LIFE AFTER CREEK
What are your plans?
• Vocational or Technical
• “Gap” Year
• “I don’t have a clue…”
No Matter What Your Plans…
Talk with your Counselor!
• Every Senior MUST apply and
be accepted to a college
• Goal: Gives you the experience
of completing an application
• See your counselor for help
BE AWARE OF DEADLINES
• Senior year is all about DEADLINES – for
college apps, financial aid & scholarships,
changing courses, ordering your
announcements, and completing all your
requirements to GRADUATE!
• Schedule your Sr. Conference
• Register to retake ACT/SAT/Subject Tests
• Finalize your list of colleges & their app deadlines
• Finalize teacher/counselor recommendations
• Start working on your application essay
• Research/apply for scholarships – Check
• Check out military academy and ROTC deadlines
• Tell Mom and Dad about Sr. Parent Night on
Thursday, September 11 at 7:00 p.m. here in
• Prepare Early Decision/Early Action applications for
November deadlines. Request transcripts and
teacher recs from Post Grad.
• Polish your application essay
• Visit with College Representatives when they visit
• Complete the CSS Profile Form if your colleges
require it for application or financial aid
• Attend Out-of-State College Nights on Oct. 1 & 2
• Attend Greater Denver College Fair
on Saturday, Oct. 4!
• Turn in applications with December and January
deadlines to Post Grad
• Attend Financial Aid & Scholarships Workshop
on November 12th – bring Mom and Dad!
• Complete Applications
• Obtain worksheet for the Free Application for
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
The FAFSA can be submitted after January 1, 2009.
• If you need a counselor letter, schedule
• BEFORE APPOINTMENT, Complete Senior
Questionnaire. Available at
Look for “senior questionnaire” under the “about
• “The More You Give, the More You Get!”
• Parents can complete the “Senior Letter of Rec:
Parent Questionnaire” on Naviance
• Graduation requirements: Are you on track?
Credits Required for Graduation
English 4.0 Credits
Social Studies 3.0 Credits
Math 3.0 Credits
Science 3.0 Credits
Foreign Language 0.0 Credits
Fine Arts/Business/ 1.5 Credits
PE 1.5 Credits
Health 0.5 Credits
Additional 5.5 Credits
TOTAL 22.0 Credits
Types of Applications
• Online (preferred method)
• Paper (no longer preferred)
• Colorado Uniform Application – Accepted by every
public college/university in CO. Go to
• Common Application – See attached list. Go to
• Universal College Application – Go to
Dissecting a College Application
• Application Form – Biographical Data
• Application Fee – ranges from $0 - $60
• Transcript – GPA, class rank, courses
• Test Scores – ACT/SAT (www.fairtest.org)
• Essay – Check prompts carefully!
• Letter(s) of Recommendation – 1 or 2
• Audition/Portfolio/Interview – specific to
• Regular Decision
• Rolling Admissions
• Early Action (EA)
• Early Decision (ED)
• Restrictive Early Action (REA)
The Application Process
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
• Application & Fee
• Ensuring teacher has completed
• Making sure Teacher Recommendation Forms
are completed and signed by teacher and you
The Application Process
POST GRAD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR
• All Test Scores Reported to CCHS
• Recommendation Letters in your file
• If you are completing your application online,
you must print out ALL forms your high
school must complete (School Report
Form/Teacher or Counselor Recommendation
• Complete your portion of the form including
• Get the necessary teacher signature(s) on the
form before you turn it into Post Grad.
• Do this BEFORE you request a transcript!
Online Application Helpful Hints
• Do NOT request a transcript if you are
not 100% sure you will be completing
that school’s online application!
• Proofread BEFORE you click the
Completing the Common
• Create a Common App Account at www.commonapp.org
– Complete the Bio, Address, and Academics section on the
Common App website
• Log onto Naviance
– Complete Privacy Notice for Common Application (Click on “my
colleges” under the “about me” section)
– Fill in your Common Application User name and password on that
– Click on “my profile” under the “about me” section to verify
address, birthdate, etc. IF INFORMATION IS INCORRECT,
LET POST GRAD KNOW IMMEDIATELY!
• Complete the APPLICATION (includes activities and
essay) and required SUPPLEMENTS and submit.
Helpful Hint: Appropriate Names
• Use your legal name for all college
applications and communications. Most
will ask if you have a nickname.
• Use an appropriate e-mail address!
When to Complete your Online App
vs. When to Order Transcripts
You must be aware of TWO deadlines:
1. Post Grad Deadline –
Transcripts/Scores/Recommendation letters must be
requested 15 working days before the college app
2. College Application Deadline – Check individual
college websites for application checklist and
requirements. Application must be completed and
submitted by the college deadline.
• Note that most colleges now prefer students
• Complete your portion of the application
and turn it in with your fee and essay (if
required) to Post Grad by the required
• We will mail all parts of your application
• Can often complete online and print out to
• Carefully check the application instructions for each
college to which you are applying to see:
– IF they require test scores be sent directly from the
– IF they require SAT Subject Tests and what specific
tests, or ACT with Writing
• We will mail test scores at your request. If you do
not want us to send ALL your scores, go to
www.collegeboard.com for SAT/Subject Tests, or
www.actstudent.org for ACT. Small fee per request
for this service.
• Test Prep Classes start Sept. 15 at
• FREE access to test prep on
Naviance – Instructions on
• English teachers available in Post Grad:
• Monday 8th period
• Tuesday 5th & 8th periods
• Wednesday 2nd & 8th periods
• Thursday 5th & 8th periods
• Do not write your essay 1 hour before the
State ACT & CSAP Scores
• Be aware that your State ACT and
CSAP Scores are printed on
Colorado High School transcripts.
• Mandated by the State Legislature.
• $5 each
• Official or Unofficial
• Students will be billed in the spring
• Collected before Senior Check-Out
• No fee for Midyear and Final
• Check on Naviance to see if teacher recs
turned in. Click on “my colleges” under “about
me” section and scroll down.
• If not, GENTLY remind teacher
• IMPORTANT: Remember to say “Thank you!”
• Fill out Applicant Information and get teacher
signatures on college’s Teacher Rec Form if
needed and return to Post Grad. We attach their
• Do not ask for more than two teacher
What is our School Code?
• Colorado Admission Index (see white
• Grades count more than test scores
• Essays are HIGHLY encouraged or
required. Talk with your counselor if
For Priority Consideration*
• CU-Boulder November 15, 2008
• Colorado State December 1, 2008
• UNC December 1, 2008
* This is a CCHS deadline, not a college deadline.
Creating Your List
A “healthy” college list includes:
• Foundation School(s)
• Good Match Schools
• Reach Schools
What’s Wrong With This List?
• Wash U
• University of Colorado-Boulder
College Opportunity Fund
Go to this website to register for
your stipend if you plan to
apply to an in-state college or
university, public or private!
Do it TODAY!
A Few College Quirks
• CU-Boulder: World Geography highly recommended
• Arizona: Public universities require 4 years of math and
1 year of Fine Arts
• Kansas: Public universities require 1 year of Computer
• University of California System: requires 2 sequential
semesters of a Visual/Performing Art
• California State System: requires 1 year of biological
science and 1 year of physical science. Also requires 1
year of Visual/Performing Art
• Change of Program: Notify colleges if you make
changes to core classes after you have applied and/or
Family Connection by Naviance
Family Connection by Naviance
• Forgotten your password or username? See
Kathy, Cyd, or Peggy in Post Grad
• Track Application Status: click on “my colleges”
under “about me” section
• Scholarships: click on “scholarship list” under the
“about college” section
• Scholarship Match: click on “scholarship match”
• Colleges Visiting Creek: click on “visit schedule”
under “about college” section. Then “SIGN ME
Resources & Upcoming Events
• College Reps Visiting Creek: Use Family Connection
by Naviance or check Bulletin Board opposite Post
Grad. Sign up on Naviance.
• Out-of-State Colleges hold Information Sessions and
Interviews in metro area
• In-State College Night – Cherokee Trail H.S.
October 8 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
• Out-of-State College Nights
Oct. 1 6:30 p.m. Monarch H.S.
Oct. 2 6:30 p.m. John F. Kennedy H.S.
• Greater Denver College Fair and Workshop
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Financial Aid & Scholarships
• Attend Financial Aid & Scholarships
Workshop on November 12 at 7:00
p.m. in Shillinglaw Auditorium
• Use Scholarship websites:
individual college websites
• Creek Mail
• Listen to Announcements!
• Read Home Herald
• Visit Post Grad
• Utilize Naviance
• Talk with Teachers/Family/
• Work Hard
• Be Balanced
• Make Memories