Employee of the Month Award Procedures
The purpose of the Employee of the Month (EOM) Award is to recognize outstanding accomplishments
and/or service by classified staff employees of Casper College.
Employee of the Month Selection Committee
The EOM Selection Committee Chair, the Chair of the Staff Alliance and the previous six (6) winners
oversee the EOM selection/notification process.
All benefited, non‐probationary, classified staff employees (with the exception of the Staff Alliance
Chair and the EOM Selection Committee Chair) who work a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week
are eligible for the award. Previous recipients will be eligible for nomination after three (3) years of
Benefits of receiving award
• A certificate for a day off with pay to be taken within one (1) year
• A certificate for 50% off one item at the Casper College Bookstore
• An Employee of the Month Recognition Certificate.
• In addition to formal documentation up to four letters of support submitted along with the
nomination form will also be placed in the employee’s personnel file.
• Award notification printed in various media
• Nomination forms are to be sent to all employees by the EOM Selection Committee Chair by the
first week of November and second week of April each year. A cover letter of explanation written
by the EOM Selection Committee Chair notifying employees of the nomination process and
procedures will accompany the forms.
• Forms must be properly filled out and submitted by the stated deadline to the EOM Selection
Committee Chair or they will not be accepted.
• Three (3) weeks will be allowed for receipt of nominations.
• The nominee’s accomplishments or service should be specific and/or unique and should occur in
the course of performance of the employee’s regular duties or in the course of participation in any
college‐sponsored event. Nominations and additional support documentation will be accepted
from supervisors, co‐workers, students, or anyone who has regular contact with the nominee. A
maximum of four (4) letters of support and/or supporting documentation will be allowed for each
nomination. Supervisory approval is encouraged but is not a requirement.
• Nominations will not be accepted from the previous six (6) winners due to their involvement in the
EOM selection process. If a nomination is received from one of the six (6) previous winners it will
be returned to them and a suggestion will be made to nominate their candidate during the next
Updated March 2009
• The EOM Selection Committee Chair notifies the Director of Human Resources and the Staff
Alliance Chair of award nominees.
• Personnel files will be checked by the Director of Human Resources to assure that no current
formal documentation exists in the file that could disqualify the recipient; for example, letters of
reprimand or formal warnings.
• Human Resources will notify the EOM Selection Committee Chair of eligibility and address any
questions regarding ineligibility. An ineligible nominee will be withdrawn from the EOM process.
• EOM Selection Committee Chair is responsible for consolidating the award nomination information,
tabulating the scores and getting the information to the selection committee members for review.
Tabulation forms will accompany the nomination forms. Documentation will be sent in the
nomination packets explaining the selection process.
• The task of selecting the next six (6) EOM Award recipients is the duty of the previous six (6)
winners. If a previous winner is no longer an employee of Casper College, their name will be
eliminated from the selection committee. The minimum number of selection committee members
will be four (4). If the number of previous winners serving on the selection committee drops below
four, a Staff Alliance Executive Committee member(s) will be appointed by the chair of the Staff
Alliance to serve as a selection committee member(s) to bring the total number of committee
members to four (4).
• All nomination forms and supporting documents must be reviewed and rated by each member of
the selection committee. Confidentiality will be stressed.
• Ten (10) days will be given to the EOM Selection Committee to review and rate the nomination
forms and supporting documentation. The EOM Selection Committee determines points awarded
in the areas of support documentation and worthiness. They must review the documentation for
each nominee and award the points accordingly. A selection committee member’s packet may be
disqualified if not received by the deadline.
• The EOM Selection Committee Chair and the Staff Alliance Chair will evaluate documentation,
supervisor input and packet content and award points in these three (3) categories for each
• Final selection of the recipients is calculated by the EOM Selection Committee Chair by tabulating
and recording the number of points for each nominee.
• The six (6) highest point recipients are selected along with two alternates.
• The top six (6) names will be drawn at random by the EOM Selection Committee Chair to determine
the order in which awards are given. Alternates are listed in order by point accumulation.
Alternates are chosen to fill any vacancies created by an unannounced winner disqualification or
the employee’s termination of employment at Casper College.
• Nominees who are not selected will automatically be reconsidered for one (1) additional award
Updated March 2009
• The EOM Selection Committee Chair will prepare a media release to send to all campus employees
announcing the EOM winner each month.
• A media release and certificates are prepared and sent to the Executive Assistant to the Casper
College President who makes arrangements for a personal presentation of the award by the
• The President’s Executive Assistant will prepare and mail to the recipient an award letter
accompanied by a photo/information release form.
• A copy of the notification letter will also be sent to the Human Resource office for placement in the
recipient’s personnel file.
Records of the EOM nominations and awards will be kept by the EOM Committee for a period of three
(3) years to coincide with the three (3) years of ineligibility of previous award winners.
All procedures are subject to annual review by the Casper College Staff Alliance Executive Committee.
Selection Committee Scoring Information
The purpose of the EOM award is to recognize outstanding accomplishments and/or service by
classified staff employees of Casper College. Nominees should be commendable and serve as an
example to others. Qualities of previous winners include:
• Active participation in college sponsored events
• Going the extra mile in their work position
• Displaying a positive attitude
• Volunteering when a need arises
Updated March 2009
Nomination Packet Scoring by Selection Committee
Examine the nominations carefully. Notice who portrays some of the character traits listed above.
Personal feelings regarding individuals should be set aside. Please remember to score solely on the
basis of the material presented within the nominee’s packet. If you will be scoring someone that you
nominated, please continue to score equitably. Confidentiality is a must!
Nominees can be awarded a total of 100 possible points. These points are collected from three (3)
The six (6) previous winners are responsible for scoring up to forty (40) points in the following areas.
Category Qualities within category Score
Resourceful ideas Problem solving
Accuracy Maintains proper procedures
QUALITY OF WORK 1-10
Attention to detail
SKILLS & Follow-through Flexibility
CUSTOMER Communicates well Tactful
SERVICE Cooperative General Spirit
The EOM Selection Committee Chair and the Staff Alliance Chair are responsible for scoring up to
twenty (20) points in the following areas.
Category Description Score
DOCUMENTATION Award 2 points per document. Max 10 points. 2-10
SUPERVISOR INPUT Award 5 points for supervisor input 0 or 5
PACKET CONTENT Award 1-5 points for packet content 1-5
Up to forty (40) points can be awarded in the following categories from the initial nomination form.
Category Score Category Score
Quality of Work 1-5 Problem Solving 1-5
Quantity of Work 1-5 Dependability 1-5
Adaptability 1-5 Helpfulness to Others 1-5
Initiative 1-5 Attitude/Image 1-5
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call a member of the EOM Selection Committee
Chair or contact the Staff Alliance Chair. If you would like to comment on anything that would improve
or simplify the nomination or selection process, please feel free to do so.
Updated March 2009