DOUGLAS COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Position Title: ELEMENTARY BUILDING ENGINEER
Reports To: Custodial Area Manager
Coordinates Work: Building Administrator
Responsible for the maintenance, cleaning and upkeep of the buildings and grounds to include
classrooms, common areas and play fields. Responsible for monitoring and performing required
inspections for various systems within the building. Develops and promotes good community relations
among various community and school clientele.
1. Monitors the work of District and contract cleaning services and reports concerns in expected levels
of performance to the Area Manager. Evaluates district personnel as required.
2. Inspects building, grounds and equipment to ascertain repair and maintenance needs.
3. Prioritizes and executes daily work orders as needed.
4. Assists in the implementation of energy management strategies as required.
5. Maintains a working knowledge of facility operations including electrical, gas/water controls and
Heating Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems and related equipment.
6 Assists all emergency operations personnel as required.
7. Responsible for the setup of building facilities related to District meetings, special
occasions, and events.
8. Removes snow and ice from walkways and play areas as required.
9. Works with, monitors and trains effective use of cleaning and restorative materials,
equipment and cleaning methods.
10. Oversees the overall cleanliness, maintenance and sanitation of the facility, grounds and
equipment maintaining a high standard of safety and efficiency.
11. Performs all other related duties as assigned or requested.
Building Engineer - Elementary Page 1 07/05
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR FORMAL TRAINING
High school graduate or equivalent preferred
One (1) to three (3) years preferably in custodial operations or school maintenance
Ability to issue and follow written instructions
Knowledge and experience in supervision preferred
Knowledge of building maintenance
General knowledge of computers
Has the ability to work cooperatively with supervisors and co-workers
Has the ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions
Has the ability to translate complex instructions into simpler instructions for subordinates as
Has the ability to perform responsibilities without the necessity of close supervision
Has the ability to effectively communicate with the school and school District community as well
as the public at large
Has the ability to meet attendance standards and work the hours necessary to perform the
essential functions of the job
Maintains a generally positive attitude
Observes all District policies and procedures
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATION
ESSENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
Mostly clean and comfortable, occasional dirt and dust, temperature extremes, noise, some
hazardous materials and situations, some odors and fumes
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Frequent lifting twenty (20) to fifty (50) pounds
Occasional lifting fifty (50) to one hundred (100) pounds
Frequent, bending, stooping, walking, climbing, kneeling
Occasional squatting, standing, sitting, crawling
Building Engineer - Elementary Page 2 07/05
Supervises and evaluates the work of District custodial staff and monitors levels of performance for
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not
intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so
classified. This job description is not intended to create any express or implied contract of employment or
expectancy of continued employment for any definite term.
Building Engineer - Elementary Page 3 07/05