Tenants Handbook by sdsdfqw21

VIEWS: 107 PAGES: 40



 0845 331 2323

BROADLAND HOUSING ASSOCIATION  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 4
THE ASSOCIATION  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 4
THE BOARD  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 5
THE STAFF  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 5
AREAS COVERED BY THE ASSOCIATION  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 5
RENTS AND SERVICE CHARGES  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 6
HOW OUR RENTS ARE SET  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 6
THE ASSOCIATION  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 7
SERVICE CHARGE  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 9
OTHER CHARGES  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 9
PAYMENT OF RENT . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 10
WELFARE BENEFITS . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 13
THE TENANCY AGREEMENT .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 14
SECURITY OF TENURE  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 14
JOINT TENANCIES .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 15
VARIATION OF TENANCY CONDITIONS . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 15
SUCCESSION OF TENANCY . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
CONSULTATION .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 17
ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOUR AND HARASSMENT .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 17
MEDIATION  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 18
PETS .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 18
GARDENS AND COMMUNAL AREAS  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 18
CAR PARKING . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 19
RUNNING A BUSINESS .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 19
DISPOSAL OF RUBBISH  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 19
HEATERS AND HEATING .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 19
SAFETY IN THE HOME  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 20
WASHING MACHINES .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 21
VANDALISM .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 22
ABSENCE FROM THE PROPERTY  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 23
INSURANCE . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 23
GETTING INVOLVED  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 24
MUTUAL EXCHANGES .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 28
EXCHANGES TO ANOTHER AREA  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 28
THE RIGHT TO ACQUIRE .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 29
TERMINATION OF A TENANCY .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 30
FEEDBACK  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 30
REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 34
RESPONSIVE REPAIR COMPLETION TARGETS .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 34
TENANTS’ REPAIR RESPONSIBILITIES  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 36
REPORTING A REPAIR .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 37
ANNUAL GAS SERVICING . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 37
 IN AN EMERGENCY .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 38
CONTRACTOR IDENTIFICATION .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 38
HOW TO CONTACT US  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 39
As a tenant of Broadland Housing Association, we hope that you will enjoy
living in and looking after your home. This handbook has been compiled to
help you during your tenancy.

Some changes to legislation take place rapidly and cannot, therefore, be
included in the handbook. However, we will continue to provide you with
full details of any new legislation or other issues which are likely to affect
you. Sometimes, this information will be contained in the newsletters
which are issued regularly by the Association.

If you need advice on any matter which is not covered in this book, please
contact us.

Broadland Housing Association was formed in 1963 by a group of local
business people who were committed to providing more affordable
housing in Norwich.

The first scheme at Shipfield, on the outskirts of Norwich, was completed
in 1967 and now the Association provides over 4,000 homes throughout
Norfolk and Suffolk. It continues to provide a range of different homes
including family homes, modern apartments, sheltered housing and housing
with care.

Broadland Housing Association is committed to serving the needs of
its neighbourhoods and places its customers first. We strive to provide
a caring, effective and high quality service that is fair to all, and aim to
deliver continuous improvement in all our services. We want to create an
environment where people want to live, and give our tenants real choice
and control.

We are a growing, forward-thinking organisation and work closely with
our partners and the community to find ways to enhance our working
practices and improve our service to our customers.

       THE BOARD
We are registered with the Housing Corporation under the Housing
Association Act 1985 and under the Industrial and Provident Societies Act
1965. We follow the National Housing Federation’s Code of Governance.

The overall policy and direction of the Association is set by the Board who
meet regularly. All the Board members are drawn from a wide range of
backgrounds, who share a commitment to social housing and contribute a
wide range of knowledge and experience.

       THE STAFF
The Association’s committed and professional staff work closely as
a team to ensure that a high quality of service is available to tenants.
Tenants are encouraged to make contact with the Association’s staff to
discuss any problems or worries, no matter how small or large they
may be.

Broadland Housing Association currently manages over 4,000 homes
throughout Norfolk and North Suffolk and has offices in Norwich,
Dereham, King’s Lynn and Lowestoft. Our main developments are
concentrated in market towns and urban areas although we have a
significant number of properties in rural areas.

The Association operates two types of tenancy. Those tenants who were
housed by the Association before January 1989 have Secure tenancies
under the terms of the Housing Act 1985. Those tenants who were housed
by the Association after January 1989 have Assured tenancies, which were
introduced by the Housing Act 1988. The method of setting rents on a
property depends on whether a tenancy is Secure or Assured.

Secure Tenancies
Broadland Housing Association has to apply for registration of rent for
secured tenancies every two years.
The rents are reviewed by an Independent Rent Officer and should be fair
to both you and the Association.

The Rent Officer considers the Association’s application and, after inviting
tenant’s comments, he will then set a rent which will be below, equal to
or above that sought by the Association. On receipt of the Rent Officer’s
decision, the Association and/or the tenant have the right to appeal if the
new rent set is considered to be unreasonable. The appeal will be heard
by a Rent Assessment Panel, which has the power to either reduce or
increase the rent or leave it as set by the Rent Officer.

When applying to the Rent Officer to re-register the rent, the Association
will take into account any increases in inflation since the last registration
and recent registrations of rent for similar properties, as well as the
requirements of the rent restructuring arrangements.

Once all of the calculations, set out in the flow diagram, have been made,
Broadland Housing Association will set the lowest figure of all calculations.

Four week’s notice will be given of any increase and will be set on the
1st of the month.


BHA commence process
3 months prior to due
re-registration date.

Max Rent Increase is                      Rent Officer sends copy of
calculated – application                E BHA application to customer
made to Rent Officer.                     for information
Calculation One

BHA then work out the Target               Rent Officer –
Rent plus Service Charges       E          (1) Values property (may
estimated over 2 years.                         contact customer to
Calculation Three                               arrange visit)
                                           (2) Calculates maximum fair

Final stage                                If valuation is less than
BHA select the lowest Fair                 maximum fair rent -
Rent amount, out of the                    then valuation amount is
three calculations –                       registered, if valuation is
Notification letters are then              greater than maximum fair
sent to customer allowing                  rent - then maximum fair rent
28 working days, before                    is registered. Rent Officer
increased rent is charged                  sends Notification Letter to
                                           both BHA and Customer.
                                           Calculation Two

Three Calculations
1. Maximum rent increase is calculated based on current rent – net of
   current service charges, (this should not exceed RPI +0.5% + £2
   (over two years). Plus Service Charges estimated for further 2 years.

2. Rent as calculated by Rent Officer –
   Either valuation of property if less than maximum fair rent or if
   valuation is greater, the maximum fair rent is registered as new rent.

3. Target Rent – plus service charges estimated for further 2 Years.

Target Rent explained:
Government policy since 2000 has worked on the principle that rent
setting in the social housing sector should be brought onto a common
system based on relative property values and local earnings’ levels.
This has been developed by the Housing Corporation into a formula
that defines for any given property owned by a housing association an
upper and lower limit for the “target rent”(excluding service charges)
charged in 2012. The values of the limits are set by reference to average
housing association rents in 2000, increased in accordance with Housing
Corporation guidelines in each year between 2000 and 2012. The
Guideline Limit has been set at RPI plus 0.5% from 1 April 2002.

Assured Tenancies
All Assured tenancies offered by the Association are subject to the rights
set out in the Housing Corporation document ‘The Tenants Guarantee’, a
copy of which is available on request. Under the Assured Tenancy regime,
the Association is responsible for assessing and fixing its own rents.

The amount of rent you pay is stated at the beginning of your tenancy and
explained in your tenancy agreement.

In April 2002, the government introduced a new system so that all social
landlords (housing association or council) adopt a single approach to
setting rents that will be based on the same rent formula (the formula
is referred to as ‘rent restructuring’). This is to ensure that all social
landlords’ rents stay affordable, aren’t confusing, reflect the size, location
and condition of your home, and are based on a ‘like-for-like’ basis, no
matter who the landlord is.

What is rent restructuring?
The formula is based on the property size (the number of bedrooms); the
average earnings in your local area; and the size, location and condition of
your home.

How much will my rent change?
To protect residents from large rent increases, the government has limited
any rent increase to no more than the rate of inflation plus 0.5%; plus
£2.00 per week. If it decreases, any reduction is limited to the rate of
inflation plus 0.5%, minus £2.00.

When will my rent change?
Rent changes occur on an annual basis with effect from 1 April.

You will be contacted four weeks in advance with details of any changes.
If you have any questions about this or any other matters please contact
Customer Services on 0845 331 2323.

The total rent charged often includes a proportion in respect of services
such as the lighting and cleaning of communal areas, TV aerial, gardening,
etc. The services are indicated either on the rent register for Secure
tenants or on the tenancy agreement under the Assured Tenancy regime.
By these means, tenants will be kept informed of the services applicable on
a particular scheme. We aim only to recover our costs on the provision of
services, not to make any surplus.

Council Tax
All tenants are responsible for paying their own Council Tax.

Water Rates
Water rates on the Association’s properties are set by the relevant water
authority. According to the type of accommodation provided, water rates
may be included in the rent. If this is the case, the tenancy agreement will
indicate that water rates are included.

Any increases in water charges will be notified by the Association as and when
the water authority informs the Association of any changes in their charges.

By Direct Debit
Direct Debit is a method of making payments directly from your bank or
building society account. The main benefits in paying your rent in this way
are as follows:
• It is convenient
• It is simple to set up
• Your rent is paid on time
• There’s no extra cost to you
• You are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee

How does it work?
You sign a mandate giving permission for your bank to allow payments to
be collected in advance from your bank account. Payments are collected
on a monthly basis. The Association currently offers four collection dates.
Please specify on your mandate which date you prefer.

Do I need a special bank account?
If you have a bank or building society with cheque book facilities, then it
is very likely that this account can accept Direct Debits.You may want
to check with your bank beforehand but if you already pay other bills by
Direct Debit from the account then you should be able to pay your rent
that way too.

What if my rent changes?
The big advantage of Direct Debit is that as your rent changes, so does the
amount collected, without you having to give any further instructions.
We will recalculate your monthly payment and notify you of the new
amounts before they are collected.You are always in control.

Is there a charge for paying this way?
No. All the costs of collecting this payment are met by the Association.

What is the Direct Debit Guarantee?
• This Guarantee is given by all Banks and Building Societies taking part in
  the Direct Debit scheme. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is
  monitored and protected by your own Bank or Building Society.
• If the payment amount or dates change, you will be notified 28 working
  days in advance of your account being debited, or as otherwise agreed.

• If an error is made by your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed
  a full and immediate refund, from your branch, of the amount paid.
• You can cancel a Direct Debit any time by writing to your Bank or
  Building Society. Please send a copy of the letter to us.

How do I set up a Direct Debit?
Complete and sign the Direct Debit mandate enclosed with this leaflet and
return to the Association’s head office. We will then agree with you the
payment amount and a start date once the Direct Debit has been set up.
In the meantime, you should continue to pay your rent in the usual way.

By an allpay swipecard

What is an allpay swipecard?
An allpay swipecard is a plastic swipe card that holds your name and rent
account reference number. It ensures that any money you pay in at a Post
Office, PayPoint or PAYzone outlet will reach your rent account. It is not a
credit card and has no monetary value.

What information is printed on the card?
1 Card reference number
2 Your name
3 Your tenancy reference

Where can I pay?
You can pay your rent using the rent payment swipecard at any Post Office
or retail outlet offering the PayPoint or PAYzone facility:

Post Office:
Payments can be made in cash or by cheque. If paying by cheque, you will
need to make it payable to Post Office Limited.

Services are available in a wide number of newsagents, corner stores
and garages, many of which are open early mornings, late at night and at
weekends. Payments can be made by cash.

This service is located mainly in larger shops and garages, many of which
are open 24 hours or early mornings, late nights and at weekends.
Payments can be made by cash, cheque or debit card.

How do I pay my rent with the card?
You simply hand your card, along with your cash, cheque or debit card, to
the cashier and tell them how much you are going to pay. The cashier will
return the card to you along with a machine receipt for the amount you
have paid.

Will the cashier know how much I should pay?
No. The cashier will have no access to any personal rent information. Any
enquiries about the rent due or other tenancy issues will continue to be
dealt with by your local office. The receipt that the cashier gives you is
your proof of payment.You should check it and keep it safe in the plastic
wallet provided with your card.

When does the payment show on my rent account?
In normal circumstances, the payment should show on your rent account
by the end of the next working day.

When will I receive a rent statement?
We will send you a statement of your rent account four times per year. If
you require additional statements, we can provide these on request.

What information is printed on the receipt?
1 Post Office, PayPoint or PAYzone Address
2 Date and time of transaction
3 Name of the Association
4 Amount paid
5 Method of payment

What about the rent payments for my garage or parking space?
You will receive one rent payment card and all payments will go into
one rent account, which will include rent for your home, garage etc.

What happens if I lose or damage my card?
Don’t worry. Just contact your local office as soon as possible and ask
them to order a replacement card. This will normally be with you in
three working days.

What if my rent changes?
You will still use the same card. Just tell the cashier how much you want
to pay.

Can I get someone else to pay my rent for me?
Yes. If you cannot get to the pay points yourself, you can ask someone else
to make a payment on your behalf using your card.

Can I pay my rent in any other way?
Yes. If you have a bank Switch or Delta card you can use it with your rent
payment card to pay by telephone or internet. Alternatively, you may find
it more convenient to pay by monthly Direct Debit.Your local office can
provide more details.

What happens if I move house?
If you move home, do not give the card to the new occupier. The card is
personal to you. We will send you a new card for your new home.

By Standing Order
If you have a bank account you can pay by Standing Order. However, it
is more convenient for you and easier for us, if you pay by Direct Debit.
Please see the information on Direct Debits on page 11.

If you would like to set up a Standing Order, you will need to contact the
office for a Standing Order form.

Many tenants are entitled to claim Housing Benefit to help them meet
their rent commitments. There are also a number of other welfare benefits,
to which you may be entitled. Tenants are encouraged to apply wherever
they feel there is a possibility that they may be eligible. Please contact your
neighbourhood team for further guidance.

If for any reason you cannot pay your rent when it is due, please tell us
straight away. We will be as helpful as possible if there is a real problem,
but this is easier if you make immediate contact with us, providing full and
honest details of your difficulties.

If you are already a tenant of the Association, you will have received a
copy of your Tenancy Agreement. A replacement copy is available from
us upon request.Your Tenancy Agreement is a legal document stating the
rights and responsibilities of both you and the Association. If you would
like clarification on any matter dealt with in the Tenancy Agreement, please
contact your neighbourhood team.

Broadland Housing Association recognises that the property you occupy is
your home and will seek to avoid circumstances under which it is forced
to apply for possession. However, there are certain grounds on which the
Association can, and will, act.
These are:
  Rent Arrears
  Breach of Tenancy Agreement
  Wilful damage to the property
  Giving false information to obtain the tenancy
  Use of the premises for illegal or immoral purposes
The Association will follow the procedure set out below when
seeking possession.
1 The Association will normally contact you before commencing legal
  action. However, in the case of serious nuisance to another tenant, the
  Association may seek emergency legal action without prior contact.
2 Should the matter not be resolved satisfactorily, the Association may
  serve upon you a Notice of Intent to Seek Possession, and, if necessary,
  seek an injunction to prevent any nuisance continuing until possession
  proceedings can be heard in the County Court.
3 If you do not comply with the Notice, and no satisfactory arrangement
  is made, the Association may apply to the County Court for a
  Possession Order. This will involve a Court Hearing, to which you will
  be summoned to appear. It is in your best interests to attend or be
  represented at the Hearing.

4 At the Hearing, the Court will decide whether or not it is appropriate
  to issue a Possession Order and, if so, whether the Order should be
  suspended under specific terms.

5 If the terms of any Order have not been met, the Association will apply
  to the Court Bailiff to set a date for your eviction.

The Association allows couples to have a tenancy granted in the joint
names of the two people concerned. The conditions of tenancy are the
same for joint tenants as for sole tenants. Each party to a joint tenancy is
equally responsible for meeting the obligations of the tenancy, including
rent payments. Should one party of the joint tenancy leave, that person
must confirm this in writing. Consideration will then be given to granting
the remaining tenant sole responsibility for the property by means of a
Deed of Assignment.

The Tenancy Agreement allows for necessary amendments to be made to
the document. The Association will notify you if it intends to change any
conditions and will explain these changes. Consideration will be given to
any written comments received from tenants during the period set out in
the notice. A Notice of Variation may be issued and can take effect after
28 days of notice being served. The Association will consult with tenants
over matters which substantially affect any tenant or group of tenants.
This may include changes in the conditions of tenancy and major repairs or
improvements to the property concerned. (See ‘Consultation’ page 17)

Equality and diversity
Broadland Housing Association is committed to addressing discrimination
experienced by particular groups, as well as action to promote and achieve
diversity in all areas of our business.

We recognise that people are different and aim to ensure that we treat
each individual with dignity and respect. As such we are committed to
developing an organisational culture which values people from all sections
of the community.

We will not treat any person (or group of people) applying for housing or
housing-related services, a job or for contracts with us, less favourably than
any other person (or group of people) because of their gender; sexuality;
marital status; responsibility for dependants; race; colour; nationality;
ethnic origin; religion or belief; political beliefs; age; social class; disability;
or unrelated criminal convictions.

Succession to tenancy means someone else taking on the tenancy after the
death of a tenant or assignment of the tenancy by deed.

(See previous pages.) If a partner of a joint tenant dies, the tenancy
automatically continues for the surviving joint tenant. The surviving joint
tenant is responsible jointly with the deceased’s estate for any outstanding
arrears under the joint tenancy.

Fair Rent tenants are covered by the Housing Act 1985 which allows one
right of succession to a secure tenancy provided that there is a person
qualified to succeed.

The basic requirements are:

1 that he or she is the tenant’s spouse and occupied the dwelling as his/
   her only principal home at the time of the tenant’s death,
2 that he or she is another member of the tenant’s family and has
   occupied the property as his/her only or principal home throughout the
   12 month period prior to the tenant’s death.

Assured tenants should note that the law on succession is as follows:

A spouse (including a common law spouse) may succeed after the death of
a sole assured tenant, who has no successor. In the case of a joint tenancy,
the tenancy passes automatically to the surviving joint tenant. Succession
to a spouse is subject to the following conditions:

1 that the spouse must have been living with the tenant immediately
   before his or her death
2 that the tenant who died was not him/herself a successor

The Association wants to consult you and your neighbours on any new
proposals or management changes that might affect you. Examples are:

    •   Changes to the type of services you receive.
    •   Changes in methods of rent collection (but not rent levels).
    •   Major improvements or repairs to your home.
    •   External decoration.
    •   Changes in policy.

The form of such consultation will vary depending on the issue and the
number of tenants affected. Normally, the Association will write to all
tenants concerned requesting comments by a certain date. Sometimes we
will arrange an open meeting with tenants and any comments/suggestions
which arise will be considered by the Board. We will then advise tenants of
the final proposals and the timetable for implementation.


Antisocial behaviour is unreasonable behaviour that interferes with
people’s rights to use and enjoy their home and community.

Harassment is persecution or intimidation of a person or group of people
for any reason.

The Association adopts a zero tolerance approach to antisocial behaviour.

You are responsible for any nuisance, disturbance or other antisocial
behaviour at your home. This includes antisocial behaviour by you or
another member of a household or someone who is staying with or
visiting you.You and your visitors must not:

    • cause nuisance to others living nearby, for example by playing loud
      music or shouting;
    • behave or speak offensively or abusively towards any member of
      staff or contractor;
    • harass, threaten, or use physical violence towards anyone
      living nearby.

We will thoroughly investigate complaints of antisocial behaviour and
harassment. This will include gathering evidence that we can use in court
to evict the tenant responsible.

In very serious cases the Association will take legal action. Please contact
your neighbourhood team if you are suffering in any way.

Mediation can be an effective way of dealing with some types of disputes
between neighbours, particularly where the conflict is between tenants
and private residents. Broadland Housing Association will assist financially
with mediation by referring neighbours in conflict to a neutral person or
organisation, who will help people to listen to each other’s point of view
to find common ground, and to jointly agree ways of resolving disputes.

Permission can be given to keep pets provided that the property has
its own secure garden area, and tenants should put such requests in
writing. There are some schemes which have communal garden areas
and consequently permission cannot be given, for reasons of hygiene and
having regard to the feelings of other tenants on the scheme. Similarly, pets
other than caged birds are not allowed in sheltered schemes.

If you are in any doubt, please contact the Association.

If your property has its own garden, it is a condition of your tenancy that
you maintain it and keep it in good order. If you keep plants in containers
on balconies or on patio areas, you should keep the area tidy and avoid
loose soil getting into rainwater outlets on balconies. For this reason, ‘grow
bags’ are not suitable for such areas. Nothing should be left on balconies
that might obstruct the means of escape in an emergency.

Where communal gardens are provided, the Association will provide a
gardening service to maintain the area, but tenants are asked to ensure
that this space is not abused.

Some car parking may be provided at the Association’s housing schemes.
Tenants are reminded that car parking spaces are for the sole purpose
of parking cars or motorcycles. Commercial vehicles, caravans, boats and
stock cars etc are not allowed on our housing schemes.

It is a condition of tenancy that a business should not be run from any of
the Association’s properties without the Association’s permission, and you
must not display any sign or advertisement about a business. No objection
will be made to receipt of business correspondence but if you are in doubt
you should contact the Association.You are reminded that you must not
bring commercial vehicles in connection with your employment onto the
housing scheme.

Dustbins/wheelie bins/plastic refuse sacks etc are provided by the local
authority and it is your responsibility to ensure that bins are available
for emptying in the prescribed manner. Some of our schemes have larger
communal bins and you are requested to ensure that these areas are kept
tidy at all times, to prevent nuisance arising and to avoid attracting pests and
vermin. Large items of rubbish such as old furniture, mattresses, etc can be
disposed of by arrangement with your local authority cleansing department.

You must not use any paraffin stoves in your property. This is important
because for every gallon of paraffin burned, one gallon of water vapour
is released into the air which leads to severe condensation. Furthermore,
paraffin heaters present a far greater fire hazard than other forms of
heating. Similarly, LPG portable heating appliances are equally dangerous.
They too emit a considerable amount of water vapour and are forbidden
under the terms of the tenancy agreement.

Frost precautions
Great inconvenience and expense can be caused by the effects of frost
damage in the home. When water freezes, its volume increases by about
one tenth which can lead to fractures in pipes and other fittings.

When the ice melts, the escaping water can cause considerable damage.
The best precaution against freezing is to keep the interior of the house
warm. It is only necessary to maintain a temperature just a few degrees
above freezing.

If after a severe frost, you find that you cannot draw down hot water,
DO NOT light the boiler (or if the boiler is already ‘on’, turn it
‘off’), as the hot water system may be frozen and the application of heat
may cause an explosion. Warm the house to remove the blockage. This can
be tested by checking that the hot water tap runs freely.

If a pipe should freeze, it can be thawed out by warming the pipe gently, eg
with a cloth soaked in hot water or with a hairdryer.

If you intend to be away from your home for a few days during the winter
months, then it is advisable to turn off the water supply at the mains.

The dangers of accidents with electricity can be avoided if you
remember to:

    •   Switch off appliances when not in use.
    •   Never run appliances from light fittings.
    •   Make sure all plugs are wired correctly and have the correct fuses.
    •   Check flexes regularly for wear and do not run them under carpets.
    •   Never take appliances such as fires, radios or hairdryers into
        the bathroom.

If you smell gas check to see if a tap has been left on or a pilot light blown
out. Do not use a match to find the leak, and be sure to open doors and
windows in the home. If you still think there is a leak, turn off the gas at
the meter and telephone British Gas.You must let the Association know
as soon as possible what action you have taken.

To reduce the risk of fire there are a number of things you
should remember.

    • Make sure all fires are guarded.
    • Do not hang clothes over or around fires, heaters or cookers.
    • Do not prop open fire doors or tamper with their closing
    • Close all doors at night.
    • Never leave a chip pan unattended.
    • Avoid using multi-way adaptors. Overloading sockets can lead to
      overheating or serious fire risk. The safest method to adopt is one
      appliance to one socket.

Lost keys
The Association does not keep spare keys to any of its properties and
you are therefore advised to keep a spare key in a safe place. If you live on
your own, this should be with a friend and not inside the property. If you
lose your door keys, a charge may be made to cover the cost of forced
entry and fitting a new lock.You should be able to insure against such
eventualities under a good comprehensive contents policy.

In all of our more recently-built properties, you will find connection
points for hot and cold water, and a waste pipe for an automatic washing
machine. Flexible hoses may be connected in accordance with the
manufacturer’s instructions. Please ensure that the hoses are in good
condition and that the connecting rings and washers are watertight after
connection. The waste hose should be clipped or wired to the connecting
pipe. Washing machines should not be connected to sink or basin taps.

Some of our properties are not suitable for the installation of an automatic
washing machine and you should therefore check with us before making
any purchase. Where the installation is permissible, this can be done by a
competent plumbing contractor at your expense. The following conditions
should be shown to your plumber:

   1 All pipework and fittings must be to the appropriate water
     authority’s approval and the arrangement of plumbing must comply
     with building and water regulations.

   2 All hot and cold pipework must be of copper with waste, which
     must be of ABS, MPVC or polypropylene.

   3 A washing machine valve must be provided to each water supply
     and must be of brass construction. Plastic valves are not permitted.
     Valves must be accessible for use with the washing machine in its
     operating position.

  4 If the hot and cold water pipework into which a connection is
    required is of plastic composition, the Association’s approval must
    be obtained before the pipework is touched. In these circumstances,
    the Association reserves the right to instruct its own contractor to
    make the connection.

  5 If any fixed kitchen unit, worktop or other landlord’s fitting requires
    alteration or removal for pipework or for accommodation of the
    machine, the Association’s permission must be obtained before
    making the alteration.

Once your machine is installed, you must observe the following points:

    • If the machine waste pipe is not connected to a proper trap, any
      appliance into which it discharges must be capable of handling the
      waste water without risk of overflowing. The machine pipe must be
      temporarily secured to prevent displacement under vibration.

    • Inspect the machine hoses and connectors frequently, for deterioration.

    • You will be held responsible for any damage caused to your home
      or a neighbouring property by flooding from your machine. (This is
      one of the many reasons why you should maintain a comprehensive
      insurance policy.)

    • Remember that the combination of electricity and water can spell
      danger so observe the usual precautions with regard to electric
      plugs and leads.

    • If you use a tumble dryer indoors you must use a ventilating hose
      or duct discharging out of a window. Failure to do so causes serious
      condensation damage to the property for which you will be
      held responsible.

If you are aware of any acts of vandalism to the Association’s property,
please telephone the Police at once and then notify us. Tenants, being on
the spot, are in an ideal position to discourage vandalism and trespassing
and the Association actively encourages and supports the formation

of HomeWatch schemes. Many of our properties are covered by such
initiatives and if you wish to receive further information, please contact
the Association.

The Association operates a 24hour response to graffiti.

You will already have received guidance from Gas, Electricity and Water
providers regarding the action to take if you are likely to be away
from your home for more than just a few days. Residents of sheltered
schemes should consult their scheme manager or caretaker about any
arrangements required.

If you are, or intend to be, absent from the property for more than 28 days,
you must inform the Association in writing. If you fail to do so, the Association
may treat the property as abandoned, take appropriate action to recover the
property and dispose of any furnishings or other items left in the property.

The Association will insure the structure of the building and its fixtures
but we are not responsible for the insurance of the contents or your
personal possessions.

Home contents insurance is your responsibility and we strongly
recommend that you take out an appropriate policy. The cost of such a
policy is very modest indeed, compared with the money and distress you
may eventually be saved. Such a policy should pay for losses or damage
caused by fire, theft, flooding and accidental breakages to the contents
of your home.You should make sure that the policy includes a ‘liabilities
clause’ covering accidental damage to items in your home for which
you may be charged if the Association has to repair them; eg glazing to
windows and doors, broken bathroom and toilet fittings, etc. Most policies
also provide protection against legal liabilities if someone is injured or their
property is damaged while they are in your home.

The Association has a special arrangement with an Insurer, to enable its
tenants to get cover at a very competitive price. Should this be of interest
to you, simply call the housing department for further details.

Broadland Housing Association is committed to making sure that your
voice is heard and that you get the opportunity to be involved in the way
we provide your services.

We are keen to support and encourage tenants and residents (individually
or as a group) to get involved to influence decisions about your home.
We want to make sure we’re providing services that meet your needs and
aspirations and that they are delivered to a standard you expect.

What is involvement?
It is about giving you a real say in your housing service and shaping the
decisions that affect you, your home and your community.

Why should I get involved?
You may want to get involved because you want to improve a service you
receive, create a better sense of community where you live and influence
decisions made by us. Broadland is keen to encourage all of its tenants and
residents to get involved. What you think does matter!

Why do we want you to get involved?
We know that tenant and resident involvement is vital to delivering a
better service.

How can you get involved?
We recognise that everyone has different priorities and views and that
some will have more time than others. This is why we have a range of ways
in which you can get involved.

As an individual tenant you can:

Join the VISION club
This is a group of interested tenants who are happy to give their views on
the services that Broadland Housing provide. It means we will occasionally
send you a survey to complete or invite you to a one off focus group
to discuss a particular aspect of what we do. This was set up so you can
participate in a number of different ways to suit your lifestyle - you have
the choice.

Join the Readers panel
You would be asked to read and comment on literature that we provide
so it can be ‘tenant approved’.

Be part of a working group
These are set up to look at specific service areas.

Write an article or contribute to the newsletter.
Come and be part of the Editorial Panel or send us a story to be included.

Give us a suggestion or comment at any time.
You can do this by asking for further information, suggesting improvements,
letting us know when you have received a service below your standard
or praise us when we get it right.You can do this by visiting our offices,
meeting us when we are out in the Vision bus, phoning, emailing or through
the website.

Become a street voice/representative
It is a volunteer who acts as an informal contact point for the tenants/
residents that live in the street/road or close where they live. They find
out what issue tenants or residents in the street are facing and report any
issues and or problems or general trends that they are made aware of.
(you will need support from your neighbours).

Tenant Resource Centre
Come and see us at the tenant resource centre where you can have
access to the internet and information to support you getting involved.
The resource centre is located at The Elms, Unthank Road, Norwich and
is open every Thursday between 10.00am and 4.00pm.

For more information contact the Resident Involvement Team on
01603 750236.

You can join one of the area forums
Forums give you a voice and provide the opportunity to influence
decisions about housing services and discuss issues of common concern.

We will support you to get involved by:
• Helping arrange meeting room space
• Provide administrative support including photocopying
• Help with transport, carers and childcare costs so you can
  go to meetings
• Provide skills training
• Access information to help you

For further information please contact the Resident Involvement team on
01603 750236.

Tenants’ and Residents’ Associations (TARAs)
The Association is keen to promote a wide range of opportunities for all
tenants to get involved in its activities. One way to get involved is through
forming or joining a TARA.

We can help to set up a tenants’ and residents’ association in your area.

What is a TARA?
A TARA could be either:

    • a group of people living in the same area (this could be a mix of
      tenants from Broadland Housing Association and other residents i.e.
      owner occupiers, local authority tenants, other housing association
      tenants or people from the private rented sector) who have come
      together to take up issues of concern relating to their housing
      community and general environment.
    • a group of tenants who represent the views of its membership to
      Broadland Housing Association or other organisations.

Why start one?
The benefits of forming a TARA can be:

    • To gain a greater voice
    • To gain a sense of community
    • To campaign for something, e.g. an improvement to the area you
      live in

How do you go about it?

First Step – find out if there is any interest
If you would like to set up an association, you will first need to discover
whether there is sufficient interest amongst residents living in your area.

Second Step – contact us
Please contact us, we will offer as much support as we can to help you in
forming a group. We can offer administrative help (photocopying, typing)
as well as finding a place to hold your first meeting.

Third Step – hold your first meeting
Invite the people that have expressed an initial interest and other people in
the area. Make sure that you publicise the meeting clearly stating the date,
time and place.

What can we do?
The Association can offer you support and guidance including
administration, finding somewhere to hold your meeting as well as help
with costs. We can also provide start-up costs and annual payments to
assist with the running of the group.

In order to receive this you will have to register with the Association
and fulfil some basic requirements. This includes ensuring that your group
remains reasonably representative of the community you live in by having
a constitution (a document stating the aims and objectives and how the
group will be run) and Code of Conduct (common sense list of guidelines
that shows how the group should work). These could be agreed at your
first meeting.

To be recognised, you need to show the following:

    • Membership – that members live in the neighbourhood and include
      Broadland tenants
    • Equality and diversity – demonstrate a commitment to being fair
      to all
    • Constitution (a document stating the aims and objectives and how
      the group will be run) as agreed by the group
    • Accountability with any finances – that there is a clear record of any
      money spent
    • An active and agreed committee with assigned roles – an elected
      chair, secretary and treasurer
If you choose not to be registered, we will recognise you as a group of
residents and ask that you put forward one person as a point of contact.
We will offer you any help you need to form a group – if you have any
questions just call our resident involvement team 01603 750236 and we
will be happy to help.

Should you wish to, it may be possible to exchange your home providing
that all of the conditions set out below have been met. If you would
like more information on exchanging your home please contact
Customer Services on 0845 331 2323 or alternatively log on to
The Association is happy to assist with mutual exchanges which will benefit
all those concerned.
Tenants must obtain permission from Broadland Housing Association and
similarly the person wishing to exchange must obtain the appropriate
permission from their landlord before the exchange can proceed.
We will then contact the other landlord to confirm that all is in order and
we will only withhold consent on the following grounds:
    • If there are any arrears outstanding on the account of either party.
    • If the accommodation is too large or small for the incoming
      household’s needs.
    • If the property is specially adapted or used for a person with
      special needs and a member of the proposed household meets
      these requirements.
    • If legal proceedings are still current on either party.
We will inform you of our decision within 42 days of receipt of your
request. If there have been any other breaches of the conditions of either
tenancy, this may affect your right to exchange.
For further information about mutual exchanges, please contact Customer
Services on 0845 331 2323.

This Association subscribes to the mobility service ‘HOMES’. If you wish
to obtain accommodation elsewhere in the country and you would like
further details, please contact Customer Services on 0845 331 2323.
The Association does have some properties with the Right to Acquire
(RTA). This scheme allows qualifying tenants of Registered Social landlords
(RSLs) the right to purchase their rented properties with the benefit of a
government set fixed discount. This is currently set at £9,000.
Who is Eligible?
The property must have been built using social housing grant allocated
after 1st April 1997
If you have been a council or housing association tenant prior to 18th
January 2005 you must have spent at least two years as a council or
housing association tenant .
If you have been a council or housing association tenant since 18th January
2005 you must have spent at least five years as a council or housing
association tenant (public sector tenants whose tenancy began on or after
18th January 2005 will have to remain a council or housing association
tenant for five years until they become eligible).
The property must be self contained and your only or main home.
Exemptions from the RTA
Not all properties owned by the Association will be eligible, here is a (non
exhaustive) list of possible reasons why:
   • Property built pre April 1997
   • Property in a rural area
   • Lease of less than 21 years for a house
   • Lease of less than 50 years for a flat
   • Homes designed with special disability features
   • Homes that are one of a group let to tenants who have mental
     disability / disorders
   • Homes which are one of a group let to tenants with special needs /
     requiring intensive tenant support
   • Homes which are one of a group let to tenants over 60
   • Properties which the association intends to demolish within the
     next two years
You may end your tenancy by giving at least one month’s (written) notice
to the Association’s offices for the tenancy to end on any day of the month.
If the notice is satisfactory, a letter will be sent accepting termination of
the tenancy, giving details of where and when to return the keys to the
property and asking you to make arrangements for any prospective new
tenant to view the property.

It is a condition of tenancy that the property must be left clean and tidy.
Any items left in the property after the end of the notice period may be
disposed of by the Association. We may seek to recover the cost of making
good any damage which has been caused by tenant neglect.

You must inform your utilities suppliers and Anglian Water of your
departure so that the necessary meters can be read and to ensure that
you are not charged for supply that you have not used.

Your feedback is very important to us as it helps us to shape the way our
services are delivered. If you would like to comment on any aspect of our
service please ring the Association or speak to your neighbourhood team.

We record feedback. When compliments or complaints are received we
share them with staff, contractors or teams concerned to ensure we learn
from them.

How to tell us if things go wrong
Broadland Housing Association is committed to providing a high standard
of service.

However, sometimes we make mistakes and things go wrong.

Our commitment to you means that if we know something has gone
wrong, we can try and put it right. We look at the reasons why it happened
and learn from mistakes to stop them happening again, so telling us about
your experience can help us to improve the service that you receive. If you
feel in any way dissatisfied with the service you receive and wish to make a
complaint please follow the stages listed here:

Stage 1: Contact Us
This is an informal problem solving stage. We will work with you to resolve
any concerns as quickly as possible.

You can do this by phone, letter or calling in. If you are not sure who to
contact, ring Customer Services on 0845 331 2323 and they will help you.
Once you have let us know what the complaint is, we will do our best to
sort it out as quickly as we can

The employee receiving the initial complaint will:
    • Record details of your complaint on our system
    • Try to resolve your problem straight away
    • Record the outcome on your records

If we cannot resolve the complaint straight away, we will:
     • Contact you within 3 working days to inform you about who is
       dealing with the complaint and give you a deadline for our response
     • Respond to you within 10 working days
     • Take action to put things right, if we have made a mistake
     • Keep you informed about any delays
     • Tell you about your right to go to the next stage if you are
       dissatisfied with our response
     • Record the outcome on your records, if successfully resolved

Stage 2: Service Investigation
An appropriate Manager, who was not involved at the first stage, will
review a complaint when:
    • A customer complains that they are dissatisfied with our first
      stage response
    • We unreasonably fail to reply at the first stage
    • A senior manager requests a special investigation

The Manager will:
    • Record details of your complaint
    • Acknowledge receipt within 3 working days
    • Respond to you within 10 working days
    • Take action to put things right, if we have made a mistake
    • Keep you informed about any delays
    • Tell you about your right to complain to a Director if you are
      dissatisfied with our response

Stage 3: Service Investigation
An appropriate Director, who was not involved at the second stage, will
review a complaint when:
    • A customer complains that they are dissatisfied with our second
      stage response
    • We unreasonably fail to reply at the second stage
    • A Director requests a special investigation

The Director will:
    • Record details of your complaint
    • Acknowledge receipt within 3 working days
    • Respond to you within 10 working days
    • Take action to put things right, if we have made a mistake
    • Keep you informed about any delays
    • Tell you about your right to complain to the Chief Executive if you
      are dissatisfied with our response

Stage 4: Panel Review
The Chief Executive will arrange a Panel to review the complaint when:
    • A customer complains that they are dissatisfied with the
      service investigation
    • We unreasonably fail to carry out a service investigation
    • A Director requests an independent review

We will:
   • Record details of your complaint
   • Acknowledge receipt within 3 working days and inform you of your
     right to attend a panel hearing
   • Arrange a panel hearing of the complaint within 20 working days
   • Send you a copy of the panel’s response within 5 working days of
     the hearing
   • Take action to put things right, if the panel finds that we made
     a mistake
   • Keep you informed about any delays
   • Tell you about your right to complain to the Housing Ombudsman
     Service if you are dissatisfied with our response

Stage 5: How do we deal with customers who remain dissatisfied after we have
fully responded to their complaint?
We will advise any customer who has completed all stages of our
customer feedback scheme to contact the Independent Housing

Ombudsman Service.
If you complain again about the same issue, our Chief Executive may write
to you informing you that we will not respond to future correspondence
about the complaint unless you provide new evidence or make a complaint
about a different issue.

It has been our experience that such complaints are rare and we are
certain that you will be very happy in your home.

The Ombudsman address:
The Independent Housing Ombudsman
31 Aldwych
Tel: 08457 125973

Please note: In most cases the Ombudsman will not deal with your
complaint unless you have completed our complaints procedure first.

We cannot deal with anonymous complaints, so please ensure that you
provide us with all the information we need to contact you.

Continuous service improvements
Service improvement covers everything from making the best use of
computer systems, streamlining processes, updating forms and publicity
leaflets to staff training and new initiatives.

We are constantly looking at ways to improve our efficiency and the
services we offer to our customers by responding to customer feedback
and best practice.

We will let you know about the service improvements that we have
introduced, or are planning, through the tenants’ newsletter and through
various TARAS (see page 26).

The Association always welcomes your suggestions or comments and
regularly sends out surveys and questionnaires seeking feedback which
may help us to improve our service. Please help us by responding to
these whenever possible. If you would like to request, comment on or get
involved in service improvements please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reported repairs are entered, at the time of reporting, on to the
Association’s internal system. The times shown below are from this
time to the time that the repair is completed and the time scales are in
calendar days.

 PRIORITY                PRIORITY               PRIORITY
 LETTER                  TITLE                  TARGET
 A                       Emergency              4 hours
 Full list of jobs within this category are:
 • Break in or breach of security to property
 • Tenant locked out of property
 • No electrics – total power failure
 • Structural damage to property
 • Burst pipe/flooding
 • Faulty fire system
 • Faulty emergency lighting system

 PRIORITY                PRIORITY               PRIORITY
 LETTER                  TITLE                  TARGET
 B                       Emergency              24 hours
 Full list of jobs within this category are:
 • No heating and/or hot water
 • No toilet facilities
 • Partial loss of electrics
 • No shower/bathing facilities
 • Blocked drains
 • Faulty smoke detector
 • Faulty door locks/door entry system
 • Insecure windows
 • Temporary boarding up
 • Water leaks
 • Roof leaks

PRIORITY              PRIORITY                PRIORITY
LETTER                TITLE                   TARGET
C                     Urgent                  7 days
Examples of jobs are:
• Replacement of heating appliances
• Replacement of hot water appliances
• Replacement of heating/hot water controls
• Slight leakage of water
• Changes of tenancies
• Repair/replacement of dripping taps
• Adjustment of TV aerial
• Blockage to communal kitchen wastes

PRIORITY              PRIORITY                PRIORITY
LETTER                TITLE                   TARGET
D                     Routine                 28 days
Examples of jobs are:
• Ease internal doors
• Replace worn ironmongery
• Repairs to floor boarding/screeds
• Repairs to external joinery
• Repairs to external brickwork
• Repairs to internal wall tiling
• Repairs to cracked glazing

PRIORITY              PRIORITY                PRIORITY
LETTER                TITLE                   TARGET
E                     Routine Plus            28 days
Examples of jobs are:
• External redecoration
• Planned repairs
• Energy efficiency improvements


• To ensure that the correct gas and electricity meters are installed so
  that if card meters are required, these are available when the tenancy
  commences. (This is included in the schedule of lettable condition, which
  is left at the property.)
• To keep the inside and outside of the property, including gardens and
  communal areas, clean and tidy.You must leave these areas in this
  condition when vacating the property.
• To keep the inside of the property in a good decorative condition
  and leave it in this condition when vacating the property.
• To keep all toilets, wastes and drains free from any obstruction and
  pay the cost of any clearance required.
• To replace blown light bulbs, fuses, lost keys and sink plugs.
• To replace tubes/starters for fluorescent lights.
• To repair, or pay for the repair of any damage to the property,
  including broken glazing.
• To repair/replace damaged fencing eg bent links/broken panels if
  yourself or a member of your household has caused the damage.
• To ensure that a competent person installs appliances such as
  cookers and washing machines eg gas cookers need to be installed
  by a CORGI Registered engineer and have a stability chain fitted.
• To obtain our written permission before improving or carrying out
  alterations to the property.
• To inform us, without delay of any repair requiring attention.
• To make access readily available to contractors so that they can
  carry out repairs and the annual servicing of gas appliances.
• To repair/replace broken toilet seats.
• To ensure pest control eg wasps, ants, bees, rats, insects – through
  the local authority’s Environmental Health Department.

When you call us, we will need the following details:
    • Your name, address and telephone number
    • Details of the problem
    • How and when we can gain access to your home to carry out
      the work
    • Report a repair on 0845 331 2323
You can expect an emergency repair to be completed within 24 hours, an
urgent repair within 7 days, and a routine repair within 28 days.

The Association has a legal obligation to carry out an annual gas
service and safety check to all of its applicable properties, but it is your
responsibility to allow access into your home for this work to be carried
out. This does not include cookers, where only a visual check will be
made. We carry out this check for your own health and safety and it
is in your interest that you allow our contractor access to carry out
the servicing.

You will be sent a letter from Erinaceous giving you a date on which they
intend to call. This appointment will be prior to the gas certificate expiring
at your property and if you are unable to make the appointment, you will
be asked to contact the telephone number on the letter.

If you do not make alternative arrangements, you will be sent a second
letter giving you a second appointment date and asking that you contact
Erinaceous if you are unable to make this appointment.

If Erinaceous do not manage to gain access on the first two appointments
made or you do not make alternative arrangements with them, you will be
sent an appointment direct from us warning you that if you do not allow
access on the given date, the Association will commence legal proceedings
against your tenancy. If you miss this third appointment, you will be
charged for the costs incurred by the Association.

Our emergency out of hours repairs facilities are controlled by InVicta.
If you need an emergency repair out of normal office hours, simply
telephone InVicta on 01732 781 974.
Tell the message centre:
     • You are a Broadland HA tenant
     • Your name and address
     • Details of the emergency
*Please note that calls to our emergency service are recorded.



Any contractor sent to your home by us will be carrying identification.
For your own safety and security, please do not let anyone into your home
without seeing their identification first.

If you are unsure whether or not BHA is responsible for a repair, please
call us on 0845 331 2323.


Customer services 0845 331 2323
                  01603 750250

Telephone lines are open 9am to 6pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am to
5.00pm on Fridays.

The Norwich office is open 9am to 5pm Mondays to Fridays.

Our Dereham, Lowestoft and King’s Lynn offices are open 9am to 5pm Mondays
to Fridays.

Broadland Housing Association Limited
NCFC Jarrold Stand Carrow Road
Tel: 01603 750200
Fax: 01603 750222

Dereham area office
1 Bloomfield Court
Theatre Street
NR19 2NJ
Fax: 01362 854125

Waveney and Great Yarmouth area office
31 Milton Road East
NR32 1NU
Fax: 01502 569703

Kings Lynn area office
41 Old Hospital Mews
Fax: 01553 778386
                    01603 750250

All our documents can be supplied in large print,
audio tape and in languages other than English.           BHA344 Tenants Handbook.indd - August 2007

         Broadland .Housing .Association .Limited
  NCFC .Jarrold .Stand .Carrow .Road .Norwich .NR1 .1HU
          tel .01603 .750200 . .fax .01603 .750222
            customer .services .0845 .331 .2323

             www .broadlandhousing .org

To top