Sample letter to community groups
and service clubs
The following can be personalized for individual community groups and service clubs on your district
letterhead. Localize by adding information about your school board members, details of how they will
be honored during January and examples of ways your board has improved education for the students
in your district.
I am excited to report that January 2006 is School Board Recognition Month, and we are planning a
number of activities to honor our (number) school board members. Would (name of group) be
interested in in joining us?
A couple of events we are planning are: ___________________________________________
If you are interested, I have some suggestions for things you might do to honor the board of
education. You might:
• Sponsor a public service announcement;
• Invite board members to your January meeting to recognize them;
• Feature the board in your January newsletter;
• Sponsor a newspaper advertisement thanking the board for its dedication and service;
• Host a fun event for board members and their families;
• Sponsor an appreciation banner to be hung across a major street or highway;
• Sponsor signs to be distributed to members to display outside their businesses or homes;
• Send each board member a certificate for a free cup of special coffee from a local, popular coffee
shop. Accompany it with a note that says, “You deserve a break!”
Please call me at ( ) - . We can discuss this idea further.
Thank you so very much for your support in this much-deserved recognition of our board.
Kansas Association of School Boards
1420 SW Arrowhead Rd., Topeka, KS 66604
785-273-3600 ? fax 785-273-7580