THE ESSEX by dfsiopmhy6


									Revised August 2001

       Public entertainment licences

       In order to protect the safety of performers and members of the public, and to
       prevent nuisance, most forms of public entertainment require a licence from
       the licensing authority - usually the local District or Borough Council.

       The advice which follows deals with some of the issues involved in the
       acquisition of licences for public entertainment, which is likely to be the most
       common form of licence required by schools and other education

       When is it necessary to obtain a public entertainment licence?

             1. The need to obtain a public entertainment licence is determined by
                the requirements of Schedule 1 of the Local Government
                (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. It is to this legislation that all
                licensing authorities work, although the precise way in which the
                requirements of the Act are implemented may vary between

             2. The Act covers the issue of licences for music and dancing; music;
                karaoke; and indoor sport.

             3. It is necessary to obtain a license for any events of this nature that
                involve ‘Public access’ to school premises, regardless of whether
                an entrance fee is levied. ‘Public access’ to school premises does
                not include those persons who are members of a PTA and their
                guests.    As all parents are members of the PTA then an
                entertainment put on for them and their guests is not classed as an
                event that is open to the public, as it is a private event. If however,
                an event is advertised into the Public Domain, then a Public
                Entertainment license is required.

             4. There are exemptions from the need to obtain Public Entertainment
                licenses. These include instances where the music is part of a
                religious service and ‘incidental music’ associated with garden
                fetes or bazaars, sporting events and displays of works. Where
                music is the substantial ingredient of the event then the music is
                not incidental. Where a school uses grounds which are held by a
                Public Authority for a Fete and invites the Public, it is advised that
                the Local Borough Council environmental officer is contacted to
                see whether a Public Entertainment license is required.

       Types of licence

             5. It is advised that you contact your local Borough Council
                Environmental Officer to discuss your requirements with regard to
                the Public Entertainment’s license. They will access the duration of
                the license to be granted and also the fee.            Often if the
          entertainment is educational or charitable they will vary the amount
          of fees due.

      6. Please note that if the schools wishes to have music and dancing
         on a Sunday, it can do so if prior permission from the Local
         Borough Council is provided.

Applying for a licence

      7. It is necessary to submit an application form, obtainable from the
         local District or Borough Council, together with the appropriate fee.
         The information necessary to include with the application may vary
         according to the licensing authority, but is likely to include the
         requirement to provide plans of the premises showing the location
         of the public thoroughfares, emergency lighting, and the position of
         fire doors and fire exits.

      8. Following the submission of a completed application, the local
         Council will arrange for the premises to be inspected to ensure that
         they conform to various safety requirements to enable the
         entertainment to be held, and meeting such requirements may
         necessitate small scale building adaptations or improvements to
         the proposed venue. Once any necessary work, identified by the
         inspection, has been carried out, the licence will be issued.

Consumption of alcohol

      9. It should be emphasised that the issue of a public entertainment
         licence does NOT cover the consumption or sale of alcohol at
         school events. Where alcohol is sold or where its availability is
         included within the price of an admission ticket, it is necessary to
         obtain an occasional liquor licence from the Local Magistrate's
         Court. In those cases where alcohol is taken to a particular event
         by those attending for personal consumption, however, such a
         licence is not necessary.

Other types of licence

      10. Public entertainment licences do not cover aspects of
          entertainment other than those listed in paragraph 2; it would
          therefore be necessary to obtain separate licences for, for
          example, theatrical or cinematography productions. Where schools
          hire their premises for any form of entertainment, it is the
          responsibility of the hirer to obtain the appropriate form of licence.

The necessary application forms for public entertainment and other licences,
together with further detailed information if required, are obtainable from the
relevant local District or Borough Council, whose address you will find in the
telephone book

To top