from debit cards at the POS reducing the need for bank-owned ATMs.
• Provides online access to extended hot-card file lists, minimizing fraud.
• Access to real-time transaction and history data for management statistics, customer trend tracking and query tools.
• Enables merchants to interface to banks or other switches, providing payment facilities for a wide range of bank cards.
• Financial institutions are ensured of EFT transactions that are consistently delivered in accordance with their electronic banking
• Centralized risk control and capacity management.
Hosting: EasyPay switches transactions from retail point-of-purchase to the relevant back-end systems for:
• Check Guarantee Services (“CGS”) and
• Private Label transactions (e.g. Vision)
Hosting (across payment servers and applications)
EasyPay hosts payment servers and applications on behalf of third parties including financial institutions. This includes hosting of
Postilion EFT switches.
Settlement and Reconciliation
In addition to addressing the core business of bank card-originated payment processing, EasyPay provides a complete end-to-end
reconciliation and settlement service to its business partners. This service includes dynamic reconciliation and report and screen-query
tools for down-to-store-level, real-time management control purposes.
• Net1's Transaction Management service incorporates the entire EFT and non-EFT transactions suites, allowing merchants to be
able to accept a range of payment tokens and banks to acquire those payment tokens.
• This encompasses conventional mag-stripe cards, credit, debit and private label cards, contact and contact-less smart cards with
PIN and/or biometric cardholder verification.
• The service utilizes a complex set of processing rules defined by the Card Associations, Central Bank and local issuers on how to
accept or reject the payment token presented to a Merchant. These rules are applied for goods or services and vary by merchant
category as background tasks of the Transaction Management Service.
FlexiLANE™ is an end-to-end payment solution designed to assist retail merchants and petroleum companies with the processing and
handling of multiple transactions from several devices using multiple tender types.
FlexiLANE™ forms an interfacing layer between a group of distributed terminal devices and a centralized payment and value added
services (VAS) provider. This serves as an in-store payment controller which links all terminals to one site server and combines all
In this way FlexiLANE™ standardizes all legacy applications; handles the configuration and security needs of each device connected to it;
manages Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) processing; effortlessly provides all VAS solutions and provides centralized and remote
monitoring, management and reporting.
The FlexiLANE™ central server, FlexiGATE™ is a gateway managing the routing of all FlexiLANE™ traffic.
? Complete Forecourt and C-Store integration
? Supports POS integration
? Fraud counter measures
? Web access for consolidated view of transaction history and reconciliation management
? Provides merchants with transactional control
? Ability to accept all card payment types – debit/credit (EMV)
? Supports Prism Outdoor Payment Terminal (OPT)
? Optional Electronic Cash Register (ECR) integration
? Portable terminals supported
? Ease of use
? Rapid installation
? Supports configurable forecourt product and pricing
? Comprehensive device management and terminal asset tracking
? Reliable, fast and efficient transaction processing
? Integrated crypto and key management functionality
? Maximum payment systems uptime; 15,000 hours field experience
? Remote management and diagnostics requiring minimal onsite maintenance
? Prepaid Electricity; Prepaid Airtime; Electronic Gift Vouchers; Bill Payment and TV License Payment
Features and Functions:
? Magstripe based Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
? EMV - smartcard based EFT tokens
? Value Added Services (VAS)
? Comprehensive device management
? Security and key management
? Comprehensive transaction logging
? System and Transaction logging
? Remote monitoring and management using NETMONS
FlexiPOS - Multi Application Framework for Point-Of-Sale Platforms
Today's retail consumer is more demanding and less loyal than ever before, retailers are therefore continually looking for new and
innovative ways to differentiate their service offering and increase revenue streams.
One strategy for achieving these business goals is implementing expanded payment, Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and Value Added
Service (VAS) solutions at retail Point-Of-Sale (POS).
FlexiPOS is a retail solution that allows the retailer's various payment and VAS solution requirements to be streamlined into a single POS
device. With FlexiPOS, the POS is equipped to become the place of purchase, place of payment and place of service for consumers
shopping in store.
Developed to enable secure, efficient and cost effective transacting, FlexiPOS is based on a highly modular design which provides
retailers with the flexibility to add and/or adjust new payment and VAS applications with minimal impact.
With FlexiPOS, retailers are provided with access to new applications within 2 months. In addition, the time and effort required to adjust,
maintain and certify applications is significantly reduced.
• Increased stability and flexibility of applications.
• Reduced development time and cost to supply additional applications.
• Reduced time to market for additional services.
• The modular design allows for smaller application files which means smaller downloads, thus reduced running costs and
• Remote software downloads reduces support and logistical costs for software updates.
• Increased flexibility for the customer.
• Combines the functionality of multiple devices on one platform, no longer do you need one device per application – uncluttered
• Even though these applications are independent of each other, using the managing application they can request services from
each other, allow a complete transaction from VAS to payment and receipt.
• Certification becomes more controlled as each application is independent.
• Small changes do not mean an entire overhaul of applications in order to re-certify, only that application needs to be certified.
• Additional payment methods downloaded to the device become immediately available to existing applications without
development changes or enhancements to those applications.
• Reduced total cost of ownership, one device will be able to provide all customer requirements over a long life cycle.
FlexiVIEW™ allows anywhere, anytime monitoring and management of FlexiPOS terminals.
FlexiGATE™ is the next generation Terminal Gateway running on open architecture and managing the routing of all FlexiLANE™ traffic. It
is responsible for seamlessly integrating terminal infrastructure to any host system and for providing a basis from which all VAS
integration can take place.
FlexiGATE™ works in conjunction with FlexiVIEW™ as part of the Terminal Management service enabling software downloads, version
management, BIN and hot card file processing. FlexiGATE™ enables retailers to supply VAS such as Airtime top-up, Electricity Payment
and Bill Payment services to customers.
FlexiMASTER is the central service for managing multiple FlexiLANE™ devices and is the interface into a switch or bank host service for
EFT and VAS such as Airtime top-up, Bill Payment and Gift Card.