8241 Harmon Drive
Macedonia, OH 44056-1813
Bob Gaydos home: 330-468-2723
Desired Roles Business Analyst, Data Analyst
Background, • Industries: Banking, Manufacturing, Legal, Healthcare, dotcom, Higher Ed, nonprofits, Retail
Skills & Tools • Business/systems analysis, requirements gathering, coordination with interfacing applications,
change control, PERT/GANTT charting, project docs/user guides, UI design, usability studies
• Data collection, management, analysis & reporting using MS Access, SQL Server, Oracle, DB2,
Siebel CRM, Excel, XMLSpy and Windows/Unix/Linux XML and text-based tools and scripts;
data cleansing/QA, migration, transformation; DOM APIs; UltraEdit; awk; homegrown tools
• Database and data warehouse modeling, design, development & support; DB administration
of SQL Server, Access, Unify RDBMS and DB/C; ADO, DAO and JDBC; ODBC; WinSQL, Toad
• Web site setup, design and content maintenance; Manage domains, subdomains, install SSL
certs, configure DNS; Site traffic & user activity analysis of Apache & IIS logs using SQL, Perl
• System admin of Unix/Linux; Windows and Unix help desk, desktop support and training
IT Experience IT Contractor (various smaller clients), October 1998 – Present
Provide technical leadership, analysis, app. development and production support, web site design
and administration for several clients on Windows, Linux and Mac. MS Office services center
around Access database design and development and SQL Server-Access-Excel-Word integration
solutions. Web services include domain registration, hosting and promotion; site design, logos,
photography, video editing, graphics and content maintenance. Clients have included the Apple®
Store at Kent State, the Western Reserve Geriatric Education Center, the Jewish Community
Federation of Cleveland, United Jewish Appeal of Greater Toronto and Hospice of the Western
Reserve; currently developing web sites for a handful of clients.
Contractor Unix C++ & Java, VB Developer, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co, June 2008 – Oct 2008
Development and maintenance on the Tactical Pricing System, which services pricing requests
from SAP and the legacy mainframe. The pricing engine is written in C++ and Java and runs on
HP-UX and Oracle 9, while the TPS user interface is written in VB 6. Much shell scripting & SQL.
Contractor Data Analyst/Developer, National City Bank, January – May 2008
• Designed and built data mart with Access front end, output to Excel for sales trend analytics
• Maintained Access-based system for retail employee incentive payout and reporting system,
primarily coding T-SQL pass-through queries in Access against SQL Server 2000 databases.
• Assumed Business Analyst role on SBA Line of Credit dedicated project team. Facilitated
communication and coordinated with lines of business and reps of multiple interfacing
applications; managed timelines; maintained documentation; ensured compliance with
corporate information security standards; defined QA parameters and performed testing.
• As member of dedicated project team using Agile development methods, built support for
marketing promotion system into new account application logic on key.com web site.
• Development and production support on SB2 small business loan underwriting system;
Studio; ad hoc analytical DB2 and Oracle SQL queries; dynamic PDF forms using iText API.
• Performed system maintenance tasks on Linux decision engine; wrote numerous sh scripts.
Revised Sep 2010 the XML data island from the loan document source for testing and prod support diagnostics.
IT Experience Developer, 2Xi Solutions/ImageNet Litigation Support, July 2005 – April 2006
• Developed secure order entry web site to facilitate submission and tracking of incoming client
(law firm or corporate legal dept) data discovery projects. System implemented as SQL
Server-driven Java servlets using JDBC, running on Apache Tomcat with SSL security.
• Designed, developed and supported several in-house productivity tools in VBA which
maintained multiple concurrent ADO connections to operational databases:
MS Access utility to de-duplicate client records spanning dozens of databases.
It replaced a vendor-supplied equivalent by running 25-30 times faster, in hours vs days.
Interactive visual reporting tool detailing the current progress/statistics of client projects.
DB-connected Excel macros to automate labor-intensive data processing by the QC staff.
Data Analyst, PlanSoft Corporation, July 2000 - May 2001
• Responsible for producing analyses/reports from numerous web sites run by PlanSoft,
an Internet application service provider to the hospitality and meeting planning industries;
supported Sales & Marketing and data acquisition efforts.
Tools - Access, SQL Server, Excel, UltraEdit, Perl, WebTrends, Acrobat
Data sources - flat IIS log files, database records written as log entries by
ASP scripts to record session activity, and the corporate Siebel CRM database
• Created/maintained data marts/warehouses to improve query performance.
• Produced and monitored queries/macros for fraud detection.
• Development & support of multistage processes to cleanse/prepare client data for importing.
• Dynamic business environment required primarily ad hoc queries, but many
sub-processes automated using Access and Excel VBA, macros, SQL and T-SQL.
• Email list management (privacy, unsubscription, validation, filtering).
Database Administrator, Health Design Plus, December 1998 - April 2000
• Responsible for maintaining claims system database files for Health Design Plus,
a Hudson, OH based third-party healthcare administrator.
• Maintained client relationships for technical support and data exchange.
• Extensive use of Perl for manipulating data files; developed processes/software tools in Perl,
bash and C to automate data preparation and analysis tasks, such as merge/purge of
healthcare eligibility data from various clients' HR systems.
• Created and maintained web pages for corporate intranet; maintained Perl CGI scripts.
• Linux/HP-UX/SCO UnixWare system and network administration; 24x7 software and hardware
maintenance of file and application servers, web server, network printers and LAN equipment;
desktop support of Windows PCs.
Kent State University, December 1984 - October 1998
Systems & DB Administrator/Analyst, Campus Bus Service and University Information Systems
• Analysis of multi-departmental requirements; Development and production support of
relational database (Unify, Access) applications involving inventory management, service
billing, retail operations, purchasing, scheduling, transportation and telephony.
• Database design and administration using SQL DDL/DML and vendor tools; Extensive use of
sh and C with db API for business logic support and operational/administrative automation.
• Unix systems administration with 24x7 hardware/software/network support; email admin;
server hardware maintenance & operations; systems programming; kernel parameter tuning.
• Recruitment, supervision and mentoring of student programming staff.
Education Ongoing Continuing Education, 1986 - Present
Credit and non-credit coursework at KSU, CSU and Tri-C. Ongoing self-directed technical study;
currently reading Automotive Computer Codes & Electronic Engine Management Systems.
Kent State University, 1980 - 1986
Revised Sep 2010 Undergraduate and graduate-level coursework in Computer Science/Mathematics