Daniel K. Meyers: Senior Unigraphics/VSA Mechanical Designer
1853 E. 100 N. – Kokomo, IN 46901 – (765) 868-9383 home – (765) 437-2228 mobile
ASME-certified Senior GD&T Professional specializing in dimensional management & variation analysis.
Thirty-two years experience in mechanical design as drafter, designer, leadman, checker and mentor.
Have used Unigraphics CAD since version 9 (circa 1991); recently trained in Teamcenter and UGNX5. I
have designed mostly injection-molded plastic parts, aluminum parts, and sheet metal parts in the last 18 years,
for automotive electronics supplier
Have used VSA (Variation Systems Analysis) and VisVSA for 13 years on many Delphi divisions’ products.
* To obtain a position as a mechanical designer, to contribute my passion for excellence toward the
development of new products or
* To train in GD&T and dimensional management (DM) principles. To establish an effective DM process in an
organization to achieve virtually perfect designs before start of hard tooling.
* To work as a full-time direct or contract employee, or part-time consulting through my own company
-Helped reengineer mechanical design process in Audio Systems business unit (adopted as prototype for
corporation's common design process circa 1996)
-Formed ad-hoc team to define "best practices" for design, including UG modeling, sketching, parametric
modeling guidelines, tolerance optimization and design checking practices
-Championed knowledge-based 3D design with UG WAVE (reusable control structure models, including built-
in analysis data)
-Led development of comprehensive GD&T training program for Delphi Unigraphics users
-Helped design training plan for Unigraphics V10.3 and V11.1 for 250 users
-Trained 80 users in UG Migration to version 10 (16 classes, one week long)
-Championed adoption of Variation Systems Analysis (VSA) tolerance-stacking software in Delphi
-Conducted scores of 3D monte carlo tolerance analyses for Delphi Electronics & Safety for over 13 years
as well as many linear tolerance stack studies
GD&T/Tolerance Analysis Trainer/Mentor:
-Member of Delphi Engineering Peer Review Board of Approvers for 5 years
-Drove formation of Delphi Dimensional Management Team & VisVSA Users Group in Delphi
-Have chaired Delphi (corporate) Dimensional Management Team since 1997
-Created Dimensional Management Procedure and Work Instructions for integration into Mechanical
Common Design Process (implemented 1999)
-Defined mechanical requirements and event/response sequence for product data management system
(PDM); helped conduct PDM product assessment plan
-Defined "best practices" for design, including UG modeling, tolerance optimization and design checking
-Am currently refining feature-based manufacturing capabilities database, GD&T feature control frames
checking tool & metrology report which calculates bonus & datum shift automatically
-Delivered courses on “GD&T Fundamentals”, “Tolerance Stacking Using GD&T”, “Intro to Dimensional
Management Workshop” and “Embedding GD&T for UGNX” in UGNX in India, Singapore & USA.
-Helped create a 12-course GD&T training program for Delphi worldwide. Helped provide fundamental
GD&T training to thousands of employees.
-Created stringent GD&T Fundamentals Certification Test and Advanced GD&T Certification Test
-Created “Embedded GD&T in UGNX” training class & 2 GD&T certification tests for Delphi
-Delivered various “Intro to GD&T” and “GD&T Applications” presentations to other business units
-Delivered Effective Training, Inc. “Fundamentals of GD&T” as independent contractor
* 1994-Present Delco Electronics: tolerance analyst for car audio and video systems, engine control modules,
supplemental restraint systems, etc. Also designed plastic injection-molded parts, sheet metal enclosures,
brackets & shields, aluminum die castings, steering wheel components
* 1989-93 Designed '95 Chevy "uplevel" radios at Delco Electronics. Designed plastic injection-molded parts &
sheet metal enclosures
* 1988 Tool designer: plastic injection molds on Autocad
* 1985-87 Designed hydraulically-actuated electronic fuel injector for Caterpillar (for Navistar engines)
* 1983-85 Under contract to Delco Electronics, designed radio steering wheel controls & HVAC parts
* 1977-83 Under various contracts: drafter, designer, checker, client liaison, interim office manager and group.
-Drafted or designed basic engine castings & sheet metal brackets for Caterpillar.
-Drafted for Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines – combustion chambers & fuel lines.
-Drafting group leader, checker & customer liaison for Towmotor lift trucks; masts & large frame
weldments (6+ people)
-Drafting/design group leader, checker & customer liaison for GE Steam Turbines (20+ people)
-Drafting/design group leader, checker & customer liaison for GM (20+ people); cruise control cabling &
brackets, water lines & support brackets, accessory drive brackets (14 people)
* 4.5 years of college studying music performance. Associates degree in General Studies. GPA: 3.4/4
* Finished “Associate in General Education” degree requirements in 2001 (29 years after starting!)
* Many employer-provided classes in UG (version 9 through UGNX3, Freeform Modeling); also "Train the
Trainer", team dynamics, geometric tolerancing, Design for Manufacturing, Design for Assembly, UG Manager
and IMAN, VSA (Variation Simulation Analysis), Quality Engineering, Design For Six Sigma, etc. Most recently
received training in UGNX5 and Teamcenter (in a limited configuration for Delphi Electronics & Safety in
Hobbies & Interests
* Worship leader at church
* Head Elder & Chief Financial Officer for church for last two years
* Favorite books: Proverbs, Galatians, remainder of The Bible, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Personal & professional references and further details available on request.