Biodata Format for Marriage Example Passport Rationalisation Frequently Asked Questions by pje20281

VIEWS: 6,118 PAGES: 9

More Info
									        Passport Rationalisation - Frequently Asked Questions

                         The UK Regional Passport Processing Centre,
                                 British Consulate-General Madrid
      Providing a reliable passport service for customers living in Cyprus, Greece, Morocco,
                                Libya, Portugal, Spain and Tunisia

As of 1 June 2010, British passports are issued by the UK Regional Passport Processing Centre at the British
Consulate-General in Madrid, Spain.

1. Why have we changed the way we issue passports?

The overseas passport operation is self-funding and has been operating at a loss for over five years. With
increasing demand for document security (requiring the introduction of more sophisticated and expensive issuing
systems), we have to find a way to balance our books.

In order to cut our running costs and avoid a significant rise in passport fees, we need to reduce the number of
locations where we process applications and print books. The National Audit Office recommended this course of
action in 2007. It has the added benefit of reducing opportunities for fraud by having fewer blank passports in

The UK is alone among major partners in continuing to print passports abroad. Most countries repatriate all
printing and personalisation to a central domestic production facility.

2. What services will the British High Commission in Nicosia continue to provide for British
nationals living and travelling overseas?

The Consular Team will continue to provide assistance to British residents and visitors who need our help. We
have a professional and high performing consular team overseas and the changes to the passport service should
free up more time to allow them to meet the growing demand for assistance.

3. Will I have to travel to Madrid to get my passport?


If you live in the Republic of Cyprus you can send your application directly to UK Regional Passport Processing
Centre in Madrid, which is part of the British Consulate General, and they will return your new passport and other
papers by courier to your home address. This will be the quickest and easiest method.

Alternatively you can attend the British High Commission in Nicosia in person and, for the same courier fees, we
can send your application on your behalf. It will then be returned to our office for collection by you in person.

If you live in northern Cyprus, you must submit your application to our office in Shakespeare Avenue, 29 Mehmet
Akif Street, north Nicosia. This can be done between 10:30 and 12:30 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. After
you have paid the courier fee, we will then send it to the UK Regional Passport Processing Centre in Madrid. Your
passport will then be returned to the British High Commission for you to collect. You must not send your
application direct to Madrid as it will be rejected.

4. How long will it take to receive my passport?
For customers renewing a passport, we aim to return your new passport within 4 weeks. This time frame does
not take into account any delays which may occur with local post or courier services. Applications can also take
longer during busy times of the year.

If you are applying for a passport for the first time (this includes customers who are changing their name other
than by marriage or replacing old blue books, lost or stolen passports), you should allow at least 6 weeks for

We aim to process all renewal applications in 10 working days from receipt of a fully completed application. We
will always do our best to ensure the 10 working day processing target is met.

5. What if I need a passport urgently?
The front page of the passport application form invites you to enter your date of travel. Please do this if you are
travelling urgently and we will aim to meet your deadline. Alternatively, the British High Commission in Cyprus
will still be able to issue an emergency travel document for a return journey from Cyprus to the UK. If you are
travelling to a destination other than the UK, you should contact Careline Sevices, our telephone enquiry centre for
advice. Please see question 6 for contact details.

6. How can I make an enquiry about the progress of my application?
Careline Services, our telephone enquiry centre, is open from 09:00 Monday to 18:00 Friday Cyprus local time(GMT
+2) and will be able to answer questions about the passport application process, documentation required and the
progress of your application. This is an English-speaking service only.

If you are calling from Cyprus the telephone number for all passport enquiries is: +44 208 082 4736. Calls to
Careline Services will be charged at GBP 0.69 + VAT per minute on your telephone bill for the duration of the call.
Telephone service providers will also charge for the cost of the international call. Calls made on a mobile phone
may be subject to additional charges which you may wish to check before calling with your mobile phone provider.
For customers with hearing difficulties, a Textphone service is available by contacting +44 1750 725 368, charged
at the same rates as above. Please ensure you have your credit card details ready before calling.

7. How can I be sure that my passport and personal documents are safe while in transit?
We would recommend that you send your application and accompanying documents by registered mail or courier.
Completed passports and other documents will be returned by secure courier service only, for signature on

8. Is it illegal to send a passport across borders?
Not at all. Sending passports across borders is standard practice elsewhere - a large number of our passport
issuing posts process applications from neighbouring countries. This practice is also common in other countries:
Australia, Canada, the USA and most of our EU partners process passports across international borders. For
example, all US passport applications overseas are sent back to the USA. The latest passport application form no
longer states that "you must be in the country where this application is being made".

9. How will I manage while my passport is in Madrid for renewal?
If you hold an ID card, you need only send a photocopy of this with your application for your new passport. You
should therefore retain the original or use other original photo ID for identification purposes (e.g. driving licence).
We also recommend that you retain a photocopy of your old passport and evidence that you have applied for a
replacement (e.g. copy of your application form or proof of postage).

If you absolutely cannot be without your passport whilst it is being renewed and you can provide evidence of this,
you can attend the British High Commission in Nicosia in person and obtain a certified copy of your passport.
There is a fee for this service. We will then send it to Madrid, along with your completed application, on your
behalf. You will be required to pay the courier fee for this forwarding service.

10. I am a frequent traveller and use my passport constantly. Is there any way to minimise
the time I am without my passport?
You can minimise transit times by sending your application to Madrid by courier. You can also apply to renew
your passport when you are next in the UK, using the premium or fast-track services available there. For details
see the pages on urgent applications of the Identity and Passport Service’s website Our system
also allows you to apply up to nine months before your current passport expires without losing any validity (we
can add the unused validity of your old passport onto the validity of your new passport e.g. add nine months plus
10 years). This gives you the flexibility to apply at a time when you are not travelling. We recommend that you
apply at least 4 weeks before you plan to travel.

Alternatively, you can apply for a second passport. These are issued on a discretionary basis, and are for those
people who travel frequently. If you choose to apply for a second passport you will need to include a letter from
your employer setting out the professional reasons for requiring a second passport.

If you are unable to be without your passport whilst your application for a second passport is being considered by
HM Consul in Madrid, the British High Commission in Nicosia can make a certified copy of your passport and all of
the relevant pages and then forward this to Madrid on your behalf. There is a non refundable fee for this service
and applicant must attend the British High Commission in person to request this service.

11. How do I pay for my passport application?
Payment for this service is by credit card. This is the only payment option. You should print a Card Payment
Authorisation Form (pdf format), filling in your card details as instructed on the form, and enclosing this with your
application by post. DO NOT send your actual credit card. If the cardholder name is different to the applicant’s
name, please attach a photocopy of the cardholder’s passport or other photo ID with signature. The cards we
accept are Visa and Mastercard credit cards. We are unable to process Maestro cards, American Express, Diners

12. Will the cost of obtaining a passport change?
The cost of a passport issued overseas is set by Parliament in sterling and is the same everywhere. The Post Office
in the Republic of Cyprus currently charges approximately €3.50 per 60g to send an item as ‘registered’ mail to
Madrid from Cyprus. They also offer an ‘Express’ registered service which is calculated by weight. Courier
fees to Madrid from Cyprus are likely to cost up to €20. You will also need to bear the cost of return of the new
passport by courier from Madrid: the current charge is €25 for everyone applying in Cyprus.

13. How will my new passport be sent to me and how will you guarantee protection for
my personal documents and completed passport?
Return shipment from the British Consulate-General in Madrid is handled by DHL Worldwide, this costs €25. DHL
will send you an SMS/text message when your passport is being dispatched from Madrid, which will include a
tracking number. You can use this to track your passport online. DHL provide a secure delivery service within 72
hours of dispatch, dependent on which part of Cyprus you live in. The courier will need to obtain your signature on
delivery. This service represents the most secure means of ensuring that your passport reaches you. You should
be aware that there are other cheaper courier services available, but these do not meet our standards for security
and speed of dispatch.

14. Can my new passport be sent to a PO Box?
No, you must provide a home or office address, where you can sign for the package containing your new passport.

15. Why is it more expensive to apply for a passport abroad than it is in the UK?

Responsibility for the issuing of British passports is divided between the Identity and Passport Service (IPS), which
works in the UK, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), which works overseas. The IPS issues
approximately six million passports every year from seven locations. The FCO issues fewer than 400,000 passports
a year from over 100 locations. The full costs of issuing must be met through the passport fee. Although we run
an efficient operation, we cannot match the economies of scale that the IPS benefits from. Centralising passport
production in fewer locations is one way for the FCO to cover costs without any reduction in service to the
16. I have heard that older people are entitled to free passports. Will that still be the case
under this new system?
Yes, anyone born before 2 September 1929 is eligible for a free passport. You will need to obtain the relevant
form from the British High Commission. You should then send the completed form and attachments to the British
High Commission in Nicosia. They will then arrange for the passport to be processed in Liverpool, as is currently
done for such applications.

17. Can a child be included on a parent’s passport?
Since 4 October 1998, all children must apply for their own passport.

18. Have you transferred passport production elsewhere in the world?
Yes, other mergers have been successfully completed in Australasia, Europe, North America and Southern Africa.
Although we realise circumstances are different in different parts of the world, we are confident we can also
successfully streamline and improve the operation here too. In the larger UK Regional Passport Processing
Centres there are in excess of 6000 passport applications processed successfully within agreed Targets every

19. Can I apply directly to the IPS (UK based passport office) instead of Madrid?
Yes, but only if you are going to be in the UK at the time you make the application. To do so, you need to make an
appointment at a UK passport office, and you must provide an address in the UK to which the passport can be
posted. Full details are available on the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) website or from the
Passport Advice line on +44 300 222 0000 which operates 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

20. Can I travel back to the UK on my Cyprus identity card?
If your nationality is described on your identity card as “Cypriot” you can use your card to travel to the UK. If your
nationality is described on your identity card as “British” or “British Cypriot” you will need to travel with a valid

21. How do I know if my passport is machine-readable?
If your passport is machine-readable, it should have two lines of coding and chevrons on the data (photograph)
page. This will be under your photograph. If there is NO data underneath your photograph then your passport is
not machine-readable.

22. Where can I get an application form from?

You can either download the appropriate passport application form from this website or visit the British High
Commission to collect one. Please read the passport application notes carefully and make sure that each section
on your passport application form is filled out in its entirety, even if you do not think it is applicable. It is easier to
discount sections that are not required, than for the Passport Processing Centre in Madrid to write to you for
further information, which can cause lengthy delays to your application.

23. What about photographs?

DO NOT submit photographs that have been digitally altered or airbrushed in any way as they will be rejected. Do
ensure that the photos meet the new biometric criteria and do ensure that you enclose two identical and recent
photographs. One of the photographs must be countersigned by a professional who has known you for at least 2
years, but is not a relative. Please read the passport application form guidance notes carefully before you have
your photograph taken.

24. Where do I send my completed application form, supporting documents and payment

From 1 June 2010, you should send your completed application form, supporting documents and credit card
authorisation slip to:

UK Passport Service Iberia
    British Consulate General
    Torre Espacio
    Paseo de la Castellana 259D
    28046 Madrid

    25. What supporting documentation am I required to submit?

    In all cases, you will need to submit:

        1.    The correct fee,
        2.    The correct application form (C1 form for adults, C2 form for children),
        3.   A School Certificate if you are under 16,
        4.   Two photographs – one of which is signed by a professional in line with the guidance on counter
        5.   Accurate contact details in case we need to get in touch with you.
        6.   Your previous passport if you are renewing it.
    If your passport has been lost or stolen, you will need to submit the following too:

        1.   An LS01 form.
        2.   A police report written in English or accompanied by a certified translation from the Press and
             Information Office (PIO) who can be can be contacted at:

                       Press and Information Office (PIO) Apellis St.
                       Apellis St.
                       1456 Lefkosia (Nicosia), Cyprus
                       tel: +357 22801117 fax: +357 22666123

    Additional photographic or identity documentation may also be required.

    If you are applying for a passport for the first time the additional documentation required will vary depending on
    where you were born and in what year.

    Born before 01/01/1983 in the UK, you must include:

·   Your original full UK birth certificate,

·   Your father's original full UK birth certificate or his original registration/naturalisation certificate,

·   Your father’s original marriage certificate and

·   The passports of both of your parents.

    Born after 01/01/1983 in the UK, you must include:
·   Your full UK birth certificate,

·   The full UK birth certificate or the original registration/naturalisation certificate of your British mother or British
    father. If that parent was also born after 01/01/1983 additional documentation from a British grandparent will
    be required – see below.

·   Your parent’s marriage certificate, and

·   The passports of both of your parents.

    Born before 01/01/1983 outside the UK, you must include:

·   Your original Consular birth registration certificate, your original local birth certificate or your original
    registration or naturalisation certificate,

·   Your British father's original full UK birth certificate or his original registration/naturalisation certificate,

·   Your British father’s original marriage certificate,

·   The passports of both of your parents, and

·   A photocopy of your ID card and a photocopy of the data page of any other travel documents held.

    Born after 01/01/1983 outside the UK, you must include:

·   Your original Consular birth registration certificate, your original local birth certificate or your original
    registration or naturalisation certificate,

·   The full UK birth certificate or registration or naturalisation certificate of your British mother or your British
    father. If that parent was also born after 01/01/1983 additional documentation from a British grandparent will
    be required – see below.

·   Your parent’s marriage certificate,

·   The passports of both of your parents, and

·   A photocopy of your ID card and a photocopy of the data page of any other travel documents held.

    NB: If you are a British parent and you are applying for your child’s first passport and you were born after
    01.01.1983 you will also have to submit documentation concerning one of the child’s British grandparents. If you
    chose the grandmother, you must submit her birth certificate (short or long version). If you chose the grandfather,
    you must submit his birth certificate (short or long version) AND his marriage certificate.
A key thing to remember is that all documents (unless otherwise stated should be original and should be written in
English. If your documents are in any other language you must submit the original AND a certified translation of
your document which must be obtained from the Press and Information Office. Please see above for contact

26. What happens if I send the wrong documents?
If you send an incorrect or incomplete application it may be returned to you. This will incur a second set of courier
fees when you resubmit your application. It is very important that you read all of the guidance carefully to ensure
that your application is complete before you send it and that your photographs meet the required standard.

27. What do I need to do if I want to change my name?
You must submit your original marriage certificate or Deed Poll. If changing your name by Deed Poll your
application must be accompanied by three pieces of evidence that you are already using your new name. This can
include a driving licence, a health card, an ID card, a bank statement, a utility bill, a pay slip or a school certificate.
If the name change is for a child, both parents must agree the change and sign a declaration to that effect. Both
parents must also submit a photocopy of their own passports.

28. Will the way a deceased person’s passport is cancelled be changed?
No. A passport belonging to a deceased person should continue to be returned to the nearest British passport
issuing authority. In the United Kingdom, the passport should be returned to any regional passport office.
Overseas, the passport should be returned to the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. You will
still need to provide the passport, a copy of the original death certificate and a completed D1 Form.
If the passport is lost or unavailable, please advise us and complete a Lost and Stolen Form (LS01 form). This will
need to be submitted with the copy of the original death certificate and the completed D1 Form.
Depending on your wishes, the passport can be cancelled and returned to you or alternatively we can securely
dispose of it on your behalf.

29. I will be travelling to Libya and I need an Arabic stamp in my British passport. Can the
British High Commission in Nicosia still issue this stamp?
Yes. Since 11 November 2007, the Libyan authorities have required all travellers entering and exiting the country
to have an Arabic transcript of their passport's details page.
The British High Commission can provide a translation of the fields from the biodata page (i.e. name, date of birth,
etc.) in the form of a stamp onto a blank passport page. This impression is entered onto the first available visa
page. There is currently a charge for this service but we are able to action requests on the same day at our public
counter. Our opening hours can be found on our website.
After the stamp has been entered in the passport, applicants should approach the Libyan Embassy in Nicosia for
the Arabic details to be entered. This can be done at the same time as your application for a Libyan visa.
The Libyan Embassy can be contacted at:
Leoforos Stassinou 7
1060 Nicosia,

Tel: +357 22 46 00 55
Fax: +357 22 45 27 10

Office hours: Monday – Friday 08:00 -14:00

30. What if I later find a passport I have reported as lost or stolen? Do I need to return it
to Madrid?
No, if you are abroad you can return it to the nearest British Consulate as soon as possible. If you are in the UK,
you should return your passport to the nearest Identity and Passport Service Office. If you are in Cyprus, return it
to the British High Commission in Nicosia.
Once you report your passport as lost or stolen, the passport is electronically cancelled and you are not able to use
it as legal proof of identity, nationality or for any other legal purpose. You must not use it to travel, as this may
cause the passport to be impounded by the Immigration Service at UK ports or airports, and if attempting to travel
overseas, you could face deportation or arrest. You must also not use it as a means of identification, as this may
be detected as a potentially fraudulent act

31. I am have just given birth in Cyprus and my baby is a British Citizen. Do I need to apply
for a British style birth certificate and can this still be done at the British High Commission
in Nicosia?
Obtaining a British style birth certificate is not a legal requirement and you do not need one to apply for a British
passport if you were born in Cyprus. However, parents often take advantage of this service for the following
           i.        The British High Commission sends details of all births registered to the GRO (General Register
                    Office) in the UK on the January following the date of registration. This means that the event
                    is registered in the UK and it enables parents to obtain additional copies of the birth certificate
                    should they later become required. These are charged at the same price as if the child had
                    been born in the UK.
           ii.      British birth certificates are readily accepted by other authorities and educational institutions
                    and they do not require translation.
           iii.     British birth certificates clearly state that the holder is a British Citizen and specifies under
                    which section of the relevant Nationality Act this citizenship is derived from.
           There is a fee for this service and the documents required for this service are as follows:
           i.        A completed Birth Registration form.
           ii.      The child's birth certificate and if the child is not British by birth, a Certificate of Registration.
           iii.      The passports of both parents and any additional document providing evidence of the British
                    Nationality of both parents if applicable. This can be a full long form UK birth certificate (full
                    long form birth certificates include parents names) or a birth certificate issued by another
                    country when accompanied by a Certificate of Registration or a Certificate of Registration
                    Naturalisation. NB: If the parent passing Nationality was born after 01 January 1983, you will
                    also need to submit a birth certificate of the child’s Grandmother or the birth certificate and
                    marriage certificate of the child’s Grandfather if that Grandparent was born in the UK. If the
                    Grandparent was born out of the UK alternative documentation will be required. Please
                    attend our offices for further advice.
           iv.      The parent’s marriage certificate.
           v.       If applicable, a letter confirming Crown Service and that the parent was recruited in the UK is
                    also required if the child was born outside of the UK because a parent was posted to the
                    country in question because of Crown Service.
           vi.      Supporting evidence of any name change of the child or either parent. Please note that only
                    an adoption certificate, a Deed Poll or a marriage/divorce certificate is accepted.
           vii.     Copies of both parent’s ID cards.
Please note: All documents must be written in English or accompanied by a certified copy and a certified
translation from the Press and Information Office (PIO). Please see question 25 for contact details.

32. Does my marriage to a British national make me eligible for a British Passport?
No - you do not automatically become a British citizen because you are married to a British man or woman.
Before 1949, if a woman married a British man she automatically became a British citizen. This is no longer the
The Home Office in the UK processes applications for British citizenship. However, if you are resident in Cyprus,
you must apply through the British High Commission in Nicosia – do not send your application to Madrid. We will
then forward your application for British Citizenship on your behalf. The benefit of this is that it allows your
original documentation to remain in Cyprus for the duration of the application process, which will take
approximately 6 months. If you have any questions about applying for British Citizenship, including eligibility,
please see the Home Office website for detailed guidance. The website address is
Alternatively you can contact them by e-mail at (it may take up 10 days to
receive a reply to your email) or by post at:
          General Enquiries Section
          Home Office Nationality Group
          PO Box 306
          L69 2UF
They can also be contacted via telephone on 0845 010 5200 between 8.30am and 6pm Monday to Friday excluding
UK public holidays. (Please note that this number is heavily subscribed to and you may have to be patient in
getting through.)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Customers should not make any travel
arrangements until their new passport is received. The FCO
 cannot be held responsible for costs incurred as a result of
                  disrupted travel plans.

To top