Document Sample
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW.doc Powered By Docstoc


      Produced in
    Polish & Czech
 Lithuanian & English
                             CONTENTS PAGE

Where to get help, advice and support
Dealing with Crime
Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service/Home Safety Checks
Home Security
Safety of Children
Gas Emergencies
Electricity Emergencies
Using a television
Driving in the UK
Travel and transport
National Insurance Number
Workers Registration Scheme
Working conditions and National Minimum Wage
Bank accounts
Money issues and UK currency
Grants and Welfare Benefits
Post Offices
Using public telephones
Use of Libraries
Places of Worship
The Children‟s Information Service
 ESOL classes (English for Speakers of Other Languages)

1   Map of Cumbria
2   Council Offices in Cumbria
3   Citizen Advice Bureau Centres
4   List of local hospitals with Accident & Emergency
5   Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS)
6   Cumbria Sure Start centres
7   Shelter
8   Employment websites


This information answers questions and concerns you may have about living in
Cumbria. It gives general information, useful contacts and explains what to do in
emergencies and who to ask for help.

Disclaimer: Information in this booklet will change. Please contact us if you feel that
certain information is missing, as we can add this to the website information which
will be regularly updated, or if you have any suggestions for change, please let us

Cumbria Multi Cultural Service
48 Cavendish Street
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria LA14 1PZ

Tel:   01229 894401
Fax:   01229 894475


You can contact the Cumbria Multi-Cultural Service about any problems at the
following locations:

Barrow             48 Cavendish Street, Barrow in Furness, Cumbria, LA14 1PZ,
Drop in:           Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 10:00am -4:00pm
                   Telephone number: 01229 894401 (Monday to Friday)

Penrith            Eden Rural Foyer, Old London Road, Penrith
Drop in:           Each Thursday 10 – 4 pm (contact Kleanth Labo)
                   Tel. 07748615652

Maryport           Maryport Library, Maryport
Drop in:           Each Tuesday 12 noon to 4.30 pm (Contact Gazmend Bogiqi)

Windermere         Windermere Library, Ellerthwaite Road, Windermere
Drop in:           Each Monday 10 – 3 pm (Contact Donika Begaj)
                   Tel. 07962104231

You can also ask for help from other agencies such as Citizens Advice Bureau and
Social Services

We can help you to contact other people, who are of the same nationality as
yourself, especially residents in the area who live near you.

Details of Cumbria County Council can be found at:

                         LIVING ACCOMMODATION

Rented Accommodation

There are three main providers of rented accommodation: private landlords, local
Councils and housing associations. Local Councils and housing associations have
long waiting lists for accommodation and most insist you have been resident and
working in Cumbria for 12 months. They allocate housing depending on how many
„points‟ a person has. For further information contact your local Council offices (see
Appendix 2)

Private landlords

Private landlords normally rent property at the market rate. However some landlords
charge an excessive amount so you need to check.

Estate Agents are excellent places to look if you are thinking about renting. A studio
flat (which has a main room serving as a living room and a bedroom) is cheaper than
one with a separate bedroom.

Make sure you get a tenancy agreement and read it carefully before agreeing to it.
Many private landlords use an agent to manage their homes.

A private landlord will normally ask for a deposit, often equivalent to at least one
month‟s rent. You should make sure that the condition of the property and any items
of furniture are recorded in an inventory and the tenancy agreement states:

      how much the deposit is and who holds it.
      when money can be deducted from the deposit (for unpaid rent or damage to
      when you will get the deposit back

From April 2007 deposits will have to be held in one of two schemes set up by the
government. The purpose of the scheme is to safeguard tenants‟ deposits where
landlords wrongly withhold part or all of a deposit at the end of the tenancy and to
help resolve disputes.

A „tenancy agreement‟ explains the rules, and what help you can expect your
landlord to provide. Once you have signed it, you will have made an agreement to
look after the accommodation and to pay the rent on time. It is important that you
keep to any rules that you agreed to when you signed the tenancy agreement.

If you fall behind with the rent, your landlord may be able to evict you and make you
pay the rent you owe. If this happens seek advice from the Private Sector Housing
Team (Housing Enforcement Officer) at your local council or from Shelter.


Landlords are responsible for most repairs to the outside of a property. This means
that problems with the roof, chimneys, walls, guttering and drains are the
responsibility of the landlord. Landlords are also responsible for keeping the
equipment for supplying water, gas and electricity in safe working order. Under
legislation landlords have to ensure all gas appliances are in good working order and
a CORGI registered engineer carries out an annual safety check.

Tenants often have responsibility for some minor repairs and maintenance. This
usually relates to:

     internal decorations
     gardens
     furniture or equipment
     unblocking the sink
     replacing fuses
If your house requires repairs please contact your landlord or managing agent

Your legal rights

As the tenant you have rights which protect you from being improperly treated by
your landlord. If you think you are being unfairly treated, or your accommodation is
overcrowded, or if you are in dispute with your landlord, speak to a member of staff
at Cumbria Multi Cultural Service and/or visit your local Citizen‟s Advice Bureau (see
Appendix 3).

Paying your rent

If you are employed you will have to pay all your rent directly to your Landlord or the
Estate Agent.

If you are claiming benefits, then, depending on your income, you may have to pay
some money towards your rent and the Housing Benefit Office may pay the rest.

It is important that you check your entitlement to benefits before you make a claim as
that can affect your status on a later date.

Council tax

The rate of Council tax that you will pay depends on the size of the property.
Generally the larger the house the more you will have to pay. Different Councils
charge different amounts of Council Tax. If you fail to pay your Council Tax you may
be taken to court. You will need to register for Council tax at your local Council

Not causing a nuisance

Take care not to could upset or annoy your neighbours. Anti-social behaviour is a
legal reason for eviction, regardless of what kind of tenancy you have. Anti-social
behaviour can include:

      having the stereo or TV on too loudly

      not keeping pets under control
      allowing your children to be a nuisance
      leaving rubbish piled up
      making a lot of noise outside your home, or when you come in
      using the house for illegal activities, such as drug dealing

You should also not behave in an anti-social way towards your landlord. You are
responsible for the behaviour of everyone in your household and of anyone staying
with or visiting you.

Ending the tenancy

If you want to move out, it is important to end your tenancy correctly. You will be
liable for rent until you end your tenancy by giving the required notice to your
landlord or their agent. It may be possible to end your tenancy immediately if the
landlord accepts this (get their acceptance in writing), but you normally have to give
your landlord notice of up to one month.

Landlords have to follow set procedures to evict a tenant. In some circumstances
landlords have to explain why they want to evict a tenant, and these are detailed in
law. Sometimes landlords do not have to give reasons to get possession of their
property back. Notice to leave a property also depends on the type of tenancy you

A tenant cannot be evicted without a possession order from the courts, which the
landlord has to apply for.

While you are living in the house, the landlord must seek permission before entering.

This is only a brief guide. If you need further advice or assistance please contact
Cumbria Multi Cultural Service, Citizen Advice Bureau (see appendix 3) or your
local council office (see appendix 2).

                              DEALING WITH CRIME

To contact the Police when it is not an emergency, you can:

      Ring 0845 3300247. This will put you through to the local police station. This
       number can be dialled for crimes which occurred some time ago, general
       enquiries or if you would like to speak to a specific officer. Do not worry if you
       do not speak English. Police use a service called “Language line”. This is a
       three-way telephone call which will include an interpreter. If you want to speak
       to the police using this service ask for “Language Line” and remember to
       include which language you will require.
      Call in at any police station.
      Report an incident on the Cumbria Constabulary website –

The role of the police is to prevent and crime, and protect life and property. They
work closely with communities to ensure everyone‟s safety

The law in England is split into two, civil law and criminal law.

      Civil law covers areas such as unpaid debts, housing disputes.
      Criminal law covers offences such as burglaries, assault, theft, criminal

The police only deal with criminal law. You can get advice on civil law from Citizens
Advice Bureau or solicitors. They can also assist with problems such as anti-social
behaviour and juvenile nuisance.

Most areas also have a Police Community Support Officer (PCSO), who does not
have the full powers of a police officer, but who will still help you. You can get the
local PCSO‟s name and mobile telephone number from any police station.
Alternatively you can find out through the Cumbria Police website by typing in your postcode.

Hate crime

A Hate Crime is a criminal offence against another person or property because
of who they are. It can be physical or sexual assault, harassment, threats,
intimidation, taunts, abusive phone calls. They may be directed against another
person because the victim‟s race, religion/belief, gender, disability, sexuality or age.
Hate crime may also be aimed at people because of where they were born, where
they lived before coming to the UK, their ethnic background or even their language.

If you feel you have been specifically targeted because of your country of origin it is
important you tell the police. They must treat you equally irrespective of your country
of origin or background.

Police have dedicated Hate Crime units, but remember in an Emergency call 999 or
out of office hours call 0845 3300247. You can also report Hate Crime incidents at
several reporting centres, including Cumbria Multi Cultural Service outreach centres.

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence can be threatening behaviour, violence or abuse that takes place
between adults who are family members or intimate partners. The abuse can be
physical, sexual (such as rape or indecent assault), emotional or financial, or abuse
of power in a relationship where one partner maintains control over the other‟s

If you do not want to go to the police, there are other organisations in the area that
can help:

        Domestic Violence team in South Cumbria (SAFE Team) – 01229 838746
        Domestic Violence team in North Cumbria – 01768 892179
        Women’s Aid 24 hour helpline – 0808 2000 247
        Respect – 0845 122 8609
        Domestic Violence Support Service – 01900 842100

Anti social behaviour

Anti social behaviour is taken very seriously by the police. Examples of anti-social
behaviour include:

         Loud behaviour
         Intimidating groups in public
         Dumping rubbish and abandoning cars
         Begging
         Misuse of fireworks
         Drunkenness
         Abusive or aggressive behaviour

The police will deal with this in many ways. The police can give you advice on
specialist mediation services that can be used to resolve disputes.


The police take a firm stance on the abuse of drugs in local communities especially
the sale of illegal substances.

If you suspect anyone is involved in drug related crime, you can contact the police
anonymously at Crime stoppers on 0800 555111 - calls to this number are free.

Laws and information to be aware of

         It is an offence to buy alcohol for anyone under 18 years old.
         It is an offence to carry a knife, firearm, imitation firearm or other weapon in a
          public place.
         The age of consent for sexual intercourse in the UK is 16 years. Sexual
          relations with children below 16 is a very serious criminal offence.
         It is an offence to be drunk and disorderly in a public place.
         Police officers can stop and talk to you at any time, but they should only
          search you if they suspect you are carrying drugs, weapons, stolen property
          or anything that could be used to commit a crime. Before searching you they

       must normally tell you their name, the station they work at, why they chose
       you and what they are looking for. A record will be made of the search.

Victim of crime

If you are the victim of crime the police will ask you to make a statement. This will be
taken to a lawyer who will consider if anyone should be charged with a criminal
offence. It is possible that you may have to attend court. If this happens then you will
be given advice and help. If an interpreter is needed then they will attend court with
you. To learn more about the Crown Prosecution Service you can log on to the
website at

If you are arrested and charged with an offence it is important that you seek legal
advice as you may need a representative to assist you if you need to attend court.
The police will be able to give you further information about this. There is a scheme
whereby you can have initial legal advice free of charge.

Police Volunteer Scheme

The Police Volunteer scheme allows members of the community to get involved in
the work of the police.

Further information and application forms for Police Volunteers can be obtained by
contacting any police station on 0845 3300247.


                        Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service

The Fire Service in the UK is responsible for:-

      Fighting fires and protecting people and property from fire.
      Rescuing people from road traffic collisions.
      Dealing with other specific emergencies such as flooding.


      Promoting Fire Safety.

The Fire Service can be contacted in an emergency by calling 999 from any phone,
you will then be asked which service you require, and the choices are Police, Fire
Brigade, or Ambulance. These calls are free!

You can also contact Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service for non-emergency issues by
calling either

Fire Service HQ – 01900 822503
Free phone- 0800 358 4777

Or call at your local Fire Station.

                             HOME SAFETY ADVICE

Fires in the home kill people every year. Small fires are common, causing serious
injury and damage to property & possessions,

You can reduce the chances of a fire in your home by:

      Having a smoke alarm fitted (if you are in rented accommodation, ensure a
       smoke alarm is already fitted).
      Checking the smoke alarm weekly.
      Asking Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service will fit a smoke alarm, and carry out a
       full Home Safety Visit free of charge!
      Calling 0800 358 4777 for free, fitted smoke alarms.
      Making a fire plan so that everyone knows how to escape safely.
      Closing doors at night, so any fire is contained to a single room.
      Keeping the exits from your home clear to ensure people can escape quickly
       if there is a fire.
      Not overloading electric sockets. Remember one socket-one plug
      Not leaving the TV or any other electrical appliances on stand by, as this
       could cause a fire. Switch off when not in use.
      Ensuring cigarettes are stubbed out and disposed of carefully.
      Not smoking in bed.
      Keeping matches and lighters out of reach of children.
      Never leaving candles unattended & always using a proper candle holder.
      Taking care in the kitchen, especially when using hot oils.
      Not using a chip pan, but using a deep fat fryer instead.

                                IF YOU HAVE A FIRE

   Remember the Fire Service rule:

   1. GET OUT. As quickly and safely as possible.

   2. STAY OUT. Do not go back into your house.

   3. GET US OUT. Call 999, wait outside for the Fire Service

If you have any concerns over fire safety, call Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service and
we will carry out a free Home Safety Visit, fit smoke alarms and give fire safety
advice, FREE OF CHARGE!. Call 0800 358 4777

          Remember, Smoke Alarms save lives.


These steps will make your home safe from burglary:

   1. Safety locks, chains on doors and window locks make your home safer.

   2. Close every window when you go out. Never leaving a ladder lying around
      outside. If you can‟t store it inside, fix it to something secure with a padlock.

   3. Asking official visitors for their identity cards. If someone cannot produce an
      official card with a photograph, don‟t let them into your house.

   4. If going out at night close all the curtains and leave on a light.

   5. If you are leaving your home empty for more than two or three days arrange
      with your friends or neighbours to visit regularly and check your home.

   6. Think about insuring the contents of your home, especially if you have
      anything valuable. Insurance could save you money if you are broken into or if
      a flood or a burst water pipe damages your possessions.

                              SAFETY OF CHILDREN

1. Many parents ask for advice and assistance to help them care for their children.

Contact your local Children’s Centre, Health Visitor or school for advice on who to
talk to.

2. It is usual for parents to supervise their children when they are playing outside or
   doing things on their own.

Always make sure you know where your children are and that you are happy with the
arrangements if someone else is looking after them.

3. Never leave your children at home alone. If you are not available make sure they are in
   the care of a trustworthy adult.

Many parents who are new to the area find it difficult at first until they have got to
know their neighbours and made friends. Again your Children’s Centre or school
should be able to put you in touch with helpful people.

4. Young children are generally accompanied to school to make sure they get there safely.

Your child’s class teacher will usually be able to give you advice on what to do if this
is difficult for you.

5. Adults in your neighbourhood will generally be friendly and show kindness to your
   children but you should gently warn your child that they need to be careful.

We recommend that children don’t go with people they don’t know. Children must
never accept a car ride from anyone unless they have your permission

                                  GAS EMERGENCIES

    If you smell gas or detect a gas leak call National Grid Gas (responsible for the gas
    network) on 0800 111 999. National Grid Gas operates a round-the-clock, 365-days-
    a-year emergency service and will stop an escape anywhere, whether it is in the
    home or street, free of charge.

    If you smell gas

          DON'T smoke
          DON'T use naked flames
          DON'T turn electric switches on or off
          DO turn off the gas supply at the meter
          DO open doors and windows
          DO call the gas emergency service free on 0800 111 999

    Carbon monoxide

    Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that can kill. Appliances that use gas,
    can produce carbon monoxide if they have not been properly installed or regularly
    serviced. All such appliances should be in rooms or locations with adequate
    ventilation and/or flues.

    Gas Consumers' Council

    The Gas Consumers' Council recommends that a Council for Registered Gas
    Installers (CORGI) registered engineer should service gas appliances each year.

    Installing a carbon monoxide detector (similar to a smoke alarm) could save your life.
    You should also check any gas appliances for:

          Staining around the edge of or on the appliance
          A yellow or orange flame instead of the normal blue flame
          A strange smell when your appliance is working.

    If you suspect any of the above, call the gas emergency helpline, on 0800 111 999.

    For additional information:

          Council for Registered Gas Installers - CORGI
          To find your nearest CORGI registered installer call 01256 37 23 00.
          Energy watch - Gas and Electricity Consumer Council is an independent
           energy watchdog which can be contacted on 0121 455 0285

    For information about gas companies contact:

                         ELECTRICITY EMERGENCIES

What should you do if your electricity goes off?

Only check if it is only your electricity which is affected. If the problem is affecting
other people you can call the Emergency Help Line number. They will advise you.

Your local electricity distribution company is responsible for the power supply in your
area. In the event of a power cut that affects other houses or business in your area,
you should contact your local distribution company.

Check your trip switch if it is only your home or business that is affected. If your trip
switch is in the off position switch it back on. If it switches off again, one of your
electrical appliances may be faulty. To find out if this is the case, switch off all your
appliances, set the trip switch to the on position and switch on your appliances one
by one. If the trip switch goes off again then you have found the faulty appliance.

If you have a token meter check that you have not run out of credit.

If you have only lost part of your supply, there is probably something wrong with your
wiring. Contact your landlord or letting agent.

To report a fault with your electricity supply, ring:

Unitied Utilities on 0800 195 4141

                           USING YOUR TELEVISION


If you want to have a television in your house or flat, you must buy a licence. The
license lasts one year. If you buy your licence in the middle of the month, it will start
from the first day of that month. If you use a TV without a licence, you could be fined
up to a maximum of £1000.

There is a „Cash Easy Entry System‟ for people who cannot pay the full amount for a
licence. Details are available at your local Post Office.


How old do you have to be to drive in the UK?

      MOPED - 16 years old.
      AGRICULTURAL TRACTOR - 16 years old*
      CAR - 17 years old.
      MOTORCYCLE - 17 years old*
      LARGE MOTORCYCLE - 21 years old*

*Exceptions apply to most of the above.

To drive a vehicle in the UK you need a valid driving licence.

Using your own driving licence:

Anyone with a licence from the following list of countries below has permission to
drive cars and motorcycles in the UK, if they live in the UK are using their own
national driving licence.

      Austria, Greece, Poland, Belgium, Hungary, Portugal, Czech Republic,
       Ireland, Northern Ireland, Slovenia, Republic of Cyprus, Italy, Slovakia,
       Denmark, Latvia, Spain, Estonia, Lithuania, Sweden, Finland, Luxembourg,
       United Kingdom, France, Malta, Germany, Netherlands, Iceland, Lichtenstein
       and Norway.

Once resident, can drive on his or her own full licence until they reach 70
years old or for 3 years, whichever is the LONGER. The driver MUST then apply to
exchange their licence for a full UK licence but they can choose to
exchange it at any time before it expires.

Anyone from the following list of countries can drive up to 12 months in the UK from
the date they become a UK resident. After 12 months they must get a full UK driving

      Barbados, New Zealand, British Virgin Islands, Republic of Korea, Canada,
       Singapore, Falkland Islands, South Africa, Hong Kong, Switzerland, Japan,
       Zimbabwe, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man

Anyone from any other country can use their driving licence for 12 months. After that
they must apply for a UK provisional licence and pass a UK driving test before the
end of the 12 months to continue to drive.

Notes:If driving on a UK provisional licence during the 12 month period covered by
their own national licence they are not required to display 'L' plates, do not need to
be supervised and are not prohibited from driving on motorways. If after 12 months
they hold a UK provisional licence, but they have not passed a UK driving test they
revert to standard provisional licence conditions within DVLA requirements.

Contact - Driver and Vehicle Licensing agency (DVLA), Swansea SA6 7JL Tel:
0870 240 0009, or

Car Registration Documents:

If you buy and own a car in this country you must register it with the Driver and
Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). If you bring a vehicle registered in your home
county to the UK you will have to register it after 12 months from the date of entry
into the UK with the DVLA (details as above). The Local Vehicle Registration Office
(LVRO) is 3, Merchants Drive, Parkhouse, Carlisle Tel 0870 850 0007.

It is an offence to fail to register or tax your vehicle.

Car Tax disc:

Your car must have a current tax disc (Excise licence) displaying the registration
number for that vehicle. These can be purchased at larger post offices and can be
valid for either 6 or 12 months. If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle a
renewal form will be sent out to you automatically. You will be fined if you fail to tax
the vehicle or declare it off the road. Your car could also be towed away if a valid tax
disc is not displayed in the front windscreen.
It is an offence to fail to register or tax your vehicle.

To obtain a Tax Disc you must produce valid certificates of insurance and MOT
(*vehicle over 3 years old from the date of the first registration, other conditions may


Once your vehicle is 3 years old (three years from the date of registration) it will also
need to be examined by an authorised vehicle examiner and issued with a test
certificate (MOT), which is valid for 12 months. A list of MOT testing stations can be
found in the yellow pages telephone directory or Contact your nearest garage and
ask for advice.

It is an offence to fail to have a current MOT for a vehicle over 3 years of age.

Car insurance:

All vehicles require valid insurance. Every person who drives a vehicle in the UK
must have at least a “Third Party” insurance policy. This means that in an accident,
any claims against you will be dealt with and paid by the insurance company.
Fully comprehensive insurance will also pay for any damage to your own vehicle.
Insurance policies normally state the name of the person who is insured to drive the
vehicle. If others are likely to drive your vehicle it is your responsibility to ensure they
are named as a driver on that insurance policy, they must hold insurance to drive
other vehicles. Vehicles may be towed away if the driver has no insurance. If the
owner/driver fails to produce insurance within 7 days, the vehicle is crushed.

It is an offence to drive a motor vehicle when the level of alcohol in your
breath, blood or urine exceeds the legal limit.

There are no safe guidelines as to how much you can drink and stay under the legal
limit. Only a very small amount could put you over the limit. The only safe guide is
DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE. Some medicines can affect your driving, read

instruction leaflets carefully; it is the same offence as driving under the influence of
alcohol or drugs.

Being convicted of a drink/driving offence will lead to an automatic
disqualification from driving and a heavy fine or imprisonment.

Your vehicle:

It is an offence to drive a vehicle in such a condition as to cause danger to other road
users. It is an offence to drive with defective brakes, steering, seatbelts, lights,
indicators or too many passengers for that class of vehicle. Tyres must have a
minimum of 1.6mm tread depth across the central ¾ of the tyre width.

Should you bring to the UK your own vehicle that is registered in your home country,
after 12 months from entry into the UK it will have to be registered with the DVLA.

Your driving:

It is an offence to:
      Drive without due care and attention or dangerously.
      Use a mobile phone while driving.
      Not wear seatbelts (drivers and passengers).
      Exceed the speed limit.
      Not to comply with a traffic sign, lights or police officer on traffic control duties.
      Park a vehicle so that it causes a danger to other road users.
      Stop within the zig-zag area of a pedestrian crossing or on the crossing itself.
      Fail to stop if asked by the police.

Learner Car Drivers must:

      Be 17 years old and have a provisional driving license.
      Be accompanied by a person over 21 years old who has held a full driving
       licence for 3 years.

The car you drive must:

      Clearly display L plates at the front and rear of the car.
      Be taxed.
      Have an MOT
      Be road worthy and
      Be insured

Police powers:

Police can stop any vehicle and examine the driver‟s driving licence, insurance
certificate and MOT. If you do not have your documents on you, you will be given 7
days to show them at any police station.

Should a legal document/ letter be sent to you from the Police or Court Services, DO
NOT ignore it as it may have details of your appearance at court, how to obtain legal
advice, how to pay a fine or other important information. If you ignore this document
you could get a higher fine, be arrested or imprisoned.

Road accidents

If you are involved in an accident you must stop. If there is damage to other vehicles
or property you must give

      Your name and address
      The name and address of the owner of the car if different
      The car registration number

If anyone is injured you must give details of your insurance. If you cannot do this,
you MUST report the accident to a police officer as soon as possible or within 24

It is an offence to fail to stop or give details following a road traffic accident.

Speed limits:
The speed limit is:
      70 mph on motorways (112 kph)
      70mph on dual carriageways
      30mph in built up areas (approximately 48kph) unless otherwise stated by the
       visible repeater signs.
       60mph on other roads (exceptions apply with regards the class of vehicle, eg
       Large goods vehicles and vans)

Fixed penalty notices will be sent automatically to the registered keepers of vehicles
captured exceeding the speed limit. If you were not driving the vehicle you have to
say who was the driver at the time.

The speed limit where National speed limit signs are displayed is 60mph or 70mph
on dual carriageways.


Double yellow lines along a road indicate there is NO parking allowed in this area.
These will be accompanied with nearby signs indicating there is no parking “At any

A single yellow line indicates no parking at certain times; the nearby
signs will indicate when you are NOT allowed to park there.

Dotted yellow lines or white bays allow parking for limited periods; the
accompanying signs will state how long this can be for.

Full explanations of all road signs can be found in the Highway Code, which can be
bought in bookshops or borrowed from libraries.

                               Transport & Travel


When you travel by bus you will be expected to pay the driver as you get on. The
destination of the bus is usually displayed at the front of the vehicle. Bus timetable
leaflets are available at bus stations and at your local library or Tourist Information
Centres. Bus times are displayed at the Bus stops.

Contact details below for Stagecoach North West, who are the main commercial bus
service operator in Cumbria.

Stagecoach North West Area Office
Broadacre House
16-20 Lowther Street
Carlisle CA3 8DA

Tel: (01228) 597222

Alternatively you can call Traveline on 0870 608 2608 for information.


Timetables and further information for local services can be obtained from the
following websites:

Northern Rail : tel. 0845 000 0125
Virgin Trains : tel. 08457 222 333
National Rail : tel. 08457 48 49 50
Transpennine Express :

Information about Railcards and how you could save 1/3 on rail fares go to, tel. 08457 48 49 50.

Airports              Tel. 0161 489 3000           Tel. 08700 273 777                 Tel. 0870 129 8484         Tel. 0870 122 1488                   Tel. 0870 040 0008


A National Insurance Number (NI) is a personal number used to record a person‟s NI
contributions and credited contributions. It is needed when claiming social security

A NI number should only be given to one person and must only be used by that

Every person resident in Britain who is 16 years and over can have a personal
National Insurance number.

There is a process of checks you need to go through when you apply for a National
Insurance Number.

Your employer should help you get a National Insurance Number, or you can ring
0845 600 0643.

Then go at Job Centre Plus and make a phone call to the National Insurance
Number (NINO) department to arrange an appointment. The adviser at the NINO
department will explain to you what documents you need for your interview.

Make a note of your National Insurance number; you will need it if you need to claim
benefits. Your employer will want to have details of your National Insurance Number.


To work in the UK you must have a full EU/EEA passport or National Identify
card of one of the Member states of the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

Workers from the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania,
Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia (otherwise known as the 8 Accession
countries) can work in the UK if they register under the Workers Registration

This applies if you:

      started a new job since 1 May 2004
      were working in the UK before 1 May 2004 without authorisation
      are working on a short term or temporary basis
      are a student who is also working

You can get an application form and further information from:

Once you have been working legally in the UK for 12 months, without
interruption, you can obtain full free movement rights and will be able to
obtain an EEA residence permit confirming your status.

You can get a form to apply for EEA residence from:

If you change jobs, you will need to renew your registration with the Workers
Registration Scheme, using the WRS forms, but this will be at no cost.


Most workers have a basis 37 or 40 hour working week, with a minimum of 4
weeks annual leave entitlement.

Your employer should give you rest breaks and put limits on your working

 You must have at least a 20 minute break if your shift is longer than 6
 You must have 11 consecutive hours not at work during a 24 hour period
 You should not have to work more than 48 hours in a week
 You should get at least 1 day off in a week
 You should have paid holiday leave

People paid on piece work are paid for the amount of work they do, and
therefore the rules are different for this kind of work. Full details of working
time regulations can be found at:

Your employer should not:

       Keep your passport (they can only take a copy for their records).
       Take money from your pay for your food.

National Minimum Wage

In the UK the law says that you are entitled to a certain amount of wage for
the work you do. The figures are due to change, and depends on how old
you are, and the work you do (agricultural work has different set minimum

Contact the National Minimum Wage helpline on: 0845 600 0678.

Trade Unions

British Trade Unions will represent migrant workers. The Trades Union
Congress (TUC) represents all the Trades Unions

Unions can help in providing learning and skills training, including English
courses. The following is a list of Unions covering different areas of work:

   Unison – public services – this is the largest union
   Amicus –manufacturing, finance, health, printing
   TGWU – transport, food and drink, hotels and manufacturing
   GMB – manufacturing, food and drink, tourism and public services
   UCATT – construction work
   USDAW – food and drink, shops and distribution work

If you think you are being exploited report it


Anti-terrorist measures have placed strict controls on banks. It can take several
weeks to open a bank account in Britain.

There are several different types of bank account; the main ones are Current and
Savings accounts.

Current accounts are more flexible and you will probably need this type for an
employer to pay your wages directly into your account.

Savings accounts are for saving money, they usually pay higher interest than current
accounts. Access to certain types of savings accounts is sometimes limited and you
need to give your bank notice to get your money out.

Along with your bank account you can also have a Cash Point Card; you can use
this card to take your money from most cash machines. With your card you will have
a personal identification number, PIN, this number should be kept safe and not given
to anyone else.

If you lose your Cash Point Card you should notify your bank or Building society

Direct debits and standing orders are automatic banking systems for paying rent and
bills. Many estate agents automatically take the rent from your bank account. You
can also set up direct debits for all your bills such as water, electricity, telephone and
gas on a monthly or quarterly basis.

To open a Bank or Building society account you will need to complete an application
form, which you can get from the bank. Usually they will need two forms of
identification and a few other relevant documents (for instance a utilities bill showing
your address).

If you have problems opening a Bank or Building Society account ask the staff at the
Cumbria Multi Cultural Service to help you.

Some banks, for example, Natwest, have produced leaflets in Polish, and are
offering a particular type of account for the Polish population in the UK.

Leaflets are available from Natwest Banks, or Cumbria Multi-Cultural Service
outreach facilties.

                    MONEY ISSUES AND UK CURRENCY

If you are worried about paying for your bills – seek advice.

Contact Cumbria Multi Cultural Service staff, at any of the drop-in centres listed at
the front of this booklet, or make an appointment with staff at the local Citizen Advice
Bureau (see Appendix 3 at the back of this booklet)

Do not ignore letters or bills, if you are not sure what they refer to; ask a friend,
teacher or other people who you trust to explain them to you.


The UK still has its own currency.

£1 (one pound) is made up of 100 pence

Coins in circulation are:

£2, £1, 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p, 2p, and 1p.

Notes in circulation are:

£50, £20, £10, and £5

                                   HEALTH ISSUES

Healthcare is available free through the National Health Service (NHS). If you are
feeling unwell or if you have a general health enquiry, NHS Direct staff can help –
telephone 0845 4647. It is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. An interpreter
service is available if needed – please ask.

Local Doctors (or GPs)

If you are new to the area and do not have a doctor you will need to register with one
as soon as possible. They also deal with a range of health problems, give
vaccinations, provide health education and advice on smoking, diet, and
contraception and carry out simple operations.
If your condition is non-urgent, you can expect to see a doctor within two working
days or a health professional such as a nurse within one working day. It is important
to attend for appointments, or notify the surgery if you have to cancel or change it.

Registering with a GP

Before you can see a doctor you must register with a local surgery. To register you
will need to give your name, date of birth, address and telephone number if you have

To find a doctor‟s surgery in your area ring 01772 221305 or

Otherwise you may ring 01772 221305 or 01772 221343, asking for “Doctor
registration” and you will be given a list of doctors to contact.

Everyone in your family will need to be registered before they can be seen and
registration is free.

It is important that you register your children with a doctor. If you are able to, please
bring a record of the immunisations your children have had.

Some GPs ask all new patients to have a health check. A nurse will usually carry
this out. It is important that you go to this appointment even if you are well.

If a practice will not register you, you can contact the Patient Advice & Liaison
Service (PALS) (see Appendix 5 at the back of this booklet)

Services for Visitors or Temporary Residents

A UK resident away from home in any part of the country can register with a GP for
up to three months as a temporary resident.

If you are an overseas visitor,          more    information   can   be   found    at


Local doctor‟s surgeries (GP practices) hold clinics that provide a wide range of
family health services: - advice on health problems, vaccinations, examinations &
treatment, prescriptions for medicines; referrals to other health services and social
Visit to find your local clinic.

Dental and Optical Treatment

For advice and information on all dental and optical related enquiries in Cumbria
Primary Care Trust area, telephone NHS Direct on 0845 46 47. Telephoning this
service will provide access to emergency or urgent dental treatment as well as
routine dentistry, or log on to their website at:

www.nhsdirect.nhs/uk/LocalServices/LocalServices.aspx (Available in alternative

      10 simple tips to help you stay healthy.

      Don't smoke and don't breathe others' tobacco smoke.
1     If you need help to give up, call the Local Smoking
      Helpline on 01524 845145.

      Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each
      day. Cut down on fat, salt and added sugar.
      Be physically active for at least 30 minutes,
3     5 days a week.

      Maintain, or aim for, a healthy weight (BMI* 20 -25).
      If you drink alcohol, have no more than 2-3 units a
5     day (women) or 3-4 units a day (men).


      Protect yourself from the sun. Cover up, keep in the
      shade, never burn and use factor 15 plus sunscreen. Take
21.   extra care to protect young children



Education is free and compulsory for all 5-16 year olds. Your children can attend
schools as long as they are in Britain as your dependents. Education is compulsory,
but school is not, as children can be educated at home.

Children start school the September following their fourth birthday and stay until they
are at least 16.

About 94% of pupils in Britain receive free education. All government-run schools
follow the National Curriculum.

Under the National curriculum there are four Key Stages which are:

      Key Stage 1: 5 to 7 years old
      Key Stage 2: 7 to 11 years old
      Key Stage 3: 11 to 14 years old
      Key Stage 4: 14 to 16 years old

Corporal punishment was abolished in state schools in 1986.

In Cumbria children are usually placed in the school within the 'catchment area' (that
is, the locality closest to where you live). If possible choose your area of residence
carefully and check that the schools in the catchment area are what you want for
your child. You can visit the local schools and talk to neighbours who have children.

Some schools are oversubscribed so there is no guarantee that your child will have
access to your first choice school.


Cumbria Multicultural Service may be able to help you to register your children in
schools in the area you are moving to.

All schools have access to specialist teaching support from Cumbria Children‟s
Services, for children who are learning English as an additional language.

Provision for children under five

Each child is entitled to up to six terms of free nursery education before they reach
statutory school age (the term after their fifth birthday). The Nursery Education Grant
pays for five 2½ hour sessions a week starting the term following your child's 3rd
birthday. A child will usually receive nursery education for 33 weeks a year divided
into three eleven week terms.

You can use any of the types of provider listed below as long as they have passed
an assessment visit from a local authority officer which allows them to claim the
Nursery Education Grant.

 Nursery attached to a school
 Nursery school
 Pre-school group
 Day nursery
 Independent or private nursery school
 Approved childminder network

For details of nursery providers in Cumbria ring the Children's Information
Service 01228 606999 or 601171 or 606930 or 601198

Some nursery providers offer breakfast clubs, lunch clubs, extra sessions and after
school clubs. This care is not part of the free nursery education provision, so there
will be a charge.

There are also usually Toddlers groups and Play Groups which take children from
about 2. Parents have to pay a small amount per session for these.

The average cost of full-time day care is £150 a week per child. It could be more
depending on the age of the child.

Primary education

Children in Cumbria can begin their full-time primary education by entering a
Reception class the September following their fourth birthday. Children entering
Reception at a primary school can stay there until they are 11. Children attending an
infant school, transfer to a junior or primary school at the age of 7. Children transfer
to secondary school the September following their eleventh birthday.

All primary schools teach the following 12 subjects: maths (numeracy), English
(literacy), science, history, geography, art, design technology (DT), information and
communication technology (ICT), music, physical education (PE) and Personal,
social and health education (PSHE). In every school there is a program of religious
education (RE), which must respect a wide variety of religious beliefs although
parents can choose to withdraw their children. Many primary schools teach a
modern foreign language.

Children are tested using national tests (called SATS) when they are 7 and again
when they are 11.

Secondary Education

Children attend secondary school between ages of 11 and 16 years, when they take
examinations called the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE).

At Key Stage 3 the following 15 subjects are compulsory: English, maths, science,
history, geography, art, DT, music, ICT, PE, citizenship, RE, modern foreign
language (MFL), sex education, careers education. PSHE is non-statutory.

At Key Stage 4 the following 10 subjects are compulsory: English, maths, science,
ICT, PE, citizenship, RE, sex education, careers education and work-related
learning. The arts, design and technology, the humanities and modern foreign
languages are entitlement areas at Key Stage 4 which means schools must make
courses available to all students who wish to study them.
All schools must provide RE for all pupils so they can learn about and from the 6
main religions in the UK, although parents can choose to withdraw their children from
this subject.

GCSEs are based on the national curriculum. There is a seven point grading scale
from A, the highest grade, to G. There is also an A* grade for outstanding papers.

When they are 16 years old pupils may either leave school to start a job, or continue
their education. Those pupils who want to continue their education can either go to a
further education college for vocational courses or stay on in the sixth form of the
secondary school. In either place they can take Advanced-level examinations (A
levels) after two-year courses in three or four subjects. A levels are used to select
students for university places. They are graded on a seven-point scale from A to E
with N as a narrow failure and U as unclassified. The Advanced Supplementary level
(AS-level), corresponds to about half an A-level course and is graded A to E.

Further Education

At the age of 16, students can go to a Further Education College. Courses may be
free, but this varies according to college, course and personal circumstance. People
over 19 usually have to pay some fees. Check with the Further Education College.

Many students at Further Education College study on part-time courses or day-
release or block release. Day-release means that they are freed from their jobs for
part of a day or sometimes several days a week to study - so they study and work at
the same time.

Block-release is when people are freed from their jobs completely for a period of time
to enable them to study. The qualifications obtained are National Vocational
Qualifications (NVQs) and other examinations concerned with practical and
professional competence.

Higher Education

Higher education consists of degree courses, or their equivalent, usually given at a
university. There are at present 88 universities in Britain including one devoted
entirely to distance learning (the Open University). Currently Cumbria does not have
a university but there are plans for one to be developed.

The minimum requirement for entry to university is 2 passes at A level, but
qualifications obtained in another country may be acceptable if they are assessed as
equivalent to A level. People with uncompleted university studies may be accepted
on similar courses in Britain with an allowance made for studies already undertaken
and a consequent reduction in the length of course.

If you want to apply for a university place to do a first degree course you have to do
so through the University and Colleges Admission Services (UCAS). UCAS sends
the forms on to the universities you have applied for. The universities themselves
choose which students they will have. If you are accepted by your first choice the
process stops. If not, UCAS send your form on to your second choice, and so on.
What you are offered by the university, sometimes after an interview, is a provisional
place. Not everyone gets the grades they need to take up their places and just after
the A-level results come out in August there is a special service to help would-be
students find places and university departments find students.

In 1998 universities started to charge tuition fees and student grants were abolished
by the Government and replaced by student loans, administered by banks with the

interest rate linked to inflation. Recently there has been a move to bring back a
system of grants.

For a course leading to a first degree financial help may be available to people who
have lived in Britain for at least 3 years. This help may cover course fees and part of
your living costs. Special loans are also available to students.

People with degrees and diplomas from universities in other countries can contact
The World University service. Telephone 0171 426 5801.

Adult Education

In Cumbria there are Adult Education classes for adults who wish to continue or
resume their education. Some classes are vocational and other classes are
recreational. Classes are also available for people who wish to learn English as an
Additional Language.

Fees are usually charged for such courses, but generally there are reductions for
those on income support. This booklet cannot cover all situations and you should
check details with your local college or ask your advice worker.

Pupils with special needs

For pupils with physical or learning difficulties Cumbria has 5 „Special schools‟ with
specially trained staff. Specialists admit children to such schools after assessment.
Extra help may be provided so that pupils are able to attend an ordinary school.

School Meals

All schools provide meals in the middle of the day. Children whose parents are on
Income Support can have free meals. Ask the school office for an application form.

Transport to School

Free transport to school is provided if the nearest school is more than two miles
away from home for children younger than 8 years or 3 miles away from home for
child over 8.

School Uniform

In some schools pupils have to wear a school uniform. If this causes you financial
hardship you may be eligible for some help with the cost. Do not hesitate to ask the
school, or to get someone to do so, on your behalf.


A benefit is the general term used to describe cash payments made to people with
low or no income.

The Benefits agency has local offices around Cumbria that process claims and
makes payments. You will have to go to your Benefits Agency office to make a claim
for benefits. In some cases staff there may refer you to your local Job Centre.

Your local Citizen Advice Bureau can help understand your rights on claiming Grants
and Welfare Benefits (see Appendix 3).

The main Welfare Benefits are:

      Income Support
      Income based Jobseekers Allowance
      Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit
      Child Benefit
      Social Fund
      Disability Living Allowance
      Attendance Allowance
      Invalid Care Allowance

See Appendix 3 for details of Cumbria Citizen Advice Bureau centres

                                  POST OFFICES

At local post offices you can:

      Buy postage stamps and send letters and parcels abroad
      Buy travel insurance
      Buy/exchange Foreign currency
      Make money transfers
      Pay bills
      Buy saving stamps
      Obtain HomePhone cards and other phonecards
      Buy mobile top-ups
      Buy postal orders
      Seek mail advice
      Receive mail using “PO box numbers”

Forms available in most Post Offices include:

      Vehicle tax - MVL
      Driving licences
      International driving permits
      Passports
      Driving licence
      Vehicle tax - MVL
      International driving permits
      Medical care abroad - EHIC

                         PUBLIC TELEPHONE BOXES

Usually you pay for the telephone call by putting coins into a slot on the telephone,
by entering a payment code on the telephone's keypad, or by using a telephone
card. Coin-operated phones usually take the money before the call is made, and
return it if there is no answer on the receiving end.

Some pay phones have a card reader that allows a caller to make payment with a
credit card. A caller without any money may ask the phone company's operator
check if the recipient is willing to make payment for the call; this is known as
"reversing the charges" or "calling collect".

It is also possible to place a call to a phone booth if the intended recipient is known
to be waiting at the booth, however not all phone booths allow incoming calls.

                            USING LOCAL LIBRARIES

Borrowing books and multimedia, accessing information and lifelong learning, or
delving into the rich cultural and historical heritage of Cumbria - it's all part of the
extensive Library and Archive Service.

There are 53 libraries throughout the County plus a fleet of mobile libraries. You can
also visit the library on-line to find out what's in stock, to request items to borrow or to
renew titles that you already have out on loan. The Library Service isn't just about
books - if you'd rather go more hi-tech, you can book a slot on one of our PCs to surf
the internet, or borrow computer games, DVDs, videos, talking books and CDs
through your local library.

You can join the library for FREE.

You may also access the internet at your local library.

For further details go to: or ask at Cumbria
Multi Cultural Service outreach facilties (at the front of this booklet) for help
in accessing your local library.

                            PLACES OF WORSHIP

You would be very welcome at all church services held in the County.

Polish Church:

There is a regular Polish Mass at Our Lady‟s, Carlisle, at 5.30 pm on the first Sunday
of every month.

There are occasional Polish masses held at:

      Kendal              (Tel. 01539 720063 for further information)

      Penrith             (Tel. 01768 862273 for further information)

      Windermere          (Tel. 015394 43402 for further information)

Information about all Polish masses in Cumbria can be obtained from Father Marian
Jachym (01524 39820) and on the website:

Roman Catholic Services:

There are regular Roman Catholic Services in all the following places:

Alston              Ambleside            Barrow              Brampton
Burgh by Sands      Carlisle             Cleator             Cockermouth
Coniston            Dalston              Dalton              Egremont
Flookburgh          Frizington           Glenridding         Grange
Grasmere            Hawkshead            Kendal              Keswick
Kirkby Lonsdale     Kirkby Stephen       Longtown            Maryport
Millom              Penrith              Seascale            Sedbergh
Shap                Silloth              Staveley            Ulverston
Warwick Bridge      Whitehaven           Wigton              Windermere


Cumbria County Council‟s Children‟s Information Service holds details about a wide
range of provision for children and families in Cumbria.

Call 08457 125 737 for instant access to information about:

     childminders
     day nurseries
     parent and toddler groups
     pre-school groups
     the nursery education entitlement
     nursery education providers
     out of school clubs
     holiday playschemes
     support and advice groups
     children‟s activities
     financial help available
     registered child care providers

This service is free

The Children’s Information Service
Cumbria Sure Start
Children’s Services
80 Warwick Road
Cumbria CA1 1DU

Telephone: 08457 125 737

See Appendix 6 for Sure Start centres in Cumbria.


ESOL classes are available throughout Cumbria.

Many are held in Community Centres, Colleges, Schools, Libraries, and in
many other places.

For a list of classes in your area, please contact Cumbria Multi-Cultural
Service outreach centres, or your local College or Library.


Map of Cumbria

                                      APPENDIX 2

                          District and Borough Councils

There are 6 District/Borough Councils in Cumbria, please see contact details below:

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House
Workington, CA14 3YJ
Phone: 01900-326333

Barrow Borough Council
Town Hall
Duke Street
Barrow-in-Furness, LA14 2LD
Phone: 01229-894900

Carlisle City Council
Civic Centre
Phone: 01228-817000

Copeland Borough Council
Catherine Street
Whitehaven, CA28 7NY
Phone: 01946-852585

Eden District Council
Town Hall
Penrith, CA11 7QF
Phone: 01768-817817

South Lakeland District Council
South Lakeland House
Lowther Street
Kendal, LA9 4DL
Phone: 01539-733333

                                  APPENDIX 3


              The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money
              and other problems by providing free information and advice.

Get advice online now from for practical, reliable, up-to-
date CAB information in English, Welsh, Bengali, Chinese, Gujarati, Punjabi and
Urdu on a wide range of topics.

Please note some bureaux can only give advice to people living or working in a
certain area. Please check with the bureau that they are able to help you.

ALSTON:                         The Town Hall, Alston,
                                Link to map

AMBLESIDE:                      The Old Court House, Church Road, Ambleside
                                Tel: 015394 33919
                                Link to map

APPLEBY-IN-WESTMORLAND: Health Centre, Low Wiend, Appleby-in-
                        Link to map

BARROW-IN-FURNESS               Ramsden Hall, Abbey Road, Barrow,
                                Tel: 0870 1264016
                                Tel: 01229 840299 - Welfare benefits
                                Tel: 01229 831715 - Money advice
                                Link to map

CARLISLE:                       5-6 Old Post Office Court, Carlisle, CA3 8LE
                                Tel: 01228 633900 or 01228 633909
                                Link to map

CLEATOR MOOR:                   Town Council Offices, The Square, Cleator Moor
                                Link to map

COCKERMOUTH:                    The Library, Main Street, Cockermouth
                                Link to map

EGREMONT:                       9 Market Place, Egremont, CA22 2AE
                                Link to map

GRANGE:                         Hampsfell Road, Grange over Sands LA11 6DZ
                                Tel: 015395 33100
                                Link to map

KENDAL:                         Blackhall Road, Kendal, LA9 4BT
                                Tel: 0870 126 4061
                          Link to map

KESWICK:                  Heads Lane, Keswick, CA12 5HF
                          Tel: 017687 73472
                          Link to map

MARYPORT:                 Selby Terrace, Maryport, CA15 6NF
                          Link to map

MILLOM                    Advice Buildings, St. Georges Road, Millom
                          Tel: 01229 772395
                          Link to map

PENRITH:                  2 Sandgate, Penrith, CA11 7TP
                          Tel: 01768 863564
                          Link to map

ULVERSTON:                Town Hall Annexe, Theatre Street, Ulverston
                          Tel: 01229 585585
                          Link to map

WHITEHAVEN:               Tangier Buildings, Gregg‟s Lane, Whitehaven
                          Tel: 01946 693321
                          Link to map

WIGTON:                   20 High Street, Wigton, CA7 9NJ
                          Tel: 016973 440206
                          Link to map

WINDERMERE:               Cumbria Rural CAB
                          The Library, Ellerthwaite Road, Windermere
                          Tel: 015394 46464
                          Link to map

WORKINGTON:               Vulcans Lane, Workington, CA14 2BT
                          Tel: 01900 604735
                          Link to map


Barrow in Furness   Furness General Hospital
                    Dalton Lane
                    Barrow in Furness, LA14 4LF

                    Tel 01229 870870

Carlisle            Cumberland Infirmary
                    Newtown Road
                    Carlisle CA2 7HY

                    Tel 01228 523444

Kendal              Westmorland General Hospital
                    Burton Road
                    Kendal, LA9 7RG

                    Tel 01539 732288

Whitehaven          West Cumberland Hospital
                    Whitehaven CA28 8JG

                    Tel 01946 693181

                           APPENDIX 5

          Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS)

PALS (South of the county ie. Barrow/S Lakes Hospitals Trust/PCT)
                   (but not the Ambulance Trust)
                        Tel: 01539 795497

          PALS North Cumbria Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
                       Tel: 01228 814008

                   PALS (North of the county - PCT)
                     Tel: 01228 603537 (Carlisle)
                    Tel: 01900 705005 (W Coast)

             PALS (Cumbria Partnership - mental health)
                       Tel: 01228 602857

Some of the above can arrange Language Line interpretation service.

                        Help with Health Costs

  Certain people may quality for assistance with travel to/from hospital,
                       prescriptions costs etc)

                     Tel: 08701 555 455 for details.

                              APPENDIX 6

West Allerdale Sure Start Children’s Centre

For further information and to get involved ring 01900 819190, email or look at our website

Workington Sure Start Children's Centre

Workington Children's centre, The Minto Centre, Nilsson Drive, Westfield,
Workington, CA14 5BU. Telephone 01900 73699

North Allerdale Sure Start Children's Centre

North Allerdale Children's Centre covers a large rural area in the north of Cumbria.
This area contains many villages and the towns of Aspatria, Silloth and Wigton.

North Allerdale Children's Centre, Unit 1 B&C George Moore Estate, Fletchertown,
Aspatria, CA7 1BA, Tel. 016973 71741

Whitehaven Sure Start Children’s Centre

Howgill Family Centre is situated at 14 - 15 Howgill St, Whitehaven

Carlisle West Sure Start Children’s Centre

Carlisle West Children‟s Centre is being developed to provide a range of services for
children under 5 and their families.

It is situated in the area to the West of Carlisle City and is a „virtual‟ Children‟s
Centre, meaning that assistance to families is provided from several local buildings

Information about accessing Carlisle West Children‟s Centre services is available
from any of the following:-

The Living Well Trust, 19-23 Shady Grove Road, Carlisle, CA2 7LE
Tel: 01228 599426        Email:

Play Raffles, 226-228 Raffles Avenue, Carlisle, CA2 7EG
Tel: 01228 510611       Email:

Newtown Community Primary School,
Newtown Road, Carlisle, CA2 7LW.
Tel: 01228 607551 E mail; admin@newtown, Website;

First Steps Day Nursery at Newtown Community Primary School,
Newtown Road, Carlisle, CA2 7LW.
Tel: 01228 522249

Botcherby Family Centre,
Ennerdale Avenue, Carlisle, CA1 2TS.
Tel: 01228 607184
Central Clinic, 50 Victoria Place, Carlisle, CA1 1HP
Tel: 01228 603200

Carlisle South Sure Start Children’s Centre

To find out more about what Sure Start can offer, please contact

Sure Start Carlisle South
Petteril Bank School
Burnett Road

Telephone (01228) 625937

Longtown and Bewcastle Sure Start Children’s Centre

Tel: 01228 792 130

Barrow Greengate Sure Start Children’s Centre

Sure Start Children‟s Centre, Greengate Street, Barrow in Furness

Tel: 01229 820049 or alternatively call Sure Start Barrow on 01229 871480

Barrow - Bram Longstaffe Sure Start Children’s Centre

For further information please telephone the Bram Longstaffe Children‟s Centre on
01229 894638 or email

Bram Longstaffe Children‟s Centre, Farm Street, Barrow in Furness

Barrow - Hindpool Nursery School and Children’s Centre Activities

South Lakeland - Middle Eden Sure Start Children's Centre

Milnthorpe Sure Start Children’s Centre

Please contact Mary Salter on 015395 64896 or

The Lakes Sure Start Children’s Centre

Please contact: Stephen McQueen on 07725760570

                                   APPENDIX 7


Shelter is an charitable organisation which offers specialist housing advice and

                              Your local Shelter office is:
Address: Shelter Cumbria Housing Aid Centre. 10 Kent Street, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4AT

How to contact:   Drop-in, phone, write or email:
Telephone: 0844 515 1945
Fax: 0844 515 2908

Opening hours:

Monday: 10-1 TEL ADVICE, 2-4 APPTS
Tuesday: 10-1 TEL ADVICE, 2-4 APPTS
Wednesday: 10-1 TEL ADVICE, 2-4 APPTS
Thursday: 10-1 TEL ADVICE,2-4 APPTS
Friday: 10-1 TEL ADVICE, 2-4 APPTS
Weekends: Closed

You can also obtain independent advice from the following places:

Carlisle Community Law Centre
8 Spencer Street, Carlisle, CA1 1BG.
Tel: 01228 515129
Legal advice, information and representation and advice on housing & employment,

DiGS (Deposit Guarantee Scheme) Cumbria
Tangier Buildings, Gregg's Lane, Whitehaven, CA28 7UH.
Tel. 01946 696347
Provide deposit guarantees to people on a low income, to enable them to access
private rented accommodation.

                                          APPENDIX 8
                            EMPLOYMENT WEBSITES


If you need to check how your qualifications compare with UK qualifications in the
UK, contact NARIC on 0870 990 4088, or go to A letter confirming
the equivalency of your qualifications costs around £30. If you want information only,
telephone British Council Information Line on 0161 957 7755 and they can search
the NARIC database for you.

Looking for work:

You can find work in Cumbria by applying direct to employers, contacting private
employment agencies and by visiting Jobcentre Plus or Job Centres.

You can access Jobcentre Plus vacancies by going to:

Jobs are advertised in local newspapers and on their websites.


Shared By:
yanyan yan yanyan yan