Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa History 1928 Niumalu Hotel opens on the site where Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa now stands. 1954 Fritz B. Burns and Henry J. Kaiser purchase the Niumalu Hotel with eight oceanfront acres of the John Ena Estate. 1955 Construction begins on thatched-roof guest cottages with 70 guest rooms and suites. The Tapa Room, gardens and three swimming pools are also completed. 1957 Ocean Tower is completed (Ocean Tower is now Ali‗i Tower®). Geodesic dome showroom is erected on January 15 in just 20 hours. It opens on February 17 for the premiere of ―Around the World in 80 Days‖ and the Symphony Polynesia, starring the famed Alfred Apaka. 1958 Village Tower is built (Tapa Tower® now stands in its place). Golden Dragon Restaurant opens in the Ocean Tower main lobby serving Szechuan and Cantonese cuisine. 1960 The expansion of the Village continues with the addition of Diamond Head Tower®. 1961 Conrad Hilton acquires a majority of the property. Hilton-Burns company is founded and the Hawaiian Village becomes Hilton Hawaiian Village. 1965 Hilton Lagoon Apartments are completed with 279 apartments. 1968 Rainbow Tower® opens with the world‘s largest ceramic-tile mosaic spanning 286 feet high by 26 feet wide on each end of the tower. More than 16,000 colorful tiles are used to complete the mosaic. 1969 Mid-Pacific Conference Center superstructure is completed, including the Coral Ballroom and a garage with a parking capacity of 1,800. 1970 Rainbow Bazaar opens with more than 40 ethnic shops and restaurants, a Thai temple, a replica of a Japanese pagoda, and an entire Japanese farmhouse – which was shipped from Japan. 1977 Fritz Burns sells 50 percent equity interest in Hilton Hawaiian Village to Prudential Insurance Company of America. 1979 Village Tower is torn down. 1981 Legendary headliner Don Ho begins performing at the Hilton Dome on December 26. 1982 Tapa Tower is opened on the site of the former Village Tower. The total number of hotel rooms becomes 2,614. Plans for a $100 million architectural renewal begin. Bali and Tapa Café restaurants open in the Tapa Tower. In the evenings, Tapa Café becomes the site of the Pasta Festival. 1987 Ocean Tower is renovated and ―rebuilt‖ with two additional floors added. Renamed the Ali‘i Tower, it becomes the Village‘s exclusive ―hotel within a hotel‖ for guests who desire higher levels of service, such as private concierge service and registration. The project was part of the overall Village master plan, and included the construction of the Main Lobby building. 1988 Kaiser-Burns‘ master plan, calling for four ―skyscraper hotels,‖ is completed. Hilton Hawaiian Village, now offering 2,523 rooms, has a grand reopening. Hilton Hawaiian Village completes its milestone, $100 million architectural renewal, ―Return to Paradise.‖ As part of ―Return to Paradise,‖ the hotel unveils its new porte cochere and open-air lobby, which provide breathtaking views of the 10,000-square-foot Super Pool and Waikiki Beach. Bali and Golden Dragon restaurants re-locate to the Rainbow Tower following the completion of ―Return to Paradise.‖ Rainbow Lanai Restaurant and Paradise Lounge also open in the Rainbow Tower. Bali is renamed ―Bali by the Sea‖ to reflect its oceanfront location. 1996 The Tapa Bar and main lobby are renovated. 1998 Hilton Hotels Corporation buys Prudential‘s share of Village ownership, making the Village a true Hilton property. 1999 The Hilton Dome is torn down. Construction of Kalia TowerTM begins. 2001 The 453-room, 25-story Kalia TowerTM opens culminating what was the first major resort development in Waikiki in more than a decade. The tower offers tropical gardens, spacious walkways, waterfalls and Hawaiian art, creating a new gateway to the Village. Lagoon Tower completes an extensive renovation, and Hilton Grand Vacations Club begins offering a new category of accommodations at the Village — studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom condominium suites. Mandara Spa opens on the 4th floor of the Kalia Tower. Independently owned and operated, the spa provides hotel guests with a full-service spa and salon. 2005 Ground is broken in June on the site of the Ocean Crystal Chapel, a $6 million chapel that will become Waikiki‘s first free-standing resort chapel. 2006 The $6 million Ocean Crystal Chapel opens with a lavish grand opening ceremony culminating years of planning and nine months of construction. Set amidst lush landscaping and waterfalls, the chapel seats 85 people and offers stunning visuals. Ground is broken on the site of The Grand Waikikian Tower, a 39-story timeshare tower that will be the seventh tower on the grounds of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Construction is expected to last through 2008. Restoration of the Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon fronting the Hilton Hawaiian Village begins. The project is expected to last until late 2007. ―The Tapa Makers‖ statue is unveiled at the Tapa Tower, portraying master tapa maker, Puanani Van Dorpe and Lauhuki a me La‘ahana, the Patron Goddesses of Tapa making. ―The Tapa Makers‖ is the latest in a series of art pieces dedicated to preserving and perpetuating the Hawaiian culture at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Van Dorpe‘s statue joins those of entertainer Alfred Apaka and hula dancer ‗Iolani Luahine at the Village. 2007 The Hilton Hawaiian Village wins its second Green Business Award from the State of Hawaii. The award is part of the statewide Green Business Program, a partnership between the State Department of Health, Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, along with the Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii. The award is given to companies that employ innovative ―green‖ practices and do their part to ensure that residents and visitors continue to enjoy a healthy environment. Starbucks opens on the ground floor of Kalia Tower on June 25 in the space formerly occupied by Niumalu Café. The outlet is the 18th such location in a Hilton hotel in North America. Blackstone, a private-equity firm, acquires Hilton Hotels Corporation in a $26 billion merger agreement. Blackstone‘s portfolio of world-class hotel properties includes La Quinta Inns and Suites. The Duke Paoa Kahanamoku Lagoon re-opens on December 28 after a yearlong, $15 million restoration project. 2008 Golden Dragon Restaurant closes on February 4 after nearly 50 years of serving Szechuan and Cantonese dishes, including its signature items: imperial beggar‘s chicken and lobster curry with fried haupia. Olive the Black Swan is introduced to Hilton‘s famed wildlife collection. A native of Australia, she was hatched in 2001, and was first received on March 10, 2008 at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas. She is Hilton‘s only Black Swan. Village Steak & Seafood Restaurant moves into the location previously occupied by Golden Dragon on May 27. Kahu Curt Kekuna of Kawaiaha‗o Church officiates a blessing for the restaurant, which is headed by Chef Andrew Yagami. Starbucks‘ second location at the Hilton Hawaiian Village opens on June 30 in the Ali‗i Plaza area between Ali‗i and Diamond Head towers. Historical Overview In the district of Waikiki, where the Pi‗inaio Stream entered the ocean and created a wide delta lay the area called ―Kalia.‖ This section of Waikiki was made up of mosaic lokoi‗a (fishponds) and patches of kalo (taro) that gave the area a distinctive look. Kalia had been a place of beauty, natural abundance, and a gathering place for highborn chiefs. The plentiful fishponds of Kalia and their ocean harvest were under the oversight of the ali‗i. The maka‗ainana (common people) of the area supplied their chiefs with an abundance of food from the lavish fishponds. In the early 1920s, small clusters of cottages known as Cressaty‘s Court and Hummel‘s Court offered lodging at Kalia, and then in 1926, the Niumalu Hotel was built. The Niumalu featured a Hawaiian-style feel with the comforts of a resort. In 1954, entrepreneur Henry J. Kaiser and partner Fritz Burns purchased eight oceanfront acres of the John Ena Estate in Waikiki to build a resort. Requiring additional property for such an ambitious undertaking, the partners purchased the adjacent site of the Niumalu Hotel and several contiguous lots from individual owners totaling 20 acres of what Hilton Hawaiian Village currently occupies. In mid-1955, guest cottages were hand-built by Hawaiian Samoans from Oahu who came to the site to weave coconut fronds into thatching. Within three months, workers had completed the first unit of 70 guest rooms and suites, and the Tapa Room (now the site of the Tapa Tower), with gardens and three swimming pools. Next, construction was completed on four traditional lanai houses ranging from 18 to 56 guest rooms, on the site where the Rainbow Tower stands. The Long House was the first meeting facility— a convention auditorium patterned after a Polynesian chief‘s hut with a seating capacity of 1,000. Since the occupancy rate of the hotel was rapidly growing, more rooms were needed. Within 90 days, the three-story, 100-room Ale Ale Kai was built. Giant palm trees were moved in, tropical gardens planted, and particular care was taken to preserve the existing flora. Guest facilities were expanded with the addition of the Ale Ale dining room, cocktail lounge and beach terrace for dancing (later called the Makahiki Restaurant and Garden Bar). The Tiare Tahiti nightclub, the Golden Dragon (still one of Honolulu‘s finest Cantonese restaurants), and the Sunset Room (today‘s Hau Tree Bar®) were subsequently added. The Hilton Dome, a geodesic dome at the corner of Kalia Road and Ala Moana Boulevard, was the first of its kind built in the world and was the brainchild of Kaiser and the design of Buckminster Fuller. Fuller wanted a showroom that would afford a completely unobstructed view of the stage from anywhere in the room. Standing 49.5 feet high and 149 feet in diameter, the aluminum structure was assembled in just 20 hours for the world premiere of ―Around the World in 80 Days‖ and the Symphony Polynesia, starring the famed Alfred Apaka. The next task was development of the sand surface along the beach and ocean sports area, accomplished by blasting and dredging the shoreline and replacing it with 30,000 cubic yards of sand. Palm trees were added to shade and enhance the spectacular beauty of the beach, named after Olympic swimmer and beach boy, Duke Kahanamoku. Shortly thereafter, the tropical lagoon and catamaran pier were created. Today, the Village fronts and maintains the widest beach in Waikiki. During the 1950s, the Kaiser-Burns‘ master plan called for four additional ―skyscraper hotels.‖ The skyscrapers included the 14-story Ocean Tower constructed in 1957, and the 13-story Village Tower built in 1958. The 17-story Diamond Head Tower and the 31-story Rainbow Tower were constructed in 1960 and 1968, respectively. The 10-story Diamond Head apartment building was purchased in 1966. In 1961, hotelier Conrad N. Hilton purchased Kaiser‘s interest in the hotel. The name Hilton was added to Hawaiian Village, and the familiar ―Kaiser pink‖ was replaced by ―Hilton blue.‖ Due to continued growth, the 25-story Hilton Lagoon Apartment‘s room count increased 279 apartments in 1965, giving the Village 1,556 guest rooms. The Mid-Pacific Conference Center superstructure was completed in 1969 and rests atop the 1,800 vehicle-capacity parking garage, becoming the hotel‘s major meeting facility. Completed in 1970, Rainbow Bazaar with more than 40 shops and restaurants sat along Rainbow Drive. Housed within the complex is a Thai temple, massive granite lions guarding the moon gate at the entrance to Hong Kong Alley, a replica of a 50-foot-high Japanese pagoda and an entire Japanese farmhouse, which was disassembled and shipped from Japan to be painstakingly reassembled in the bazaar. In December 1977, Fritz B. Burns, his son F. Patrick Burns and close associates sold their 50 percent equity interest in Hilton Hawaiian Village to Prudential Insurance Company of America. Hilton Hotels Corporation, through a subsidiary, retained the remaining 50 percent equity interest in the resort, and Hilton continued to manage the hotel on behalf of the joint ownership until purchasing Prudential‘s share in 1998. Since then, Hilton Hawaiian Village has been owned and operated entirely by Hilton Hotels Corporation. Then in 1988, the Hilton Hawaiian Village completed its milestone, $100 million architectural renewal, ―Return to Paradise.‖ As part of ―Return to Paradise,‖ the hotel unveiled a new porte cochere and open-air lobby, which provide breathtaking views of the 10,000-square-foot Super Pool and Waikiki Beach. Bali by the Sea, the hotel‘s award-winning restaurant, converted into open-air dining experiences with stunning views of Waikiki Beach and the Pacific Ocean. The Village‘s Ali‗i Tower unveiled its new concierge tower fronting the beach. Additionally, the hotel completely renovated its signature Coral Ballroom, and added the South Pacific Ballroom and Sea Pearl Suites, giving the Hilton Hawaiian Village the largest meeting and convention facilities in the Pacific. In what would signal the beginning of the revitalization of Waikiki, the legendary Hilton Dome is torn down to make way for the $95 million Kalia Tower, which would become Waikiki‘s first major resort development in more than a decade. Over the years, the Hilton Dome hosted legends such as Alfred Apaka and Don Ho, and before its end, John Hirokawa‘s ―Magic of Polynesia‖ magic show. The 453-room, 35-story Kalia Tower opened in 2001 offering tropical gardens, spacious walkways, waterfalls and Hawaiian art, creating a new gateway to the Village. With the opening of the Kalia Tower came the opening of the independently owned and operated Mandara Spa on the 4th floor of the tower. The spa features Hawaiian-Balinese furniture and 25 treatment rooms offering a variety of Hawaiian-themed treatments such as Hawaiian Lomi Lomi Massage, Vanilla & Pikake Facial and the Hawaiian Pohaku (Warm Lava Stones) Massage. The treatments are performed by therapists and estheticians that must be professionally licensed in the state of Hawaii. That same year in 2001, the Lagoon Tower also completed an extensive renovation, and opens with Hilton Grand Vacations Club offering a new category of accommodations at the Village – studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom condominium suites. As demand for hotel rooms in Waikiki grow, so does the demand for Waikiki as a destination for weddings. Best Bridal Hawaii and the Hilton Hawaiian Village entered into an agreement to begin planning and building the Ocean Crystal Chapel, Waikiki‘s first free-standing resort chapel. On June 22, 2005, ground was broken on the site, which is centrally located between Tapa and Rainbow Towers. A retail store is re- located and an existing gazebo is torn down for the construction of the chapel. Nine months later on March 16, 2006, the hotel and Best Bridal hold a lavish grand opening ceremony for the $6 million chapel. The chapel offers views of the ocean and seats 85 people inside its stunning location. As part of its commitment to the community around it, in 2006 the Hilton Hawaiian Village began restoring the state-owned Duke Paoa Kahanamoku Lagoon fronting the hotel. The restoration process began with the installation of seven salt-water wells and a pumping system to improve the water flow and facilitate water turnover. The pumps help increase the turnover to approximately five times a day – a dramatic improvement over the previous turnover of every 48 hours. A year-long project included a walkway around the entire lagoon creating a public promenade with extensive landscaping. Later that year, Hilton Grand Vacations Club holds a groundbreaking on the site of what will become the 39-story Grand Waikikian Tower. The construction is expected to last until early 2009. About the Village Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa is Waikiki‘s only self-contained destination resort. A vacationer, business traveler or conventioneer finds everything necessary for a visit to paradise, yet also is within walking distance of everything Waikiki offers. The resort spans 22 acres, offering the widest stretch of beach on Waikiki, a beachfront lagoon, waterfalls, five pools, gardens, an exquisite art collection and exotic wildlife, as well as nightly entertainment including the King‘s Jubilee every Friday, a Hawaiian music and dance celebration that ends with a brilliant fireworks display on the beach. In addition, the Village also boasts more than 90 shops, 20 restaurants and lounges, and the independently owned and operated Mandara Spa. For reservations, call toll-free at 1-800-HILTONS (1-800-445-8667) from the U.S. and Canada, call the resort directly at (808) 949-4321, or visit www.hilton.com. For more information on Hilton Hawaiian Village and the Hilton ohana in Hawaii, visit www.hiltonfamilyhawaii.com.