VIEWS: 12 PAGES: 2 POSTED ON: 1/18/2011
The storage and recycling of used tires Although they rarely garner the type of media attention that vehicle emissions receive, used tires are among the most widespread and problematic sources of waste and pollution in the world. The United States Environmental Protection Agency reported in 2003 that 290 million scrap tires were generated throughout the world. Of those 290 million tires, only 45 million (15%) were re-used for new tires called ‘re-treads.' The remaining 85% of used tires are spread among landfills and other recycling methods. Landfills are becoming less welcoming to used tires due to several factors. The first factor is an overall leaning towards recycling that is becoming prevalent in the landfill sector, along with stricter regulations facing the storage and disposal of tires. There is also a constant risk of fire inherent with storing large quantities of tires. Rubber fires can burn for months and are incredibly difficult to extinguish. The fumes from these fires are very damaging to the environment and can be deathly toxic to people and animals. Additionally, tires do not make for efficient storage due to the fact that they contain a large amount of negative space and cutting the tires into more manageable strips can be cost prohibitive. Faced with the difficulties in storing and disposing of used tires, the industry has scrambled to find legitimate outlets for all of the recycled rubber. One method of recycling used tires that has seen significant prevalence lately is tarmac leveling. When building new roads, there is often a need for large amounts of materials to be used for keeping the pitch of the road constant. Tires have proven an effective and bountiful resource for this purpose. On a smaller scale, both basketball courts and basketball sneakers are often constructed of recycled tire rubber. There also exists a method for turning the rubber from tires into a more pliable rubber that can be turned into all types of products from dog toys to machine parts. With the amount of tires the world uses increasing every year, there remains a need for more efficient and productive means of recycling and re-using tire rubber. If you would like to make sure that your tires are not going to a landfill and are instead being used for more environmentally friendly purposes, you should do a bit of research and see if there are any tire recycling organizations in your area. The next time you get a new set of tires; don't give your old ones to the repair shop. By taking them to a local tire recycler you will not only be contributing to a local business, you will be doing your part to reduce the impact that used tires are having on the environment. Michael Spooner writes on behalf of Ken Jones. He recommends you visit Ken Jones for all of your lawn tires, mower tires, tire chains, tire tubes, tractor tires and trailer tires.
Pages to are hidden for
"The storage and recycling of used tires"Please download to view full document