City of Chilliwack
Bylaw No. 3100
A bylaw to provide for the issuance of Licenses
for certain Second Hand Goods Dealers
The Council of the City of Chilliwack in open meeting assembled, enacts as follows:
1. This bylaw may be cited as “Second Hand Goods Dealers’ Licence Bylaw 2005, No.
2. In this Bylaw:
“City” means the City of Chilliwack;
“Council” means the Council of the City of Chilliwack;
“Licence” means a licence issued pursuant to this Bylaw;
“RCMP” means the Officer in Charge at the Chilliwack RCMP Detachment and includes
“Second Hand Goods Dealer” means any person licensed pursuant to the City’s Business
Licence Bylaw, in force from time to time, to carry on the business of selling,
purchasing, taking in barter or otherwise dealing in used or second hand goods
including wares, merchandise, furniture, household goods, auto parts, bicycles or
any other used article or thing; and,
“Nexus Dealer” means a Second Hand Goods Dealer who, in the process of complying
with the Used and Second Hand Goods Regulation Bylaw, in force from time to
time, conveys information to the RCMP indicating that the Second Hand Goods
Dealer is involved in transactions concerning stolen goods.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS AND APPROVAL PROCESS
3. The RCMP must inform, in writing, every Second Hand Goods dealer who is also a
4. Every person who is informed that they are a Nexus Dealer under Section 3 of this bylaw,
must not act as a Second Hand Goods Dealer unless they hold a Licence issued in
accordance with this Bylaw.
5. All applications for a Licence shall be made to the City on the application form provided
by the City.
“Second Hand Goods Dealers’ Licence Bylaw 2005, No. 3100” – Page 2
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS AND APPROVAL PROCESS (continued)
6. The fee for the Licence shall be $1,000.00.
7. The RCMP shall have the authority to approve, suspend, cancel or refuse any Licence
issued or applied for under this Bylaw.
8. Upon approval by the RCMP of an application for a Licence, and upon payment of the
fee, the City shall issue said Licence.
9. An appeal of the refusal, suspension or cancellation of a Licence may be made to Council
and the decision of Council shall be final.
TERM OF LICENCE
10. A Licence shall be valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance thereof, but
may be extended for such further periods, not exceeding one year, as the RCMP may
11. The RCMP may authorize the issuance of a Temporary Licence for a determined period
of less than one year.
DISPLAY OF LICENCE
12. Every Nexus Dealer shall at all times display the Licence on their premises.
OFFENCE AND PENALTY
13. Every person who violates or breaches, or who causes or allows to be violated or
breached, any of the provisions of this bylaw shall be guilty of an offence against this
bylaw and each day that such violation is caused or allowed to continue shall constitute a
14. Any person guilty of an infraction of this bylaw shall be liable upon summary conviction
to a fine of not less than $5,000.00 or to imprisonment, or to both a fine and
imprisonment, not exceeding the maximum allowed by the Offence Act, as amended.
15. If any portion of this Bylaw is held invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, then that
invalid portion shall be severed and the remainder of this Bylaw shall be deemed to have
been adopted without the severed portion.
“Second Hand Goods Dealers’ Licence Bylaw 2005, No. 3100” – Page 3
Received first reading on the 17th day of January, 2005.
Received second reading on the 17th day of January, 2005.
Received third reading on the 17th day of January, 2005.
NOTICE given under Section 59 of the Community Charter on the 25th day of January, and 1st
day of February, 2005.
Reconsidered, finally passed and adopted on the 21st day of February, 2005.
“Robert L. Carnegie”