Google Earth Odyssey Assignment
Reference websites for the best estimated route for the journey of Odysseus:
Read about the Adventures of Odysseus here:
Sample Google Earth Odyssey Trip:
Group Assignment Directions:
Every member will pick one paragraph/essay to write. All paragraphs will be
proof-read by other group members using comments in google docs. Proof-read to
make sure your groups’ paragraphs/essays follow the directions and examples
related to each mode of expository writing.
1. Definition Paragraph
Write an expanded definition to explain an abstract term.
Read directions for writing a definition essay here:
Example of a definition essay:
You will write ONE definition paragraph explaining an abstract noun using the
journey of Odysseus for your example. Write your paragraph in google docs and
save it. Share your google doc with all group members and Mrs. Seale. When you
finish, your group will put your paragraph in Google Earth following the Google
Some suggestions for abstract nouns to define: perseverance, revenge, or wit
2. Process Analysis
A process analysis essay explains HOW to do something or HOW something
happens. You must break down the steps as clearly as possible.
Read directions for writing a process analysis essay here:
Examples of a process essay here:
You will write a process analysis essay that explains how to survive one of the
exploits of Odysseus. For example, you could write about how to survive a Cyclops
attack or how to enter and exit the Underworld safely. Write your paragraph in
google docs and save it. Share your google doc with all group members and Mrs.
Seale. When you finish, your group will put your paragraph in Google Earth
following the Google Earth directions.
3. Division and Classification
A division and classification essay sorts large groups into categories.
Read directions for writing a division and classification essay here:
See an example essay here:
You will write an essay that sorts the gods and goddesses in the Odyssey. A good
way to sort the gods and goddesses would be to sort by gods and goddesses that
helped Odysseus, god and goddesses that worked against Odysseus, and gods and
goddesses that remained neutral in The Odyssey, and maybe even gods and
goddesses that only had a small role in the Odyssey or no role at all. Write your
paragraph in google docs and save it. Share your google doc with all group
members and Mrs. Seale. When you finish, your group will put your paragraph in
Google Earth following the Google Earth directions.
4. Cause and Effect
A cause and effect paragraph explains because.
Because Odysseus’ crew eats the cattle belonging to the sun god, the ship is destroyed
and the crew perishes.
For further directions read and an example essay read here:
Write a ONE paragraph cause and effect essay related to a book of the Odyssey.
Write your paragraph in google docs and save it. Share your google doc with all
group members and Mrs. Seale. When you finish, your group will put your
paragraph in Google Earth following the Google Earth directions.
Group proof-reading directions for all paragraphs:
Read and insert comments into each group member’s google doc. Edit each google
doc according to the rubric requirements (see below). Finally, make corrections to
your google doc based on the group’s comments. Delete the comments from your
Google Earth Directions:
Locate the best location along the journey of Odysseus for your paragraphs. Use
the links above for the estimated route of Odysseus. Each group member will create
a Google Earth tour following the directions below.
1. First click on ADD at the top of your screen and select Folder.
2. Name your folder “Odyssey Journey by YOUR NAME”.
3. The folder should appear under My Places. Make sure the folder is
highlighted and checked so your tour stops will all go into the same folder.
4. Next, fly to the first place where you would like to locate your paragraph.
Click on the placemark (pushpin) icon at the top of your screen. You can
move the pushpin around to the exact desired location.
5. Give your placemark a name (the title of your paragraph), and Copy and
paste in your paragraph in the description box.
6. Then click ok. Now add a picture to the placemark hosting your paragraph
by finding one on the web.
7. Click on tools and web to bring up the browser at the bottom half of the
screen. Use the WWW to search for pictures and images.
8. Find a picture you would like to add to your description. Right click on the
picture and select properties. Then copy the URL of the picture.
9. Right click on your placemark under places. Select properties to edit the
10. Next, underneath your paragraph, type in: <img src= “paste URL”> Then
11. Make three more placemarks for the other paragraphs. When you are
editing your placemarks, remember you can also change the icon symbol in
edit mode. Click on the pushpin and it will bring up other placemark icons.
12. After you have created all of your pushpins, play your tour.
13. When you are finished with your tour, right click on the folder and select
Save As. Save it to your computer where you can find it. E-mail this file to
me and also post it on your personal Wiki page. You can find your personal
Wiki page here: http://english9bryant.pbwiki.com/
How Will You Be Graded?
1. The paragraph/essay must follow the directions and the model provided focusing
on the following:
Thesis statement 15 points
Transition words 15 points
Clarity and concise language 15 points
Mode characteristics 15 points
2. The paragraph/essay must contain few or no errors. 15 points
3. Follow the posting and e-mailing directions above. 10 points
4. Student must leave comments and suggestions that show an honest effort in
proof-reading the student paragraph. I will check the revision history. 15 points
Total Points = 100 points