Document Sample
toronto Powered By Docstoc
					                             University of Toronto
                 Notes of Guidance for Exchange Students
              Please check information on host university website for accuracy

The University of Toronto is one of the largest institutions (by student head count) in
North America, outside of Mexico. Since there are so many students at the University,
students are divided by their Faculty, as well as into colleges if they are a part of the
Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Colleges have their own: residence allocation, registrars,
student services and writing workshops, and are generally present to provide a smaller
group to whom students belong, creating a sense of community. As of September 2000,
there were a grand total of 372,196 alumni of U of T. It is located centrally in the
downtown, near to the Ontario parliament buildings and the hospital district. There are 31
libraries in the U of T system, with a grand total of 15,176,805 holdings (99-00). For a
campus map, please see:

Further information:

Study Dates for 2010/11 approx:

             7 Sept – 22 Dec
             3 Jan – 7 May

Orientation Programme

The International Student Exchange Office runs an Exchange orientation and Welcome
reception each term.

Also, the Faculties of Engineering and Law have their own orientation, as do each of the
colleges within the Faculty of Arts and Science

When does it take place?

Exchange Office orientation
September: In the week between our Labour Day and the first day of classes for any

Academic Work

Selection of Work

Exchange is not possible for Rehabilitation Medicine, Biochemistry, MBA,
Master of Financial Economics, or LLM program (Law). Courses in Visual Studies
and Drama which have practical components are generally not available. Also,
Chemistry courses with a laboratory component are extremely limited.

Some other programs, such as undergraduate Biochemistry, traditionally have only limited
capacity for hosting exchange students. The Academic Bridging Program and the
Concurrent Teacher Education Program (CTEP) are also not available to exchange

It is usually very difficult to secure spaces in the Commerce Program at the St. George
campus. Commerce / Business students interested in this exchange should ask about
enrolment in those courses at either Mississauga or Scarborough campuses

Computer Science, courses are highly restricted and there may be restriction
with some Engineering streams.

The four-year Honours Bachelor program at Toronto consists of 20 credits. A full course
load has been determined to be between 4 and 5 credits per year, and half- and full-credit
courses may be selected.

How a student would select the equivalent of third year studies
Faculty of Arts and Science:
St. George Campus, Mississauga (Erindale) Campus and Engineering:- When looking
through the course calendar, select courses that have a 300-level indicator
i.e. ANT304Y1Y= ANT (department of study)
                     304 (level of study + code)
                     Y (Y=full credit, H=half credit)
                     1 (1=St. George Campus, 3=Scarborough Campus,
                     5=Mississauga Campus)
                     Y (Y=full year, F=fall term, S=winter term)
Scarborough Campus- In the Scarborough course calendar, most things will be the same
EXCEPT for the level indicator, which is a letter, is ‘C’ for third year:
i.e. the same course as above would be: ANTC04Y3Y

**Please note that only students registered as Faculty of Engineering or
Faculty of Law students will be able to take courses in those faculties,

Is it competitive? Some programs are very competitive, such as some of the specialized
life sciences courses (immunology, microbiology, etc.). You would need to discuss with
these departments, and have Edinburgh transcripts to show that pre-requisites have been
Is participation in class important? You should not miss classes, however, classes in
Humanities and the Social Sciences are usually more important for their discussion

sessions, than, perhaps, hard science course lectures, where most of the material may be
covered in texts.
 How to consult with professors? Most professors will announce weekly office hours for
themselves or with the Teaching Assistants that they may have working with them. The
hours or availability of the instructor will depend upon the individual.

Your final course selection must be agreed with your DOS and any course
changes made whilst you are away must have your DOS’s approval. Please
ensure that you keep in regular contact with your School (or Schools for joint
Honours students) during your year abroad and advise them of your email and
mailing addresses.


As an International Exchange Student, you will have the option to register for courses
before the rest of the U of T general student population, as long as your course selection
has been forwarded to us by that date. Although the students will have a registrar at their
faculty or college, we will take care of registration, course additions and drops, and refer
students for course counselling if they require it. If the students have any problems, we
do our best to take care of everything. Please contact Miranda Cheng, Assistant Director.

In the first classes of the year or term, instructors distribute syllabi for the course. It will
list the assessment techniques that the instructor will use during the course, and the
weighting of each. Assessment varies, but may include: tests, quizzes, exams, essays,
projects and/or assignments. Once the assessment techniques have been established
according to university guidelines, the syllabus may only be changed by a unanimous vote
by the students of the class.


Financial Evidence

In order to obtain a student visa to study in Canada, students must show that they are
financially able to support themselves, but the University of Toronto does not require such


If exchange rates maintain their current value, additional costs should be restricted to
accommodation, travel, books and health insurance. You may be required to pay for the
following (all figures are approximate):

   Tuition fees to the University of Edinburgh – contact the agency which is paying your
    fees (e.g. LEA/SAAS) and ensure that payment is arranged
   UofT dormitories usually cost around Cdn$900-1000 per month, including a mandatory
    meal plan.
   The mandatory health insurance (UHIP) costs Cdn$567 for the 9 month full academic

   Books approx C$50– C$150 per course, varying by department
   Return air travel to Canada – up to £500
   Everyday living expenses such as clothing approx. Cdn$100 per month, the cost of the
    Toronto transit system is now Cdn$100 per month for an all-access pass.
   This webpage provides a general estimate of the cost of living in Toronto for a full 12

Further information:


Once you have been accepted by Toronto, there may be the possibility of a scholarship
which is allocated by Trinity College who base its selection on academic merits. The
scholarship is for Scottish students staying at UofT on exchange. Previously one of our
students received C$3,500.


As an exchange student on a student visa, an individual is eligible to work only on-
campus, provided that they apply for and are granted such a position.


Entry Visas
Citizens of certain countries and territories will require a visa to visit Canada. View list on

Study Permit
Students from many countries may require a permit in order to study in Canada. To
obtain a permit you must contact a Canadian embassy or consulate. The process can take
up to 3 months.


Housing is not guaranteed; the exchange office applies on behalf of exchange students.
Prices range from CDN$600 to $1,100 per month. There is a mandatory meal plan for
most residences.
Residence is difficult to find in Toronto, especially on-campus, but they try to place as
many people as possible. Off campus housing can be very difficult to find.

Further information:

Housing Services:
Campus Co-op:
Tartu College:
Hotel rented by students:

Contacting our Housing Services for off-campus search help:

Grants and Loans

If you are in receipt of a maintenance grant and/or a student loan, you should inform the
awarding body that you have been selected to participate in the exchange. As the
academic year at Queen's begins in early September, rather than October, you should
request that payment be made early. The awarding body will need payment instructions,
namely details of a bank account into which it can be paid directly, or a nominated
individual to whom cheques can be posted. If payment is made to a UK bank account,
you will need to make arrangements for money to be transferred to a Canadian Bank (see
Banks below). Do not forget to obtain the necessary grant or loan application forms for
the following year. Participation in the Queen's exchange is not a course requirement for
any Edinburgh degree, so SAAS and LEAs are not obliged to award grants at a high cost
country rate.

International Student Exchange Identity Card - ISE Card

The ISE Card is a student discount card which allows students to enjoy discounts,
concessions, or other benefits at transportation companies, museums, attractions, national
parks, accommodations, restaurants and numerous other venues all over the world.

Further Information

There are 3 campuses, but most students will want to take courses at the main,
downtown, St. George campus. You can find information about, and a map of, Toronto

You can research University of Toronto at:
You can find campus maps at:

Information helpful to new international students can be found at:


There are four major banks in Canada: the Royal Bank of Canada, the Imperial Bank of
Commerce, the Toronto Dominion and the Scotia Bank. If you wish to open a bank
account you will need to take your passport, two pieces of i-d and money with which to
make a deposit. One way to transfer money is to take it in Travellers Cheques. It is
advisable to at least take sufficient to cover expenses during your first month and also to
take some dollars in cash to cover immediate expenses on arrival in Canada.

A credit card such as Access or Visa will prove useful for emergencies and you might
consider increasing your credit limit. In addition to shops and services, credit cards can be

used at certain banks to immediately obtain money from a British bank account. Previous
exchange students have advised that this is the easiest method of obtaining cash.


We hope your stay at your exchange destination will pass without any undue incident with
regard to your safety. However, as you will be staying in a different environment and
culture, you should be prepared to take necessary precautions if appropriate.

We would advise you to consult with the Study Abroad Office on your arrival and also look
at the following website which will give you up-to-date government information on the
country you will be visiting.

If you find yourself without any access to cash, without your passport, or in any other
serious kind of trouble, the British Consulate will try to help. In the unlikely event of you
being arrested for a serious offence, insist on the Consulate being informed; a consular
officer who can advise on local procedures etc will contact you as soon as possible.

Please also inform the International Office and your DOS of any problems relating to your
health or safety whilst on your study abroad exchange.


Some destinations may be more accessible than others for disabled students. If you
require any adjustments due to disability or specific learning difficulty and you wish to
study abroad please contact Helen Leitch in the International Office
( We will work together with you to explore the help available at
your host institution. It might also be helpful if you discuss this with your Director of
Studies and the Disability Office as well.


Marc Arnold                                        Edinburgh
Exchange Officer - Incoming Students               Helen Leitch
Centre for International Experience                International Office
University of Toronto                              57 George Square
214 College Street, Room 202                       Edinburgh
Toronto, Ontario M5T 2Z9                           EH8 9JU
Tel: 416-946-3739                                  Tel: 0131 651 1927
Fax: 416-978-6110                                  Fax: 0131 668 4565
Email:                     Email:

These notes are for guidance only. We have tried to keep them up to date, but
it is very difficult to do so without your input. So, if you can keep notes of any
inaccuracies in this information we should be glad to hear of them on your
return to Edinburgh. Any other observations and impressions about your stay
will also be useful and will help those students who participate in the exchange
in future years.

  International Office, University of Edinburgh, 57 George Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9JU
                         tel: 0131 651 1927 fax: 0131 668 4565


yan198555 yan198555