LIVERMORE AREA RECREATION AND PARK DISTRICT
REGULAR MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 25, 2009
ROBERT LIVERMORE COMMUNITY CENTER
4444 EAST AVENUE, LIVERMORE, CALIFORNIA
DIRECTORS PRESENT: Director Furst, Director Goodman, Director Kamena, Director
Wilson and President Faltings
DIRECTORS ABSENT: None
STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT: Chiye Azuma, Tim Barry, Michael Kyle, John Lawrence,
1. CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL – PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Meeting called to order by President Faltings at 7:03 p.m. All Directors present except Director
President acknowledged LARPD employee Barbara Bowers, who recently passed away. She
announced that George Damoulos, who served for many years on the LARPD Personnel
Commission, and Erna Knott, wife of Les Knott, one of the founding directors of LARPD,
recently passed away as well. President requested a moment of silence in honor of Mr. Damoulos
and Mrs. Knott.
General Manager Barry said that LARPD recently held its annual awards program, at which
employees who were nominated by their peers received Meritorious Service Awards and Awards
of Excellence. He introduced three of the six award winners to the Board and talked about their
role at the District, as well as some of their attributes. The employees were as follows:
Meritorious Service Award winner Adult Social Daycare Activity Director, Sandra Kaya; and
Award of Excellence winners Senior Recreation Leader, Dana Messa and Administrative
Assistant-Finance, Lynn Loucks.
3. PUBLIC FORUM
President opened public comment. No public comment. Closed public comment.
4. CONSENT AGENDA
4.1 BOARD MINUTES
4.1.1 Meeting of March 11, 2009.
Moved by Vice President Furst, seconded by Dir. Wilson, approved the Consent Agenda, passing.
4-0. Dir. Kamena absent.
Livermore Area Recreation and Park District Page 2
Minutes: Board of Directors Meeting – March 25, 2009
5. CONSENT AGENDA RESOLUTIONS
6. BIDS AND PUBLIC HEARINGS
6.1 BOTHWELL PARK RENOVATION PROJECT
Assistant General Manager John Lawrence stated that staff will present the Plans and
Specifications for the Bothwell Park Renovation Project, requesting the Board’s approval
and authorization for the General Manager to go out to bid. Mr. Lawrence reported that the
estimated project cost, inclusive of design and consultant fees, permit fees and construction
costs, is $903,000 and that construction is anticipated to begin as early as July.
Dir. Kamena arrived at 7:17 p.m.
Landscape Architect/Project Manager Chiye Azuma gave a slide presentation of the plans,
describing different features of the project. Discussion and clarification on the following:
striping on the street for parking, specifically concerning handicap parking; bid alternate
process for bocce courts; placement of tenant garbage cans; existing concrete paving north
of building; planting area; tot lot; perimeter fence; benches; picnic tables; bocce courts;
importance of communication with people using the park on a drop-in basis, regarding
upcoming construction; enthusiasm about project design.
Moved by Vice President, seconded by Dir. Kamena, approved Resolution No. 2175,
approving the Plans and Specifications for the Bothwell Park Renovation Project and
authorizing the General Manager to go out to bid, by the following roll call vote:
AYES: Furst, Wilson, Goodman, Kamena and Faltings
7. OLD BUSINESS
8. NEW BUSINESS
9. COMMITTEE REPORTS
1) Vice President reported on March 25 Intergovernmental Committee meeting. Agenda items
included: financial difficulties of LARPD, City and LVJUSD; cutback ideas; LVJUSD surplus
property; potential collaborative bond measure.
2) Dir. Kamena reported on March 17 Livermore Downtown Inc. meeting. Agenda topics
included: difficulty of raising funds; update on plans for regional theater; upcoming events.
3) Dir. Kamena reported on March 24 Budget Committee meeting. Stated that LARPD is facing
the same kind of financial difficulties that all public agencies are facing, part of the District’s
difficulty being due to a projected reduction in property tax revenue. He is pleased that the
General Manager has set aside a considerable amount of money in reserves, but that staff and the
Board will still need to make tough choices to eliminate some things from the budget in order to
continue doing other things.
Livermore Area Recreation and Park District Page 3
Minutes: Board of Directors Meeting – March 25, 2009
10. MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE DIRECTORS
1) Dir. Goodman stated that the LLNL Science Fair is occurring at the RLCC this week.
2) Dir. Goodman apologized for missing the recent Community Gardens meeting. Commended
staff and gardeners for the fine maintenance of the gardens.
3) Dir. Goodman said District has plans for an Arbor Day event at Carnegie Park. Assistant
General Manager said plans are still underway; a Saturday date had been proposed, but a new
date in conjunction with a Farmers’ Market is under consideration.
4) Dir. Goodman said District is making efforts to communicate with public on park projects.
Encouraged citizens to visit District website for information and to e-mail Board with questions,
comments or complaints.
5) Dir. Wilson reported that Nadine Horner of LLNL commended District staff with whom she’s
worked coordinating the Science Fair.
6) Dir. Wilson encouraged public to take advantage of District Ranger programs, which occur
nearly each weekend.
7) Vice President reported he attended public meeting at the Bankhead Theater regarding plans
for regional theater. Reported a large attendance; many questions; was a constructive meeting.
8) President stated former LARPD Senior Recreation Supervisor and Community Center Director
Rich Lange will be honored by CPRS District III with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
9) President reported on the newly restored chandeliers at Ravenswood Historic Site, a project on
which LARPD and the Ravenswood Progress League collaborated. Invited public to participate in
Ravenswood tours every 2nd and 4th Sunday.
11. MATTERS INITIATED/ANNOUNCEMENTS BY THE GENERAL MANAGER
1) General Manager stated that next Board meeting is on April 15, not April 8—this schedule
modification was approved in December.
2) General Manager invited public to participate in upcoming LARPD activities: movie night in
RLCC gym this Friday; Ohlone Indian education program at Veterans Park this Saturday; Brushy
Peak hike this Sunday; Earth Day clean-up event April 18 at Robertson Park; and Emergency
Survival Expo at RLCC April 25.
Meeting adjourned at 7:51p.m.