BOROUGH OF BELLEFONTE
POSITION TITLE: Administrative Assistant/Receptionist
DEPARTMENT: Administrative Office
REPORTS TO: Assistant Borough Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
To provide a wide variety of highly responsible and complex clerical and secretarial duties;
serves as an administrative secretary to the Borough Manager; manages, organizes and
processes all official records of the Borough; coordinates public meetings of staff, the
Borough Council, and Boards and Commissions; administers borough general liability
insurance and workers compensation claims; reconciles daily deposits; performs related
work as required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
1. Prepares and manages agendas as directed by the Borough Manager for the Council
and Borough Boards and Commissions.
2. Receives phone calls and serves as visitor receptionist for the administrative
3. Compiles supporting documents for agendas, posts meeting notices, including to the
4. Prepares/reviews meeting minutes for approval by Borough Council and other
Boards and Commissions of the Borough.
5. Prepares/reconciles daily deposits
6. May be requested to attend evening meetings of the Borough Council and other
Boards and Commissions as the recording secretary on an as-needed basis.
7. Publishes all required legal notices in the newspaper within the appropriate time
requirements dictated by state law.
8. Responds to requests for information and assistance from Council, staff and citizens.
9. Maintains records, filing, drafts and correspondence for Mayor, Borough Manager,
Assistant Borough Manager, and other Borough officials.
10. Maintains official records of the borough including ordinances, resolutions, minutes
of the Borough Council, contracts, agreements, etc.
11. Administers Borough’s general liability and workers compensation insurance claims,
processing, renewals, etc.
12. Assists with customer service and fellow staff projects as needed.
13. Performs other duties as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
Associate Degree from a business school, college or university in a related field; or
an equivalent combination of education and experience. A background in personnel
and contract management is desirable.
1. Knowledge of Local Government services, codes and ordinances.
2. Excellent knowledge of grammatical rules and standards;
3. Knowledge of basic accounting principles; knowledge of computer systems including
Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access);
4. knowledge of document retention and records management; knowledge of
secretarial and administrative practices.
Excellent oral and written communications skills including accurately recording
information in precise, written form; highly skilled in computer operations using all
Microsoft Office applications; good mathematical and accounting skills; skill in operating
office equipment including copiers, scanners and fax machines; excellent organizational,
document management and record keeping skills.
Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing; ability to work well with others;
ability to identify what information is needed by others for effective action; ability to deal
in a fair and courteous manner with a variety of individuals; ability to demonstrate
consideration of others regardless of ethnicity, gender, beliefs, or personal style; able to
effectively record, document and process complex information in a timely manner; ability
to fulfill requests or otherwise provide services, accurate information, or assistance in a
courteous and timely manner; ability to present a positive image of the borough; ability
to safeguard sensitive or confidential information from intentional or unintentional
disclosure; ability to maintain an accurate and legible record of official borough business;
ability to set goals and accomplish same.
ENVIRONMENTAL/PHYSIOLOGICAL FACTORS FOR THE POSITION:
1. Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and
responsibilities which may include the following: occasional bending, stooping,
twisting, squatting and reaching above the shoulder; sitting for extended periods of
time; lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
Special Requirement: Work requires continuous attention to detail in composing, typing and
proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines. Must be able to remain
even-tempered and work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle
multiple competing tasks.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following
competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
1. Problem solving – the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner,
gathers and analyzes information skillfully and maintains confidentiality.
2. Interpersonal skills – the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’
ideas an exhibits willingness to try new things.
3. Customer Service – the individual is able to interact in a positive way, even in
difficult situations, and in expressing the desire to help.
4. Oral Communication – the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or
negative situations and demonstrates group presentation skills.
5. Written Communication – the individual edits work for spelling and grammar,
presents numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written
6. Planning/Organizing – the individual prioritizes and plans work activities and uses
7. Quality control – the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and
monitors own work to ensure quality.
8. Adaptability – the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages
competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected
9. Dependability – the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows
instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve
10. Safety and security – the individual observes safety and security procedures and
uses equipment and materials properly.
I have read, understand, and believe that I can perform the essential functions of
the job description above.
Employee Signature Today’s Date
Supervisor Signature Today’s Date
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
being performed by employees and are not to be construed as a complete and
exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
Furthermore, essential functions may be added or deleted at the discretion of the
supervisor(s) and/or the Borough of Bellefonte as deemed necessary.