Minutes

Document Sample
Minutes Powered By Docstoc
					Minutes
Maternity Services Liaison Committee (MSLC)
Date: 18th March 2010
Venue: Redvales Children Centre

Present:                     Janet Turner       (JT)          Chair NHS Bury

                             Farana Awan        (FA)          Community Services Bury
                             Kathryn Bond       (KB)          Community Services Bury
                             Joanna Connor      (JC)          Community Services Bury
                             Kathy Hall         (KH)          C.E.S - Bury MBC
                             Helen Lambert      (HL)          NHS Bury
                             Sarah Morton       (SM)          NCT
                             Olivia Taylor      (OT)          NHS Bury
                             Denise Woods       (DW)          PAHT

In Attendance                User Representative (UR)

Minutes:                     Claire Mann        (CM)          NHS Bury

Agenda
Item No

    1.     Apologies for absence

           Marie Forshaw
           Helen Sigsworth

    2.     Minutes of the previous meeting held on the 17th December 2009
           The minutes of the last meeting were approved as an accurate record by the
           Chair.

    3.     Matters arising from the previous minutes

           HL advised that the proposed zoning arrangements have not been
           authorised by Pennine Care.

    4.     PALS update

           ML informed the group that PALS does not usually get any queries
           regarding Maternity services. However, a formal complaint is currently being
           dealt with regarding a home birth that took place after an individual was sent
           away from Fairfield.


1
         ACTION - ML to ensure that the MSLC is informed of any maternity
         feedback and ensure that this is linked in with the complaints department.


    5.   Terms of Reference (See Attached)

         JT advised that the Terms Of Reference will be deferred until the next
         meeting. JT feels that there has been an updated version of the TOR and
         would like HL to check this with the Audit Committee and report back to the
         group.

         ACTION - CM to contact Audit Committee to establish the latest TOR for the
         group.

         ACTION - CM and OT to ensure that MSLC minutes are sent to board
         meetings.



    6.   Recruitment of New Mothers

         UR informed the group that the dates and times of the MSLC meetings
         advertised at Fairfield are incorrect.

         ACTION - OT to send DW and SM new poster to advertise MSLC.
              - OT to assess where else this can be advertised, e.g. Children’s
           Centres, Bounty Packs etc.

         The group have decided on a new time of 9:30- 11:30 for the MSLC
         Meetings.
         SM advised that she would be happy to promote the MSLC meeting in the
         NCT quarterly magazines to get feedback for the members of the group.

         HL thought it would be a good idea to go out to new mothers to gain
         feedback, in addition to the MSLC. The group felt that this could be done
         through groups already taking place at children’s centres

         ACTION: OT to meet with Angela Kenyon (Patient and Public Involvement
         Co-ordinator) to discuss ways to gain feedback from Bury mothers, other
         than through MSLC. –

         DW advised the group of a request brought forward by a representative of
         safebirth.org. She has offered to come to Bury to host a one day Birth
         Trauma workshop for women who have an emotional impact of a difficult
         birth. The group discussed support available for women in Bury who suffer
         stress following a birth. DW mentioned that there is a counsellor in
         Manchester that helps to deal with these issues and can offer a range of
         options for these women.

         HL advised that this programme could potentially be run in-house by IAPS
         team.


2
         ACTION- HL to take this issue to the Primary Mental Health
         - DW to respond to Sarah Trulio regarding the workshop.

         DW advised that the Maternity Service Survey results have been
         published and includes a list of woman who want to be involved in future
         meetings.

         ACTION- DW to send list of patients who wish to be involved in MSLC to OT

         User Representative Feedback

         A user representative attended to give feedback to the group on her
         experience through pregnancy. The issues discussed were as follows;

            1. Lack of consistent care- Patient was treated by someone different for
               each appointment. These members of staff were also often trainees.
            2. UR did not feel that the staff took adequate notes. There was often no
               record of previous visits in her notes. This meant that at every
               appearance, the patient had to explain the problems over and over
               again.
            3. The problems that the patient experienced had happened in previous
               pregnancy but no care plan was devised for the second pregnancy.
            4. Waiting times for antenatal appointments were always very long.
               Reasons for the delay were not explained to the patient.

         ACTION: DW & HL to take this forward to North East sector maternity. To
         establish if it’s an issue in Fairfield or across Pennine.

         ACTION: DW to flag up the issue internally.

         ACTION: HL to establish whether a letter could be devised to inform
         patients of what to expect at appointments.

    7.   Breastfeeding Update

         KB gave members an overview of progress in reaching the 6 - 8 week
         breastfeeding targets and that she has recently been involved with a NCT
         meeting.

         Currently looking to incorporate breast feeding into the healthy school
         programme.

         KB advised that she is currently running teenage parent educations sessions
         and young dads are coming along and getting involved.

         A peer support service is running 2-3 more courses. The service will provide
         face to face support and commitment to all new mothers within 48 hours.


    8.   Making it better update

         HL discussed the local work on Midwife Lead Units to establish the

3
          requirements of a safe and cost-effective MLU.

          HL and DW explained that as part of the MiB reconfiguration the community
          midwifery service in Bury would be geographically zoned between PAHT
          and Royal Bolton.

          This arrangement will take effect when obstetrician-led deliveries are
          decommissioned on the FGH site, currently planned for September 2011.

          The existing PAHT community midwives who deliver services in areas of
          Bury where women are likely to deliver their babies at Royal Bolton will
          transfer to work for Royal Bolton.

          HL agreed to send the latest maps showing the proposed zoning
          arrangements to CM for circulation with the minutes.


    9.    AOB

          NCT - Currently running Anti-natal classes in Bury with reduced costs for
          under 18. The course is £180 for an 8 week course.

          Kathy Hall is leaving and there will need to be a new representative for the
          Sure Start Centre.

          Date and time of next meeting

          18          2010            9:30-11:30




Actions                                               By        Timescale
CM to contact Audit Committee to establish the       Next
                                                                    CM
latest TOR for the group.                           Meeting

ML to ensure that the MSLC is informed of any
                                                     Next
maternity feedback and ensure that this is linked                   ML
                                                    Meeting
in with the complaints department

To advise all members of the new times for           Next
                                                                    CM
future meetings.                                    Meeting

CM and OT to ensure that MSLC minutes are            Next
                                                                 CM & OT
sent to board meetings.                             Meeting

OT to produce a feedback template and sent to        Next
                                                                    OT
ML at PALS                                          Meeting




4
OT to send DW and SM new poster to advertise
MSLC.                                                 Next
OT to assess where else this can be advertised,                  OT
                                                     Meeting
e.g. Children’s Centres, Bounty Packs etc.


OT to meet with Angela Kenyon (Patient and
Public Involvement Co-ordinator) to discuss ways      Next
                                                                 OT
to gain feedback from Bury mothers, other than       Meeting
through MSLC.

HL to take this issue to the Primary Mental
Health
                                                      Next
                                                     Meeting   HL & DW
DW to respond to Sarah Trulio regarding the
workshop.

DW & HL to take this forward to North East
                                                      Next
sector maternity. To establish if it’s an issue in             DW & HL
                                                     Meeting
Fairfield or across Pennine.

DW & HL to take this forward to North East
sector maternity- Pro active care plan                Next
                                                               DW & HL
                                                     Meeting
DW to flag up the issue internally.

HL to establish whether a letter could be devised
                                                      Next
to inform patients of what to expect at                          HL
                                                     Meeting
appointments

HL to find out if there were process maps
                                                      Next
available and performance monitoring                             HL
                                                     Meeting
information.




5

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:52
posted:2/8/2011
language:English
pages:5