Student Guide to Italy 01 - DOC

Document Sample
Student Guide to Italy 01 - DOC Powered By Docstoc


Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained in our Country Guides is accurate
at the time of going to press, but The University of Manchester can take no responsibility for any errors
or omissions. Views, where expressed, are those of the contributors, and are not necessarily those of
the University.

Please send any comments or suggestions to:

Helen McHugh
Erasmus Coordinator
Study Abroad Unit
International Development
The University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL


2008, The University of Manchester.
Adapted and updated from the original guide published by the University of Sussex

Supported by the Commission of the European
Communities within the framework of the
Lifelong Learning Erasmus Programme

Introduction ..............................................................................................................................................3

Accommodation in Manchester……………………………………………………………………….………..3
Getting There.... ........................................................................................................................................4
        Useful UK Travel Websites ...........................................................................................................6

Your Passport ...........................................................................................................................................6

Immigration ...............................................................................................................................................6

Insurance ..................................................................................................................................................7

Voting ........................................................................................................................................................9

Money Matters ..........................................................................................................................................9
      Grants and Loans .........................................................................................................................9
      Benefits entitlements ....................................................................................................................15
      Making the most of your money whilst abroad .............................................................................16

Health and Wellbeing .................................................................................................................16

Upon Arrival Abroad ................................................................................................................................21
       Adjusting to Life Abroad................................................................................................................21
       Police Registration ........................................................................................................................21
       Finding Somewhere to Stay ..........................................................................................................21
       Private Accommodation ................................................................................................................22
The Italian University System..................................................................................................................23
         Student Services...........................................................................................................................26
         Libraries ........................................................................................................................................26
Paying Your Way ......................................................................................................................................27
       Italian Banks .................................................................................................................................27
       Employment ..................................................................................................................................28

Travel within Italy .....................................................................................................................................30

Post and Telephones ...............................................................................................................................31

Safety and Welfare ...................................................................................................................................32

Useful Contact Details and Websites .....................................................................................................35

Checklist ...................................................................................................................................................40

Appendices ...............................................................................................................................................42
      Certificate of Attendance ..............................................................................................................42
      Erasmus Student Contract............................................................................................................43


A period of study abroad is probably one of the most challenging and exciting opportunities that a
student undertakes during their university life. It is also one of the most demanding. This guide aims
to take the stress out of the practical planning before you go and to offer some helpful guidelines on
how to survive when you get there. Although it does not contain specific information about the
particular university or region in which you will be living, it provides you with much of the essential
information you will need to live while you are away. While the information contained in this booklet is
applicable to students from a UK institute of higher education, much of it will be of use to students in
general. Also, whilst some of the information may apply to everyone, the rest will vary according to
individual circumstances. Bureaucracy is probably the worst obstacle to overcome - it is important to
note that the way in which the system works varies to a certain extent at a regional level, and what is
true for one part of your host country is not necessarily true for another. However, this booklet
contains a great deal of information which cannot be found in any of the official guides, and will
hopefully prove very useful.

This guide is not designed to be all-encompassing and recommended additional reading includes the
Let’s Go Guide, Lonely Planet Guide or Rough Guide (prices range from £11 - £18). Cheaper second
hand copies can be picked up from Amazon amongst other outlets. The ISIC handbook also provides
useful information on travelling in Europe.

                                   Accommodation in Manchester

If you are only going abroad for one semester you will need to consider what will happen to your room
in Manchester for the other semester. Can you afford to pay rent for the full year when you‟ll only be
there for half the year? You may wish to either look for a room for one semester only, or take a full
year lease and then advertise your room. If you wish to do the latter you will need to first discuss this
with your housemates and landlord in case they have any objections.

A useful site to both look for and advertise a room is the Manchester Student Homes website They have a special message board section devoted to shorter-
term rentals.

If you wish to advertise your room to incoming Erasmus (European) exchange students, you should
first discuss this with your housemates in case they have any objections. Since Erasmus students are
not guaranteed a room at Manchester, they will often be looking for short-term private
accommodation. If you decide to advertise your room through the Study Abroad Unit (SAU), please
forward the details of your room to the Study Abroad Assistant – Miss Zaba Ihsan so that she can pass the details on to any interested students.

Please note that the deadlines for Erasmus incomers to apply to Manchester are:
31 May 2008 for semester 1 incomers
15 October 2008 for semester 2 incomers

We will therefore only have a limited number of incoming students‟ details on our database prior to
those dates.

Writing a housing advert
Remember that students from Europe will not know what „Sainsburys‟ is, or where „Fallowfield‟ or
„‟Withington‟ is in relation to the university, so please make this explicit in your advert. Is your house
near a bus stop / shops / bars / internet café etc? How long will it take a student to get into the
university walking / on the bus?
Also be sure to mention exactly who they‟d be sharing with (male/female, smokers etc). It‟s also
helpful to mention if any of your flatmates speak any foreign languages themselves, as a French
student may feel happier sharing with someone else who can speak their native tongue.
If you have any photos of either the interior or exterior of your house, then feel free to include those in
your advert, as it will help „sell‟ your room more effectively.

Arranging a contract
You will need to speak to your landlord re: payment arrangements, to see whether he is happy to
change the name on the housing contract for the second semester and receive payment directly from
the foreign student, or whether the landlord wants you to be responsible for collecting payment from
the foreign student, in which case it would be a good idea to have the foreign student sign a written
agreement with you. You can buy standard rental contracts from places like WHSmith, or seek advice
in the Student Union, to ensure that you are legally covered should the foreign student cause any
damage to the house / leave unpaid bills etc. The Student Union is open for advice from Monday to
Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm, term-time and vacation. No appointment is needed - just call in. If you do
want to make an appointment you can by telephoning 0161 275 2947.

University of Manchester Accommodation
If you wish to apply for University of Manchester accommodation (for one semester) you should note
that allocation of accommodation is not guaranteed for UK students. You should therefore be
prepared to make other arrangements in case they are not successful.
The application form and further details can be found on the Accommodation Office website:
You should note though that it is now very unlikely you will be successful in securing a room at this late

Students wanting a room for their final year at Manchester
If you wish to apply for accommodation in a Manchester hall of residence for your final/third year, you
will need to submit an online application form before mid-Feb 2009 (keep checking the website for
publication of the exact deadline). You will be notified if you have been successfully allocated a room
in March 2009.

                                           Getting There....

The method of travel to and from your host destination will obviously depend on where you are going.
You may wish to take a train or coach if the distance is relatively small but the majority of students
prefer to fly out, especially at the beginning of the year because it is easier. A disadvantage with flying
is that you are limited as to the amount of baggage you can take with you – check your airline to find
out what the weight limit is for hand and hold luggage. Be warned that charges for excess baggage
are very high!

ISIC card
It is worth investing in an International Student Identity Card (£9), which is internationally recognised,
to guarantee you cheap fares wherever you are. With an ISIC card you can purchase discounted
flights and train tickets from STA Travel, as well as obtaining discounts across Europe and 70%
discounted international calls.

You can buy the card from STA Travel. There are two branches of STA in Manchester- Student Union
Building, Manchester Academy, 14a Oxford Road and 86, Cross Street in the city centre.
See: for more information.

For more information, including specific details of what discounts you can obtain in each country/city
abroad, please see the ISIC website at:

By Air - Budget Airlines
There are an increasing number of budget airlines offering cheap flights to Europe. To get the
cheapest deals you‟ll generally need to fly mid-week (Tues – Thurs) and book well in advance. The
disadvantage with budget airlines is that they are not as flexible and may have greater restrictions on
how much baggage you can take with you. They also sometimes fly to smaller airports further away
from the city centre - necessitating a long journey by bus or taxi once you arrive.

Budget airlines you may wish to investigate include:
Air Berlin     (to Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
BMI Baby      
Jet 2         
Ryan Air      
Thompson Fly  
German Wings  
Hapag Lloyd Express

By Air - Standard Airlines
The advantage of taking a standard airline rather than a budget airline is that tickets are changeable
and refundable (usually subject to an administration fee). Also the luggage limits tend to be slightly
higher than for the budget companies.
STA Travel offers a student discount on airfares if you have an ISIC card (see above).

By Coach
Eurolines (who are part of National Express Coaches) run coaches from Victoria coach station to over
250 destinations in Europe. Under 26s can get discounted tickets but even the full fare is relatively
inexpensive. There are Eurolines agents in most large towns and you may find this a cheap way of
travelling home after your initial journey. Reservations can also be made through any National
Express office. Delta Travel in the University Precinct on Oxford Road is the nearest National Express
agent. Tel: (0161) 274 4444
Eurolines open-dated return tickets are valid for up to six months. Luggage is limited to two medium
sized suitcases per person, plus one piece of hand luggage on all services. Tickets can be cancelled
or altered for an administration fee.

By Train
Euro Railways specialise in youth rail travel in Europe and have discounts for those under 26. Prices
include channel crossing by ferry, with the return journey valid for 2 months and the added option of
breaking the journey and stopping off anywhere en route. Ticket prices are usually cheaper than flying
but considerably higher than for travelling by coach.
If you have a long journey then it is usually better to book a couchette or sleeping compartment. These
are not very expensive and you are guaranteed greater comfort. Ask the travel agent to book one for
you when you buy your ticket. Please note STA Travel offer Eurostar only. Delta Travel does issue
train tickets.

                                       Useful UK Travel Websites

Useful websites
Delta Travel   
Euro Railways  
Flight Centre  
National Express
STA Travel     

For information on any airline, simply type: www.airline

                                             Your Passport

In order to travel overseas, you will of course need a valid passport from the country of your nationality.
You may already have a passport and be used to using it, however for UK students who are not yet
passport holders, it is important that you note some recent changes to the process involved in obtaining a

In addition to completing the relevant application forms and producing the necessary documentation, if
you are applying for your first full adult UK passport, you will be required to attend a mandatory interview
at the Passport Office as part of the application process.

If you already have a child passport and need to change it to a full adult passport, you won‟t need to
attend an interview.
You can get more details about the new procedures from the Passport & Identity Service website at:


If you are not a British citizen or a citizen of one of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries, you
may need a visa before you travel to Europe – you should check with the Embassy / Consulate if a
visa is required.

Italian Embassy's Visa Section Tel:           (020)   7823 6519 /            Fax: 020 7823 4449 or

In the past students have required the following documents for a permit to study in Italy but please
check the web for up to date information:
 Passport with a minimum validity of five months
 Application form, completed and signed
 Passport photographs
 UK resident's permit
 Letter of reference from the home institution
 Proof of financial means
 Letter stating confirmation of acceptance and the exact period of the course specifying dates as
    well as proof that you have paid course fees.

If you do need a visa, we recommend that you apply for one at least 3 months before departure.

In addition, if you are not an Erasmus student but wish to attend lectures at an Italian university you
must also get in contact with the Italian Consulate in your home country and obtain a Consular
declaration. This is necessary in order for you to enrol at an Italian university and thereby get a
permesso di soggiorno as a student. The Consular declaration should be sent to your destination
university, as without it you may find it impossible to get registered.


The University‟s Student Travel insurance provides cover for University of Manchester students
undertaking study or work placements abroad as part of their course.
Cover is automatic except that students going abroad for more than one year, or who are aged 75 or
over, must obtain prior clearance from the Insurance Office.
The travel cover is worldwide – there are no geographical limits.
Note - The University‟s Student Travel insurance includes cover for travel to potentially dangerous
parts of the world and also covers hazardous activities. This should not be taken to mean that the
University condones the taking of unnecessary risks. You should ensure that you have an up-to-date
assessment of any health and safety risks that your trip may expose you to.
The insurance policy provides free emergency assistance and advice, together with insurance cover
for emergency medical and repatriation expenses, search and rescue expenses, loss of personal
belongings and money, cancellation and curtailment costs, personal liability, legal expenses and
emergency evacuation expenses.
The medical expenses cover included in the policy is not full health insurance - it only covers
emergency treatment and associated expenses. Routine, preventative or other elective treatments
are not covered. If you are travelling to your normal country of domicile medical cover may be limited
– please contact the Insurance Office for details.
Pre-existing medical conditions are only covered if travel is being undertaken in line with medical
advice. Treatment relating to normal pregnancy and childbirth is not covered, although emergency
treatment relating to pregnancy or childbirth is covered.
If you have any doubts about your fitness to travel, you are advised to obtain written confirmation from
your doctor or from the University‟s Occupational Health Service.
Recreational activities
Cover extends to holiday and recreational activities undertaken in conjunction with the trip, provided
the time spent in these activities does not exceed half of the total period of absence. This includes
holidays taken during the outward or return journeys extending up to two weeks either side of the study
or work placement period, provided you do not return home between the holiday and the period of
study or work placement.
Emergency Contact Details – ACE Assistance
Details of Emergency Assistance arrangements are given below. You are advised to have the
emergency contact details with you at all times.

          ACE Student Travel Insurance Policy Number 55UK475527

          Emergency Assistance

          In the event of difficulties contact ACE Assistance:

                  +44 20 7173 7796         (for calls from outside the United Kingdom)
                   020 7173 7796           (for calls from within the United Kingdom)

Insurance Office Contact Details

        John Owens Building - Room MLG.006
        The University of Manchester,
        Oxford Road,
        M13 9PL
        tel:     0161-275 2243
        fax:     0161-275 2961

In the event of an incident occurring on your trip, you should contact the ACE Assistance emergency
contact number (details above) in the first instance.

Full details of this policy will be e-mailed to you prior to your pre-departure briefing.

Medical Insurance
You should have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which entitles you to the same
emergency medical care for illness or accidents as nationals of that country. This means that if local
people have to pay for hospital stays and obtain a refund later, or cover the cost of ambulance travel,
so will you. This will almost certainly be required by the host institution for study students.
The EHIC has replaced the old E111. From 1 January 2006, E111s became invalid.

If you are ordinarily resident in the UK but are studying in another EEA country or Switzerland as part
of a UK degree programme, you‟ll need an EHIC for yourself and any dependants who go with you.
To apply for your EHIC you‟ll need to have your National Insurance number handy.

You can apply in three different ways:

online (this is the quickest method- your card will be delivered within 7 days- go to
by phone (call 0845 606 2030. When your application is completed, your card will be delivered within
10 days)
or by post (pick up the EHIC form and pre-addressed envelope from the Post Office. Your card will be
delivered within 21 days).

You will only be entitled to use an EHIC in Switzerland if you are an EU national.
The EHIC entitles you to emergency medical treatment on the same terms as nationals of your host
country. It should be used ahead of your University of Manchester insurance policy wherever possible.
The EHIC will not cover you for medical repatriation, on-going medical treatment or treatment of a
non-urgent nature. You should be aware that the EHIC card does not cover 100% of the medical
costs that would be covered by the NHS in the UK, you may still have to pay a contribution to the cost
of GP visits, dental treatment etc.


British citizens living abroad who have been registered to vote in the UK at any time within the past 15
years can register as an overseas voter.

Registered overseas voters are eligible to vote in UK General Elections and European Parliamentary
elections, but not UK local government elections or elections for the devolved assemblies.
To register to vote from overseas:
               download an overseas registration form


               sign the declaration and ask another British citizen living overseas (but not a close
                relative) to sign the witness declaration.

               return a completed form as soon as possible to the nearest electoral registration
Once you are registered, you can choose to vote in person at your local polling station if you are in the
UK on election day. If not, you can apply to vote by post or by proxy.

                                           Money Matters

You are responsible for funding your time abroad and you should take the time to research the costs
carefully, and calculate a budget for your stay. 60% of Manchester Erasmus students in 2006-07
reported that they spent more money abroad compared to their average expenditure in Manchester
(typically 100 – 200 euros extra per month).

                               Grants and Loans for the Year Abroad

If you are a UK national studying in another country for 8 or more weeks as part of your degree, you
are eligible for a higher rate of student loan. However for students working abroad on either paid or
unpaid placement this can result in students receiving a lower loan rate. For more information on how
your time abroad affects your loan entitlement, contact your Local Authority. The Student Loans
Company is responsible for paying the loan to individual students. The Student Services Centre of the
University administers Student Loans.

Informing your Local Authority (LA)
It is possible that your Local Authority may provide extra financial assistance for your period abroad.
This varies from LA to LA and you should not rely on additional LA funding. However, you should
ensure you keep all receipts for travel (flights & connections to/from airports) and insurance (travel and
health) in case your LA does agree to reimburse you for these. These LA Travel Grants are means-
tested and only cover reasonable travel costs in excess of £285.

In late May – early June the Study Abroad Unit will send a list of your names and the details of your
placement abroad to the Student Funding Officer, Melissa Ormrod, in the Student Services Centre.
Melissa will then automatically mail a letter to your LA informing them that you will be studying or
working abroad in the coming academic year.

Please note however that it is your responsibility to inform your LA in writing that you are
going abroad and to let them know your term/placement dates. Please note that these dates can
sometimes be difficult to obtain, as many European universities will not have one standard start date,

dates can vary from faculty to faculty, or even degree course to degree course. Students on Work
Placements should ensure they finalise their contracted dates in good time in order to pass these onto
your LA.

It is also vital that you complete the Student Loan form correctly and promptly. If you submit
your Student Loan form after the deadline, or fail to indicate on the form that you‟ll be abroad next
year, your loan payment will be delayed. Please note that the Student Loan Company will not chase
you if the paperwork isn‟t correct- you just won‟t receive the money!

Once the LA has been informed by both the University and yourself that you will be studying abroad,
and you have completed and returned your financial form to them, they will send you details of your
entitlements and the level of your loan or grant. The LA will ask for details of your bank or building
society account. You are responsible for making appropriate arrangements for transferring money

If your LA have any questions / have any forms they need Manchester to fill in, these should go directly
to Melissa Ormrod and NOT the Study Abroad Unit.

Melissa Ormrod                   Tel:   +44 (0) 161 275 2084
Student Funding Officer          Email:
Student Services Centre

                                           Erasmus Grant

Erasmus Grant
This grant is from the European Commission and is paid to EU nationals and those with refugee status
or indefinite leave to remain only. Students are able to receive one Erasmus grant for a study
placement and one Erasmus grant for a work placement during their higher education career. There
are exceptions to this e.g. a languages student has two work placements over the course of their year
abroad. Both are eligible for funding. Students who have already received one Erasmus grant e.g. as
an undergraduate, cannot receive a second grant. The only exception is for those students who are
on an Erasmus Mundus Masters course.

The amount of grant varies according to the country and number of months spent abroad. To
compensate for the access to subsidised accommodation and discounts available to study students,
work placement students receive a slightly higher rate of grant funding. As a guide, you should budget
for receiving between £150 - £200 per month that you are abroad.

Additional funding is also available for students who are registered disabled in order to help meet any
extra support needs you may have, so please be sure to notify us if you have any such disability or
medical condition.

The Study Abroad Unit are responsible for making the grant payments to the bank account of your
choosing. The grant will be paid in two instalments usually by the end of October and April for
Semester 1 and full year students, and in two instalments usually by the end of January and April for
Semester 2 only students. The grant payment dates are largely out of the hands of the Study Abroad
Unit, we must wait to receive the funds into our account from the British Council. The Study Abroad
Unit commits to pay funds within a maximum of 45 days of receiving the cleared funds into our
account. It is for this reason we cannot give specific payment dates .

To receive Erasmus funding, you are obliged to complete the paperwork detailed below. Please note
that payments will be withheld from students or students will be asked to re-pay any grant funds if the
paperwork is not complete.

Paperwork required for Erasmus Grant
Use the following grid to keep track of the paperwork you need to return in order to be eligible for your
grant payments.

Study Abroad Students

Document name        When should           Who is               Where should          Checklist (tick off
                     document be           responsible for      document be           when you have
                     completed?            completing the       sent?                 completed)
Erasmus Student      Before the start of   Student              Study Abroad Unit
Mobility             your study period
ECTS learning        Before the start of   Student in           Host university
agreement            your study period     consultation with    together with
                                           Erasmus              application to
                                           coordinator in       study
                                           your School at
                                           Manchester           Copy to Erasmus
                                                                coordinator in
                                                                your School at
Certificate of       upon completion       Student to obtain    Study Abroad Unit
Attendance           of placement          from host
ECTS transcript      upon completion       Student to obtain    Erasmus
                     of placement          from host            coordinator in
                                           institution.         your School at
Student Report       upon completion       Student              Study Abroad Unit
                     of placement

Work Placement students

Document name        When should           Who is               Where should          Checklist (tick off
                     document be           responsible for      document be           when you have
                     completed?            completing the       sent?                 completed)
Erasmus Student      Before the start of   Student              Study Abroad Unit
Mobility             your placement
Training             Before the start of   Student in           The student, the
agreement            your placement        consultation with    employer and the
                                           Erasmus              Erasmus
                                           coordinator in       coordinator in
                                           your School at       your School at
                                           Manchester and       Manchester
                                           your employer        should all retain a
                                                                copy of the
Certificate of       upon completion       Student to ask       Study Abroad Unit
Attendance           of placement          employer to either
                                           complete form
                                          provided by the
                                          Study Abroad Unit
                                          or to provide a
                                          letter confirming
                                          the dates worked.
Student Report        upon completion     Student              Study Abroad Unit
                      of placement

                                    Language Training Funding

There are two types of language courses which Erasmus students may choose to take either prior to
starting their studies at their host or during their placement:

    1.       Erasmus Intensive Language Courses (EILCs)

EILCs are specifically for Erasmus students to study the language of the host country before starting

their Erasmus study period or work placement. Some of the advantages of these courses are:

        Courses vary in length, the maximum duration is 6 weeks with a minimum of 60 teaching hours
        An Erasmus grant for the duration of the course
        Special cultural components within the programme
        Visits to places of interest
        You may receive an Erasmus grant for the duration of your course

In 2008-09 EILCs take place in the following 23 countries: Belgium (Flemish Community), Bulgaria,
Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia,
Lithuania, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden
and Turkey.

General information, course information and application forms for EILCs appear on the European
Commission's EILC web site:

Students wishing to apply for an EILC must email their completed application form to Erasmus
Coordinator, Helen Mchugh before the official deadline.
       For courses starting in 2008: 31 May 2008
       For courses starting in 2009: 31 October 2008

    2. Additional language tuition fees

Additional language tuition fee refunds are available from the Study Abroad Unit, EXCEPT for students
whose degree subject is French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish or for students studying a
joint languages degree which includes one of these languages. Grants are available on a first come
first served basis in both semesters. Students are required to pay the fees directly to the provider
and will be reimbursed by the Study Abroad Unit upon receipt of your certificate of attendance and
your tuition fee receipt.

Eligible students may like to research the courses being run either by your host institution, a private
language school or another university within the host country. These courses could take place prior to
your semester/placement or during your course. We will be able to refund you up to a maximum of
£250 for your tuition fees. If you choose a course which exceeds £250 you will need to meet the
additional costs yourself. Language courses taken here in Manchester prior to your departure are also
eligible for fee refunds. If a student withdraws from the Erasmus programme after commencing a
Study Abroad Unit-funded language course that funding will no longer be available except where
exceptional circumstances force a students withdrawal from Erasmus.

Please note that the following conditions apply:
     You need to email the Study Abroad Unit the details of the course (cost, start & finish dates,
        name of provider and brief summary of course) prior to going abroad and/or prior to
        registration for the course, so that we can budget for your expenditure
     We cannot cover any accommodation or living costs for your period of language training- this
        will be your responsibility. However you may receive an Erasmus grant for the duration of the
        course if it takes place in your host country immediately PRIOR to the start of your semester.
     All supporting evidence must be submitted before the deadline (January 1 for Semester 1
        outgoers, June 30 for Semester 2 outgoers). No reimbursements will be made without the
        Certificate of Attendance and the tuition payment receipt.

For further information on the Erasmus grant and funding for language training contact:
Study Abroad Unit
Helen McHugh – Erasmus Coordinator
Phone:                   +44 (0) 161 275 4979
Fax:                     +44 (0) 161 275 2058

                                           Financial Advice

The University has a dedicated Student Money Doctor, based in the Student Support Centre, who can
offer advice on money-related issues, from working out a realistic budget, to advice on money
problems. The Money Doctors website also has some useful budgeting tools.

The Money Advisor provides drop in sessions, and appointments for you to discuss your money-
related issues. See the website above for further details.

Tel:                     +44 (0) 161 275 8537

                                      Access to Learning Fund

Each year, the Government gives The University of Manchester money for the Access to Learning
Fund (ALF). This is to enable the University to help students who may face serious financial problems
during their course. If you qualify for a payment from the Fund, it will not have to be repaid. The Fund
is administered by the Student Services Centre in accordance with guidelines issued by the Higher
Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).

For further details and to download the application form go to:

Students going abroad for the session 2008/09 will need to register using the University of
                                    st   th
Manchester’s online system between 1 – 30 September.
                                                                                 st        th
You will need to log onto the University‟s on-line registration system between 1 and 30 September in
order to complete the registration process for the 2008/09 session. There are ten steps to the
registration process on-line, please complete all ten (the last step is financial registration). You must
add your overseas address details as soon as these are available and update them during the year if
you move.
If you are paying your own fees and did so last year, you will need to supply your bank details again so
that your tuition fee instalment payments can be taken. Once payment has been verified or
processed, you will be a fully registered student at Manchester for the 2008-09 academic year. Please
note that all students must complete all ten steps of the on-line registration wizard regardless of
whether they are due to pay fees or not.
If you have problems registering online, or do not have internet access, you will need to call the
                                                                                         st      th
Registration Helpline (0161 275 2350) in order to register over the telephone (open 1 – 30
Please note that failure to complete registration by the end of September will mean that you are
not a registered student of The University of Manchester and a £50.00 late registration charge
will be added to your account.

For further advice and assistance contact:         Student Services Centre
Email:                                   *
Registration Helpline:                            +44 (0) 161 275 2350

* NB Because Student Services Centre staff will be located in the Whitworth Hall at Manchester for
much of the registration period, they will not be able to check their email accounts as frequently as
normal, and so response times are likely to be delayed. If possible, please ring up rather than sending
an email. “

                                              Tuition Fees

Why do I still need to pay tuition fees to Manchester if I‟m going to be abroad?
Although you might be abroad for some or indeed all of the academic year, you will remain registered
as a Manchester student throughout your period abroad. This means that your School and the Study
Abroad Unit will still be in touch with you throughout your time abroad, and will still be working with you
to ensure that your period abroad runs smoothly and is a successful and enjoyable experience. It also
means your time abroad will be recognised as part of your Manchester degree programme, which in
turn means you will be eligible for a student loan (as long as you meet all the other criteria of the
Student Loans Company). If you were not a registered student during your time abroad you would not
be entitled to any of these benefits.

It is also important to understand the nature of exchanges – you are being taught „for free‟ at the
partner institution because you do not have to pay any tuition fees to them but this is not because they
are so generous that they just let you come and study with them for free! The tuition fees you pay at
Manchester will be used to teach the foreign exchange student who comes to Manchester in your
place. Likewise, the foreign student has paid the tuition fees for you at the university in Italy (or
appropriate government funding has been received) so that you don‟t need to. All UK exchange
agreements are managed in this same way. There is not an option to pay your tuition fees to the host
institution instead of Manchester.

The only students exempt from paying any tuition fees at all for their period abroad are EU nationals
who go on an Erasmus exchange for a full academic year. In this case, the Department for
Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS) covers the cost of your tuition fees to Manchester because
they want to encourage more students in the UK to participate in the Erasmus scheme. The DIUS do
not offer any such payment if you are only going on Erasmus for one semester, or if you are going on
a Worldwide Exchange rather than an Erasmus exchange.

Home/EU Students (not under the Erasmus scheme)

Home/EU students both studying and working abroad for a full academic year as part of their
programme of study are required to pay 50% of the assessed contribution of up to the value of the
appropriate full time home undergraduate fee based on their year of entry (unless DIUS regulations

Home/EU students both studying and working abroad for a semester/part of the academic year as part
of their programme of study (but spending 10 weeks or more at the University of Manchester) are
required to pay the full assessed contribution of up to the value of the appropriate full time home
undergraduate fee based on their year of entry (unless DIUS regulations change).

Erasmus Scheme (Home/EU Students)

Full Year Abroad: Students who spend a full academic year abroad under the Erasmus Scheme are
not required to pay tuition fees to the University of Manchester for that year (unless DIUS regulations
and fee compensation arrangements change).

Part Year Abroad: Students who spend a semester/part of their year abroad under the Erasmus
Scheme (but spend 10 weeks or more at the University of Manchester) will pay an assessed
contribution of up to the value of the appropriate full time home undergraduate fee based on their year
of entry (unless DIUS regulations change).

International Students

International Students Studying Abroad or Working who started their programme in 2006/2007 or
earlier are required to pay one third of the appropriate tuition fee due.

International Students Studying Abroad who started their programme in 2007/2008 or later are
required to pay the appropriate tuition fee in full.

International Students Working Abroad who started their programme in 2007/2008 or later are
required to pay 50% of the appropriate tuition fee due.

Further information:     Student Services Centre
Tel:                     +44 (0) 161 275 5000

                                        Benefit Entitlements

UK Benefit Entitlements
If you are receiving any form of benefit then you need to inform the Job Centre / Department of Work
and Pensions that you will be studying abroad for a year, and ask them how this will affect you.
Students with children or dependants
Although there is no extra Erasmus grant for Erasmus students with children or adult dependants you
should consult the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS) web site for details of
additional help available to you:

We also recommend that you speak to the Student Services Centre at the University, as they may be
able to advise you on additional support available.

Further information:    Student Services Centre
Tel:                    +44 (0) 161 275 5000

                                 Making the Most of Your Money

Before you leave the UK it is vital to tell your bank that you will be spending the next academic year
abroad. They will be able to advise you on managing your finances - there are a wide range of
possibilities on offer and it is worthwhile shopping around to find methods that will most suit your
needs and budget.        Your bank may have branches abroad or have links with banks abroad.
Nationwide is currently one of the few banks that do not make a charge for withdrawals or debit card
payments abroad, so you may want to consider opening a Nationwide Flex account before you leave.
Exchange rate variations between the pound and European currency as well as bank and credit card
fees (often surprisingly high) make it all the more essential to manage your money in the most
effective way possible.

Online banking
It‟s a good idea to set up online banking on your current account so that you can more easily keep a
track of your finances whilst abroad. Ask your bank for details. Remember to be aware of so-called
“Phishing” e-mails, do not reply to any e-mails requesting passwords/pin or user numbers or to
validate/verify your account details. Your bank will never ask you to reveal this information.

Third party warranty
If you have a trusted family member or friend who you would be happy to allow control of your bank
account for you whilst you‟re abroad (i.e. be able to write cheques on your behalf etc), then you may
want to think about setting up Third Party Warranty on your account. Speak to your bank to arrange

Traveller's cheques, which can be exchanged for local currency, are a secure way to take large
amounts of money abroad. They are safer than cash because if you lose them, or they are stolen, you
can get replacements quickly and easily - usually within 24 hours. There are two types of traveller‟s
cheques: „sterling‟ and „local currency‟. Sterling traveller‟s cheques are widely accepted in most
European countries. You will usually be charged a small fee when you exchange them for local
currency. With currency traveller‟s cheques the exchange rate is set before you leave the UK;
normally you won‟t have to pay any extra charges when you exchange them for currency, but they do
cost a little more to buy than sterling traveller‟s cheques.

Traveller‟s cheques can either be deposited into a bank account or cashed in a bank or bureau de
change, usually free of charge. You can buy foreign currency traveller's cheques in the UK from any
high street bank or Bureau de Change. Thomas Cook can usually issue them on the spot, along with
larger amounts of foreign currency than banks usually stock. If you have a student bank account you
may find your bank will change money for you and sell you traveller‟s cheques without charging

commission. It is quite likely that you will need large amounts of cash during your first few weeks
abroad and traveller's cheques are safer to carry than a large number of bank notes. Nevertheless,
keep your traveller's cheques safe, only sign them in the presence of a cashier, note the numbers,
keep them in a separate place from the cheques, and report any loss or theft immediately to the police
and to your bank. You will be given an emergency number to ring when you collect your traveller's

International Money Order (IMO): IMOs or “money drafts” are pre-signed drafts available in US
dollars, Sterling, Euros, for any amount up to £10,000. They are useful primarily for sending funds
abroad. The commission charge is approx. £8 - £12. You can pay by cash or cheque and if you order
one through your own bank it can be debited from your account. It is likely that to buy a money order
you will need some form of identification such as a passport, especially if it is for a large sum of
money. The IMO can be cashed, with suitable identification at any bank in the country of the currency.

Bank transfer
Once you have opened an account abroad you can transfer funds between banks. You should ask
your individual bank how much they charge for this service and how many days it will take on average.
To give an example, HSBC offer a World Pay service to its customers whereby you can send money
in local currency to arrive within 6 working days for a fixed charge of £9. For £21 (or £10 if you‟ve an
HSBC account abroad) the Priority Payment scheme will ensure the money arrives within 3 -4 days.

You will need to know the IBAN and/or SWIFT code number of your new account abroad so that
money can be transferred to you.

If you need to have money transferred urgently, or you don‟t have a bank account in the host country,
the Post Office‟s MoneyGram service or Western Union both allow money to be sent instantaneously
without the need for a local bank account. MoneyGram tends to be slightly cheaper than Western
Union, certainly for amounts of £500 or less. Starting charges are £12 - £14 for a transfer of up to
For further details please consult the following websites:

Visa and MasterCard are both world-wide payment schemes. Cards can be used to pay for goods
and services and to withdraw cash wherever the Visa and/or MasterCard logos are displayed. If you
have an existing account with Barclays, Lloyds TSB, or the Royal Bank of Scotland then you will also
have a direct debit Visa card. You can also use a Visa card in most shops and supermarkets,
although some will not accept them for goods under a certain amount (possibly as much as £20).
Banks and Bureaux de Change will change money for you with your Visa card but will charge you an
extra commission; to change money in this way you must present your passport or birth certificate with
the card.

Cirrus and Maestro are both signs usually displayed on any HSBC or NatWest Debit (Switch) Card.
They operate in the same way as a Visa debit card from the above banks but are less popularly
accepted. Cirrus and Maestro allow you to withdraw cash whilst abroad from any machine displaying
the symbols and Maestro also allows you to pay for goods and services in shops and restaurants
displaying the Maestro sign. In the same way that using your Visa debit card abroad incurs a small
charge, the same is true for Cirrus or Maestro users. The charge for each transaction is usually about

General advice: Always read the small print in your Visa or Travellers Cheque information. If in
doubt ask your bank to clarify exactly what charges will be levied.

                                         Health and Well-Being

The healthcare system of your host country may well be very different from what you are used to in the
UK. Britain still remains the only European country with a free National Health Service making it
important to sort out health insurance cover before you leave the UK, providing you with automatically
free medical services while you are away. It is important to realise though that, unlike in this country,
prescriptions will not in general be State-subsidised.

It is wise to make sure you get any prescription medicines you may need for your year abroad from
your UK doctor before you go. Any medication should be carried in one bag in case of delay or theft
and it is important your medication is labelled correctly and is kept in the original packaging. If you are
carrying a large quantity of medication it may be wise to ask you doctor for a note confirming it is for
your own personal use. We recommend you take a note of the generic names of your medication
rather than just the trade names in case you need to explain to a doctor in your host country the
medication you take. It is also well worth investing in the basics: aspirin, plasters, antiseptic cream,
etc. (which are in general much cheaper in this country than abroad).

If you do have an accident it is useful to know your blood group and keep a note of this. You can find
out your blood group either by giving blood or by asking your GP who may have this on your records.
If you suffer from migraines, epilepsy, asthma, sickle cell anaemia, angina, diabetes or haemophilia it
is also advisable to keep a written note with you at all times.

We strongly advise you to visit the dentist and the optician before you leave for your period abroad and
make sure you take information about any prescription you require on a regular basis / glasses
prescription with you.

Occupational Health Service
Depending on your destination it may be useful to pick up an emergency travel pack available from the
Occupational Health Service
Waterloo Place, 182/184 Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9GP Tel: 0161 275 2858. The packs
contain a variety of sterilised and sealed items of equipment. Taking such a pack is highly
recommended if travelling to countries where sanitation is poor and resources are scarce. Emergency
travel packs must remain unopened on departure and should include identification in order to satisfy
Customs officials. The Occupational Health Service also publish the following leaflet aimed at
students travelling abroad as part of their studies.

The Occupational Health Service or your GP/ Practice Nurse should be consulted about appropriate
vaccinations, prophylactic medication like anti-malarial drugs and can provide you with written advice
relevant to your travel area. The following website provides advice country by country on the necessary
health precautions required:

Your Journey
Depending on how far you have to travel to reach your host country you may need to consider the risk of
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). You can reduce the risks by taking a few simple steps:
    If you have concerns vis-à-vis your medical history discuss this with the Occupational Health
       Service or your GP.
    Wear compression stockings (below the knee and correctly fitted)
    Avoid sleeping tablets.
    Exercise legs and calf muscles during the flight.
    Avoid dehydration by drinking lots of water and fluids but try to avoid alcohol.

You may also find yourself affected by jet-lag, a few tips to combat this include:
    Try to adapt as quickly as possible to the new local time e.g. by resting at night even if not tired
      and avoid “naps” as this delays adaptation.
    Be cautious with the use of drugs to induce sleep as these too may prolong adaptation.
    If at all possible avoid driving for at least twenty-four hours after arrival.

Feeling ill upon arrival in your host country isn‟t the ideal start so a few simple precautions can help to
ensure you stay feeling well during your first days abroad (the relevance of this guidance will obviously
depend on your host country):
    Wash hands before handling food and after going to the bathroom
    Check water supply and if appropriate or in doubt use bottled or sterilised water (use this to
        clean teeth).
    Eat only hot, freshly cooked food from appropriate sources, e.g. avoid street vendors.
    Avoid ice cream and ice in drinks.
    Only eat “peelable” fruit.
    Avoid salads which may have been washed in contaminated water.
    Avoid shellfish.
    Avoid unpasteurised milk.

If you are spending time in a hot country, you need to bear in mind over exposure to the sun can make
you extremely ill. Following this advice should hopefully help you avoid any problems:
      Wear a hat with a brim, long loose clothing, sunglasses etc.
      Use an appropriate sun block.
      Avoid the mid-day sun.
      Avoid dehydration by ensuring that you drink copious fluids (non-alcoholic) especially if

Travel and Altitude Sickness
Travellers who arrive at high altitude airports and those who climb mountains above 2400 metres are
at a risk of developing altitude sickness. There is no way of anticipating who will be affected and
neither does one episode predict whether you will be vulnerable on another occasion. It is important to
allow time in your schedule for acclimatisation which allows for the physiological changes required to
cope with the potentially fatal effects of low oxygen at altitude. If you immediately arrive at a high
altitude airport you should try to schedule at least one to two days of rest period before attempting
ascent to a higher level. If walking, plan to climb no more than 400 metres each day. However, this
should be reduced to 150 to 300 metres per day if your total ascent will be more than 4300 metres.
For those visiting multiple destinations, it is important to remember that any physiological changes
gained are lost within one to two days after descending to sea level. Therefore plan your itinerary with
this in mind.

Symptoms and Treatments: Simple headaches can be relieved by using paracetamol tablets.
Acetazolamide 125-250mg twice daily may provide a useful prophylaxis against acute altitude
sickness. Persistent headaches, nausea, vomiting and breathlessness should never be ignored. In
these cases it is advisable to descend 300 metres immediately and rest for at least twenty-four hours
to see if the symptoms subside. If symptoms persist you should continue to descend.

NB Always make sure that you identify the nearest health care facility to your place of
residence and register if appropriate. Don’t wait until you are ill to identify the local health care

The EHIC has replaced the old E111. From 1 January 2006, E111s became invalid.
Although the EHIC covers urgent treatment for accident or unexpected illness, the form does not cover
all medical expenses. Like a local citizen, you will still have to pay some of the costs of treatment, such
as a percentage of the cost of prescriptions. Therefore, you need to take out medical insurance.
If you are ordinarily resident in the UK but are studying in another EEA country or Switzerland as part
of a UK degree programme, you‟ll need an EHIC for yourself and any dependants who go with you.
To apply for your EHIC you‟ll need to have your National Insurance number.

You can apply in three different ways:

online (this is the quickest method- your card will be delivered within 7 days - go to
by phone (call 0845 606 2030. When your application is completed, your card will be delivered within
10 days)
or by post (pick up the EHIC form and pre-addressed envelope from the Post Office. Your card will be
delivered within 21 days).

To obtain medical information go to your local Health Unit, Unità Sanitaria Locale (USL) and hand in
your EHIC card and you will be given a certificate of entitlement. For a yearly fee you can register
through the USL for Assistenza Estera, which entitles you to register with a family doctor and various
reductions for tests etc.

NB: If you do not get a certificate from the USL you will have to pay for treatment and may have
difficulty in getting the refund of only part of the costs. If you are charged in full for any medicine, keep
the price tags as you will not get a refund without them. Ask to see the list of doctors and dentists at
the USL. Take your certificate to any doctor or dentist on the list and you will be treated free of charge
(although you must pay 25% of the cost of a prosthesis). If you are given a prescription, take it to the
chemist, where you must pay a percentage of the cost of each medicine and a fixed charge per item
prescribed. If the doctor recommends hospital treatment, s/he will give you the relevant certificate.

Non-EU/EEA citizens: You should have taken out your own private medical insurance. However, you
should be aware of its exclusions. In particular, you will probably have to pay the first £25 of medical
expenses; nevertheless, keep all receipts, and claim promptly (i.e. within thirty days). You will probably
not be covered for routine optical and dental treatment, and emergency treatment will probably only be
paid for if you had a check-up before you left Britain. You should do this in any case, as Italian dentists
and opticians are very expensive. If you need to see a doctor, it may be best to go to the Pronto
Soccorso of the local hospital, whose doctor will send you to the appropriate clinic. A specialist will see
you, and the charge will probably be small. The other option is to ask a pharmacist for advice.

Pharmacists and Chemists are qualified to offer advice on minor health problems and recommend
treatments. All pharmacies display a list of those which are open at night and on Sundays.

First Aid Service
Pronto Soccorso, which provides a first aid service with a doctor, is found at airports, railway stations
and in all hospitals. You should ensure you know where the nearest healthcare facilities are.

Other useful websites

                                         Upon Arrival Abroad

                                        Adjusting to life abroad

a) Homesickness

It is very normal to experience a feeling of homesickness while you are away. You may start pining for
your Manchester haunts or for your friends and family. Talking to your friends in your host country about
how you are feeling and to our colleagues in the Erasmus/International Office (who are familiar with
students who feel homesick) should help. In addition, please remember that we‟re just a telephone call or
email message away so do not hesitate to contact the Study Abroad Unit - don‟t feel you need to suffer in
silence! Please remember, too, we would like to hear from you when things are going well, as we are
genuinely interested in how you are getting on.

b) Culture Shock

People experience culture shock in a variety of ways, and once again feel free to talk to people about
your feelings or fears. Sometimes it could be several weeks before you notice any effects, but please
don‟t worry as culture shock is a normal reaction for quite a few people. You should find that as you
adjust to your host‟s culture and attitudes, and begin to know your way around, you start to feel at home.
The following suggestions may be helpful:

       maintain your perspective
       evaluate your expectations
       keep an open mind
       do not withdraw and isolate yourself
       seek help if your feelings persist

                                           Police Registration

You will need to register with the Italian police, who will give you your Permesso di Soggiorno. This
establishes your right of residence in Italy and is essential if you have any dealings with the state or the
police. You should go to the questura at the Ufficcio Stranieri, as soon as you have registered at the
university. You will need your certificate of enrolment at your Italian university, 3 passport photos,
passport or equivalent identity card, your EHIC card and official proof of accommodation in Italy.

It is a good idea to take all the official papers you have with you, in case they are required. The
questura is usually full of people and you may have to wait a long time, but the importance of the
Permesso di Soggiorno cannot be exaggerated.

                                      Finding Somewhere to Stay

University Accommodation
A university room (studentato) is probably the cheapest accommodation available, but there is a lot of
competition as they are much scarcer than in Britain. If you do manage to get a room, you will
probably have to share it. Student accommodation in Italy is generally a lot quieter than in Britain,
because the Italian students treat the accommodation as a serious study area. For this reason
residenze are not such sociable places as they are in Britain, and it is therefore not quite so easy to
get to know people.
NB Rent is paid monthly, and you will be asked for a deposit of up to one month's rent, which will be
returned when you hand back the keys at the end of your stay.

For information regarding accommodation at your university, you should refer to the ERASMUS
Office, if there is one, or if not, to the CTS (Centro Turistico Studentesco).

NB You do not need to register at the university to get university accommodation so you can go
straight to the accommodation office when you arrive.

Changing Accommodation
It is not difficult to leave student accommodation as long as you give them fair notice of your decision
to move. You can’t choose your room! You can‟t easily swap rooms through the system: they are
much sought after, so the accommodation service does not believe in indulging the preferences of
individual students.

                                       Private Accommodation

The most important thing, if you haven't already arranged accommodation, is to arrive before the
beginning of term - this may mean leaving Britain earlier than you would like to, but it will probably
save you a lot of time and money, as places are quickly taken, and hotels can be expensive. Most
Italian students share rooms but it is possible to find a single room if you are prepared to pay a little
more. Apart from asking at the university accommodation office, the following strategies may prove

   Advertise on university notice boards and at the Mensa. These are excellent. Often you can find
    advertisements looking for extra people for accommodation that has already been found, or
    alternatively, students leave ads looking for others who are interested in house hunting together.
    Always check the boards, especially 2-3 weeks before term begins.
   See local newspapers in the mornings and phone up immediately if anything interests you.
   Corner shops have ads for vacant flats, house-shares, or lodgings.
   It is also worth checking at your local library, and at any youth information centres, or particular
    cultural centres in your town, especially if there are British or American Clubs/Centres/Libraries, as
    some people offering accommodation look specifically for International students.
   Some towns have lists of rooms and flats available, which are produced and distributed by the
    citizens' advice bureau, tourist office or equivalent organisation.

Agencies are not recommended. Italian students do not generally use them, as they don‟t really cater
for student needs and can be costly. However, if you do choose to use an agency they will not
provide rooms for single students so make sure that you have at least one other person before you go.
Usually you are charged about £100 in fees but this may be deducted from your rent so check in

Contracts can vary. The standard contract is usually for a lease of 12 months, although this can be
adapted to the needs of students depending on the willingness of the proprietor. Whether bills are
included or not depends on the landlady/lord. Deposits are always expected and can range from one
month's rent to three months' rent in advance and are usually two months‟ rent in advance so be
prepared!! Again, this depends on the contractual agreement. If you are planning to rent in the private
sector, be sure you have sufficient funds to pay the deposit. Make sure that you receive a copy of
anything that you sign and that you understand the terms and conditions of bills and the deposit.

Expect to pay approx €350 for a single room and about €250 for a shared room. Many landlords do
not give a contract, and although this is illegal (it allows them to evade tax and deprives you of your
rights) it seems that students are willing to put up with the situation.

                                     The Italian University System

In Italy most universities are state-run, but there are a few private ones. At present there are about 64
universities in Italy with over three hundred faculties, departments and degree-granting branches in all
fields of learning, and for all professions.

Following educational reforms a few years ago, the Italian degree system has become much more
complex than in former times.

The three-year degree (Laurea Triennale)
Students can enrol at University after they have obtained the “maturità” after a total of 13 years‟ study
at school. The three-year degree is intended to provide a suitable mastery of academic tools and
contents and, in many cases, the acquisition of specific professional skills. After this first level degree,
a student can either leave with the simple laurea, or continue to study for a Second Level Degree or a
Master. After the first level degree it is also possible – for some subject areas – to get a “Diploma of
Specializzazione” (Specialization Diploma) whose length may vary from 2 to 4 years.

The Second Level Degree (Laurea Specialistica)
This provides an additional two year add-on degree, technically permitting greater specialisation. For
entering some professions the additional two year lauree specialistiche are considered essential

Single course Degree (Laurea Specialistica a ciclo unico)
For some scientific subjects it is not possible to do a simple three year degree and the only course
offered is taken over five years. Those who receive it have the equivalent qualification to someone who
has studied both the laurea triennale and the laurea specialistica.

Master (note there is no final „s‟ to Masters in Italian)
A „master‟ can be obtained either after a first level degree (first level Master) or after a second level
degree (second level Master). It usually lasts one year.

Research Doctorate (Dottorato di Ricerca)
After the Second Level Degree it is also possible to do a research doctorate. Access to pursue a
research doctorate, essentially a British PhD, is extremely limited. Students are only accepted after
winning a place through nationally advertised, local competitions for each subject area. Among those
selected, at least 50% receive financial support for the whole length of the course. A research
doctorate is only really considered as a preparation for an academic career.

When you arrive in Italy, you should contact the co-ordinator of your exchange scheme as soon as
possible. S/he should then inform you of the necessary procedures you will need to go through in
order to register. Registration can only be done when you have decided upon your courses and is a
time-consuming, often badly-organised process. Queuing systems do not appear to work in Italy so
you may have to literally jostle your way in! Once you have registered, you will be provided with a
certificate of your student status which should then be taken for police registration at the questura; you
will be given a tessera (student ID card) and you will be provided with a libretto universitario, to be
filled in when you take exams.

The ECTS Credit System
The ECTS, „European Credit Transfer System‟, makes it easier for European institutions to recognise
the learning achievements of students through the use of commonly understood measurements -
credits and grades.

ECTS uses three key documents:
1.    information package (includes course units).
2.    application form/learning agreement.
3.    transcript of records (showing grades obtained).
Most EU universities operate ECTS to a greater or lesser extent. At the University of Manchester, a full
workload for a year‟s course at undergraduate level is 120 credits which is equal to 60 ECTS credits.
The credits represent a full student workload eg lectures, practical work, seminars, tutorials, fieldwork,
private study - in the library or at home and are not limited to contact hours only. You need to check if
the credits quoted are in the host university‟s terms or ECTS terms so that you can work out how
many courses to choose.

In order to be eligible for the Erasmus grant, students are expected to complete 30 credits per

The ECTS Grading System
Examination and assessment results are usually expressed in grades. However, many different
grading systems co-exist in Europe. In order to ensure that exchange students are treated fairly
wherever their study is undertaken, an ECTS grading system has been developed to complement the
credit framework. Whilst ECTS credits reflect the quantity of work, ECTS grades represent its quality.

This table shows the ECTS grading scale and how it is defined:

              Percentage of successful
ECTS          students normally
Grade         achieving
              the grade

                                          EXCELLENT - outstanding performance with only minor
A             10

                                          VERY GOOD -above the average standard but with some
B             25

                                          GOOD -generally sound work with a number of notable
C             30

D             25                          SATISFACTORY- fair but with significant shortcomings

E             10                          SUFFICIENT - performance meets the minimum criteria

                                          FAIL- some more work required before the credit can be
FX            -

F             -                           FAIL- considerable further work is required

Signing on for Courses
You should see the academic co-ordinator at your host university for some practical advice on and
help with choosing courses. Otherwise, there are published university course guidebooks containing
details of all the courses on offer at the university. To find out specific course information also try to
speak to individual course tutors. At some universities you will be able to take courses in other
Faculties. If in doubt, ask your co-ordinator. Please note that it is very important to attend all courses,
despite the practices you may observe amongst Italian students, as tutors will note this and then be
very sympathetic (in most cases) to Erasmus students‟ problems. It is also advisable to remember
how formal the relationship between students and teachers is in Italy in comparison with British
universities. When dealing with all members of academic and administrative staff you should adopt a
deferential tone, ensuring you use „lei‟ and titles.

Most people studying in Italy will take some kind of exam. There are various means of examination
which vary from 20 minute orals to pieces of written work in Italian and sometimes also in English.
Oral exams are conducted after an appello has been made. This means that the tutor puts a form on
his/her office door, and students must register their names on the form and then turn up on the
appointed day. In Italy exams are public, so if you find the idea of an oral exam intimidating, why not
go and watch some as preparation.

Tutors' expectations of International students vary wildly and therefore so can marks. Do remember
however, that you will be expected to attend the entire course of your choice to be eligible to sit an
exam. If you are taking exams, you will need to have your libretto universitario signed by the
appropriate tutor (your examiner). Remember to hand it to your tutor so s/he can write in your mark (in
Italy you are marked out of a score of 30 with 18 as the passmark) and make sure s/he signs it. At the
end of your stay, you should hand the libretto to your personal tutor/main tutor when you have done all
your exams so that s/he may photocopy your marks for their administrative purposes.

Increasingly information is available via Italian University websites. There are notice boards in all the
departments on which there should be lists of all the courses and the tutors who take them, the time
and place etc. If you have any problems finding information or the department library then you'll just
have to ask around! In Italy there are people who are called bidelli, almost self-appointed guardians of
the university, who make it their business to know all there is to know about the courses, etc. You will
find them at the entrance of most university departments.

An Italian student wishing to contact a tutor either approaches the tutor at the beginning or end of a
class; or s/he finds out the tutor's office hours (which are few and far between) and goes to the tutor's
office. You will find that in Italy, tutors teach far fewer hours and are rarely to be found in their offices;
as a result it may take some time for you actually to make contact with a tutor. If you do find that
getting hold of a tutor is near impossible, then your best chance will be to contact them via e-mail.

Most non-scientific courses in Italian Universities are lecture-based. Some courses also offer
seminars. For details you should consult the Notiziario, the official listing of courses. Attendance at
lectures is not compulsory, and some students take exams without attending a single lecture, but
permission for this must be gained in advance. It is always recommended that you introduce yourself
to your tutor or course organiser at the beginning of the course as it may be of benefit to you to make it
clear that you are an Erasmus student. Be warned that it is not unusual for times and places of
lectures to be changed with little notice. Overcrowding of lecture halls is commonplace.

Term Dates:
Italian Universities tend to run on a loose semester system. The first semester begins at the beginning
of October, but some courses might not begin until November. 'Second semester' courses begin in
February or March, and there may be some courses which run for the whole year. There is a break of
about three weeks at Christmas, and another of about two weeks over Easter. Exams are generally
held in late February and in late May - July. Courses usually finish in May.

Additional Public Holidays are as follows:

1 November - All Saints‟ Day
8 December - Immaculate Conception
Christmas Day
Boxing Day
1 January - New Year‟s Day
6 January – Epiphany

Easter Day
Easter Monday
25 April - Liberation Day
1 May - Labour Day
15 August - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

                                            Student Services

Italian Universities do not have Students' Unions as such; however, some of the services provided by
the S.U. are provided by the university itself or by voluntary student organisations - these services
might include sports facilities and cultural groups, but others, such as welfare, counselling and crèche
facilities, are virtually unheard of. In general you find that the ERASMUS associations are very helpful
and slightly more advanced than other student services.


University Libraries
Libraries are treated as important historical archives in Italy. As with any bureaucracy, be prepared for
the worst - you may find you have to go back the next day with specific documentation or a signature
from a tutor authorising you to use the library.

You will find for the most part that British-style university libraries do not exist at Italian universities.
Having said this, for example, in Forli, you will find that its library has adopted a system similar to that
of The University of Manchester. Books will be distributed amongst the libraries of various disciplines.
Don't be put off by specialist libraries, as apart from specialist books, they will often also have relevant
books from other academic fields.

To join the Central Library, (Biblioteca Universaria), you will need to fill in some forms, show your
tessera (Italian student ID), your passport, and have various sections of the forms signed by a
university tutor and stamped by another university official. Additionally, you may require proof of status
as a student. Different libraries have different rules of admission: some may be only for the use of
students studying in a particular field. If you wish to consult them then you may again have to find a
tutor who is on the library's list to sign a form for you. Once the form has been signed, you may go
back to the library and get temporary admission for the period stated.

Once in the library you may have access to books, periodicals, inter-library loans, etc. The number of
books you can take out is likely to be between 2 and 4. In order to navigate successfully the various
libraries, it is essential that you learn to use the computer catalogues - librarians should be able to
assist and instruct.

Opening times vary for each library, but in general they tend to open 09.00-17.00, or for a few hours
in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon, closing for a couple of hours at lunchtime. Some
faculty libraries are open all day and quite late into the evening.

Photocopying is expensive on the coin operated machines in the library, so Italian students go to the
numerous copy-shops where it is much cheaper. As books are scarce, people often copy them whole.
However, this is a breach of copyright and illegal, and occasionally the 'Finance Police' spot-check
copy shops. Recently there has been an initiative launched to curb the illegal copying of texts, which
would put many copy shops out of business, but so far this seems to have made little if any impact. It
is not permitted to photocopy bound newspapers but some libraries offer a special service whereby
they transfer a document to microfiche, and then onto paper. This, however, is very costly.

Other Libraries and Archives
General Regulations: a malleveri, or guarantee letter, is required from outside users of research
libraries. Sometimes you may need to have a letter from your home university co-ordinator to allow
you access. For further information on Libraries and Archives, consult: Libraries and Archives in
Italy, ed. R.J. Lewanski, which gives details of various archives and libraries in Italy, and has a list of
libraries classified by field of study. It gives detailed information on each library's special field,
resources and facilities available, times of opening, and offers further bibliographical references. Most
archives now have good websites.

                                           Paying Your Way

Studying abroad is expensive and as well as finding the best way to manage your money when you get
to your host country, it is also worth bearing in mind that you can usually subsidise the year by working
while you are away which not only has obvious financial rewards but may also be a good way of
improving your language skills too. Whether or not you decide to work, a local bank account is
certainly worth having and will make bill payment and any employment wages much easier to process.

                                              Italian Banks

In general you will find that few Erasmus or Italian students will hold Italian bank accounts because of
the charges that are incurred simply by having an account. It is advised therefore to keep your British
bank account active and use your MasterCard, Visa or Cirrus to withdraw money from the ‘Bancomat’.

Bank charges: During your time in Italy you will have to change several thousand pounds from
sterling into Euros. Relatively small variations in commission charges can add up to a lot of money
over a year - as much as £100 in some cases. For this reason it is important to be organised and
careful with your money. Above all, avoid relying on traveller‟s cheques for the whole year, as each
transaction will cost you money. Having said that, it is a good idea to have them, especially during the
first few weeks, and also as backup later in case of difficulty. The advantage of having a bank account
is that you never need to carry around large amounts of money as you can use your bancomat card in
the same way that we use Switch at home. If you do decide to open an Italian bank account it is worth
noting that you will have to pay an amount each month, usually a high charge, to receive the standard
bank services you take for granted in Britain. One bank has been known to charge around €40 a
month for the full service. It is possible to open an account just for keeping your money (conto di
risparmio), which would not incur high charges, but in this case, you would receive no bank service.
Banca di Roma have a student account that charges less than other banks.

Opening an account
It is not difficult to open an account in Italy. You will need a codice fiscale, your passport, proof of
address in Italy, and possibly of your local address abroad. There are no special facilities for students,
no free use of cheques or free overdraft facility. You will be given a cash point card and a cheque
book. Banks are not the most efficient institutions in Italy, and bank charges are liable to be high. Two
banks have been particularly recommended in previous years, Credito Italiano and Banca Toscana,
as they have special student accounts with reduced charges. Banca dell'America Italiana
supposedly has a special link with Barclays in Britain but it does not have as many branches as some
of the other major Italian banks.

Banking hours in Italy are 08.30 -13.00/13.30, and one hour in the afternoon, generally from 15.00 to
16.00, but check locally as times of opening in the afternoon vary from bank to bank and from city to
city. Banks are not open on Saturdays, Sundays or any other National Holidays. Traveller‟s Cheques
can be changed at most hotels.


Within EU law, all residents of the EU have the right to seek employment in member countries, and do
not require a work permit to do so. The only conditions that apply to this law are that you are in
possession of a full British or new European Passport and that you are not a Commonwealth citizen
who has right of abode in the UK.

However, if you want to work in hotels, bars and restaurants you are required to obtain a Libretto
Sanitario and it is illegal to work in these places without one. You need to go to the commune to get
one and take with you the codice fiscale, permesso di soggiorno and 2 passport photos. Do make
sure you have one as Italian employers are very lax about this and it will be you who receives a fine
rather than the employers themselves.

The permesso di soggiorno entitles you and your family to stay in Italy and work there for up to 5
years. Non-EU Nationals intending to work in Europe should enquire at the nearest Consulate-
General about the possibility of finding work in Italy.

It cannot be too strongly stressed that work, especially for those who do not speak Italian fluently or
who do not have special skills, is hard to find. Italian law prohibits private employment agencies and
agencies for au pair work; however, state agencies do exist. Hotels and restaurants may have
vacancies during the high season, but fluent Italian is almost always needed. Part-time work is hard to
come by, but Informa Giovani does have details of how to find some.

Teaching English privately is a good way to earn money; there is almost always a demand for this at
university, so try putting up your advertisement on the student boards. Be careful about advertising
your phone number, and arrange to meet in a public place.

Baby-sitting is always a good way of earning extra pocket money, and families often seem to be keen
to have British students look after their children. Again, it is a matter of putting up notices in shop
windows and consulting notice boards and newspapers.

Hotel and Catering work is another option and English speakers are often considered an asset,
particularly in tourist areas. The simplest method is to trek round the local establishments and ask if
anyone is needed, but you may find that there is a national publication, which would make the task a
lot lighter.

Voluntary Workcamps
These are a kind of voluntary service that offer the possibility of living and working with a group of
different people in exchange for room and board, or by paying a small fee. If you are interested in
receiving a programme of organised camps, you can write to:
Servizio Civile Internazionale: via Laterani, 28, 00185 Roma. Tel: (0)6/7005367. Activities:
solidarity, environmental protection, social work with disabled people, restoration work and

Some UK employment agencies who deal with work overseas are registered with the Federation of
Recruitment and Employment Services (FRES). If you write to them before you leave they may be
able to help you. Their address is:

36-38 Mortimer Street
London W1W 7RG
Tel: 0207 74623260

Publications which may be useful include (list price given):
The Directory of Jobs and Careers Abroad (£12.95)
Teaching English Abroad (£14.95)
The Au Pair and Nanny's Guide to Working Abroad (£12.95)
Live and Work in Italy (price £10.99)

All these titles are distributed by:
Vacation Work c/o Crimson Business Ltd
Westminster House
Kew Road
Tel: 020 8326 5620

If you undertake any work experience/community work/lab work whilst abroad, please bear in
mind the following:

    When visiting or working from an organisation‟s premises, you must follow any safety
     instructions you are given by them.
    If you will be working from the organisation‟s premises, they should provide you with a health &
     safety induction. If they do not offer this then request one so that you understand their safety
     and emergency situation arrangements. If this is not done you must notify your placement tutor.
     This should cover:
            o   Their general safety policy and procedures
            o   Procedures to be adopted in the event of a emergency
            o   Emergency evacuation, location of fire exits and general layout of building
            o   Procedures for accidents/first aid
            o   General security at the premises
            o   Manual handling/lifting (where applicable to the work)
            o   Protective clothing arrangements (where applicable to the work)
            o   Training for using machinery, hazardous substances or lab work.
    Ask questions of the organisation to clarify the above if the induction does not clearly explain all
     these areas.
    If you are asked to work on the premises with machinery, hazardous substances or similar, the
     organisation must provide training. You must not undertake this work unless until they have
     provided this and you feel competent to undertake this work.
    They must also provide appropriate safety equipment and clothing. Use any safety equipment
     that is provided, e.g. equipment that helps in lifting/transporting heavy items.
    Consider the safety of any actions you undertake and do not carelessly or recklessly endanger
     those you will be working with, whether staff of the organisation or the public.
    Familiarise yourself with workplace rules. Smoking, eating or drinking, or other actions may be
     prohibited within the workplace.

If you have general concerns about your safety on placement

If you have general concerns about your safety in the workplace, you must notify your placement
tutor as soon as possible to discuss these, so that appropriate action may be taken. Whilst the

placement is part of your course of study, you are not expected to work in a dangerous environment
and your placement tutor will take steps to investigate/resolve the situation.

If your concern is not related to the work itself, contact the Study Abroad Unit for advice.

You should also ensure you complete the Student Induction Checklist appendix 2 of this guide
within a week of starting work.

                                           Travel within Italy

When travelling on public transport, you should note that tickets need to be endorsed in a ticket
machine before starting a journey. The machines are usually positioned at the entrance to platforms
in railway stations, in the entrance hall to metro stations and on board buses and trams. Officials
patrol all means of public transport and will issue an on the spot fine of Euros 50 to 60 if you do not
hold an endorsed ticket.

There is an on-going risk of strikes by a range of workers‟ organisations in Italy, particularly in the
transport sector. You can view a list of the organised strikes at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
website ( but you should be aware that other strikes could be called at little or no

Alitalia operates internal flights, and a number of bus companies operate services, but train travel in
Italy is relatively cheap, and represents the best balance between price and comfort.

Trains are often crowded, especially those running between major cities. Reservations are
recommended on Intercity and Eurocity trains (for which a supplement is also payable) especially if
you are travelling a long distance - otherwise you might easily find yourself sitting on your luggage or
standing in a crowded corridor for several hours. When taking overnight trains, it is recommended that
you take a cuccetta - these cost approximately €10, depending on the time of year, and provide a
much more comfortable and safer option, especially if you are a woman travelling alone.

There are various special tickets available, but many of them offer only minimal savings, and some
might even end up more expensive than buying normal tickets. The following tickets are likely to offer
the biggest savings:

Biglietto Turistico Libera Circolazione is particularly suitable for those who would like to do some
travelling around Italy. It allows unlimited travel on any Italian train, including Rapido, Intercity and
Eurocity without paying a supplement:

Cartaverde is available to those under 26, is valid for one year and gives a 20% discount on any fare.
If you are planning on travelling extensively during your year in Italy, this is probably the best card to

Biglietto di Abbonamento is a season ticket and is good value if you need to take a train to university
(in which case you may also qualify for extra travel assistance from your LA), or if you travel very
frequently to a nearby town (e.g. Forlì - Bologna). For students under 26, a three month ticket is
available for the price of a one month ticket after you have bought six consecutive one month tickets,
all of which must be presented at the time of the purchase of the discounted ticket.

NB: Some stations will not take credit cards from foreigners, even if they are advertised as accepted,
due to the large number of thefts. Be prepared to pay in cash for your ticket. For more information on
ticket prices, discounts and timetables, In Treno Tutt' Italia, available from bookshops and magazine
shops, is well worth buying.

Car Hire
Hiring cars is not cheap, and is probably only worth doing if you club together and share the costs
between four or five people. Most of the major car-hire firms have offices in Italy. You can arrange
with their British counterparts to hire a car in Italy. Small local firms often offer cheaper rates but cars
can only be booked locally. Some firms restrict hire to drivers over 21. Usually, you must have had a
valid driving licence for at least one year before applying for car-hire.

                                         Post and Telephones

Public phones, run by the Italian phone company SIP, are everywhere in Italy. There will usually be
instructions in English. They take €2.5/5 phone cards or coins. Phone cards can be bought from card
machines near public telephones and in Post Offices, tobacconists, some bars, edicole (news stands)

Cheap Rates: It is cheaper to phone between 10pm and 8am, Monday-Saturday, and all day Sunday.

Directory enquiries: dial 12 (free of charge) for information on opening times of offices, for
postcodes and if you only know a number or a person's name and wish to get the full address.
However, enquiries for numbers in your own area (unless new) and numbers abroad are chargeable.

Phoning the UK: to dial direct, phone 00-44- and then the UK number with the first zero left off - i.e.
to call 01273 606755, you dial 00-44-1273-606755.
International directory enquiries: dial 170
Europe and the Mediterranean basin: 176
Reverse charges: 10
International reverse charges: 15

A reverse charge call to the UK is very expensive and it is advisable to keep calls to an absolute

Skype is an internet-based service which will allow you to chat to your family back home and friends
elsewhere in the world for free. You will however need a headset, speakers or USB phone, and to
then download the software onto your computer. For further details go to:

Private telephones will cost approximately €125 to have installed and then an additional charge for
line rental each month. You will need to call SIP (Telecom Italia) to arrange finer details. When you
arrange to have your telephone installed you should enquire about the times for cheaper rates.

Mobile phones can be converted to work in Italy at favourable terms. Whilst calls transmitted or
received on a mobile to and from Britain cost a fortune, the local rate and national tariffs are often
quite reasonable. Contact your UK supplier for details of mobile transfer. To buy a mobile can be very
expensive in Italy although it is worth shopping around. The company „Wind‟, for example, have good
value tariffs for phoning England and within Italy cheaply.

If you haven‟t got a fixed address in your first few weeks, you can always receive letters using the post
restante system. Simply address them to FERMO POSTA, followed by the town etc. (i.e. FERMO
POSTA, Bologna, Italy). Letters will be delivered to the central post office, where they are kept for up
to a month. You pick them up by showing your passport and paying a small fee.

                                          Safety and Welfare

Before you go
You are advised to complete a detailed itinerary and provide copies to your family/an “appropriate
person”. Information should include:
     Name/address/telephone number/email of an emergency contact in the UK.
     Contact address/details whilst abroad
     If possible, name/telephone number/email details of a contact person at your destination.
     Full details of date/time of departure and return (which should also include flight number etc)

General Safety Precautions
Familiarise yourself with the locality of your placement or your building and the university campus in
general: how to get from A to B, where your accommodation is, public transport, unsafe areas of town
to avoid. This is especially true when choosing accommodation, try to balance the desire to find low-
cost accommodation with safety. Contacting other Manchester students who have previously been to
your destination will give you the best idea of which areas are a good option.

As a foreigner, you are usually less able to detect danger signs. It is worth remembering that the less
conspicuous you look, the less interest you will be likely to provoke. If for example you have to consult
a map, it is better to do it in a café than to advertise that you are unsure of your surroundings. Avoid
confrontational situations – it is better to focus on your safety if you are being provoked or hassled by
someone. Move to a public area, and if necessary ask for help. If you lose any personal belongings or
documents go directly to the police and report it.

Travelling safely
When using public transport, ensure you carry enough money, know which stop you need to get on
and off. Avoid displaying valuable items. Do not agree to carry bags or additional goods for anyone.
Innocently helping a stranger with their baggage could result in you being arrested if illegal
drugs/substances are found. Stay in contact with your luggage unless it is locked in your room or
stowed safely on transport. Always check that you have left nothing behind. When traveling by car
please remember to be aware of the following:
     Poor road conditions.
     Poor vehicle maintenance.
     Driving on a different side of the road.
     Non use of seatbelts/helmets on bikes etc.
The danger can be reduced by:
     Being aware when crossing the road that the traffic may come from a direction different from
         what is expected.
     Ensuring when driving that you strictly observe speed limits and by being aware that drivers
         may not observe pedestrian crossings or traffic lights.
     By never drinking and driving
     Locking your doors at stopping points especially at night and isolated areas.
     Taking care on poor road surfaces.
     Being cautious in riding in overloaded up country buses.
     Checking hire vehicles very carefully for mechanical defects, insurance etc.

Safe Socialising
At night or in an unfamiliar area, attach yourself to a group of people and walk purposefully to your
destination, or arrange to meet someone. Lone women should avoid walking around after dark. Your
behaviour will also play a part in your personal safety. Young people in Europe do not in general drink
to get drunk so ensure that you check the behaviour of your peer group in bars, cafés and discos. If
one of your friends is the worse for wear, do make sure that you accompany him/her home. You will

find that your dress code will also influence the way you are treated; again look to your peer group for
guidelines on not causing offence to locals and avoid making yourself unnecessarily vulnerable.

Avoiding Theft
Like everywhere, the only way to avoid theft is to be constantly on your guard; never take out large
sums of money unless absolutely necessary and if possible keep your documents and money in a
wallet, which you can keep on your person, rather than in a bag, which can be easily snatched. Hold
on tightly to your bags, especially in a crowd, and keep your wallet close to your body so that it cannot
be taken without you noticing. Pickpockets can be common, especially around groups of foreigners. If
you are robbed, you should report it to the police immediately. If you lose your credit cards or bank
cards then get in touch with your bank as soon as you can to have them stopped; banks at home and
abroad provide emergency numbers for use in the event of loss or theft, so be sure to make a note of
the numbers and keep it separate from the cards themselves.

In the event of loss of documents, the police will write out a temporary form which will cover you
whilst you are in the process of obtaining new papers, which you should do via the nearest British
Consulate. It is recommended that you take with you photocopies of your passport and all important
documents, in addition leave a copy at home with your family or a trusted friend. Consider scanning
and e-mailing important documents to yourself so you can access them anywhere via the internet.
Also make a note of important telephone numbers, not only for family and friends but for:
            o Your placement employer or host institution .
            o Your accommodation
            o Your placement tutor or Erasmus Coordinator
            o Emergency services in your host country
            o Local doctor or health centre
            o A local, recommended taxi company
            o Numbers for cancelling cash/credit cards
            o Nearest British Embassy

Ensure you regularly keep in touch with friends and relatives so they know where you are and they
have your contact details and address.

If you find yourself without any access to cash, without your passport, or in any other serious kind of
trouble, the Consulate will try to help. In the unlikely event that you are arrested for a serious offence,
insist on the Consulate being informed: you will be contacted as soon as possible by a consular officer
who can advise on local procedures, etc.

What to do if…

An incident occurs whilst you are abroad

Whilst abroad, if something serious happens relating to your personal security/safety, you must notify
one or more of the following people (as appropriate) as soon as possible:

      In an emergency: The Police or Ambulance services (as described above)
      Your placement tutor (if it relates to your employer or work environment)
      Your Erasmus Coordinator at your host institution and here at Manchester
      University of Manchester (24 hour number) – Tel: +44 161 275 2728 (out of hours)

If there is an emergency in your halls/accommodation, during lectures or at your work
placement, in fact ANYTIME!

    Ensure you commit to memory the standing orders for emergency action. You will have no time
     to read them in an emergency. Depending on which country you are in an alarm sounding could
     mean a variety of things, earthquake, tornado, fire. Do you know how to react?
    You are expected to act in the spirit of the instructions. There is no substitute for common
     sense. The most important consideration at all times is human safety.
    Remember: if you become a casualty someone must rescue you, possibly at personal risk to
    Act quietly and methodically. You should not rush or attempt to pass others when leaving the
     scene of an emergency.
    The senior person present should assume control of the situation ensuring the safe evacuation
     of all persons present, and be prepared to warn the emergency services, etc, of known specific
    If you have to telephone for assistance, the following information must always be given as
     clearly and as simply as you can:
                   o Who you are
                   o Where you are:
                   o The nature of the emergency and what services are required
                   o The exact location where assistance is required
    Ensure the message is repeated back to you and is understood, ensure you know the correct
     vocabulary for such situation in the language of host country where appropriate
    Do not attempt to use fire extinguishers unless you have received appropriate instruction and it
     is safe to do so.

At the time of publication the University of Manchester does not have student-exchange partnerships
with any institutions in countries currently considered to be unsafe by the Foreign and Commonwealth
Office. As part of your preparations for your time abroad you should be taking an interest in your host
country particularly the development of any social or political problems. However if you plan to travel
or have organised your own work placement you should check to ensure your
destination is considered to be safe. You may need to check this site regularly depending on your
location/travel plans as new countries could be added to the list at any time.

Make sure you register with the FCO.
Go to:
Select: LOCATE: register with us

Helplines and Information Centres:

       Centri Giovanili: these are youth information centres based all over Italy where you may get
        information as to the help agencies available in your area.
       Crisis Centres: for information, dial 113.
       Differenza Donna (women's help and advice centre).: Via delle tre Cannelle, 15 – Roma.
        Tel: +39/06/6780357

Emergency Services:
Ambulance    113
Police       112
Fire         115

                             Useful Contact Details and Websites

                                           In Manchester

Departmental Erasmus Coordinator
Please complete this section with the details of the Erasmus contact in your School.


Responsible for:        the administration of all aspects of your Erasmus exchange with the exception
                        of financial matters (e.g. the application procedure; advice about course
                        selection – level of courses / number of credits to take; any changes you may
                        make to your course choices once abroad; any academic difficulties you
                        experience whilst abroad; and module registration for your final year courses
                        at Manchester).

Contact point for:      Erasmus application queries and all academic-related enquiries.

Study Abroad Unit
Jenny Gonzalez Hogg – Study Abroad Adviser for Outgoing Students

Tel:                    +44 (0)161 275 3053
Fax:                    +44 (0)161 275 2058

Responsible for:        the administration of the financial aspects of your Erasmus exchange and for
                        collecting the necessary paperwork from you that must be returned in order to
                        be eligible to receive the Erasmus grant money.

Contact point for:      any queries regarding the Erasmus grant. You can also contact Jenny if you
                        have an urgent problem, or if you are having difficulty obtaining a response
                        from your School. However, she cannot answer academic-related queries.

Study Abroad Unit
Helen McHugh – Erasmus Coordinator, support for Work Placement students

Tel:                    +44 (0)161 275 4979
Fax:                    +44 (0)161 275 2058

Responsible for:        the administration of the financial aspects of your Erasmus placement and for
                        collecting the necessary paperwork from you that must be returned in order to
                        be eligible to receive the Erasmus grant money.

Contact point for:      any queries regarding the Erasmus grant. You must inform Helen and your
                        Coordinator if you make any changes to the plans you stated in your Erasmus
                        contract, particularly regarding change of placement or change of duration.
                        This will affect your Erasmus grant.

Study Abroad Unit
Caroline Whitehand – Manager, Study Abroad Unit

Tel:                     +44 (0) 161 275 3041
Fax:                     +44 (0) 161 275 2058

Contact point for:       any issues you feel unable to raise with Jenny/Helen. Next point of contact in
                         the Study Abroad Unit if Jenny/Helen is away from the office.

Student Support Services

Tel:                     +44 (0) 161 275 5000
Fax:                     Burlington Street: +44 (0) 161 275 7860
                         Sackville Street: +44 (0) 161 275 7100

Responsible for:         help with student issues including registration and fees, documentation, loans
                         and grants and exams, as well as health and welfare issues.

Contact point for:       advice on money management (Student Money Advisor)
                         Counselling Service
                         Loans, grants and tuition fees
                         Disability support

24 hour emergency helpline

Tel:                     +44 161 2752728

You should only use this number in an emergency situation where you need the urgent help or advice
of a member of University of Manchester staff and appropriate advice is not available locally.
Situations where it might be appropriate to use this number would include natural disasters or terrorist
attack. Having lost the keys to your apartment would not warrant the use of this number. In almost all
emergency situations local advice with be the most relevant/valuable to you.

                               Erasmus Codes and Partner Websites

You will need to know the Erasmus code for your home and partner institution when completing any
Erasmus paperwork.

              Erasmus code                              UK MANCHES01
              Institutional Coordinator               Dr Caroline Whitehand
              Title                              Manager of the Study Abroad Unit
              Address                               International Development
                                                        Rutherford Building
                                                  The University of Manchester
                                                           Oxford Road
                                                      Manchester, M13 9PL
                                                         United Kingdom
              Telephone                                   +44 161 275 3041
              Fax                                         +44 161 275 2058

However, please note that if you are asked for the signature of the Institutional Coordinator (e.g. on the
application form or Learning Agreement), Manchester‟s policy is that only the Erasmus coordinator in
your School (i.e. the „Departmental Coordinator‟) needs to sign this paperwork. Please do not bring
such documents to the Study Abroad Unit for signing.

 Erasmus Code         University Name                                              Host Website
 I   BERGAMO01        UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI BERGAM0                  
 I   BOLOGNA01        UNIVERSITA DI BOLOGNA                              
 I   FERRARA01        UNIVERSITA DI FERRARA                              
 I   MILANO02         POLITECNICO DI MILANO                              
 I   PAVIA01          UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI PAVIA                              line/Home.html
 I   PISA01           UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI PISA                     
 I   SIENA02          UNIVERSITA PER STRANIERI DI SIENA                  

                                          British Consulates

A Consulate can provide the following services:
 Issue emergency passports;
 Contact relatives and friends and ask them to help you with money or tickets;
 Advise you how to transfer funds;
 Advance against a sterling cheque for £50 supported by a banker's card;
 Provide a list of local lawyers and doctors;
 Give some guidance on organisations experienced in tracing missing persons;
 If you are arrested on a serious offence, insist on the British Consulate being informed. You will
   be contacted as soon as possible by a consular officer who can advise on local procedures etc.
 If you lose your money, passport or anything else abroad, report it first to the local police and
   obtain a statement about the loss. Then contact the Consulate if you still need help.

If you need access to reading material in English it is often worth enquiring whether they offer a
lending library facility - or perhaps they may know of one. is a good source for some information listed above. It also provides maps which will
help you to find the consulates listed below.

MILAN                                                          CATANIA
British Consulate General                                      British Consulate
Via S. Paolo 7                                                 Via Nicola Coviello, 27
20121 MILANO MI                                                95100 CATANIA CT

Email:                                Tel: (0039) 095 716 7336
Tel: (0039) 02 723001
Fax: (0039) 02 864 65081                                       Open to the public September-July:
Out of office hours (only in emergency): (0039) 335 8106857    Monday to Friday: 16:30 - 19:30
                                                               August: closed, please contact Naples (above)
Open to the public:
Monday-Friday 09:15 - 12:15, 14:15 - 15:45

VENICE                                                         FLORENCE
British Consulate                                              British Consulate
Piazzale Donatori di Sangue 2/5                                Lungarno Corsini 2
30171 VENEZIA-MESTRE VE                                        50123 FIRENZE FI
Email:                                    Tel: (0039) 055 284133
tel: (0039) 041 5055990                                        Out of office hours (only in emergency): (0039)
fax: (0039) 041 950254                                         06 4220 2603
website:                                          fax: (0039) 055 219112

                                                               Open to the public:
                                                               Monday-Friday 09:30-12:30, 14:30-16:30

PALERMO                                                        GENOA
British Consulate                                              British Consulate
Via Cavour 117                                                 Piazza G Verdi 6/A
90133 PALERMO PA                                               16121 GENOVA GE
                                                               Tel: (0039) 010 5740071
Tel: (0039) 091 326412                                         Fax: (0039) 010 5304096
Fax: (0039) 091 584240

Open to the public:                                            Open to the public:
Wednesday to Friday: 10:00 - 12:00                             Monday-Wednesday 09:30 - 12:30
                                                               Thursday 12:30 - 15:30

ROME                                                           CAGLIARI
British Consulate                                              British Consulate
via XX Settembre 80a                                           Viale Colombo 160
00187 Rome RM                                                  09045 Quartu S. Elena CA

E-mail:                                                        Email:
Consular information:                  Tel: (0039) 070 828628 (consular enquiries)
General information:                       Fax: (0039) 070 813412
Tel: (0039) 06 4220 0001
Out of office hours (only in emergency): (0039) 06 4220 2603   Open to the public:
Fax: (0039) 06 4220 2334                                       Tuesday and Thursday 09:30 - 12:30

NAPLES                                                         BARI
British Consulate                                              British Consulate
Via dei Mille 40                                               Via Dalmazia 127
80121 Napoli NA                                                70121 BARI BA
Tel: (0039) 081 423 8911
Fax: (0039) 081 422 434                                        Tel: (0039) 080 554 3668
Out of office hours (only in emergency): (0039) 335 7100897    Fax: (0039) 080 554 2977
General information:
Open to the public:
Monday-Friday 09:00 - 12:30; 14:00 - 16:00
Except August: 08:30 - 13:30

                                          Useful websites

Rough Guides                            
Lonely Planet                           

Both good sites for lots of practical info and advice, as well as a brief cultural background and some
suggestions for further reading


Craigslist is an international website where accommodation is advertised, goods are sold etc.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office website 

Search in the drop down menu under „Travel Advice‟ for info on local laws and customs, road safety,
crime warnings, (planned) strike action updates, natural disasters, health advice and entry
requirements for the country/ies you plan to travel through/to.

Search in the drop down menu under „Country Profiles‟ for a summary of the economical and political
situation and the history of the country/ies you will be travelling to.

Italian Embassy            
14 Three Kings Yard, London SW1X 8AN
Tel:           + 44 (0) 207 312 2200
Open:          Mon – Fri, 9am – 12noon

Italian Consulate, Manchester
Rodwell Tower, 111 Piccadilly Street, Manchester, M1 2HY
Tel:           + 44 (0) 161 236 9024
Open:          Mon – Fri, 9am – 12noon

There are two further consulates in Edinburgh and Bedford. See the Embassy website for further

Italian State Tourist Board             

Helpful general travel tips from opening hours for banks to eating out.
Good section of travel advice specifically for disabled travellers.
Good links to other useful sites.


   1. Prior to departure from Manchester

Make sure you have all of the following documents and photocopies of the most important
paperwork (passport, insurance docs, etc):

            A passport valid throughout the duration of your stay and, for some countries, three -
             six months afterwards

            EHIC card
            ISIC Card (for discounts on travel, and in galleries/museums abroad)
            Birth Certificate (check if your host institution requires this or not)
            Recent passport photographs (about 8)
              Out-status letter to prove you‟re a Manchester student on an Erasmus exchange (ask
               your School to produce this for you. Language studies students should collect this from the
               Residence Abroad Coordinator Dan Herman).

            A copy of your completed ECTS Learning Agreement or Training agreement (detailing
             the courses you plan to take and how many credits they are worth) signed by the
             Erasmus coordinator in your School

              Transcript to show exam results of previous study at Manchester (ask your School to
               produce this for you)

            Original A level certificates (or equivalent)
            Proof that you have sufficient income to support yourself while abroad in the form of
             evidence that you receive a student loan/grant or a letter from your parents stating
             that they will support you financially during the year or a recent bank statement

            Contact details for the Erasmus coordinator in Manchester and at your host university
             or in the case of work placement students your Line Manager or placement supervisor

Prior to departure, you will also need to:
            Do as much research as possible on your destination university / region / country by
             reading guidebooks and the information in the Study Abroad resource library, looking
             at websites and speaking to past Erasmus students.

            Research your accommodation options. Do you need to pay a deposit prior to arrival?
             What facilities are provided? Will you need to bring anything (e.g. bedding?).

            If planning to seek privately rented accommodation on arrival, you should book
             yourself into a local hotel/hostel for at least the first few nights.

            Study students need to know how and when you will register at the host university
            Complete the paperwork to notify your LA you‟ll be going abroad, and confirm your
             term or contracted dates.

            Inform your bank that you are going on your year abroad and ask them to help you
             with Traveller‟s Cheques/Foreign Currency/ setting up online banking etc

            Sort out travel arrangements and book tickets

        Arrange with your home-doctor that you have supplies of any prescription medication
         that you may need while you are abroad

        Visit the dentist and optician

2. On arrival
        Study students should register at host university (if you haven‟t already done so)
        Work placement students should ensure you know where and when you need to
         arrive at your placement on the first day and plan your journey there

        Register with any authorities (e.g. police) as required

        Register with the FCO “LOCATE” service (

        Email Erasmus coordinator in Manchester to confirm your safe arrival

        Study students should seek approval for courses you wish to take from your Erasmus
         coordinator that have not already been pre-approved on your Learning Agreement

        Update your term time address on the Student                  Services   Centre Portal

        Ensure you understand the academic requirements and how you will be assessed at
         your host university

        Open bank account (optional)

3. Before leaving your placement abroad
        Make sure you‟ve obtained a Certificate of Attendance signed by the Erasmus
         coordinator or your Line Manager/Placement Supervisor

        Return a Student Report form to the Study Abroad Unit evaluating your Erasmus

        Study students should order a transcript (certificate of your exam results) to be sent to
         your Erasmus coordinator in Manchester

        Pay all outstanding debts (phone bills, library fines, accommodation charges, etc)

        Close your bank account


1. Certificate of Attendance

                                     LLP ERASMUS 2008/09

                               CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE

       This is to certify that the following student from the University of Manchester
       (UK MANCHES01) has undertaken a study / work placement under the
       ERASMUS programme of the European Community:

       Name of student:        ………………………………………………..

       Host organisation/Instituion: ………………………………………………..

       Area of Study:          ………………………………………………..

       Dates of Study:         Start: ……………… Finish: ……………….
                               (DD/MM/YY)         (DD/MM/YY)

       Signed by:                           University / Organisation Stamp

       (e.g. Erasmus Coordinator / International Officer / Human Resources Manager)

       Date: ………………………………

Please return this slip to:
Helen McHugh
Study Abroad Unit
International Relations
The Rutherford Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Fax: +44 161 275-2058
2. Student Induction Checklist
Your name:_____________________________                        Start date:__________________


The following items should be included in your induction into the organisation, preferably on your first
day. Please check off the items below when they occur and inform your placement tutor of any items
not covered within a week of starting work. This list is not exhaustive and other topics may be covered,
which you may note if you wish:

TASK                                                                               Date

Introduction to key members of staff and their roles explained

Location of services: kitchens, toilets and other facilities

Times for lunch and tea/coffee breaks

Place of work, layout of building

Dress code

Work space/desk

Telephone procedures, how to answer/ put through calls

Post arrangements

Access to workplace, keys or swipe card (if relevant)

Health & Safety issues                                                             Date

Emergency procedures & evacuation routes

Safety policy

Location of first aid box, and first aid arrangements

Fire procedures and location of fire extinguishers

Accident reporting and location of accident book

Using a computer display screen (of relevant)

Setting up your desk/work station (if relevant)

Manual handling procedures (lifting/carrying)

Protective clothing arrangements (if relevant)

Instructions on any equipment you will be using
Other issues

Please note that as the Lifelong Learning Programme, duration 2007 – 2013 is still in its infancy and
thus new developments and regulations could come up over the course of your year abroad. In
addition to this the UK has a new National Agency (from 2007), the British Council who mange the
Erasmus scheme in Britian. For these reasons slight amendments may need to be made to the
information contained in this guide. The Study Abroad Unit will always contact students to inform them
of any changes as soon as we are made aware of them.