Carter’s Station at Albany The first house of worship was built on the site where the cemetery now is. It was established in 1790. The present church was built in 1878. Location: Carter’s Station Church, one of Greene County’s most historic places of worship, is located near the present Rogersville/Greeneville Road (Tennessee 70) eight miles northwest of Greeneville. It is at a crossroads of Babb Mill Road and the Lonesome Pine Trail, the North-South road of Greeneville to Rogersville. The Babb Mill Road runs east and west through Rheatown to the Hawkins County line near Bulls Gap. It was once an alternate route for traffic between Knoxville and Virginia. The Lonesome Pine Trail (Tennessee 70) in the later 19th century was a part of the road from the Carolinas to Southwest Virginia. Early Settlers: Here at Carter’s Station, early white settlers coming from New Jersey by way of Pennsylvania, Virginia and Surrey County, North Carolina, found a fortified Indian Village, made peace with the Indians, and established a Settlers Fort in 1783. Led by Captain John Carter, the settlers many of whom were also Carters named the fort Carter’s Station. The site of the fort, near a good spring described by the Reverend T.S. Walker, as gushing over beds of yellow pebbles, is possibly identifiable by some of the foundation stones. It is found on privately owned property of George Malone of John Stoffel, formerly the Pates place. On September 20th, 1787, Joseph Carter, possibly a brother of John Carter, received from the state of North Carolina a land grant of 250 acres, which included the site of the fort, as well as the cemetery the camp meeting ground and the present church site. This land was sold in 1820 by Joseph Carter to John Olinger. Mr. Olinger directed in his will that the land only be rented, not sold, until his younger children were of age. In January 1836, the trustees of Carter’s Station meeting house and camp ground purchased nine acres of this land surrounding the meeting house for $9.00 an acre. The trustees were Benjamin Williams, David Key, Isaac Harmon, Ellis Carter, Ezekiel Carter, James Goodin and John Progue. Church Buildings: In 1790 settlers of Carter’s Station erected on the site of the present Carter’s Station cemetery, a small building to be used as a house or worship and as a school. They organized a Christian Society and held service in this building until 1803 when a second church building was constructed on the site of the present church. This second church building was constructed of hewn pine logs. The two-story building was covered with a shingle roof and had but one window. This building burned and was replaced in 1836 by a one-story structure with a fireplace in one end. This building served as a schoolhouse as well as a church. Where a new church was built in 1878, the former church building was presented to the twenty-third District of Greene County to be used for educational purposes with the understanding that it was to be returned to church ownership when it was no longer used as a school. (The school was closed in 1950 and torn down in 1955.) The trustees of Carter’s Station Church at that time, when the new church was completed in 1878 included John P. Carter, Daniel L. Simpson, Jeremiah McMillian, A.M. Cash, and Elliott Jones. The school directors in Civil District #23, Greene County, Tennessee at that time were J.G. Weems, C.L. Pope and J.L. Barker. The bell, which hangs in the belfry today, was put in place by sliding it up with a rope on two tall pine saplings cut and trimmed and leaned against the belfry. Asbury Burger was one of the men who helped with this feat. Jim Maloney, who owned the original store in Albany, is said to have died of a heart attack while helping to build the steps for this church. Camp Meetings: Carter’s Station was a well-known camp meeting ground in the early 19th century. In Greeneville’s first newspaper, The Tennessee Express and Greeneville Monitor, June 14th, 1805, Jonathan Jackson announced that a camp meeting would be held at Carter’s Station to commence on August 23rd and continue four days. The Homecoming ’86 services at Carters Station August 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 1986, were held commemorating this camp meeting exactly 181 years later. R.N. Price, author of Holston Methodism, quotes the Reverend Jacob Young as saying that he attended a camp meeting at Carter’s Station where 10,000 people were assembled, an estimated figure which seems far too large, though it is said that families camped as far away as Carter’s Spring, (later known as Hull’s Springs), some two or three miles away in order to attended these camp meetings. The year of 1823 brought a great revival of religion into Carter’s Station area. The monument necessitated the building of a shed and a number of camps in which to house the camp meetings. These camp meetings were attended by people from Rogersville, Greeneville, Warrensburg, and as far away as South West Virginia in addition to the people in the local area. It was not unusual for entire families to stay at the campgrounds for days or even weeks in order to attend the camp meetings. In 1847 a larger shed was built, said to have been one of the finest in East Tennessee. It was 80 feet long and 50 feet wide, made of well-hewed timbers and carved with boards. It was almost surrounded by two rows of camps. Asbury Burger of his father told of an old scale house or something just above the church on the same side of the road just above the church ground fence. There were large hewed timbers laid on rocks for foundation. It seems that this might have been the remains of the camp meeting shed. Early Ministers: Some of the early ministers who preached at Carter’s Station were Jacob Young, Jonathan Jackson, and Benjamin Van Pelt, whose home on Lick Creek was a favorite stopping place for Bishop Asbury, although there is no record of Asbury actually preaching at Carter’s Station. Benjamin Williams served as a trustee as early as 1836 and later as a licensed preacher at Carter’s Station. He was buried behind the church (built in 1836) and it is recorded that 16 of his children paid one dollar each to have his grave covered with flat stones to mark and protect it. Later some of his great grand children had a concrete vault built over these stones and placed a marker on this grave. Ministers who have gone out from the church include a great grandson of Captain John Carter, the Reverend Daniel B. Carter who served the Methodist Episcopal Church South for about 50 years. The Reverend John Key, who removed to Monroe County, became one of the main promoters of Hiawassee College. Later Ministers: Reverend Farris in 1892 Reverend Early in 1897 Reverend Muncy Reverend Malone Reverend Builderback Reverend Harris in 1908 Reverend Ellison Reverend Fox Reverend Walker Reverend Jones Reverend William Henry Harrison 1919-1921 Reverend Werrac Reverend Booth Reverend Moor Reverend Darley Reverend John Hammer Reverend Walter M. Dean Reverend Fred D. Watson 1947 Reverend Sam Atkins Reverend J. Stanley 1950 Reverend George F. Pagans Reverend R.A. Trobough Reverend John Alkinson Reverend Allen Carpenter Reverend S. Lee Campbell Reverend T.U. Brantley Reverend Henry Harlow Reverend Ron Matthews Reverend Howard A. Pasil Reverend Claude Emmert 1977-78 Reverend Thomas Lynch 1979- Reverend John W. Hudson Reverend Miles Baines 1981- Reverend William (Bill) Hughes Reverend Meg Taylor 1990- Reverend Glen Milburn 1991-2000 Reverend Mark Wills 2000- Carter’s Station Cemetery Carter’s Station Cemetery, which is located on the hill above the church, is part of the land, which was acquired by Joseph Carter in a land grant from the state of North Carolina on September 20th, 1787. The oldest part of the cemetery lies along the public road just above the supposed location of the fort. More land for the cemetery was given later by Leza Anderson, Mack Pates, Willie Pence and the Clyde B. Austin Heirs. Since there are many unmarked graves of the early settlers and later graves whose markers have been lost, a monument was erected in 1943 simply reading “Erected to the unknown.” Among those unmarked graves is that of Captain John Carter, leader of the little band of settlers who established Carters Station. Gibson Hardin, who was scalped and killed by the Indians, is believed to have been the first person buried there, though there is no marker for this grave either. At least two of Captain Carter’s descendants, Daniel Carter and John Carter, have stones marking their graves indicating that they were soldiers of the American Revolution. Markers of former slaves are found there also. Aunt Fanny who lived and died at Maloney’s in September 21st, 1892. Peter Reed, 80 years old Died June 15th, 1898 The inscription reads “Thy Son liveth.” Names of the area are found on gravestones in the Carter’s Station cemetery: Myers, Weems, Reed, Ross, Jones, Hartman, Armitage, Maloney, Goodin, Pates, and Anderson. A vaguely remembered story is told of two brothers who went to fight in the Mexican War, when one was killed in Texas, the remaining brother packed his body in clay, placed it on an ox cart and returned home to bury him at Carter’s Station. No written record has been found on this event. Facts about two slaves buried in Carter’s Station Cemetery: (1) Aunt Fanny at Maloney’s died September 21st, 1892 at about the age of 75 years. She was a former slave of James Maloney. (2) Peter Reed, former slave of John S. Reed bequeathed to daughter Lucinda Davis, appraised value August 18th, 1855 was $850.00. Later lived on farm of William Reed and his son John S. Reed. Peter Freedman Reed married October 6th, 1873 to Mary Davis, bought a farm near Brookside, and worked at building railroad at Mosheim cut near West Greene School. Is said to have walked from Reed farm each day to work all day on railroad. A “giant of a man died in a corn field, along Roaring Fork of a heart attack.” Stories and Legends It is said that the first person to be buried in the Carter’s Station Cemetery was Gibson Hardin. He was killed by an Indian raiding party of the Chickamauga Tribe from the Chattanooga area, who took his younger son capture at the same time. As the story goes, Hardin in trying to escape the Indians, ran through the dense canebrakes along the north banks of Lick Creek and that is moccasins became entangled in the under brush and he was over taken, killed and scalped by the Indians. His friends and relatives buried his body in what is now Carter’s Station Cemetery. The son, who cleverly evaded his pursuers for a long time, was taken prisoner because the Indians admired his cunning . Later the son was taken from the Indian’s and brought back to Carter’s Station, but by that time his ways were the ways of the Indian’s and he did not adjust to the ways of his people, so eventually he returned to his Indian companions. John Wesley Hardin is believed to have been a descendant of Gibson Hardin. He was a western gunman written about along with Jessie James, William Bonney (Billy the Kid) and the Loungers. The son of a circuit riding Methodist preacher, Wesley Hardin was at one time a Sunday school Superintendent. Hardin was, among other things, something of a racist, a fact that may have been part of the beginning of his trouble. At the age of 15 he shot and killed a black man in Texas and then shot four men who went after him. Later he killed an Arkansas gunslinger, a circus rouster, a deputy and some others. His preacher father advised him to head for Mexico. On his way, Hardin was captured by state law enforcement officers. In camp that night his captors fell asleep and Hardin shot and killed both of them. This may have been the occasion when Hardin was said to have shot and killed two men while they slept because their snoring annoyed him. Hardin’s travels led him through various parts of Texas and one gunfight after another. By age 21, he had killed 40 men. The Texas Rangers at last brought him in. He stood trial and went to the Huntsville Prison, where he studied law. After serving 15 years of a 25-year sentence, he was pardoned. Hardin became an El Paso lawyer, but his wild ways remained with him. When he argued over a young woman with a young man, named John Selman, Selman’s father took matters in his own hands to protect his son. When Hardin was rolling dice in the Acme Saloon, the elder Selman walked to the door and shot him dead. (This story of John Wesley Hardin is taken from a “Weekender” of the Greeneville Sun Saturday June 8th, 1985, written by Cameron Judd, whose information came from Bell O’Neals Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters). Tim Hardin, a descendant of John Wesley Hardin, singer/songwriter of such romantic ballads as “If I Were a Carpenter,” “Single Song of Freedom,” “Misty Roses,” “Don’t Make Promises,” and “Green Rocky Road” was found dead in his Hollywood apartment in 1980. He was 39 at the time of his death. Hardin’s father was a bass player and his mother was a violinist with the Portland Symphony in Oregon. Hardin dropped out of high school in Engone, Oregon, after 3 years and enlisted in the Marines. He called the move “a legal loop-hole that allows the prisoner to sign himself into another prison from parental care to the military.” He was stationed in Okinawa, San Diego, and Twenty-nine Pines, California. Name Carter’s Station at Albany The name of the fort, Carter’s Station, became the name of the U.S. Post Office located nearby. In 1851, according to a Table of Post Offices in the U.S. there was a post office at Carter’s Station in Greene County, Tennessee with Elliott Jones as postmaster. Presumably the post office was in the Jones’ home on the banks of Lick Creek in the house of brick, which was later owned by Mack Pates, then Willie Pence, Herb Myers, Clyde Austin, George Malone, John Stazell and son. In 1886 a post office was established with George A. Maloney as the Post-Master, replacing the one operated by Elliott Jones. This post office was located in the store building, which was owned and operated by George Maloney. The post office consisted of a small desk with pigeonholes above it for mail. This desk is now owned by Katherine Ward Long, a descendant of George A. Maloney. The name Albany replaced the name of Carter’s Station for the post office following the completion of the East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia Railroad, which passed through East Tennessee. Confusion arose in the delivery of mail when a depot in near by Carter County began using the name of Carter’s Station. It was because of this duplication of names that the name of the Greene County post office became Albany. Although the post office at Albany ceased to operate with the coming of Rural Free Delivery (in 1910), the name Albany is used to designate the community. However, Carter’s Station church and Carter’s Station cemetery retain the name of the pioneer settlement. 1979—Special Events and Celebration The 101st anniversary of the completion of the present Carter’s Station Church building was celebrated on July 29th, 1979 with an all day service. The Reverend Timberlake, Superintendent of the Morristown District, spoke at the 10:30 a.m. worship service. A covered dish meal followed at noon and T. Elmer Cox, local historian, was the afternoon speaker, followed by a program of gospel music. Mr. A. P. Carter, who served as Sunday school Superintendent for 40 years, shared stories of an earlier Carter’s Station, which he remembered from his 91 years of living in the Albany community. The Reverend Thomas Lynch was the current pastor and Jake Haun was the superintendent of the Sunday school. 1984—Bicentennial of American Methodism On Sunday April 29th, 1984 people from 115 United Methodist Churches in the Morristown District celebrated the Bicentennial of American Methodism. The gathering was held at Carter’s Station United Methodist Church at Albany. The service of celebration began at 3:30 p.m. and concluded at 5:30 p.m. with an old-fashion supper on the grounds. The entire program was held out doors featuring singing led by a minister from England or Ireland and a message by Dr. J. Spurgion McCart, superintendent of the Morristown District. The Reverend Arthur Russell arrived on horseback and was welcomed by the Reverend Miles Baines, who was pastor of Carter’s Station at this time. More than 200 United Methodists enjoyed the old-fashion camp meeting of singing and preaching and dinner on the grounds. 1986—Homecoming ’86 At Carter’s Station a celebration of the camp meeting of the past took place. Homecoming ’86 celebrated on August 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, 1986, with a three evening camp meeting commemorating the camp meetings held on Carter’s Station camp grounds in the 1800’s. The dates of the meetings corresponded with those announced in the Tennessee Express and Greeneville Monitor in 1805, 181 years before by Jonathan Jackson. In an outdoor service on Friday evening the 22nd, Ross Anderson, minister of the Cedar Grove Church of Christ in Atlanta, Georgia and a descendant of Benjamin Williams, reviewed the history of Carter’s Station church and cemetery and brought an inspiring message. He arrived for the service driving a buggy drawn by a handsome black horse owned by Dane Hartman. His mother, Betty Ross Anderson and his young son Scott Anderson accompanied him. All three were dressed in a style suited to the 1800’s. The New Grace Singers, under the leadership of Wayne Chandler were great singers on Saturday evening August 23rd. The Reverend Thomas Lynch of Christ United Methodist Church and a former minister at Carter’s Station brought the message. The guest singers were the Hopson Gospel singers. On Sunday August 24th at 11:00 a.m. the guest minister were the Reverend Gordon Redenhour, superintendent of the Morristown District. The Reverend Bill Hughes, pastor of Carter’s Station United Methodist Church, introduced the speaker. Linda Carter of Romeo United Methodist Church was guest soloist. After a dinner on the grounds, John Goodin, attorney-at-law of Johnson City, and a descendant of James Goodin, one of the early trustees of the Carter’s Station church, spoke of the history of his family in the Carter’s Station area. A service under the trees with the Gospel Echoes, a singing group composed of Hadley Carter and his family, was a fitting close to the 1986 camp meeting. Hadley is a descendant of Captain John Carter. Additional Homecoming Activities in 1986 There were parades in Mosheim and Greeneville. Members of the Carter’s Station congregation along with the Mosheim Homemakers club, built a float representing a brush Arbor for camp meeting dressed in old fashioned costumes and rode on the float singing hymns. The float interred both the Mosheim parade and the Greeneville parade. 1990—Founder’s Day Bicentennial of Carter’s Station Church The Bicentennial of Carter’s Station Church was observed on August 26th, 1990. With a Founder’s Day Celebration under the leadership of Reverend Meg Taylor, pastor of Carter’s Station United Methodist Church. The names of men who had led the community in serving the Lord were recalled. The women, who had played a great role in supporting the church in its mission at Carter’s Station over the years, received special recognition. Among those faithful women were Allie Allen, Leza Anderson, Agnes Wilhoit Ball, Nola Kate Berry, Minnie Carter, Irene Daughtery, Laura Collette Hartman, Della Ottinger Holland, Clementine Carter Keller, Malissa Payne Kenny, Matilda Myers Maloney, Nora Carter Morrison, Stella Woods Myers, Hila McMillian, Willie Pates Pence, Elizabeth Wells Reed, Ethel Reed Ross, Annie King Simpson, and Phoche Brown Vaughn. The Reverend J. Ronald Hammond, superintendent of the Morristown District, delivered the sermon at 11:00 a.m. After a dinner on the ground, Mr. Richard Doughty spoke of the history of Methodism in East Tennessee and he called the part his Carter and Maloney ancestors played in founding Carter’s Station. Special music was provided throughout the day by the Sweet Destiny Duo, Keith Idell, the Carter Family and Moore, and the Good Neighbor Quartet with Keith Kilday. *********************************************************************** More History of Carter’s Station at Albany By: William “Bill” Bradley, W. H. Reynolds, The Greeneville Herald and Tennessee The Dangerous Example by: Mary French Caldwell Carter’s Station was located on the old Babb Mill Road, which ran east to west through the county from Rheatown to the Hawkins County line near Bulls Gap, Tennessee. In 1783, Joseph Carter settled along Grassy Creek. Because he was one of several Carter families who settled there, the settlement was named Carter’s Station. Joseph Carter received his land grant on November 20th, 1787, from the state of North Carolina. As protection against the Indians, a fort was erected there by the pioneers. The original grant of 250 acres, made to Joseph Carter, included the sites of the fort, the church, the cemetery and the camp meeting grounds. The fort was built on the crest of a hill with bluffs on three sides. The settlers had a commanding view of the countryside. In 1790, a Christian society was organized and a preaching place was built on the hill where the present Carter’s Station cemetery is located. Services were held here until after the Great Revival Era. The great revival movement began in the West about 1799, and had a profound influence on the settlers. During the early years, the church had traveling preachers along with some local preachers. Reverend Benjamin Van Pelt and Reverend Benjamin William’s were two local preachers at Carter’s Station. Reverend Van Pelt moved to Carter’s Station from Alexandria, Virginia in 1790. His sermons had a characteristic length of 30-40 minutes and never more than an hour. The first person buried in Carter’s Station cemetery was a man by the name Hardin, who had been killed by Indians. Carter’s Station did not have much difficulty with the Indians, but Hardin was among the unfortunate few whom were killed. One tradition has it that near this settlement a while man was killed and scalped by the Indians. The are surrounding Carter’s Station was probably used as an Indian hunting ground. The Indians would sit up a summer camp there. They disliked the white man’s intrusion on their land so they sent two Indians back to avenge their people. A white man killed one of the Indians and buried him along with his tomahawk. The second Indian escaped and returned to his people. Later a group of white men returned to dig up the tomahawk which could be very useful to white men, as well as Indians. In 1803 the second church was built. It was made of hewed pine logs and was about 40 feet long, 30 feet wide and 2 stories high. The building had a board roof but only one window. At a revival in 1804, approximately 10,000 people gathered at Carter’s Station. The controversy between the “aristocratic” Presbyterians and the “poor” Methodist was one of the main topics at the revival. One of the controversial points was the Methodists habit of shouting during the services. The Presbyterians strongly objected to this practice. Reverend Van Pelt and Reverend Young were the speakers at the revival. Camp meetings, which lasted all day, were held at Carter’s Station for over 60 years. Since the people attending the meetings traveled several miles, they usually stayed several weeks. The campgrounds were located at the site of the present church and former Diamond G. Ranch. The camp meeting houses were usually very large and could hold more than a thousand people. Plain slab seats were used in these sheds. The pulpit consisted of a rude rostrum with a book board and a place to set a pitcher and candlestick. The altar was fenced off by poles in front of the pulpit. A few seats called “mourners’ benches” were placed inside the altar. Clean straw for the people to kneel on was always strewn around the altar and surrounding areas. The straw was used to prevent clothes from being soiled as the mourners knelt on the dirt floor. Many people were converted at these camp meetings. One of these people was Mrs. Mary Ann Hartman, wife of James Hartman and daughter of John M. and Sally Carter. She made her profession of religion at Carter’s Station’s last camp meeting in 1860. In 1820, Joseph Carter, Jr. sold the Carter’s Station tract to John Orlinger. Mr. Orlinger directed in his will that the tract he rented until his two youngest children were of age. In January of 1836, the trustees of the Carter’s Station meeting house purchased the surrounding land, consisting of the 9 acres which had been used for camp meetings. The trustees of the new church were Benjamin Williams, Daniel Key, Isaac Harmon, Ellis Carter, Ezekial Carter, James Goodin and John Pogue. In 1847, one of the best campgrounds shed in East Tennessee was built at Carter’s Station. It was almost completely surrounded by two rows of camps. This was the second shed built here. After the Civil War, there was a station in Carter County on the Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia Railroad called “Carter’s Station Depot.” The similarity in the two names caused confusion in mail delivery for the two places so the name of Carter’s Station, in Greene County was changed to Albany. The community has been known by this name ever since. Like all communities, news traveled rapidly through the community of Carter’s Station. Unusual news seemed to spread even faster. During the early 1800’s, murder became a frequent news item. Late one December evening in 1883, Mrs. Carrie Hunter was murdered. She was the wife of James M. Hunter and lived approximately four miles from Midway and two miles from Payne Depot (Mohawk) on Lick Creek. When she was shot and killed instantly, she was seated in a room of her home along with her husband, Mr. McMillian, an overseer for the farm, and a hired woman. Both Mr. Hunter and Mr. McMillian were counting a sum of money that had been paid to the overseer for the farm. Mr. Hunter was seated in a high-backed rocking chair near a table lamp doing her needlework. The curtains were drawn but her outline could easily be seen through the window. The murderer placed a muzzle of the gun against the corner of the window frame and fired through the glass and curtains. The load of buckshot passed through the back of the chair and entered Mrs. Hunter’s head. As she fell, she threw out her hand and knocked the lamp off the table, putting out the light. At first, Mr. Hunter and the others though the lamp exploded. After lighting another lamp, they suddenly realized what had actually happened. Two men named Moor were arrested on suspicion, but were proven innocent during the trial. No reason could be found for her murder. Authorities found no reliable clues leading to the murderer’s identity. In 1883, Napoleon Bonapart Humbard made his statement to Esquire G. H. Shawn charging that Peter Chambers, Henry McCracken, William Morgan, John Carter, John Chambers, and Andrew Chambers had robbed the county’s trustees’ safe of about $8000 in October of 1882. Humbard began his statement by telling of the murder of old man Irvin of Rheatown in 1873 by John and Peter Chambers. John Chambers had told Humbard of the murder and the events that followed. John and Peter had fled to Missouri where they committed another murder while trying to rob a man. They found the old man had only $12 in cash. The Chambers brothers then went to Kentucky and after getting a clerk in charge of the store intoxicated, they took the keys and robbed the safe of $8000. Unsuspected they remained in Kentucky while the innocent clerk was sent to the penitentiary to serve a long term for robbery. John and Peter Chambers then went to Texas where they joined the Frank and Jesse James’ gang. There John assumed the name of John Younger. Peter did not stay with the gang but returned to Greene County. After awhile John also returned and formed a society of regulators. The Regulators were aroused citizens trying to get justice in the courts by taking the law into their own hands. The society began as a lawful group but eventually turned into a band of thieves. Napoleon Humbard became a member of this group and received the secret signs and grips of the society from John Chambers. The first exploit was the robbery of M. Patton Reeves' home safe. The Reeve’s home was located in Greeneville, and is the present day Jeffers' Mortuary. Humbard described the entire robbery in very minute detail. His description of the stolen money corresponded with the recollections of Mr. Reeve. The gang was planning to rob the county trustees’ safe. Humbard, receiving his instructions from John Chambers, was to forge and temper a drill from ax-steel they had obtained. Humbard refused to make the drill, so they got Alexander Morgan, father-in- law of Peter Chambers to make it. In January of 1883, Morgan cautiously mentioned the drill. The gang became alarmed and managed to give Morgan a fatal dose of Paris green. Morgan’s sudden death was attributed to natural causes. John Chambers had once again committed murder without being caught. As a result of Humbard's statement, Peter Chambers and Henry McCracken were arrested. John Carter turned himself in but Andrew Chambers and John Chambers had already fled to another part of the country and could not be found. None of the men made any attempt to escape or protest but quietly submitted to arrest. The people of the community were shocked to learn that these men who they had trusted and respected for years, were murderers. Albany United Methodist Church’s 101st Anniversary on July 29th The Albany (Carter’s Station) United Methodist Church will celebrate 101 year in the present building by having an all-day “camp meeting” July 29th. The Reverend Timberlake, district superintendent, will speak at the 10:30 a.m. worship service. A covered dish dinner is planned for 12:00 p.m. and Elmer Cox, local historian, will be the speaker for the afternoon. The following history of Carter’s Station was prepared by Helen Reed: In Greene County about eight miles northwest of Greeneville, Tennessee, on the Lonesome Pine Trail where it crosses the Babbs Mill road, stands the Carter's Station United Methodist Church. Near here the early white settlers, coming from New Jersey by way of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Surry County, North Carolina, came upon a fortified Indian village, made peace with the Indians, and established a settlers’ fort in 1783. Led by Captain John Carter, the settlers, many of who were also Carter’s named the fort Carter’s Station. Many of the settlers and members of their families and their descendants are buried in the cemetery near the site of the fort. The first person buried at Carter’s Station was a Mr. Hardin. As the story goes, his moccasins became entangled in the brush of a canebrake on the north bank of Lick Creek, where he was overtaken and killed by the Indians. Captain Carter, who died in 1811, was also buried in the Carter’s Station Cemetery. On September 20, 1787, Joseph Carter received from the state of North Carolina a land grant of 250 acres, which included the site of the fort, the cemetery, the church, and the camp meeting ground. By 1790 when the people of the fort felt safe from the Indians, they erected, on the hill where the present Carter’s Station Cemetery is located, a small building to serve as a house of worship and as a school. They then organized a Christian Society. In 1803 second church building was constructed on the site of the present church. Made of hewn pine logs, it was two stories high with stairs running to the upper story. The building was covered with shingled and had only one window. Matilda Maloney “Aunt Polly” recalled that this building was destroyed by fire and warned the children to be careful of matches as they would not want another church to burn. The building that burned was replaced by a one-story structure built with a fireplace in one end. This structure served as a church until the present church building was completed in 1879, at which time the trustees of the church, John P. Carter, Daniel L. Simpson, Jer. McMillian, A.M. Cash, and E. Jones, donated the former church building to J. G. Weems, C. L. Pope, and J. D. Barker as school directors of the 23rd district of Greene County to be used for educational purposes. When the building was no longer used as a schoolhouse, its ownership fell back to the church from which it was donated. It later was sold and torn down for the lumber. In Greeneville’s first newspaper, The Tennessee Express and Greeneville Monitor, Jonathan Jackson, under the date of June 14, 1805 announced that a camp meeting would be held at Carter’s Station to commence on August 23rd and continue four days. R. N. Price, author of Holston Methodism, quotes the Reverend Jacob Young as saying that he attended a camp meeting at Carter’s Station where about 10,000 people were assembled—an estimated number which seems far too large. It is told that families camped as far away as Carter’s Springs, later known as Hulls Springs. Some of the early ministers who preached at Carter’s Station were Jacob Young, Jonathon Jackson, Benjamin Van Pelt (whose home on Lick Creek was a favorite stopping place for Bishop Francis Asbury), and Benjamin Williams (who is buried on the site of the camp ground). The year of 1823 brought a great revival of religion in the Carter’s Station area. This movement necessitated the building of a shed and a number of camps in which to hold the camp meetings. These camp meetings were attended by people from Rogersville, Greeneville, Warrensburg, and from as far away as Southwest Virginia. It was not unusual for entire families to stay at the camp for days or weeks in order to be near for the camp meetings. In 1836 the trustees of Carter’s Station meeting house and Camp Ground purchased from John Olinger nine acres of land to be used for camp meetings. These trustees were Benjamin Williams, Daniel Key, Isaac Harmon, Ellis Carter, Ezekiel Carter, James Goodin, and John Pogue. In 1847 a second shed was built, said to be one of the finest in Tennessee. It was 80 feet long and 50 feet wide, made of well-hewed timbers and covered with boards. It was almost surrounded by two rows of camps. In 1878 the sanctuary portion of the present building was erected, facing the main road which then passed in front of the outside entrance to the sanctuary. The Hybargers recall hearing that their great grandfather, James M. Maloney, died of a heart attack on the steps of the church in 1896 as additional work was being done on the new building. In the 1930’s the wide pink plank floors were replaced with hardwood floors, and the stage, which ran the entire width of the church, was removed and a more modern pulpit was built. Electric lighting fixtures have been installed instead of the old oil lamps which hung on the walls of the church, and gas heaters do the job once done by the wood- burning stoves. More recently classrooms and a fellowship room have been added. In August 1886 a post office with George A. Maloney as postmaster was established nearby and given the name Albany. The name Albany was chosen instead of the original name, Carter’s Station, in order to avoid confusion with Carter’s Station Depot on the East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia Railroad in Carter County. Hence, the church later became known in the Holston Conference by this name, although the post office no longer existed. From the Carter’s Station Church at least two ministers have gone out to serve the cause of Methodism: Daniel Carter served the church for fifty years, and John Key, who removed to Monroe County, served as one of the main promoters of Hiwassee College. Ferris-1892, Early-1897, Muncy, Wagner, Malone, Builderback, Harris-1908, Ellison, Fox, Walker, Jones, Wirrac, Booth, Atkins, Ross-1950, Pagans, Trobaugh, Atkinson, Carpenter, Campbell, Brantley, Harlow, Matthews, Emmert. Brief History of Carter’s Station meeting house and Camp Grounds The Carter’s Station Church and old camp grounds, Albany United Methodist Church, is located on the Rogersville-Greeneville Road (Highway 70), eight miles northwest of Greeneville near the old Post Office of Albany. The road passing through the settlement was the Old Babbs Mill Wagon Road that ran east to west through the county from near Rheatown to Hawkins County line at Bulls Gap. The camp grounds on which the church stand and the adjoining lands (now the Diamond G. Ranch), dates back to one of the churches principal founders, Joseph Carter. Joseph Carter received the land grant, which included the later church grounds, from the State of North Carolina, September 20th, 1787, after the improvements were made. A Christian society was organized by 1790 and a preaching place built on the hill in the present Carter’s Station Cemetery. Services were held there up until the Great Revival era. Shortly after 1800, a church was built at the site of the present church, made of hewed pine logs about forty feet long, and thirty feet wide, two stories high. The building was covered with a board roof and had one window. Besides the traveling preachers that preached at Carter’s Station in the early years, two of the local preachers were Reverend Benjamin Van Pelt and Reverend Benjamin Williams. Reverend Van Pelt’s home on Lick Creek was a favorite stopping place of Bishop Asbury. Reverend Benjamin Williams, one of the leaders of the camp meetings is buried on the camp meeting grounds. Camp meetings were held at Carter’s Station for almost forty years. One of the best sheds in east Tennessee was built there in 1847 almost surrounded by two rows of camps. This was the second shed built there. In 1836 the trustees of Carter’s Station meeting house purchased the surrounding land, consisting of nine acres, that was being used for camp meetings. Trustees of Carter’s Station meeting house and Camp Grounds: Benjamin Williams, Daniel Key, Isaac Harmon, Ellis Carter, Ezekiel Carter, James Goodin, and John Pogue. In 1878, the sanctuary of the present building was erected. Daniel B. Carter went out from Carter’s Station and became a dedicated Methodist Minister for fifty year. John Key, a local preacher and resident of Carter’s Station, moved to Monroe County and perhaps did more for the erection of Hiwassee College than any other man. Grassy Creek’s Camp Meeting Place (Taken from the Sun Week-Ender, January 20th, 1973) Written by Bob Hurley, city editor You might know the place as Albany. Then, again, it might be Carter’s Station to you. Whichever name you know it by, you’re on the right track if you’re thinking of that spot out on Grassy Creek that is pretty enough to inspire poets and preachers, stir great congregations of camp meeting goers and put questions into the hearts of strangers, just passing through. To the real old timers, it’s Carter’s Station. The name Albany probably didn’t come along until well after the Civil War. The Holston Methodist Conference was primarily responsible for the birth of the Albany name. It was brought about for obvious reasons after another Methodist church just up the road apiece was organized under the name Carter’s Chapel. That poor conference already had a whole bunch of other churches with Carter in it so they decided they’d better re-do something before things got more confusing. Just where the Albany name came from is a pretty good question. Folks around there don’t really know unless they named it for the city by the same name in New York or the one in south Georgia. While they don’t find any particular fault with the name Albany—as a matter of fact, most of them think its even pretty—there is a move underway now by the folks at the church to revert the name back to Carter’s Station. They like the old name better because it has a historical ring to it. Nothing Big To an unsuspecting soul who is not familiar with Carter’s Station country, he or she might zip right through the place and never once think that they had just passed through one of the most important places in the annals of Tennessee, and more especially, Greene County, history. The community is located on the Rogersville Highway (Highway 70), four or five miles northwest of Greeneville. Its primary features are Grassy Creek, one of the most serene, down home-type streams in Greene County and an old store building that has been idle for several years. However, the church and the cemetery are “the” feature that most folks identify the community with. There was, at one time, houses, big and small, dotted all around the church, the store, and the stream. That, however, has changed considerably in this century. The nationwide trend of country folks moving to the city gave Carter’s Station’s population figures a fast reversal, wiping out over a century of continued growth and progress. On a more recent note, Diamond G. Ranch, Inc., one of the largest farms in East Tennessee, headed by the Austin Brothers of Greeneville, has purchased Carter’s Station land as it became available to the extent that the farm now almost completely surrounds the church. But the big farm, with mile after mile of well kept, white board fences and “the cattle of a thousand hills,” has only strengthened the beauty of the community, giving it a true “down on the farm” look and smell. No Place Like It So Carter’s Station’s numbers are not, by no means, big any more. But bigness is not always the best and to the people who still make up the community and to those who still drive into it to attend church—there’s just no place quite like it. For those who fought the Indians at Carter’s Station there was no place like it. For those who drove for miles and miles to attend some of the biggest camp meetings in the history of the Methodist Church in the mid 1800’s, there was no place quite like Carter’s Station. For those who went to school there until the school was discontinued several years ago, there is no place quite like Carter’s Station. They all had a part in molding Carter’s Station and, in so doing, molded a part of this county that has produced its share of outstanding men and women who have gone on to become internationally recognized for their positions of leadership. The Coming of the Carters The Tennessee Historical Committee marker near the Grassy Creek bridge tells of the birth of the settlement. John Carter, a name that has been used several times in every succeeding generation, started it all when he and his family packed up in Surry County, North Carolina, and tracked across the giant mountains and down the Grassy Creek canebrakes to this spot. Old John must have been a pretty influential fellow because other settlers followed suit and came to join him. That all happened in 1783. Now, in 1783, John Carter and all those other brave mortals had a lot more to deal with than a forest and its wild beasts and the fact that they didn’t have room service in their tents. Their brand new neighbors, the Indians, the people who were living around Carter’s Station even before it became Carter’s Station, didn’t take lightly to these paleface Carters moving in, shooting their game and cutting their trees. So Old John and the rest of the group road square into a hornet’s nest of mad Indians. Even before they could think of what to do first after they got there, they got mighty busy and constructed some sort of fortification to keep the red folks out of their hair. Homes, schools, and churches could come later, after the Indians had been shown that the paleface was there to stay. Good Choice Well, as it turned out, John’s taste for picking a good place to build a fort proved to be just about the best in the west at the time. Not only did it serve his purpose in keeping the Indians at a safe distance, but it has been the center of life at Carter’s Station ever since. And that was 189 years as of last fall. (1972) John’s choice still can’t be disputed. It is on the crest of a knoll with bluffs on three sides. From their guard positions, the early settlers could see for a good distance in all directions, thus maintaining a real battle edge and advantage over their new neighbors. All apparently went as well as could be expected for John and his crew. They not only succeeded in winning the Indian War but they built homes, and, later, a church and school. All succeeded, that is, with the exception of one Gibson Hardin. Poor Gibson was a brave frontiersman but his bravery made him the first in the number of the dead who sleeps in Carter’s Station big cemetery. While hunting, Gibson wandered just a little too far from the fort. A group of his unfriendly neighbors jumped him from behind a group of trees. A foot race followed but the Indians caught him when he tripped on a snag. When they left him, they took his scalp with them. A group of the settlers retrieved the body and planted it on a little rise just west of the fort in what was to become a common burial ground for centuries to follow. A New Building Tradition has it that the settlers constructed a little building near Hardin’s gravesite that was to be used as a combination school and church. All indications point to the fact that Carter and his followers put Methodism to work in that new building. They had brought it with them from Carolina. However, the fact that the date of their church construction went unrecorded or has since been forgotten, their heroics has not been esteemed in the light of other early church settlements. If they waited for two complete years to pass after they arrived before they built their new church that would have made them a pacesetter. But whether they waited those two years is questionable. That would have put the calendar on 1785, the year, that, according to history, Methodism came to Tennessee. Acuff’s Chapel, near Blountville, is given credit as being the first Methodist Church in the state. Nelson’s Chapel in Johnson City is given credit for being the second. There were even a couple of churches organized in Greene County, according to history that has seemingly outstripped Carter’s Station in historical significance. Vanpelt’s Chapel was reported as one of the first Methodist Societies in East Tennessee with a start around 1792 in this county. And ancient Ebenezer located on the banks of the Nolachuckey River at Chuckey, dates back to the Henry and Felix Earnest days of 1792. But old John Carter and company has religion on their minds when they set up camp at Carter’s Station and that was nine years before 1792. So it’s not out of reason to believe that they had established themselves a church by, at least, 1785. Church or no church, one thing is for certain—John and his crew did a lot of praying and hoped that the Indians realized how much good a Methodist prayer could accomplish. A Second Building Carter’s Station had outgrown its initial church and school by 1803 so they built a larger one, located in or near the fort. It was a well-built, two-story church. The bottom was for worshipping, the top for shooting at the Indians. The 1800’s were in their infancy when a religious awakening swept across the new country, square through the middle of Carter’s Station, Tennessee. That’s what got the camp meeting days started. Tradition has it that the first one was held at Carter’s Station in 1823 after a large shed had been built for the sole purpose of conducting the camp meeting services in. Chances are, if you’ve heard much about the camp meetings. They lasted for almost a lifetime, possibly 50 years. People came from near and far to Carter’s Station’s meetings. Families from Johnson City, Rogersville and other far away places as well as from all over Greene County, would literally move to Carter’s Station for a period of two or three weeks in the summer. Captain John Harmon of Warrensburg constructed an even larger shed in 1847 to replace the smaller one and completely surrounded it with two rows of campsites for arriving families. The Meetings’ Products One of the greatest preachers in the history of Methodism in Tennessee was a product of the camp meeting days at Carter’s Station. Reverend John Key’s parents came across the mountains, probably right behind the Carters. He didn’t join the church until he was 25 but the late start had absolutely no affect on his usefulness once he became active in the church. He became so dedicated that he served the Methodist Church with all his strength, preaching until the very day of his death in 1854. Key became known throughout the whole of the new state as a preacher who practiced what he preached, but one who was prosperous and whose hospitality reputation was unsurpassed. Though he was of limited education, he was a pioneer educator in the truest sense on the college level in Tennessee. He perhaps did more for the erection of Hiwassee College than any other man. Key and his wife had at least three children. They were born before he left Carter’s Station in 1825 for Monroe County, Tennessee. It was there that he became a prosperous landowner, farmer and trader. But more than that, he maintained a zeal to preach, to be a liberal giver to the church and its cause, namely, the education of ministers and Christian workers at Hiwassee. The Keys decided long before the children reached college age that they would be afforded with the best educational opportunities in the country. The decision paid rich rewards. Their only daughter became a world-renown musician and well-known in Methodist circles across the land. She was the wife of Dr. John H. Brunner, long time president of Hiwassee College. Two of his sons became lawyers. One of them, Summerfield Axley Key, was a prominent lawyer in Chattanooga for many years. But Key’s other son, David McKendree, was his pride and joy and indeed is still the pride and joy of Carter’s Station, the place of his birth. David McKendree Key has already been recorded as one of the brightest, most elegant ever to walk across the stage of Tennessee history. After serving as a lieutenant colonel in the Confederate Army, he was appointed by the Governor to the U.S. Senate to fill the unexpired term of Andrew Johnson, who had died not long after his election. Key’s incumbency was to last for almost the entire 6-year period. After the tour of duty in the Senate, he served four years as Postmaster General in President Hayes’ cabinet and was later appointed Federal Judge, his district including East Tennessee. Camp Meeting Spirit Reverend John Key and his wife had a knack for raising successful children but his real ability could not be fully appreciated until he was observed at the camp meeting altar. While he extorted at Carter’s Station during the height of the camp meeting days, there would be two or three more preachers doing the same thing but Key’s voice rang out above any and all. He seemed to do his best preaching when the congregation was singing to the point that they could be heard for a mile or so and when the mourner’s bench was full of penitents. He maintained a prayer, closet in his home and his family said that he would not leave the closet until he was satisfied that his prayer had accomplished its purpose. His success in life, in his family, and, mainly, in his camp meetings, bore witness that the praying did not go for naught. In Remembrance Reverend Key and his family will be remembered by Tennesseans until Grassy Creek stops its swift downward movement for emptying into Lick Creek. And that could be a long time. It’s the same way with a lot of other families who have walked the Carter’s Station way. Families like old John Carter’s. Some of his descendants are still around telling his story. Others like Hardin, Simpson, Weems, Myers, Reed, Ross, MacMillian, Jones, Armitage, Maloney and Hughes are telling proud family pasts, too. Carter’s Station’s past is big, as big as the wide-open, country-type look she still projects. But that’s not the whole of the Carter’s Station story. The 40 or so folks who still climb the hill to meet at the Carter’s Station meeting house are still writing on a legacy that can’t be judged until the final John Carter, the final John Key have been laid to rest beneath the big oaks. Again that won’t be until Grassy Creek calls it quits.