James M. Smith
Address (H) XXX.XXX.XXXX
City, State Zip firstname.lastname@example.org
Controller Divisional Controller
Accomplished divisional controller in manufacturing, warehousing and product distribution environments.
Financial reporting, analysis, planning and accounting skills accompanied by strong team management skills and
exposure to strategic issues such as acquisition, reorganization, and merger. Experience in small, lean
environments as well as more complex divisional role within large corporate structures. Exposure to working in
international business environment. Acknowledged ability to interface effectively across the organization and
solve problems in the broader organizational context. Professional strengths include:
• Financial Reporting • Team Management
• Financial Analysis and Planning • Recruitment
• Operational & Cost Accounting • Project Management
• Tax & Treasury Management • Problem Solving
• Corporate Restructuring • Interface with Marketing & Sales
• Financial Systems • International Reporting & Operations
Education & Credentials
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration – Accounting Major 1986
University Name, Location
Certified Public Accountant
Company Name, Inc., Town Name, NY (9/1995 – 8/2006)
Joined Company Name as part of their acquisition of Acquired Name. Company is a subsidiary of Parent
Company Name GMBH, which generates $350M/year USD. The division’s products are FDA regulated and ISO-
certified. Immediately post-acquisition, the division had $85M in revenue and 250 employees. Following
restructuring, $65M with about 180 employees.
Division Controller - (4/2002 to 8/2006)
Promoted to lead finance function in midst of reorganization and strategic initiatives. Managed a team of 9-12
with responsibility for sales accounting, cost accounting, profit planning, forecasting, capital expenditure
budgeting and analysis, promotional program analysis, cash management, tax reporting / filing, acquisition /
divestiture projects, reporting and consultation that contributed to the attainment of Company profit goals.
Reported to the group CFO. Primary role responsibilities included:
• Management of short and long range financial planning, forecasting, analysis and control, cost analysis,
and financial reporting.
• Management of operational accounting including tax reporting / filing and treasury services.
• Ensuring integrity of order processing.
• Overseeing maintenance of integrated costing systems.
• Reviewing, assessing, and consolidating domestic and international sales and profit projections.
• Managing all financial data collection, analysis and reporting systems and processes.
• Designing and implementing GAAP and ISO conforming controls.
• Guiding project management and project prioritization for Integrated Systems (IS).
• Providing asset, inventory, accounts receivable and capital expenditure projections.
• Developed promotional expenditure review and audit programs and controls.
• Delivering financial analysis for new product planning, capital appropriations and acquisitions /
Resume – James M. Smith, page 1
• Assisted with transition of Company Name, Inc. to stand-alone company.
• Played key financial role in above-market sale of precious metals business and restructuring of division
• Worked on a day-to-day basis with CEO and Directors of Marketing and Sales on product positioning,
pricing, rebates, commission plans, business plans, strategic planning, budgets, and forecasts.
• Led the financial / cost accounting implementation of the 4th Shift ERP system.
• Implemented payroll conversion to outsourced provider.
• Led the financial side of a SAP conversion for the US division.
• Supported strategic decision on whether to change product distribution channels.
• Led conversion of 03-05 financial records to International Financial Reporting Standards.
Assistant Controller – (1/2001 – 3/2002)
Promoted to manage the accounting, cost accounting and credit / collections departments. Reviewed monthly
business line and financial statements. Built annual budget and forecasts. Managed year-end independent audit.
Manager of General Accounting & Profit Planning – (9/1995 – 12/2000)
Supervised, prepared and reviewed the annual budget of financial information as well as monthly, quarterly,
and annual financial reporting. Managed the credit / collection and receivables function and the property
accounting function including internal and external reporting as well as capital planning.
Company Name, Town Name, IN (1/1988 – 9/1995)
This $40M USD manufacturer of consumable dental products is a subsidiary of the public company Company
Name, with 150 employees. Reported to the Division Controller.
Accounting Specialist - (2/1990 – 9/1995)
Prepared the analysis of monthly income & expense statements, sales price volume and gross margin reporting
for worldwide, domestic, export and Canada. Prepared business unit’s annual zero based budgets, forecast and
business plans (product and departmental levels). Maintained general ledger’s fixed assets, field sales
commissions, advertising and promotion (A&P) annualization, allowance for doubtful accounts, and out freight.
• Assisted in preparation of capital forecasts and plans.
• Built fixed asset reporting system with reconciliation to general ledger and capital plan by project.
• Assisted with financial and administrative due diligence of sale to Company Name in 1995.
Accountant - (1/1988 – 1/1990)
Provided general ledger account analysis and planning, interacting constantly with marketing, sales and
• Assisted in administration of Business Unit Relocation.
• Administered and coordinated physical inventory counts of multiple locations.
Microsoft Applications: Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Database Management: SAP R3 version 4.6C
Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Resume – James M. Smith, page 2