July 16, 2008
Bid Specifications and Instructions to Bidders
North Broadway Street Building Demolition
The Village of Spencerville is currently seeking bids for the referenced project. Each of the properties is
located within the Village corporation limits and is owned by the Village of Spencerville. Each of the
buildings has two (2) stories and the overall footprint area of all four (4) buildings is +/-88’ wide by +/-
99’ deep. The specific properties and their parcel identification numbers are listed below:
a. 125 N. Broadway Street Parcel # E1944120714005000
b. 127 N. Broadway Street Parcel # E1944120714004000
c. 129 N. Broadway Street Parcel # E1944120714003000
d. 131 N. Broadway Street Parcel # E1944120714002000
Listed below are the bid specifications and instructions for the demolition of the four (4) properties
referenced above. Contractors shall base their bid on the specifications listed.
1. Contractor’s proposal shall be accompanied by a performance bond, with corporate surety or
sureties satisfactory to the Village, or by certified check on a solvent bank. The amount of the
bond shall be equal to 100% of the Contractor’s Bid. The amount of the certified check shall
be equal to 10% of the Contractor’s Bid.
2. Contractor shall provide proof of current General Comprehensive Liability Insurance with
minimum policy limits of One Million Dollars ($1,000,000).
3. Contractor shall provide proof of current Worker’s Compensation Insurance.
4. Contractor shall enter into a written Independent Contractor Agreement with the Village of
Spencerville prior to work commencement.
5. Contractor to provide all necessary labor, tools and equipment to complete the project.
6. Village shall provide access to water for spraying during demolition. Contractor shall provide
the necessary hoses and nozzles.
7. Contractor shall contact the Ohio Utilities Protection Service at least forty-eight (48) hours
prior to work commencement, in order for the appropriate agencies to mark their respective
8. The Village has contacted all utility companies regarding the existing utilities servicing the
subject properties, and has requested that they be disconnected. Utility companies contacted
include: Dominion East Ohio Gas, American Electric Power, Verizon, Time Warner Cable
and the Village of Spencerville.
9. Contractor shall be responsible for ensuring that all utilities (with the exception of the storm
sewers and sanitary sewers) have been disconnected from the subject properties prior to
10. Contractor shall provide the Village of Spencerville’s representative, Sean Chapman, and the
owners of the adjoining properties (123 N. Broadway Street and 133 N. Broadway Street), a
two (2) week notice prior to work commencement.
11. Contractor shall provide traffic control and devices as necessary.
12. Contractor shall provide a protective barrier surrounding the entire construction area during the
13. All buildings have been cleared of all Asbestos Containing Materials, which were identified in
the Phase I Environmental Site Assessment performed by Allied Environmental on March 19,
2007. Therefore, the buildings have been cleared for demolition.
14. Contractor shall cap each encountered sanitary sewer service and storm sewer service in
accordance with all local, county and State laws.
15. Contractor shall base their bid on the demolition of the referenced buildings as is, including
the contents of each building. Contractor shall submit their bid on the enclosed Bid Schedule
sheet provided by the Village.
16. Contractor shall use caution as to maintain the integrity of the adjoining structures during the
demolition process. Those structures are identified as 123 N. Broadway Street and 133 N.
Broadway Street. Any damage sustained to either of those two (2) structures, as a direct result
of the demolition, shall be repaired by the Contractor at the Contractor’s expense.
17. Contractor shall be prudent during the demolition process and shall perform the work in a
reasonable and workmanlike manner.
18. Contractor shall demolish the buildings and dispose of the demolition debris in accordance
with all applicable local, county and State laws.
19. Contractor shall be responsible for the removal of all building footers and/or foundations.
20. Upon completion of the demolition process, Contractor shall provide granular backfill, level
and bring to grade. Granular backfill shall be #57 stone or approved equivalent. Grade shall
be established as the height of the sidewalk on the east side of the structures and the height of
the pavement on the west side of the structures.
21. Any change in the scope of the project shall be presented to the Village’s representative, Sean
Chapman, and no additional work shall be completed without written approval from the
22. Contractor shall commence work immediately when conditions are suitable to start and shall
complete the entire project within sixty (60) calendar days of commencement of the project
and no later than December 31, 2008. For every calendar day after the sixty (60) day deadline
that the project is not complete, the Village reserves the right to deduct One-Hundred Dollars
($100.00) from the original contract price.
23. Contractor shall be aware of the Village’s Income Tax policy and all provisions of this law
prior to work commencement.