UFO Sighting at Luke AFB-

Document Sample
UFO Sighting at Luke AFB- Powered By Docstoc
					UFOs, Unidentified Flying Objects - Flying Saucers, whatever you care to call them,
and whether you believe in them or not, there are too many sightings to be totally
dismissed. Here's an exceptional one extracted from "Project Blue Book", written by
"EJR" former chief of the Air Force's project for investigating UFO reports.

The incident took place at Luke AFB, Arizona, the Air Force's advanced
fighter-bomber school that is named after the famous "balloon buster" of World War I,
Lieu¬tenant Frank Luke, Jr. It was a sighting that produced some very
inter¬esting photographs.

There were only a few high cirrus clouds in the sky late on the morning of March 3
1953 when a pilot took off from Luke in an F-84 jet to log some time. He had been
flying F-51s in Korea and had recently started to check out in the jets. He took off,
cleared the traffic pattern, and started climbing toward Blythe Radio, about 130 miles
west of Luke.

He'd climbed for several minutes and had just picked up the coded letters BLH that
identified Blythe Radio when he looked up through the corner glass in the front part
of his canopy—high at about two o'clock he saw what he thought was an
airplane angling across his course from left to right leaving a long, thin vapor trail. He
glanced down at his altimeter and saw that he was at 23,000 feet. The object that was
leaving the vapor trail must really be high, he remembered thinking, because he
couldn't see any airplane at the head of it.

He altered his course a few degrees to the right so that he could follow the trail and
increased his rate of climb. Before long he could tell that he was gaining on the object,
or whatever was leaving the vapor trail, because he was under the central part of it.
But he still couldn't see any object. This was odd, he thought, because vapor trails
don't just happen; something has to leave them.

His altimeter had ticked off another 12,000 feet and he was now at 35,000. He kept on
climbing, but soon the '84 began to mush; it was as high as it would go. The pilot
dropped down 1,000 feet and continued on—now he was below the front of the
trail, but still no airplane. This bothered him too.

Nothing in 1953 flew over 55,000 feet except a few experimental airplanes like the
D-558 or those of the "X" series, and they don't stray far from Edwards AFB in

He couldn't be more than 15,000 feet from the front of the trail, and you can recognize
any kind of an airplane 15,000 feet away in the clear air of the sub stratosphere.

He looked and he looked and he looked. He rocked the F-84 back and forth thinking
maybe he had a flaw in the plexiglass of the canopy that was blinking out the airplane,
but still no airplane. Whatever it was, it was darn high or darn small. It was moving
about 300 miles an hour because he had to pull off power and "S" to stay under it.

He was beginning to get low on fuel about this time so he hauled up the nose of the jet,
took about 30 feet of gun camera film, and started down. When he landed and told his
story, the film was quickly processed and rushed to the projection room. It showed a
weird, thin, forked vapor trail—but no airplane.

Lieutenant Olsson and Airman Futch (veterans of the UFO campaign of 1952) worked
the report over thor¬oughly. The photo lab confirmed that the trail was
definitely a vapor trail, not a freak cloud formation. But Air Force Flight Service said,
"No other airplanes in the area," and so did Air Defense Command, because minutes
after the F-84 pilot broke off contact, the "object" had passed into an
ADIZ—Air Defense Identification Zone—and radar had shown nothing.

There was one last possibility: an astronomer said that the photos looked exactly like
a meteor's smoke trail. But there was one hitch: the pilot was positive that the head of
the vapor trail was moving at about 300 miles an hour. He didn't know exactly how
much ground he'd covered, but when he first picked up Blythe Radio he was on Green
5 airway, about 30 miles west of his base, and when he'd given up the chase he'd taken
another radio bearing, and he was now almost up to Needles Radio, 70 miles north of
Blythe. He could see a lake, Lake Mojave, in the distance.

Could a high-altitude jet-stream wind have been blowing the smoke cloud? Futch
checked this—no. The winds above 20,000 feet were the usual westerlies and
the jet stream was far to the north.

Several months later I talked to a captain who had been at Luke when this sighting
occurred. He knew the F-84 pilot and he'd heard him tell his story in great detail. I
won't say that he was a confirmed believer, but he was interested. "I never thought
much about these reports before," he said, "but I know this guy well. He's not nuts.
What do you think he saw?"

I don't know what he saw. Maybe he didn't travel as far as he thought he did. If he
didn't, then I'd guess that he saw a meteor's smoke trail. But if he did know that he'd
covered some 80 miles during the chase, I'd say that he saw a UFO—a real one.
And I find it hard to believe that pilots don't know what they're doing.