ROUTER L3 SWITCHES
1. Software based routing Hardware & software base. Preferably
used for hardware base routing.
2. It is used at edges of autonomous It is used inside i.e. intermediate of
system or network. autonomous system or network.
3. It is cheaper. It is costly.
4. It can be upgraded easily to support At software level it can be upgraded but
new protocols. at hardware level it is conditional since
it dependent on vendor whose L3
5. As it performs routing on software As it performs routing on hardware base
base it is preferably used where very it is preferably used at where there is
low or medium data rate is heavy data flow occurs.
requirement i.e. where there is no
continuous heavy data flow.
6. E.g. service provider edge router, E.g. data center, enterprise/
enterprise / organization edge router. organization intermediate router.